Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Angela gets an ability quite late in the story which to be honest, is completely busted. After you defeat the Crimson dude you regenerate 10 mana every 5 seconds in combat. It's basically free mana forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you can choose to go to fire or ice land, ice actually comes first. I did fire first and the ice land enemies were lower level than the guys in the desert.

I'm lv 30ish and not sure where to put valkyrie Reisz' (or even Hawkeye's) points. I have the buffs and none of the other trees seem particular good. Just passives I probably wouldn't equip. This might be because I don't know what the base stats even do.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alright, finished up the post-game and unlocked NG+. Last fight gets a little rough, but as long as you're interrupting the big attacks it's fine. You get a partywide 300% XP chain ability from Faerie, three big stat bump abilities based on your party (50 luck from Hawkeye, 200 hp from Reisz, 50 magic defense from Carlie), and keep all of the chain abilities you unlocked from your prior team. You can pick a new squad at will, dunno what it does if you pick someone again.

I think there's some sort of unlock from refights on the post-game boss, but I haven't checked that out again to see what the deal is.

Zenithe posted:

Angela gets an ability quite late in the story which to be honest, is completely busted. After you defeat the Crimson dude you regenerate 10 mana every 5 seconds in combat. It's basically free mana forever.

You get a lesser version of that from Grand Croix after grabbing all three Class 4 items. 5 every 5 was enough to spam whatever I wanted straight through Anise's Stockade. Hawkeye's 1% MP on hit from his Class 4 bond also does a ton of work.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m on the Ghost Ship

This game is great so far, they certainly managed to recreate the frustration of fighting that stupid furnace and then Bil & Ben in the original. The furnace boss was a loving nightmare, actually. Pick up some Poto Oil at the night market specifically for that fight.

Edit: also the effect that happens when you read the Captain’s Dieary is loving hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After classing up the Benevodons are just melting, but I have DD Hawkeye and LL Angela hitting weaknesses so I'd be surprised if they didn't. LD Duran's just throwing out occasional heals and doing his tier 3 class skill when the boss is stunned.

T1 to T2: maybe 5 points in a skill, bit of a boost.
T2 to T3: have 25-30 points in everything just to start, you're gonna notice the change.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Genova battle theme (Obsession) remix is the best yet. But it's really quiet for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2WUXklD5o

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ultrachrist posted:

When you can choose to go to fire or ice land, ice actually comes first. I did fire first and the ice land enemies were lower level than the guys in the desert.

I'm lv 30ish and not sure where to put valkyrie Reisz' (or even Hawkeye's) points. I have the buffs and none of the other trees seem particular good. Just passives I probably wouldn't equip. This might be because I don't know what the base stats even do.

Riesz gets some surprisingly good skills in luck. If you have Hawkeye on the same team, giving him magic smash means he’s almost guaranteed to land the debuff quickly because of his high luck and multiple quick hits on the light, light strong combo, especially with pinpoint. I’m at level 23 or so with 9 spirit for spell access, 9 luck for magic smash and the rest in str(stamina would probably be better, since she’s controlled by the AI, but I want the attack up aura).

Hawkeye, light or dark, wants to go all in on luck and int right away (or maybe stop at 12, +5 int does nothing for light hawk that I can see), then, again, pick up cheap stat-ups in whatever you feel you need the most.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Good god Bil and Ben was a nightmare. Authentic to source material. :iia:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Kyrosiris posted:

Good god Bil and Ben was a nightmare. Authentic to source material. :iia:

I found them ok, if a bit grindy, even with a fragile team. Helps that you can actually avoid attacks!

Genova, on the other hand, was a mess (I didn't take the hint with the water saber items the first time lol) and the Machine Golems before Undine were very difficult (two of them got pushed close together and it seemed to break the AI a bit, they kept getting stuck between them. Second time went much better).

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
aight riesz i know you're excited to have a summon spell but please stop casting it when there's only one enemy left

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do the elemental saber spells give a damage boost along with the element, or are they solely for hitting weaknesses?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright haven't been able to advance much in the story cause I've been working and trying to balance my Animal Crossing/Trials of Mana time. I just got the Mini Mallet and my characters hit level 18. Can I change class yet? Also were the fast travel cannons in the original too or is that a remake addition?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 26, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lezard_valeth posted:

Alright having been able to advance much in the story cause I've been working and trying to balance my Animal Crossing/Trials of Mana time. I just got the Mini Mallet and my characters hit level 18. Can I change class yet? Also were the fast travel cannons in the original too or is that a remake addition?

The cannons originated in Secret of Mana and are a series staple. Almost everything is this game’s story was in the original.

You can class change at lv 18 but you have to get to a Mana Stone, which you will very soon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You'll be able to class change at the next Mana Stone you find. And the cannons are straight from the original.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ah ok, they seemed a bit out of place. I don't remember them in Legend of Mana, but I know Legend of Mana was kinda weird when compared to the rest.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also it might be a bit late to ask this but my party is Kevin (Attacker), Duran (Tank), Riesz (Support). I read some character pairings have different stories. Am I missing too much?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

lezard_valeth posted:

Also it might be a bit late to ask this but my party is Kevin (Attacker), Duran (Tank), Riesz (Support). I read some character pairings have different stories. Am I missing too much?

Characters who are associated with the same villains tend to have banter that might bounce off each other, like when Duran gets mad about Altena mages and Angela calling him out on it, and their story arcs will weave in together, assuming you make one of the pair your leader. Otherwise, there's 3 distinct stories depending on who your leader is, since there's three factions vying for control, with the main one being based off whoever you picked as your leader. The other two will get cut off eventually.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

lezard_valeth posted:

edit: beaten!

Duran/Angela, Kevin/Charlotte, and Hawkeye/Riesz each share stories and main villains, though you're only really playing through the story of your main character. If you're running with one of the pair as the main character and the other in your party, you'll get some extra dialogue and stuff, but it's no big deal, and the non-chosen characters show up for some story beats anyway (which you've probably already seen). Characters also have some extra dialogue if they're one of your party characters and you're doing stuff relevant to them (eg. Riesz when you're trying to take back Laurent).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Angela unfortunately gets shafted the most if you don't pick her, since I don't think she ever shows up again after Jadd. Everyone else pops up at key moments.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I always find it amusing that the queen's big airship is explicitly named during dialogue at the island but is otherwise of no consequence. Maybe they originally planned to involve more Altena in the story than we ended up with. They're also the kingdom that has the least impact on the overall story, and saving Valsena from them is laughably easy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Allarion posted:

Angela unfortunately gets shafted the most if you don't pick her, since I don't think she ever shows up again after Jadd. Everyone else pops up at key moments.

Well glad I am going with her as the MC first time around.

Also man the Crimson Wizard really likes showing off his power. He just consecutive 10 ft teleports instead of walking.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well glad I am going with her as the MC first time around.

Also man the Crimson Wizard really likes showing off his power. He just consecutive 10 ft teleports instead of walking.

It's funny that he still keeps walking really slowly in between teleports. Gotta max that distance covered during the cooldown, I guess.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

aight riesz i know you're excited to have a summon spell but please stop casting it when there's only one enemy left

Same except for Hawk dropping a combo on an almost dead rabite while shouting, "dodge this :smug:" at the air where the rabite used to be.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The cannons are actually one of the few things that are a graphical downgrade from the original (since in the original you could see them flying over a mode 7 world map like in Secret of Mana). I imagine it's because they would have to take time to load in the world map.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Item Getter posted:

The cannons are actually one of the few things that are a graphical downgrade from the original (since in the original you could see them flying over a mode 7 world map like in Secret of Mana). I imagine it's because they would have to take time to load in the world map.

I wouldn't complain if they loaded in a 16-bit version of the world map for the 3d models to cannonball over

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got to Mirage Palace, can't finish the game tonight but I sure as hell will let Ancient Dolphin loop for a while before bed.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Alxprit posted:

I got to Mirage Palace, can't finish the game tonight but I sure as hell will let Ancient Dolphin loop for a while before bed.

low-key one of the best tracks in a game with a really good soundtrack.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I got my first class change, switched Kevin to Brawler, Duran to Knight and Riesz to Rune Maiden. I have Lumina, Gnome and Sylph. When can I start learning magic? Or is magic restricted to only some characters and classes? (Knight info window said I could learn healing magic but I don't see it anywhere)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

lezard_valeth posted:

So I got my first class change, switched Kevin to Brawler, Duran to Knight and Riesz to Rune Maiden. I have Lumina, Gnome and Sylph. When can I start learning magic? Or is magic restricted to only some characters and classes? (Knight info window said I could learn healing magic but I don't see it anywhere)

Take a look at your training points. New breakpoints exist now that will supply you with magic. You'll need to build up to them, but you'll start getting points a little bit faster soon as well.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Take a look at your training points. New breakpoints exist now that will supply you with magic. You'll need to build up to them, but you'll start getting points a little bit faster soon as well.

Aaww pffff the spells are on the Spirit category, which I hadn't been leveling at all for Duran and Riesz. Welp, time to go back to that port city to respec

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

All second classes except Brawler learn magic. Knight only learns Healing Light, which should be trainable under the spirit line. Rune Maiden gets the stat down spells, which are unlocked by the classic elementals (earth, air, fire, water), so you should have access to two of them now. They removed DEX, though, so not sure if they replaced the skill that lowered that stat.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
A thing I really really liked in Legend of Mana is how you could craft instruments to use magic, and if you knew what you were doing you could craft stupid broken full screen nukes very early on

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what do you need to reset your class? I made Riesz a Vanadis because I had the item on hand and figured I could reset later when I got the item for Starlancer, but now I have one and it's still telling me I don't have the correct item. Is it something you get later on?

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

So what do you need to reset your class? I made Riesz a Vanadis because I had the item on hand and figured I could reset later when I got the item for Starlancer, but now I have one and it's still telling me I don't have the correct item. Is it something you get later on?

Unfortunately yes, much later, for me Goddess Scales start popping up in Anise's Stockade. The post storyline chapter/dungeon after class 4

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
These seeds absolutely will not give me either class 3 or 4 weapons for Kevin. Flower pot maxed out, everyone is level 80+ with every other piece if top level gear and RNG just keeps missing it. Gonna just give up and fight this witch with the fists from Pedan.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

I had Duran Tech 3 on a single enemy. The enemy was petrified. Thanks for securing the "kill" buddy

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

XP boost in NG+ is no joke. I've just got Jinn, and I'm already in the 30s.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man you just curb stomp the hidden bosses in class 4. like they don't even stand a chance.

class 4 dark duran just shits out so much goddamn damage with rage 1+2 and wrath 1+2. every heavy attack combo enders were doing 1500+ damage.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

YggiDee posted:

Do the elemental saber spells give a damage boost along with the element, or are they solely for hitting weaknesses?

Solely for hitting weaknesses (and HP/MP absorption for Moon/Leaf Saber), but there's an ability (don't know if it's locked or equipable ability) that makes you deal more damage if a saber is active. Don't know who gets it though.

Inflammatory posted:

This along with being more... closer-ranged AoE than I want them to be, and frankly a bit disappointing damage output compared to their base power, is why I'm a bit miffed about the summons this time around. Might want to go into Int solely because of the abilities, and not for the summon itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What happened with Riesz's +/- DEX spells? Were they removed or retooled?