Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
drat this was a brilliant ro.8, all matches were 3-2 and the games were really good. Glad for two zergs in the semis, but Flash is Flash and Light looks like he is in great form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gmaz posted:

drat this was a brilliant ro.8, all matches were 3-2 and the games were really good. Glad for two zergs in the semis, but Flash is Flash and Light looks like he is in great form.

if soma can get over his nerves, he can absolutely beat light

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'd kinda like to see a normal game on Hitchhiker, but it looks like none of the players want to play one.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
That entire round of 8 was amazing. I agree with Tasteless, that's got to be one of the best.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if soma can get over his nerves, he can absolutely beat light

I think light is definitely the favorite, but chosim has a shot

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HOLY gently caress QUEEN

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
WoWie!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

I'm enjoying this trend of counter counter mindgaming and builds that are intended to counter each other being stacked like three deep.

This series plus that dope cheese in GSL, it's been a good couple weeks for StarCraft.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

gat drat that was a series for the history books

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Flash looking shakier than usual in that series. Valkyrie mismicro being the most obvious example. But I get why and he didn't look bad.

This ASL has been loving fantastic in general.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

glad light won, did not want zvz finals. soma vs. flash should also be pretty fun.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Light is in really good form I think he takes the tournament. Loved somas hydra strategy, don' think I ever saw it in TvZ (I didn't follow the game before remastered era). Bring on some more TvZs YES

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
RIP soma, but that ensnare + ultra encirclement on neo sylphid was loving awesome tho

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
is this the best Asl so far?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
We'll see how the finals go but these last couple of rounds have certainly been high quality.

I really look forward to seeing more people use queens and valks. Those gooed up rines getting pinned down in ensnare was fun to watch.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skasion posted:

RIP soma, but that ensnare + ultra encirclement on neo sylphid was loving awesome tho

i think soma is the player currently with the most potential for future greatness and i hope he lives up to that potential

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Following GSL and ASL and the Tastosis cast between the two are night and day. There's so much less random chatter about WWE and bubulas when they cast brood war. Artosis is still playing the game and you can tell because he's current with all the builds and gets really excited to explain all the timings. I feel like their SC2 commentary has gotten stale and is mostly filler at this point so this has been really refreshing to listen to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just don't think they were ever huge into sc2, which i can't really blame them. brood war imo is just a much funner game to watch professionally and has a lot more options and variety.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

I also think it benefits the quality that while Tasteless doesn't play as much as Artosis, he still actually has a solid base of knowledge about BW. You can see Artosis actually asking his opinions and feedback when one of the players is protoss. In SC2, while he obviously knows way more than I do, it never seemed like he cared to dive too deep into meta knowledge. I can't blame him either, casting SC2 was always more job than passion for him, I suspect. With VW, I don't know exactly how passionate he still is, but at one point the game was basically his life.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Finally caught up on all the games. What a season. :aaa:

So glad the final won't be a mirror matchup.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Ugh 3rd place games where somewhathe of a let down after how ridiculously amazing this asl was so far. It is surprising, really expecting more of the same awesomenes.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

anchorpunch posted:

Ugh 3rd place games where somewhathe of a let down after how ridiculously amazing this asl was so far. It is surprising, really expecting more of the same awesomenes.

Yeah they were pretty lacklustre.

Also Flash announced he will be playing Random now which should be interesting.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am pretty sure he just means on his streams. last i knew, random was banned for tournament play.

unless he means he will pick a random race for that given tournament, which would be fun. tasteless mentioned how flash's protoss was almost as good as his terran, but personally i'd love to see how flash played zerg.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am pretty sure he just means on his streams. last i knew, random was banned for tournament play.

unless he means he will pick a random race for that given tournament, which would be fun. tasteless mentioned how flash's protoss was almost as good as his terran, but personally i'd love to see how flash played zerg.

Sounds like it's for tournaments to combat organisers rigging map pools against him.

I was watching Artosis' stream and he said Random has never been banned and the only race that has been banned in the past was the Zerg + Zerg combination in 2v2 tournaments.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I'd love to see him really play zerg too.

Flash Zerg would be insane because he knows when he can get away with more drones and when he can't, and he is one of the best in the world when it comes to managing multiple fronts while still macroing. Which could be huge with zerg.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I would honestly just love to see another person be successful as random.

Literally 20 years after the previous one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Flash's protoss is quite literally one of the best in the world. Like top 3-5 protoss

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fanatic posted:

Sounds like it's for tournaments to combat organisers rigging map pools against him.

I was watching Artosis' stream and he said Random has never been banned and the only race that has been banned in the past was the Zerg + Zerg combination in 2v2 tournaments.

huh, i swore i remembered random being banned at some point but searching for it i can't find anything :shrug:

well in that case, fuckin rad. hopefully flash actually does this, then.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think that would be cool to see in a tournament, shakes things up for both him and the opponents

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Any scenario where Flash doesn't retire is fine with me. Never did see a random pro player, seems awesome for some next level mind games.

Here's a documentary about the early days of brood war and growth of the scene in South Korea, there are english subtitles available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAd1_YfiVL8

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 23, 2020

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Finals are live! Game one just happened Close by air spawns on Horizon and it went how you expect

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

light was just totally outclassed. not a huge surprise after queen knocked out flash but still a disappointing end to an otherwise phenomenal season.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Well, looks like the tradition of bad ASL finals continues.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
After all the insanely good games we've had recently between SC2 and BW, I'm not even disappointed to see a final that is just one person plain outplaying another. some 7 game barn burner would've been cool, but idk I'm not disappointed. This season of ASL totally delivered.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

That was some good last three weekends of ASL, anything from the early tournament I missed I should watch?

I already know I need to go back to light/stork to see carriers

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

alright that finals was kind of a stomp but I am ok with that because in the interview when Light was talking smack I was just thinking "bitch please, Queen just beat Flash"

also I'm a bug man so I like it when the swarm prevails :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah that was the one thing that made me happy. i know shittalk is expected and even encouraged by the interviewers and also that it's pretty tongue-in-cheek since most players are good friends, but it was still like, dude he fuckin beat the best player the game has ever seen to get in the finals how on earth can you be this confident

the games also left me a bit disappointed in light as a player because he just did the most basic terran builds on maps that you really can't do that on, which made him seem like an extremely limited and unimaginative player. still better than leta, i suppose.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The finals weren't bad. The game on the 2p map was interesting to me.

They weren't insane best finals ever or anything, but it was a solid end to a tournament with a ridiculous number of amazing games.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, this isn't about "professional" Brood War, but hell with it, there's no other really good Brood War topics to say this in.

I wish Power Overwhelming still let AIs damage each other, instead of just blanketly reducing all damage dealt by AI units to 0, including to each other.

I'm screwing around with mods and campaign edits, and there's lots of AI-against-AI action in these that I'd like to watch even after the campaign gets hard to the point where I can't survive, much less progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I agree with the spirit of your grief but there's nothing funnier than the ending of the Aldaris mission in BW when Kerrigan comes in with 4 lurkers and cuts Aldaris off to kill him immediately only for the lurker spines to just do no damage and everyone just standing around thinking "you, uh, you were gonna say something Aldaris?"

Moments like that were some of my fondest Starcraft memories from when I was a kid :allears: