Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

gandlethorpe posted:

What happened with Riesz's +/- DEX spells? Were they removed or retooled?

Removed, since Hit/Evade aren't stats anymore.

As a side effect of that, they retooled Hawkeye's Earth Diversion to be his most powerful elemental jutsu for neutral (Ninja Master Hawkeye in particular will get excellent use of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I know they weren't going to change the plot much, but I was really hoping they'd do something with the stuff from the prequels. It would have been nice for someone to tell Hawkeye the girl he's crushing on is his aunt

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I do like that they seem to have added a few lines to explain some vague plot points. Like why the statue disappeared in Gusthall.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
wait, so are shields still useless then?

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

unknown butthole posted:

They add about the same amount of def/mdef as a trinket. Oath shield if also still in and works so it's a nice status immunity item.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

(Brutal/Hurt Me Faerie) Difficulty or PC modding wishlist:
  • Turn all Gold Statues into normal ones/remove the healing.
  • Give enemies (bosses especially) at least 3x more HP. Bosses die before getting their entire moveset out. The Benevodons are a joke once you hit the Class 3 power spike. I don't want to reduce player damage output because big numbers are fun.
  • Make red/iframeable attacks come out quicker and make them inflict more status ailments like Silence.
  • Readjust the equipment distribution once the twin cat merchants come into play. There was always a cheaper/weaker weapon available when their shop list refreshed for some reason, but why would anyone ever go for that one when the stronger one is only a bit more gold. Space out the availability of upgrades. Make equipment sell back for less to force more of a gold commitment.
  • Swap the 2x and 3x EXP bonuses from Lil Cactus for something else. Reduce/halve boss clear EXP. The chain ability you get for completing the entire board is OP along with most of the character story completion ones.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 26, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Angela with Duran and Riesz, what makes sense for the class changes? I was thinking Duran as a lord, Riesz as a fenrir knight (I can't actually decide if I want that or starlancer :ohdear:) and archmage for Angela, but I have never played the original game so I don't know if I'm shooting myself in the foot here.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Defiance Industries posted:

I know they weren't going to change the plot much, but I was really hoping they'd do something with the stuff from the prequels. It would have been nice for someone to tell Hawkeye the girl he's crushing on is his aunt

I think you’re confusing this game with Game of Thrones

unknown butthole posted:

Nah they are good. Extra defense boosts means Light class Duran takes very little damage.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

orcane posted:

I'm playing Angela with Duran and Riesz, what makes sense for the class changes? I was thinking Duran as a lord, Riesz as a fenrir knight (I can't actually decide if I want that or starlancer :ohdear:) and archmage for Angela, but I have never played the original game so I don't know if I'm shooting myself in the foot here.

Angela - I don't have enough experience with Angela in the remake, but she should be fine in any path.
Duran - LL/Paladin - Light Duran's level 2 and level 3 class strikes are underwhelming due to being single target except for Paladin's CS3, which hits a big area. Light Class 4's CS4 is single target though.
Riesz - LD/Starlancer - Perma buffs are too good and better than perma debuffs via Fenrir Knight. Summons are underwhelming (too little damage for the cast time/MP cost). Riesz's CS1 is the best in the game because the vacuum effect interrupts enemy skill/spell channeling. Light Class 4's CS4 is a massive aoe.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Huh, seems the level balance is "you get to level 40+ before ever having a chance to see a Seed ???".

Also I am sure I am missing so much lil' cactus and that makes me sad.

What's this with twin merchant cat? I am post sanctuary of mana but haven't seen them.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Moreso than Elmer Fudd, Charlotte is giving me major Molly from Sailor Moon vibes.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Arkeus posted:

Huh, seems the level balance is "you get to level 40+ before ever having a chance to see a Seed ???".

Also I am sure I am missing so much lil' cactus and that makes me sad.

What's this with twin merchant cat? I am post sanctuary of mana but haven't seen them.

After you beat at least 1 Benevodon, 2 not-Niccolo merchants show up right outside each Benevodon dungeon. They sell the equipment leading into the endgame.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there side quests in this game, or am I free to basically bee line from dungeon to dungeon?

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

fadam posted:

Are there side quests in this game, or am I free to basically bee line from dungeon to dungeon?

No sidequests at all, unless you consider finding optional chain abilities or cactus a "side quest"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The explanation for a bunch of shops starting to sell two kinds of weapons is that weapons become different whether you're in dark or light classes. So the shops sell the dark or light weapon, along with a neutral weapon that you could theoretically use even if you haven't changed class yet - which is a crazy thing I'm sure some people playing this game will do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Getting the no damage taken XP boost on Bil and Ben 2 was such a good feeling, holy poo poo. :iia:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How mad should I be for not getting the skill from Watts? I didn't have 5k :negative:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think you’re meant to get that on NG+

Was I able to smash those rock walls before I got the Nitromyte? I just assumed you needed it for that so I ignored those walls. It would be weird if you could since you couldn’t break the one in the Dwarf Village until someone blew it up for you.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

unknown butthole posted:

The elemental effects actually work as intended this time around, so no.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think you’re meant to get that on NG+

Was I able to smash those rock walls before I got the Nitromyte? I just assumed you needed it for that so I ignored those walls. It would be weird if you could since you couldn’t break the one in the Dwarf Village until someone blew it up for you.

you can break them before you get it. yeah, it's a little goofy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone asked a while back what the new night market items from the cactus bonus were, don't know if it got answered. You get access to level 2 and level 3 damage spell items, as well as items for casting light, dark, moon, and wood sabres. Extremely useful.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Got to the credits. Angela absolutely destroyed the last boss, holy poo poo. He absolutely melted to Ancient Curse w debuff from necromancer.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I have a friend who is also playing this and he is minorly annoyed by the fact that the god beasts are now "Benevodons"; he jokes that they should be called malevodons or something instead which would kind of make more sense I guess. Anyway I assume we're just missing some kind of context for it so if anyone has a good idea or knows why they would call them that please let me know because it's been in the back of my mind for a while now!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The same creatures appear in two other Mana games where they're benevolent forces for good. However they're fused in pairs and each of those paired monsters are called Malevodons and they're like super evil. So basically they're called Benevodons because the games were translated out of order.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lol I thought I was the only one that played Children of Mana. I don't remember a lick of anything about it except for that because I was so hype for things from then-SD3 to be referenced at all

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Am I missing something obvious with the Wind Benevodon? I'm basically unable to really fight against him and he just slowly grinds me to death. I don't have anyone in 3rd class yet though (second benevodon).

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

YggiDee posted:

The same creatures appear in two other Mana games where they're benevolent forces for good. However they're fused in pairs and each of those paired monsters are called Malevodons and they're like super evil. So basically they're called Benevodons because the games were translated out of order.

Thank you so much! Good stuff.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So they were supposed to be called Malevodons then.
You'd think they would've fixed that here but then you look at some of the lack of voice direction some characters got...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That would just get you the opposite problem in Children of Mana though, why are these friendly spirits called Malevodons???

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just looked up a video of what the Benevodons look like in Heroes of Mana. Dolan has pants. Not sure how I feel about that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is it just me or was Lugar way too easy. He seemed to repeatedly target the player character with Suzaku Sky Dance and it's trivially easy to avoid (unlike the original where everyone just eats poo poo repeatedly to the point where the Low HP sound becomes an integral part of the boss music). I mean I guess you do have to actually hit Dodge when it drops instead of merely running around but it's nothing that somebody who has played any ARPG before couldn't handle.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

Is it just me or was Lugar way too easy. He seemed to repeatedly target the player character with Suzaku Sky Dance and it's trivially easy to avoid (unlike the original where everyone just eats poo poo repeatedly to the point where the Low HP sound becomes an integral part of the boss music). I mean I guess you do have to actually hit Dodge when it drops instead of merely running around but it's nothing that somebody who has played any ARPG before couldn't handle.

this was one of the fights that was pretty brutal in the original that i found really easy. i think the bosses doing full screen counterattacks that couldnt be blocked in the og version made alot of fights way tougher.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does this version of the game let you play with the 3rd classes for longer than the last 15% of the game?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shoenin posted:

So they were supposed to be called Malevodons then.
You'd think they would've fixed that here but then you look at some of the lack of voice direction some characters got...

No they are supposed to be Benevodon. The Malevodons are evil fused versions of them, and after the Malevodons were defeated, the Benevodon's appeared to have become good in the rest of the games.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just found out the spirit battles in Smash feature yellow Kirbies wearing rabbit ears :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Does this version of the game let you play with the 3rd classes for longer than the last 15% of the game?

Yeah, you level up a lot faster so you're 38 roughly by the time you reach the Mana Holy Land. You still need to get the items for the 3rd tier classes, but those are a lot more common too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

Maybe a little bit? Getting seeds before the fourth Benevodon can be hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arkeus posted:

Am I missing something obvious with the Wind Benevodon? I'm basically unable to really fight against him and he just slowly grinds me to death. I don't have anyone in 3rd class yet though (second benevodon).

Get Molebear Claws and Drake Scales onto everyone and pummel him to death. He was actually the easiest of the Benevodons for me, since there's no movement and no super damaging telegraphs to try and dodge around during the main phase.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Just hit level 30 on my alt game using the other 3 (Hawkeye/Duran/Charlotte) and it's been really good. My only real beef right now is for some reason Hawkeye's hit-hit-hit-boom combo hitbox is tiny so I find myself lunging through enemies and not hitting them pretty often. It's really annoying on bosses like Ben and Bil 2, because I could end up on the other side of them without hitting them, allowing them to continue their move and placing me in exactly the wrong spot, but between Duran and Charlotte heals I rarely find myself using the cups anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Am I missing something about the 4th classes? I thought they combined the 2 previous ones, but Duran's Light version of 4th still single targets healing light and gets no tinkle rain. Do I need to reset once to also grab the other path?