Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

CommieGIR posted:

OSHA Historical: Anniversary of reactor 4 at Chernobyl exploding is tonight at 1:23AM

1:23 AM Moscow time was +4 GMT in 1986, so the anniversary time was 9 hours ago
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What the hell is he even doing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

What the hell is he even doing?
Prob breaking stuff that failed QC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evil_bunnY posted:

Prob breaking stuff that failed QC.

Unless those are the LG panels we were shipped, which were fragile as gently caress. Our SOP on evaluating monitors now includes a "can I break it with one hand" test.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

GotLag posted:

What's this based on? I haven't watched any of his vids in a while but certainly nothing made me think "this guy is homophobic"

Every reference he makes that could be interpreted as sexual is instantly followed by something that amounts to "or the homosexual version of that - not judging / whatever floats your boat / to each their own"...

As was pointed out earlier: he doesn't advocate burning bundles of sticks - he seems a bit insecure and afraid to catch the gay.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
...have you considered the possibility that he might just mean what he says?

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

GotLag posted:

...have you considered the possibility that he might just mean what he says?

Yes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Based on this parlour diagnosis that he's "afraid to catch the gay" because he uses clumsily inclusive language, you flatly assert that he is a homophobe without any qualification, intentionally putting him in the same category as those who refuse service to gay customers or protest against gay marriage.

Woke people are cool.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Oh, good to know and thanks for the recs. I like AvE but he started painting his schtick on really heavy and I just couldn’t deal with another “red headed oval office hair”-based measurement anymore (I’m just a computer toucher, so the closest I get to real osha is breathing fumes from the construction in the building next door)

Back when AvE was just a dude prospecting for gold he used to put out videos saying poo poo like "we have to get rid of the "jargon" industries use to obfuscate technical terms. Jargon is a bad thing, it causes a barrier to entry." Then he realized making up his own jargon and it would make him a shitload of money on youtube! You literally need a AvE to english dictionary to understand what he's talking about now. That's the antithesis of what he wanted his channel to be.

Then....it turns out... he makes more money from his youtube channel than his actual job.

His new thesaurus of words just to tell what the gently caress he's talking about is super popular. He LITERALLY became the thing he set out to eliminate. He deleted all of those old videos because he'd rather make patreon money! He was making $110,000 US dollars a year when patreon let him stop show how much he was making a month. At the time he was bitching he wasn't making enough money while he was tearing down $5,000 tools, while making $9000 a month. He's since made his income private and has purchased a new shop and continued to complaining he's not making enough money. Dude is pulling down $150k+ US off his patreon, in canada, while still working an oil industry job. He could quit his daily job and the patreon would still provide more than his previous salary. He's not hurting.

Long story short: if you're the sort of person that's upset that he's leaned waaaaaaaaaaaay into the sort of guy that releases a ruler with "a red oval office hair" or "a blonde oval office hair" you're not alone/ He's doing fine. He's going to keep doing fine even if you think what he's doing is inappropriate.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

haveblue posted:

Some French hate loanwords and will make up a clumsy French phrase for a concept rather than use one.

That poo poo never fails to amaze me, considering how many French loan words we've merged into American English. I know it's not super common, but so, so, so, so, so may of the places near me are French or the French names for the Native American places I grew up near.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've known a number of folks who work in BC in oil or as tradesmen - AvE is nicer than most. I don't like alll his off-colour jokes, but I don't expect much better coming from his background.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've known a number of folks who work in BC in oil or as tradesmen - AvE is nicer than most. I don't like alll his off-colour jokes, but I don't expect much better coming from his background.

It's not his off color jokes that bother me, it's the holier-than-thou-art bullshit.
He literally used to pretend like he cared about the newbie that didn't know all the stupid technical euphemisms. All the "gotchas" every industry has to berate new folks. Those things you don't know until you're already in the industry.

Then. He invented his own. You literally can't watch one of his videos, excuse me Vijayoes, if you don't already know how to translate them into english. Every single video is jammed packed with a bunch of bullshit word-replacement that you literally need an AvE-to-English translator for. It's quite literally the exact thing he used to rant against.

I could give you a list of a dozen machinists, actual machinists, on youtube that don't need to make up their own language

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

GotLag posted:

Based on this parlour diagnosis that he's "afraid to catch the gay" because he uses clumsily inclusive language, you flatly assert that he is a homophobe without any qualification, intentionally putting him in the same category as those who refuse service to gay customers or protest against gay marriage.

Woke people are cool.

I wrote he was a homophobe because he adds a *not gay* marker to every single comment he makes that could be interpreted as having something do do with sexuality.
No more no less.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

That poo poo never fails to amaze me, considering how many French loan words we've merged into American English. I know it's not super common, but so, so, so, so, so may of the places near me are French or the French names for the Native American places I grew up near.

Username and post checks out.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Aramoro posted:

Uhhh, if AvE is is a homophobe that's a whole different conversation than I've been a part of. I was talking about his earlier stuff.
Please don't drag me in to that. I have my own problems with his modern videos.

OR: I'm possibly missing your point completely, again. Post/Username.

I grew up in an area of poorly translated French words for Native American names.

I'm from a place called La Qui Parle. We undoubtedly pronounce it wrong, in French. We have our own pronunciation in English. It's the Lutefisk Captial of the World. In the French translation of the native name it means something like "lake that speaks" which I guess means we kill a lot of geese there every year. No seriously, "Lake That Speaks" means we have a lot of geese on the lake and we want to make those loving speaking geese shut the hell up with our shotguns because gently caress GEESE."

Seriously. Goose killing is a serious business here. You literally rent land for decades in prime goose killing land if you can, and buy specialized goose killing guns, and pay extra for the permit to kill geese there, and set out goose decoys so you can kill goose easier. It's like the goon-ideal. We would do everything in our power to legally kill as many geese as legal. (never enough)

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 26, 2020

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Oh, good to know and thanks for the recs. I like AvE but he started painting his schtick on really heavy and I just couldn’t deal with another “red headed oval office hair”-based measurement anymore (I’m just a computer toucher, so the closest I get to real osha is breathing fumes from the construction in the building next door)

Same thing that made me dial back listening to him on a regular basis.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Aramoro posted:

But seriously, Aramoro, tell us how many towns you pronounced before the reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaWCLBtWjk

The mishmash of French and Indian names make things difficult.

They ate foods from the area. It went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ZDHOwmLfs

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Verdugo posted:

Same thing that made me dial back listening to him on a regular basis.

Ditto, he used to talk like... a person? He didn't used to talk that way. You can still see it when he talks to his wife and kid, sometimes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

But seriously, Aramoro, tell us how many towns you pronounced before the reveal.

The mishmash of French and Indian names make things difficult.

They ate foods from the area. It went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ZDHOwmLfs

Oh no how will I ever know how to pronounce such mysteries as Prague? Not that Prague is French mind you. Neither is Aitkin, which is a really common surname in Scotland.

But seriously you seem to be confused as to why there are so many French place names there. Are you joking? It's hard to tell.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

MisterOblivious posted:

Back when AvE was just a dude prospecting for gold he used to put out videos saying poo poo like "we have to get rid of the "jargon" industries use to obfuscate technical terms. Jargon is a bad thing, it causes a barrier to entry." Then he realized making up his own jargon and it would make him a shitload of money on youtube! You literally need a AvE to english dictionary to understand what he's talking about now. That's the antithesis of what he wanted his channel to be.

Then....it turns out... he makes more money from his youtube channel than his actual job.

His new thesaurus of words just to tell what the gently caress he's talking about is super popular. He LITERALLY became the thing he set out to eliminate. He deleted all of those old videos because he'd rather make patreon money! He was making $110,000 US dollars a year when patreon let him stop show how much he was making a month. At the time he was bitching he wasn't making enough money while he was tearing down $5,000 tools, while making $9000 a month. He's since made his income private and has purchased a new shop and continued to complaining he's not making enough money. Dude is pulling down $150k+ US off his patreon, in canada, while still working an oil industry job. He could quit his daily job and the patreon would still provide more than his previous salary. He's not hurting.

Long story short: if you're the sort of person that's upset that he's leaned waaaaaaaaaaaay into the sort of guy that releases a ruler with "a red oval office hair" or "a blonde oval office hair" you're not alone/ He's doing fine. He's going to keep doing fine even if you think what he's doing is inappropriate.

