Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pomp posted:

This game
... Is good

:hmmyes:

Currently playing on Normal because I am Bad At Video Games. Went with Grey Phoenix as my first investigation target, currently have the tutorial crew + Blueblood and Torque.

Question about Godmother - how do I utilize her Alpha Strike breach action effectively? It says it moves her up in the turn order and gives her an extra action on her first turn... but then both shooting her gun normally or using her cone ability both end the turn immediately, regardless of whether I move or not. I haven't unlocked any other abilities for her so far that don't end the turn; do I just need to load her up on grenades to get the most bang for my buck with that ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

Currently playing on Normal because I am Bad At Video Games. Went with Grey Phoenix as my first investigation target, currently have the tutorial crew + Blueblood and Torque.

Question about Godmother - how do I utilize her Alpha Strike breach action effectively? It says it moves her up in the turn order and gives her an extra action on her first turn... but then both shooting her gun normally or using her cone ability both end the turn immediately, regardless of whether I move or not. I haven't unlocked any other abilities for her so far that don't end the turn; do I just need to load her up on grenades to get the most bang for my buck with that ability?

Well, grenades don't cost a turn so no. It is mostly used for letting her move farther on the first turn, an ability very useful for a shotgunner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cerious posted:

You don't need to guess, it'll tell you straight up on the mission selection screen what breaches and how many encounters to expect.

Unless I'm missing something that's not always true and it also doesn't tell you which entries the bombs are allowed on?

I've only had to reload the one mission because I didn't really get that some entries are just terrible and how to determine that which led to a bleeding squaddie turn one so not really a big deal yet but I feel like I'm not really grasping a few systems. Like Cherub's Phalanx - it seems like it'd be good but in practice it doesn't actually draw fire? Only one person will actually aim at him, the other aggressive units don't care. I thought it was because they aim at different breach points but if they all enter the same one it's the same thing, only one person aims at him, not everyone like it says.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 26, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Godmother is just murdering everyone here. MECs, Andromedons, Guardians, Bruisers, if there's a +damage breach she'll one shot them all.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Is Verge's berserk making enemies shoot civilians even a thing? I've been using it with reckless disregard for safety and it has never happened. To me it's his bread and butter, and the stun is more situational because the damage output of getting a flank shot from berserk and then an aim boosted regular shot is beastly.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a legendary shotgun that gives run and gun (i'm not sure if there's others, i have two pistols), so keep an eye out for those. Mostly, it lets her cover a TON of ground and come in from wierd breach points, especially with her mobility promotion.

Alpha strike's real genius move is that it seems to keep her in the higher turn priority for most of the mission; and you can basically have two people in first slot, and lets you do planning shenanigans like that, or put her in #3 so someone can use a breach power in #2 but not go third, or take advantage of bonuses in another window.

There's probably a case to be made for objective-grab missions, since she can book it to the objective faster while everyone throws out flashbangs

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

lazorexplosion posted:

Is Verge's berserk making enemies shoot civilians even a thing? I've been using it with reckless disregard for safety and it has never happened. To me it's his bread and butter, and the stun is more situational because the damage output of getting a flank shot from berserk and then an aim boosted regular shot is beastly.

I had a faceless punch at a hostage once

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

lazorexplosion posted:

I haven't yet had a civilian shot that I can recall, but Chryssalids will run their full movement to cocoon a civilian hiding rather than attack the trooper RIGHT NEXT TO THEM (so uh... maybe don't berserk Chryssalids).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Verge is tankier than Axiom or Cherub lmfao

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Verge's berserk made a faceless kill a civvie which was terrible

Today I:

- beat up Grey Phoenix, that was a cool final mission
--said mission would have been impossible without terminal's free heals
- obtained one (1) terrible snake lady

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Verge's berserk made a faceless kill a civvie which was terrible

Today I:

- beat up Grey Phoenix, that was a cool final mission
--said mission would have been impossible without terminal's free heals
- obtained one (1) terrible snake lady

Unfortunately, the snake lady was also racist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao Zephyr is basically just the good Templar build from WOTC

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RBA Starblade posted:

Unless I'm missing something that's not always true and it also doesn't tell you which entries the bombs are allowed on?

It tells you how many encounters to expect (some story missions throw a curveball), it tells you if there is doors, breaching walls, security doors or vents.

You can use a flash bomb on literally any breach, just make sure the person using it is in the second slot. It'll say they can't use it, ignore that and click on it anyway and it'll update. Its a stupid bug.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If you're struggling with dominators, flash grenades will disable their mind control mojo

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm gonna have to stop playing for a bit and wait for a bugfix patch, cause otherwise I basically never get to use Axiom again because his entire inventory just vanishes into thin air after my most recent mission.

Gun, armor, attachments, utility items, everything, gone. No epic weapon, but everything just *gone*. For no discernible reason. And I'm not the only one having this problem, it seems.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man the illussion of being 'good cops' really goes out the window when you get a mission where you just blow into some back alley and mow down every person inside before they get a chance to do anything.

