Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know, I'm all for them trying different things for the next games and all, but if I start hearing about Genesis or the DEEPGROUND I'm going to start getting a little worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

20+ years before in-game present day tbf

meanwhile vinnie was in stasis or some poo poo so he's the same emo looking pretty boy he was back then

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Let's just check in on what Will It Breed looked like during his salad years

....aye

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

....aye

"Aye Vincent, I'm gonna gently caress your girlfriend!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

20+ years before in-game present day tbf

meanwhile vinnie was in stasis or some poo poo so he's the same emo looking pretty boy he was back then

He's also got a cape now.

I'm tellin' ya, the 90s are making a comeback. Everybody is gonna love Vincent, except, ironically, this forum which will lost everything else about FFVIIR-2 except him.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No need to kinkshame Lucrecia.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I refuse to picture a young, sexy Hojo. You can't make me do it. He emerged exactly the same as the greasy frog man we see here. Too many men from this game turned me gay without me even playing the drat thing when it came out. I don't need to add the horrible science man. :colbert:

DeathChicken posted:

....aye

See? Not even Square Enix would go that far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vincent will be great if they really lean into how over-the-top goth he is. Celebrate Vincent's weird, depressed vampire bullshit and mine some comedy out of it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I refuse to picture a young, sexy Hojo. You can't make me do it. He emerged exactly the same as the greasy frog man we see here. Too many men from this game turned me gay without me even playing the drat thing when it came out. I don't need to add the horrible science man. :colbert:

See? Not even Square Enix would go that far.

His weird rear end mouth has been consistent across the entire series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cant wait for the sequel when Hojo is chilling on the beach with his floozies.

Also totally forgot Lucrecia just dies in the street at the train station, really weird in hindsight.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

al-azad posted:

Cant wait for the sequel when Hojo is chilling on the beach with his floozies.

Also totally forgot Lucrecia just dies in the street at the train station, really weird in hindsight.

That's Sephiroth's mom who goes to hang out in a cave, Ifalna is Aerith's mom.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Ifalna's the one who just dies at the train station. Lucrecia's in a crystal in a cave somewhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Vincent will be great if they really lean into how over-the-top goth he is. Celebrate Vincent's weird, depressed vampire bullshit and mine some comedy out of it.

Just recycle Cloud’s dialog from Kingdom Hearts. Insert a joke where Vincent is like “I see myself in you, Cloud” and Cloud’s like “a tattered cape and clawed gauntlets, I think not.”

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm tellin' ya, the 90s are making a comeback. Everybody is gonna love Vincent, except, ironically, this forum which will lost everything else about FFVIIR-2 except him.

Vincent owns

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mulva posted:

That's Sephiroth's mom who goes to hang out in a cave, Ifalna is Aerith's mom.

So much I’ve forgotten in 20 years, so many one off moments the game front loads.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

His weird rear end mouth has been consistent across the entire series.

Thanking Christ that Sephiroth didn't get the weird rear end mouth.

I do kinda like the running joke that Hojo still has an inexplicable sex appeal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1254444034279510016

You love to see. Embrace it all!

Gumption and sincerity go a long way.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Thanking Christ that Sephiroth didn't get the weird rear end mouth.

I do kinda like the running joke that Hojo still has an inexplicable sex appeal.

I'd like to know what the gently caress is wrong with women in the FF7 world that they see what amounts to Dr. Mengele sans the hygiene and charm and think to themselves "Ah, yes that's a desirable mate right there." "The way he mutters to himself and stares unblinkingly off into the distance before giggling about the possibilities and breeding subjects. Hawt as fuuuuck."

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I'd like to know what the gently caress is wrong with women in the FF7 world that they see what amounts to Dr. Mengele sans the hygiene and charm and think to themselves "Ah, yes that's a desirable mate right there." "The way he mutters to himself and stares unblinkingly off into the distance before giggling about the possibilities and breeding subjects. Hawt as fuuuuck."

it's the lab coat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow, I suddenly remembered that internet story from 10 years ago about the FF7 house with the woman who wore a labcoat and started calling herself Hojo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

it's the lab coat

does not work in real life

or maybe I'm just really bad at rocking a lab coat

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The sheen around Hojo is his body giving off powerful gently caress pheromones.

By which I mean both that the pheromones themselves are powerful, and also that pheromones indicate he is a powerful gently caress.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, I suddenly remembered that internet story from 10 years ago about the FF7 house with the woman who wore a labcoat and started calling herself Hojo.

What kills me about that story is that she wasn't even the worse of the two. :stare:

Flopsy posted:

Mulva posted:

The sheen around Hojo is his body giving off powerful gently caress pheromones.

By which I mean both that the pheromones themselves are powerful, and also that pheromones indicate he is a powerful gently caress.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The real life version of Hell house. But seriously that was an actual case of a mini cult and it's a horrifying journey into the psyche of someone who had become resigned to their abuse.

