Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I picked up some Comply tips and while they kick the poo poo out of the nobrands I was using, they're still a bit shorter and a bit narrower than large Shure Olives, and aren't quite as comfortable nor nearly as isolating. That could partly be due to the narrower nozzle on the shures allowing for more foam over and above the larger tips, but are there any frikken huge (width and depth) tips of good quality for non-shure IEMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Comply makes an olive shaped version... comfort plus I think?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Baby Proof posted:

Is there a good A/B test for determining if headphones would benefit from an amplifier? If you had a setup that was struggling to get good output, how would you pick out the difference?

:crickets:

That's kind of what I thought. Is there no good way to test with your average headphones without also damaging your hearing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Baby Proof posted:

:crickets:

That's kind of what I thought. Is there no good way to test with your average headphones without also damaging your hearing?

It’s difficult to volume-match your A/B and your brain almost always perceives slightly-louder as better.

Pedantically: any device with a volume control on its headphone output has a “headphone amp.” If you’re happy, save your money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Can we talk about amps and DACs for a minute? I'm looking for a sleeker new setup for my office.
Currently, I'm running a Focusrite 2i2 (or 4i4 at home) to a power amp for my speakers. But I don't need the mic inputs so so I'm leaning more towards a DAC/amp instead.
It makes a great headphone amp, and also a fantastic preamp SIMULTANEOUSLY. It works great. I can control the speaker and headphone volumes separately which is nice, but not an absolute necessity.

What other DACs are there that do proper preamp out or even better, speaker amplification, that come in a smaller form factor? I've already got plenty of rack-mount sized 19" DACs and amps I could use, but I am trying to keep it small and tidy. Besides, I would get a lot of odd looks with something like an Emotiva XDA-2 and UPA-2 stack sitting next to me.
Bonus points go to units that allow you to switch between Headphone / Speaker output without having to unplug the headphones.

I was considering maybe the Drop THX 789 before I realised the SE passthrough is just that; a passthrough and not actually a preamp out. Same problem applies to the Monoprice THX AAA 887 headphone amp.
The Monoprice Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC THX 887 blah blah blah thing seems like it could work, and work well. The menu navigation seems fucky though.
The Topping DX7s might do the trick? It doesn't mute the analog out when you plug in headphones, but there's also no way to mute the analog out...

I COULD use my MiniDSP 2x4 HD as a DAC for a power amp and headphone amp but that seems needlessly complicated and silly and not an upgrade over just having the Focusrite. Also it would look like a rats nest of poo poo.
I COULD use my TEAC stack (UD-501 + AX501). It would look cleaner, but that also takes up a fair amount of desk space, even when stacked.

I think this whole post is all really dumb, it's a solved problem and I probably hit endgame with a cheap Audio interface, but I'm bored and shopping so what do you all think?

Edit: oh yeah I forgot to mention that the JDSLabs Element II might also work.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 26, 2020

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I had been using a Focusrite 2i2 as a combination DAC/headphone amp for a couple of years, I switched to a Khadas Tone Board + JDS Atom a few months ago, and it's been a notable improvement. Darker background, less noise on super sensitive IEMs, more precise imaging, and drives higher impedance buds/IEMs much more effortlessly. The Atom acts as a preamp when headphones are not plugged in, so I use that as the output to the mini amp that powers my desktop speakers.

It's nothing fancy, and I'm not necessarily suggesting these specific items since it seems like you're looking at more expensive gear too. I suspect though that you'll be pleased with any reasonable DAC + amp pairing or a headphone focused DAC combo unit from like Topping or iFi or something of the like, in terms of pure audio performance as a headphone amp compared to the Focusrite.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 26, 2020

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

so my Beyer DT1770s came in early. have to say that I'm actually pretty surprised how good these sound. some emphasized treble around 6 - 8k, but nothing terrible, no more than the hd800s by comparison.

and so many reviewers were saying there was no midrange on these.... definitely disagree on that notion. if anything it's neutral and not overly emphasized like a lot of sennheiser cans. pretty impressed for a closed back can.

what impresses me the most about these is how clear, consistent, and bass notes are on these. I can easily say it's comparable to some planars I've listened to.

all I can take away from this is many headphones reviewers don't have any experience doing anything professional with music, audio, or anything else related. consequently their understanding of how things "should" sound is a bit skewed compared to anyone who does anything related to music production work.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 27, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can we talk about amps and DACs for a minute? I'm looking for a sleeker new setup for my office.
Currently, I'm running a Focusrite 2i2 (or 4i4 at home) to a power amp for my speakers. But I don't need the mic inputs so so I'm leaning more towards a DAC/amp instead.
It makes a great headphone amp, and also a fantastic preamp SIMULTANEOUSLY. It works great. I can control the speaker and headphone volumes separately which is nice, but not an absolute necessity.

What other DACs are there that do proper preamp out or even better, speaker amplification, that come in a smaller form factor? I've already got plenty of rack-mount sized 19" DACs and amps I could use, but I am trying to keep it small and tidy. Besides, I would get a lot of odd looks with something like an Emotiva XDA-2 and UPA-2 stack sitting next to me.
Bonus points go to units that allow you to switch between Headphone / Speaker output without having to unplug the headphones.

I was considering maybe the Drop THX 789 before I realised the SE passthrough is just that; a passthrough and not actually a preamp out. Same problem applies to the Monoprice THX AAA 887 headphone amp.
The Monoprice Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC THX 887 blah blah blah thing seems like it could work, and work well. The menu navigation seems fucky though.
The Topping DX7s might do the trick? It doesn't mute the analog out when you plug in headphones, but there's also no way to mute the analog out...

I COULD use my MiniDSP 2x4 HD as a DAC for a power amp and headphone amp but that seems needlessly complicated and silly and not an upgrade over just having the Focusrite. Also it would look like a rats nest of poo poo.
I COULD use my TEAC stack (UD-501 + AX501). It would look cleaner, but that also takes up a fair amount of desk space, even when stacked.

I think this whole post is all really dumb, it's a solved problem and I probably hit endgame with a cheap Audio interface, but I'm bored and shopping so what do you all think?

Edit: oh yeah I forgot to mention that the JDSLabs Element II might also work.

I'm also considering an Element II over my current Modi+Valhalla 2. The Valhalla sounds nice but the tubes are a pain in the rear end. Gotta turn the speakers off before turning on/off the amp and I don't like to leave the tubes on 24/7,

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

My headset broke and I needed a new pair immediately. I couldn't wait for shipping. The best offering my local big box store had was the Hyperx Cloud Alpha S. I wasn't expecting much since gaming headsets are usually garbage but I actually like these. Good highs, acceptable mids. The bass is too weak for my tastes on EDM and hip hop even on the highest of 3 slider settings. Since I'm using them on a computer I was able to fix that with Equalizer APO. Bass is turned up to my preference now and there's still no distortion. Mic and cord are detachable/replaceable which is a must for me.

It has a toggle to enable virtual 7.1 sound, which will turn a stereo source into tinny, distorted garbage. The real use is pairing it with surround sources. With many sci-fi and action movies it sounds great. Christopher Nolan hires some outstanding sound designers. BWOOOOOM! The virtual surround also sounds awesome on Battlefield V. For $100 I'm pleased, Will probably make an upgrade ~$300 in the future for better performance on classical music in particular but these are more than adequate for now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Do non-IEM wireless sport headphones exist? Whenever I wear IEM's, especially while exercising it messes with my inner ear and I end up with weird pressure, headaches, and dizziness for days afterwards.

Looking for small, compact, wireless, stays in place. I also need some sound bleed through, I have to be able to hear traffic and people around me. I get really curious about the bone conduction route.

Any suggestions?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

eSporks posted:

Do non-IEM wireless sport headphones exist? Whenever I wear IEM's, especially while exercising it messes with my inner ear and I end up with weird pressure, headaches, and dizziness for days afterwards.

Looking for small, compact, wireless, stays in place. I also need some sound bleed through, I have to be able to hear traffic and people around me. I get really curious about the bone conduction route.

Any suggestions?

Portapro, Sportapro, KSC-75, KPH-30i. They're all the same driver, pick the one you like. I find the KPH most comfortable, but the portapro is more durable.

e: oh, wireless. uh... they make bluetooth portapros I guess but they're a bit DIY looking.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eSporks posted:

Any suggestions?

Workout headphones.

http://blueant.com.au/products/headphones/pumpzone/ (over ear)

http://blueant.com.au/products/headphones/pumpsoul/ (on-ear)

They do an IEM too but seems like that isn't what you're after. I have no idea where you buy these outside Australia.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've started to listen to music from my iPod again, and I'm finding my current headphones are a bit too bulky to wear comfortably during my bus commute and way too big to wear at work before we open. I'd like to get a pair of decent IEMs for more portability.

Budget - $100-$150 CAD
Source - 6th gen iPod classic, rockboxed
Isolation Requirements - Enough to block out bus engine sounds if possible
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Unsure, honestly
Past Headphones - ATH-m50 and ATH-m50bt, both with Brainwavz replacement memory foam pads that make them actually comfortable. I know those alter the sound slightly. I like the clarity of them over the cheap headphones/earbuds I had used before.
Preferred Music - City pop and Japanese fusion jazz, FM Synth/Chiptune game soundtracks, and a little bit of rock.

I've seen the Moondrop Starfields and the Tin T4s recommended in some places. Would either of those be a good buy, or should I look at something else for what I listen to?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Both are pretty good, but the Starfields will probably be tuned more to your liking.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Well poo poo, one side of my monoprice planars just abruptly went dead. Checked the wires and internal connections for continuity and everything seems ok so I assume the driver diaphragm or something quit.

That set are on sale right now but frankly 2 years of use off several hundred dollar headphones is bullshit so I’m open to suggestions if monoprice declines to warranty them. Preferably <300usd, closed back, and driveable off a usb dac or mobile phone.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 29, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Workout headphones.

http://blueant.com.au/products/headphones/pumpzone/ (over ear)

http://blueant.com.au/products/headphones/pumpsoul/ (on-ear)

They do an IEM too but seems like that isn't what you're after. I have no idea where you buy these outside Australia.
Needs to work with a bike helmet.

Before IEM's earbuds with retaining clips were all the rage, but they seem to have died off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eSporks posted:

Before IEM's earbuds with retaining clips were all the rage, but they seem to have died off.

I'm not sure any non-IEM headphones will work with a bike helmet.

Wait I got it. https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundwear-companion.html#v=soundwear_companion_black

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Hey, I'm thinking about picking up another pair of headphones so I can get my Sennheisers I use for recording refurbished. I'm considering going cheap with some Grado SR60's or SR80's, but I've liked some Audio-Technica's I've tried in the past, and would be happy to get suggestions on anything at all.

Budget - $200 or less
Source - Onkyo receiver for video games, a Pyle amp for listening to records, and my USB audio interface every now and then too
Isolation Requirements - I don't think I need it, my HD-280 Pros handle this alright
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think something that'd handle vocals nicely would be cool
Past Headphones - I've got a pair of AirPod Pros from work (they're alright I guess), I've killed a few KSC-75's, and also have a pretty aged pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros (these are pretty good, but I wouldn't mind something a little lighter on the ears)
Preferred Music - Various flavors of rock (garage, punk, indie) but also some jazz and hip-hop

Hey, sorry to revive this. Following the thread lately I see the Drop Sennheiser 58X's getting recommended a lot. Personally, though, I think I prefer the look of the 6XX's they've got up now. Is there any compelling reason to go one way or the other? Also, how would Grados compare at a similar price point (say anything from the Prestige series all the way up to the 225e)? I am working on a JDS Labs cmoyBB to power them too FWIW.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
58x vs 6xx is personal preference mostly if you have an amp already. People say the 58x sounds more “lively” which may or may not be to everyone’s liking.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eSporks posted:

How about the Plantronics Backbeat Fit line? You could also look into airpods or bone-conducting headphones

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nitsuga posted:

Hey, sorry to revive this. Following the thread lately I see the Drop Sennheiser 58X's getting recommended a lot. Personally, though, I think I prefer the look of the 6XX's they've got up now. Is there any compelling reason to go one way or the other? Also, how would Grados compare at a similar price point (say anything from the Prestige series all the way up to the 225e)? I am working on a JDS Labs cmoyBB to power them too FWIW.

6xx: slightly more laid back treble, warmer, bigger bass, needs an amp to sound great, and will scale well with fancy amps
58x: somewhat brighter and more aggressive, sounds p. much the same whatever you plug it into

they're both great, it's honestly a matter of utility imo.

Grados are much brighter. Much, much brighter. Also, they are not built well. Some people go crazy for them, you really just have to try them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Grados are much brighter. Much, much brighter. Also, they are not built well. Some people go crazy for them, you really just have to try them.

Grados feel like they're hot-glued together in Brooklyn by some hipster, because they are. It's part of the charm.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dogen posted:

58x vs 6xx is personal preference mostly if you have an amp already. People say the 58x sounds more “lively” which may or may not be to everyone’s liking.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

6xx: slightly more laid back treble, warmer, bigger bass, needs an amp to sound great, and will scale well with fancy amps
58x: somewhat brighter and more aggressive, sounds p. much the same whatever you plug it into

I wondered about Grados' build quality, maybe I can still check them out one day.

Anyway, would the 58X perform better unamplified than the 6XX? Any idea if plugging into the receiver or audio interface would be amplified? I can't imagine the phono preamp for my turntable is, but plugging in the cmoyBB wouldn't be too much of a hassle for any of these scenarios.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
What’s the best DAC and AMP that’s less than $300 total for both? mine seems to losing its balance and it’s pretty old. I mostly use an M1060 right now but planning to either get an Ananda or an LCD-2C.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mang Tomas posted:

What’s the best DAC and AMP that’s less than $300 total for both? mine seems to losing its balance and it’s pretty old. I mostly use an M1060 right now but planning to either get an Ananda or an LCD-2C.

Stacked separates or all in one? What inputs do you need?
e: also, I'm assuming the amp is just for headphones?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nitsuga posted:

Anyway, would the 58X perform better unamplified than the 6XX?

i think if you read the post you quoted you'll find the answer is yes.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don’t really have the same experience. The 58X feels bassier to me, at least a bit more extension. It also doesn’t sound the same through everything. Not as scalable as the 6XX, but still rather scalable. I prefer it out of the two and I tend to prefer darker headphones. Audeze mostly. Who knows.

Either way everyone agrees the 58X is a better option without a good amp.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I only had a week with each of them, so who knows I might be remembering them backwards. I only borrowed them to see if they were an upgrade from my ancient HD580s, and they weren't.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Stacked separates or all in one? What inputs do you need?
e: also, I'm assuming the amp is just for headphones?

Just entry to mid level stuff for headphones. It can be separate or all in one that will only stay at my desktop. Not sure if I’ll ever get into using balanced (do they have a huge difference?) so I just the regular ol 1/4 inch or 3.5 mM plugs.

Something like a Schiit Hela or a magni/modi stack but I haven’t been keeping up lately on to what’s the best.

Anything that can drive a $500 to $1200 planar headphone.

Basically looking for an upgrade to my old Fiio E9 and E7 desktop DAC which I really didn’t research on when I bought them.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Mang Tomas posted:

Running a JDS Atom/Modi 3 stack and very much diggin it :cheerdoge:

I was also considering the Topping D10, FYI that is back on Drop but it isn't shipping til June

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mang Tomas posted:

Just entry to mid level stuff for headphones. It can be separate or all in one that will only stay at my desktop. Not sure if I’ll ever get into using balanced (do they have a huge difference?) so I just the regular ol 1/4 inch or 3.5 mM plugs.

Something like a Schiit Hela or a magni/modi stack but I haven’t been keeping up lately on to what’s the best.

Anything that can drive a $500 to $1200 planar headphone.

Basically looking for an upgrade to my old Fiio E9 and E7 desktop DAC which I really didn’t research on when I bought them.
Unless there's a real problem with it, you could keep the E7, and just get a massdrop (or JDS Labs) o2 or JDS Labs Atom and be fine.
Or you could blow all $300 on a THX amp like the Drop THX 789 and be blown away, but still not need a new DAC.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

no idea if this is the right thread but thought I'd ask here - anyone know if there exists a sub-£100 headphone amp sized thing with speaker wire outputs on the back and a 1/4 inch jack on the front? there are a ton of products sort of like this on amazon but they all seem to have 3.5mm jacks and most of them are probably garbo since it's amazon.

i'm currently using this big old 80s kenwood thing that has audible hum/crackle; as long as it doesn't hum and takes up less space on my desk then i'm happy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
so... like a tiny headphone/speaker amp?

Like this? https://usa.denon.com/en-us/shop/amplifiers/pma60_d but not $600?
I really like my TEAC stack; UD-501 into the AX-501.

but that's definitely gonna set you back more than 100 quid for either of those.

Maybe you can find a used NAD 3020 and just use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter? https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3020-hybrid-digital-amplifier/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2020

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

no idea if this is the right thread but thought I'd ask here - anyone know if there exists a sub-£100 headphone amp sized thing with speaker wire outputs on the back and a 1/4 inch jack on the front? there are a ton of products sort of like this on amazon but they all seem to have 3.5mm jacks and most of them are probably garbo since it's amazon.

i'm currently using this big old 80s kenwood thing that has audible hum/crackle; as long as it doesn't hum and takes up less space on my desk then i'm happy.

Parts Direct has one from their house brand Dayton Audio (DTA120bt is the model). I think their stuff is generally considered pretty decent in the ultra budget range.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Mang Tomas posted:

Cheapest option is going to be a Khadas Tone Board + JDS Labs Atom. I'm going to sell my Khadas Tone Board and Atom here shortly on SA mart, so if you're interested, let me know.

Perfect timing too, my Audeze Deckard came in today, and this thing is a best, total steal. Love how much power this unit drives single ended compared to anything else. But wow as a true class-a amp this thing does run stupid warm.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 30, 2020

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I'm looking for some decent, cheap buds. I see the BLON BL03 and 05 Are recommended here? I would like Bluetooth though, and I gather that I need an adapter cable for this? Any recommendations?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FistLips posted:

I'm looking for some decent, cheap buds. I see the BLON BL03 and 05 Are recommended here? I would like Bluetooth though, and I gather that I need an adapter cable for this? Any recommendations?

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/tin-hifi/products/tinhifi-t3

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/blon-bl05

I would happily recommend these value offerings. Wait Bluetooth.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kz-aptx-hd?_pos=8&_sid=6c07b290d&_ss=r

Chi-fi best value fi. Choose your own supplier as you see fit.
(also make sure whatever you buy is 2 pin or MMCX and match appropriately, I wasn't bothering with these links)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 1, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FistLips posted:

05 is preorder and no one knows if it sucks or is good. Get the 03.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

DancingShade posted:

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/tin-hifi/products/tinhifi-t3

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/blon-bl05

I would happily recommend these value offerings. Wait Bluetooth.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kz-aptx-hd?_pos=8&_sid=6c07b290d&_ss=r

Chi-fi best value fi. Choose your own supplier as you see fit.
(also make sure whatever you buy is 2 pin or MMCX and match appropriately, I wasn't bothering with these links)

Thanks! I need shipping to Norway, but at least you've given me some terms to google!

redeyes posted:

05 is preorder and no one knows if it sucks or is good. Get the 03.

Yeah, I searched aliexpress and saw a bunch of them, but I guess they might be preorder as well. Or counterfeit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FistLips posted:

Thanks! I need shipping to Norway, but at least you've given me some terms to google!

Yeah, I searched aliexpress and saw a bunch of them, but I guess they might be preorder as well. Or counterfeit.

There are a few floating around which were pre-production for reviewers and didn't have finalized tuning.