I had a mission where I killed every enemy before they took a single action, and the only reason we went on that mission was to get an epic pistol. So Chimer Squad basically pulled into some poor guy's house where he was showing off this fancy pistol he found and loving murdered him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Leal posted:

If you cut the lower half it'd be a pretty good meme image

Cop apologist sighted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Kraken posted:

Man the illussion of being 'good cops' really goes out the window when you get a mission where you just blow into some back alley and mow down every person inside before they get a chance to do anything.

I had a mission where I killed every enemy before they took a single action, and the only reason we went on that mission was to get an epic pistol. So Chimer Squad basically pulled into some poor guy's house where he was showing off this fancy pistol he found and loving murdered him.

your fault for not using tranq rounds I M H O T B H

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

dogstile posted:

It tells you how many encounters to expect (some story missions throw a curveball), it tells you if there is doors, breaching walls, security doors or vents.

You can use a flash bomb on literally any breach, just make sure the person using it is in the second slot. It'll say they can't use it, ignore that and click on it anyway and it'll update. Its a stupid bug.

I'm almost done the third faction and I've still only seen one vent. My snake lady goes un-vented.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Cop apologist sighted.

poo poo guys its the

Fuzz

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mode 7 posted:

Got to the Take Down Sacred Coil mission after selecting it for my first faction and yeah this is complete horseshit that I have no way to survive. Soured me a little, I've been really, really enjoying the game up until this point but the difficulty spike is just incredible. Clearly I should have been upgrading or loading out my squad differently but given that I've curbstomped just about every mission on the way to here, it certainly didn't feel like I'd been doing anything wrong and more like the game decided to just say "no, gently caress you" with an overwhelming encounter.

After doing it on one-up-from-normal, my advice: Rush the two objectives on turn1, before the reinforcement wave. Kinda mandatory. The boss's rampage is literally unstoppable; you have to weather it. He depowers after the first turn and becomes a more normal mook. That applies to all reapers; their rampage seems to last a single turn, so once they've done it its best to leave them alone I think? This can also be pre-empted by flash-banging a reaper before he activates momentum. Also, aliens have a lot more bark than bite; they're much depowered from their XCOM2 origins, don't freak out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Coolguye posted:

your fault for not using tranq rounds I M H O T B H

I don't really need intel so I don't bother with tranq rounds on most missions now.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't really need intel so I don't bother with tranq rounds on most missions now.

bad cop

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

You can give her a hair trigger at some point, which makes standard shots not end your turn.

lazorexplosion posted:

I think so if there's no enemies in range or something. Had a berserker liquidized a civvie once.

TheParadigm posted:

There's a legendary shotgun that gives run and gun (i'm not sure if there's others, i have two pistols), so keep an eye out for those. Mostly, it lets her cover a TON of ground and come in from wierd breach points, especially with her mobility promotion.

Alpha strike's real genius move is that it seems to keep her in the higher turn priority for most of the mission; and you can basically have two people in first slot, and lets you do planning shenanigans like that, or put her in #3 so someone can use a breach power in #2 but not go third, or take advantage of bonuses in another window.

There's probably a case to be made for objective-grab missions, since she can book it to the objective faster while everyone throws out flashbangs

There's 2 epic weapons for each primary, except for Zephyr (whatever she's not that great anyways). Each gives a skill. I think one is cd and one is charge per mission.

Pistol: Lightning Hands/CD, Fan Fire/Charge
SMG: Chain Shot, Hail of Bullets
AR: Serial, Banish/Charge
Shotgun: Run and Gun (CD), Double Tap (Charge)

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 26, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So I had a fun day. I’ve been in the hospital all day and spent most of the time playing this on my work laptop. Got a soft lock after about 6ish hours. Went to start it up again and there were no saves listed anywhere. Even steam cloud was like ‘bwahhhh?’

Turns out that the saves are in my documents which unless i’m attached to the vpn are inaccessible due to roving profiles stored in the data center. The game never complained about this and let me create saves and showed a whole list of saves through the campaign until I had to reload and lost it all.

Fun. On top of an already mind shattering day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dogstile posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that it was bugged or that they needed to be the second one in. Thanks!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

pro tip, claymore at max rank gets to use all items twice, this includes motile inducer which is an item that instantly gives another player a turn (but still doesn't take an action just like any other item).

Claymore is broken good.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Torque is apparently voiced by Erica Lindbeck. Aka Loona from Helluva Boss. I knew I heard that voice somewhere. Also, Torque is at least in part such an abrasive bitch because she doesn't want to connect with people who might not come back from the next fight. Kelly is trying to help her get over that because it reminds her of herself during the war.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Good to see that cats at least survived the Advent purge of domesticated animals.

Apparently Mutons are given a cat to care for to teach them compassion as part of their rehabilitation program. Axiom was an exemption because he already demonstrated a capacity for it in his origin story. Also, Sectoids and cats don't get along well naturally. Cats instictually see Sectoids as adversaries, and Sectoids have to all but use outright subversion tactics to get their trust. :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alot of the people in this thread are real happy with zephyr but man the fact that her damage doesn't scale at all really just sucks. 5-6 damage with the perk is just so underwhelming, and only 4-5 on her aoe.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Magni posted:

Torque is apparently voiced by Erica Lindbeck. Aka Loona from Helluva Boss. I knew I heard that voice somewhere. Also, Torque is at least in part such an abrasive bitch because she doesn't want to connect with people who might not come back from the next fight. Kelly is trying to help her get over that because it reminds her of herself during the war.

Apparently Mutons are given a cat to care for to teach them compassion as part of their rehabilitation program. Axiom was an exemption because he already demonstrated a capacity for it in his origin story. Also, Sectoids and cats don't get along well naturally. Cats instictually see Sectoids as adversaries, and Sectoids have to all but use outright subversion tactics to get their trust. :3:

1) Torque: "So, you gonna start wearing sweaters?"
Kelly: "Bite your tongue."

I chuckled at that bit.

2) >cats don't like Sectoids
>That isn't fuckin' stopping the Sectoids from loving the kittycats.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sectoids gotta earn a cats love.

Mutons just get a free cat.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the next one gonna have marriage mechanics

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Magni posted:

Torque is at least in part such an abrasive bitch
lol snakeskin pun

Magni posted:

Also, Sectoids and cats don't get along well naturally. Cats instictually see Sectoids as adversaries
as another species with inherent mind control powers, of course cats hate them

sectoids coming to earth, trying to usurp the mental domination cats already had over humanity, they're natural enemies

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Torque: checking inventory
Claymore: alright
Torque: How's your gear?
Claymore: Still there
Torque: You are such an rear end
Claymore: At least I have one

Got a chuckle out of me :butt:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Magni posted:

Torque is apparently voiced by Erica Lindbeck. Aka Loona from Helluva Boss. I knew I heard that voice somewhere.
It's annoying that you have to sit through the whole credits to see the VA list but to add to this:

Named Voice Actors posted:

Axiom: Chris Fries
Blueblood: Todd Williams
Cherub: Rama Vallury
Claymore: Kamal Khan
Godmother: Mela Lee
Patchwork: Jeannie Tirado
Shelter: Mark Mercado
Terminal: Jenny Yokobori
Torque: Erica Lindbeck
Verge: Matt Yang King
Zephyr: Miranda O'Hare

Bellus Mar: Rama Vallury
Celio Dash: Dave Boat
Commissioner Maloof: Sarah Williams
Custodian Xel: Sarah Wiliams
Deputy Mayor Parata: Moe Irvin
Director Kelly: Kate Higgins
Xug: Kat Cressida
Floyd Tesseract: Kiff VandenHeuvel
Mayor Nightingale: Nika Futterman
Violet: Fate Mata
Whisper: Chris Parson

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Some part of me wishes I got a flat 1-2 intel from every guy I captured. That part of me is an idiot, it would never work out in my favor. But it would feel a whole lot better, since I personally try not to kill everyone. To the point where I found myself trying to subdue self destructing androids. :facepalm:

So are we ready to wildly speculate about what will get folded into XCOM3? My thought is that each continent will have a local commander. This local commander will be one of the big name, premade, characters like Shen or Bradford. So every mission on that continent has your personal squad, with a guest star character. Then for major plotline missions the field commanders team up for a mission with breach mechanics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

xcom 3 will be stellaris dlc

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

habituallyred posted:

Some part of me wishes I got a flat 1-2 intel from every guy I captured. That part of me is an idiot, it would never work out in my favor. But it would feel a whole lot better, since I personally try not to kill everyone. To the point where I found myself trying to subdue self destructing androids. :facepalm:

So are we ready to wildly speculate about what will get folded into XCOM3? My thought is that each continent will have a local commander. This local commander will be one of the big name, premade, characters like Shen or Bradford. So every mission on that continent has your personal squad, with a guest star character. Then for major plotline missions the field commanders team up for a mission with breach mechanics.

Pomp posted:

Is the next one gonna have marriage mechanics

X-COM 3 will be a reboot of Apocalypse as a city management sim with mechanics borrowed from Crusader Kings 2 (genetic splicing explains how they have offspring)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would LOVE for xcom 3 to adopt discrete characters with unique abilities and personalities but it might be too much of a departure from the formula. I love naming and playing dress up with my little team of misfits but tbh I love the idea of having entertaining characters and team composition more.

They clearly know how to do good character writing because there are little snippets of it in this game but there just isn't enough between mission dialogue to fully characterize anybody and the combat barks in battle aren't designed to do that either.

Give me some expanded (optional) between missions bits, make the in-combat dialogue more fun, and I'll never miss my purple mohawk squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Alot of the people in this thread are real happy with zephyr but man the fact that her damage doesn't scale at all really just sucks. 5-6 damage with the perk is just so underwhelming, and only 4-5 on her aoe.

Her alpha drops off hard in the latter stages, but she continues to make for a great point guard, particularly if you juice her with adrenaline for even more mobility and a stack of armour. You could easily make a case for someone else in her slot though (if you've levelled them up). I think the biggest benefit of her late game is the AI losing its mind when it has an enemy right on top of it.