You are mad about nothing

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

gently caress GEESE."

Seriously. Goose killing is a serious business here. You literally rent land for decades in prime goose killing land if you can, and buy specialized goose killing guns, and pay extra for the permit to kill geese there, and set out goose decoys so you can kill goose easier. It's like the goon-ideal. We would do everything in our power to legally kill as many geese as legal. (never enough)

Seriously, gently caress geese they suck.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Killing is my business... and business is goose!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Lou Takki posted:

Seriously, gently caress geese they suck.

From a week+ ago, but when you see this in context it's quite beautiful...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Aramoro posted:

Oh no how will I ever know how to pronounce such mysteries as Prague? Not that Prague is French mind you. Neither is Aitkin, which is a really common surname in Scotland.

But seriously you seem to be confused as to why there are so many French place names there. Are you joking? It's hard to tell.

LoL I guarenfuckingtee you that you didn't know how New Prauge was pronounced if you don't live here. It's pretty telling you'd pick that out of of all of them. You're either from the area or you pronounced it wrong. Nobody else pronounces it wrong, correctly. You may as well exclude yourself if you're from the region, rear end in a top hat, because you'll already know how things are pronounced locally.

I know you got like 10% of those towns in the video. Max.

Piss Meridian posted:

You are mad about nothing

sure, probably. Still think that dude above me is way, way more mad about poo poo he doesn't understand.

He's trying to pretend like he can pronounce our local areas properly, but he's wrong.

Prauge and New Prauge are confusingly similar. They look very, very alike and sound so very, very dissimilar We pronounce Prauge wrong, Prag, and it easy to identify outsiders.

OP mentioned Aitkin. That's a lot, lot harder to pronounce if you're not from around here apparently.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Therapy, mr obv

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Another example is Miami, TX. If you say it anything like Miami, FL, people know you’re not from around there.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Same here in Illinois with Cairo and El Dorado.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

What the hell is with all these Spanish names in California?? This is AMERICA you dumbass towns!! Get your poo poo together, I don't have time to figure out how to like "Santa Cruz" and "Los Angeles" and "Weed" what the fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Same here in Illinois with Cairo and El Dorado.

There's a Cairo in Southern Georgia pronounced kay-row. (Miami, TX is my-amma)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Me, being a Dutch person, once had my brain broken by somebody mentioning Schuylkill River.

Then again, these kind of videos might not be a proper resource!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 26, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What the hell does any of this poo poo have to do with osha

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

He's trying to pretend like he can pronounce our local areas properly, but he's wrong.

Prauge and New Prauge are confusingly similar. They look very, very alike and sound so very, very dissimilar We pronounce Prauge wrong, Prag, and it easy to identify outsiders.

OP mentioned Aitkin. That's a lot, lot harder to pronounce if you're not from around here apparently.

Lol you pronounce Prague the same way as everyone else buddy. You pronounce New the French way for 'mysterious reasons' presumably lost to the sands of time.

As Aitkin is literally my name pretty sure I nailed that one as well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
People from northeast Ohio pronounce Medina as "Meh-die-nuh" and it totally makes me look stupid when I do it wrong for everywhere else in the world.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
You guys are loving morons shut up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nocheez posted:

People from northeast Ohio pronounce Medina as "Meh-die-nuh" and it totally makes me look stupid when I do it wrong for everywhere else in the world.

Come to beautiful Milan (mile-in), Ohio, birthplace of Thomas Edison

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mierenneuker posted:

Me, being a Dutch person, once had my brain broken by somebody mentioning Schuylkill River.

Then again, these kind of videos might not be a proper resource!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIO3jo_wf4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a Cairo in Southern Georgia pronounced kay-row. (Miami, TX is my-amma)

Memphis, Tennessee is named for an Egyptian city of the same name.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Second 11:

Second 12:

Second 13:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Versailles, CT.

Pronounced ver-sail-s. Rebel flags and lifted mud trucks, it's a weird place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nocheez posted:

What about Milan, OH, pronounced My-Lan?

The US has proud traditions of loving up names and not bothering to correct people for it. My third-generation italian immigrant family stopped pronouncing their family name correctly in the 1960s.