BaDandy posted:

What kills me about that story is that she wasn't even the worse of the two. :stare:

The other called herself Jenova. They both also refused to bathe and encouraged orgies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the things I was looking forward to getting retranslated was the distinction between SOLDIER and Sephiroth clones and President Shinra's taunt and the Drum really just confused it further. I guess there's still room to clarify it all but with the Drum and its analogs to the Nibelheim reactor therapy pods it really seems like Hojo has spent the entire time Jenova has been in Shinra possession injecting anything he can get his hands on with its cells where my original reading is that Sephiroth and Jenova cell injection was an attempt to improve outlook on Mako therapy. Like hey look, Jenova cells helped this baby survive Mako therapy and then some, lets try it out on everything.

Reunion gets a little bit weirder if it applies to all SOLDIERs but we only see Cloud and Sephiroth clones affected. But I guess there's still room for them to be separate and related pheneoma.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

exquisite tea posted:

The Heeeeeeell Hooooooouse!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Flopsy posted:

Wonder if one way we're going to differentiate ourselves from the old timeline is Tifa finally working up the nerve to go "Okay what the ever loving gently caress Cloud?"

given that Cloud's character arc can be summarized as:

1. I'm Cloud, SOLDIER first class
2. Wait, who am I?
3. Oh, I'm Cloud

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to fit in some of step 2 earlier in the remake than in the original. Especially because otherwise part 2 might be completely static on Cloud's character from beginning to end otherwise, depending where the end is.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

The other called herself Jenova. They both also refused to bathe and encouraged orgies.

And it still felt like "Hojo" also got roped into "Jenova"'s nonsense, just way earlier than the others so it was too late for her. :(

God I just remembered someone else involved was trying to start a Suikoden cult.

Anyway, back to FF7R.

https://twitter.com/EENlX/status/1254449350014496773

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Where should I go to grind materia and exp after finishing the game?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

given that Cloud's character arc can be summarized as:

1. I'm Cloud, SOLDIER first class
2. Wait, who am I?
3. Oh, I'm Cloud

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to fit in some of step 2 earlier in the remake than in the original. Especially because otherwise part 2 might be completely static on Cloud's character from beginning to end otherwise, depending where the end is.

Most likely. I just feel like the longer this goes on especially if and when we revisit Nibelheim Tifa's going to have to have a moment where she wants some poo poo clarified. Otherwise...it's going to be long weird scene of Cloud reminiscing while Tifa gets increasingly WTF and grapples with her sense of reality.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think there's an opportunity to more clearly show just how much Tifa wants to avoid thinking about that traumatic event, too, like maybe if they do have Cloud telling the group the story like the Kalm flashback, she goes from looking sort of confused to just completely checking out and not even listening, maybe even making an excuse to leave the room. She'd definitely know that Cloud's version of the story is false, but is she willing to confront her own memories of it for long enough to confront Cloud about it?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RC Cola posted:

Where should I go to grind materia and exp after finishing the game?

Spamming the first encounter of ch16 is good for exp and ap.

If you just want AP, do the two people vs high flyers vr mission(chapter select to ch17). Kill nearly everything using the first hit of triple slash then quit out / restart. Try moving slightly to the left before firing off triple slash so you don't kill everything at once. If you do accidentally kill everything, it's not a big deal it just means you have to sit through 5 seconds of loading then quit out at the start of the second fight.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The Kalm scene should be Tifa telling her Sepheroth story and Cloud being silent about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Spamming the first encounter of ch16 is good for exp and ap.

If you just want AP, do the two people vs high flyers vr mission(chapter select to ch17). Kill nearly everything using the first hit of triple slash then quit out / restart. Try moving slightly to the left before firing off triple slash so you don't kill everything at once. If you do accidentally kill everything, it's not a big deal it just means you have to sit through 5 seconds of loading then quit out at the start of the second fight.

Big "rubber band the controller in the river section of FF6" energy here, I dig it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can also just plow through all of that mission (barring the final encounter with the drake) with First Strike/Magnify/Firaga on Cloud for more cheap AP

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Here's what I want to happen in the next part. At the very beginning of the game, you go to Kalm, and Cloud starts his Sephiroth story, and you play through the expanded flashback, all that jazz. Story ends, everybody's silent, taking it in, and then Tifa says "Cloud that's bullshit. You weren't there and that's also really weird, because your memory of the event is startlingly accurate outside of that." And Cloud's mind just snaps instantly because he can't reconcile it. Yes, I want the Cloud mindbreak to happen at basically the start of the next game. If you're going to make a statement about how you're not going to follow the plot of the original game, by golly, you need to go all in. I don't know what would happen after that, I imagine Tifa or Aeris would take over as leader while they either drag Cloud's comatose body around or leave him in Kalm, and somewhere, maybe Junon, Zack enters the picture somehow, I dunno. It's too early to tell what hte next game is going to do, but man, I want it to be wild.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
cloud spends all of part 2 in his wheelchair

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

SOLDIERs were more generic in the original but the Turks were always a weird CIA-esque side group to the rest of Shinra's combat hierarchy

I love how Shinra gives them a department name that's corporate-speak: General Affairs: Auditing.

on an unrelated note, really looking forward to playing cid in this combat system

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 27, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

cloud spends all of part 2 in his wheelchair

He'll come to during a climatic battle and he fights in a wheelchair like BJ Blazkowicz in Wolfenstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dreylad posted:

on an unrelated note, really looking forward to playing cid in this combat system

Me when I do my first jump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YYzAH83M4g&t=134s