Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yep, right on the sternum. No third arm, it's just directly attached to their chest.

Oh hey, 1994. The year of Doom II and Heretic and other stuff.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep, right on the sternum. No third arm, it's just directly attached to their chest.

Oh hey, 1994. The year of Doom II and Heretic and other stuff.

That's what I though but looks like it has fingers and a thumb from the side though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay so they have a hand bolted onto their breast bone, and the hand holds the pistol. But the idea that a whole arm is coming out of his chest is patently stupid and I refuse to entertain it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay so they have a hand bolted onto their breast bone, and the hand holds the pistol. But the idea that a whole arm is coming out of his chest is patently stupid and I refuse to entertain it.
This does appear to be the case, looking at the actual sprites:

That's clearly just a hand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Would there be any interest in organized play on my servers at all (beyond the game nights I'm already scheduling)? I'm thinking it might be fun to run a QuakeWorld 2v2 league or a UT2k4 3v3 Bombing Run league, but I'd need a pretty decent number of people and I wouldn't really know where else to advertise such a thing.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

This does appear to be the case, looking at the actual sprites:

That's clearly just a hand.

Anatomy with BJ "Does a hand and a bit of forearm count as an arm?"

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1254322029630599169

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/RottKing/status/1252709957276798976

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is that right at the start of the game?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

Is that right at the start of the game?

Nah, Alpha Labs 3, shortly after the barrel crane collection. The weird part is the secret it's in I've always known about, but somehow never spotted the plasma rifle on the adjacent pipes. (Maybe my 4K monitor helped make it visible now.)
Mars City Underground does have plasma ammo you can collect early, though, there's a locked room past a tightrope walk you can unlock once you get back to the security office.
Mars City itself also has a plasma rifle but it's initially inaccessible, behind a locked passcode door that actually has no correct combination (we checked the scripts) until you return later, but by then it's gone.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 26, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Doom Wiki knew about the plasma rifle in 2007.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just found out that the four Doom novels from the 90s are available on Amazon in ebook format, kinda tempted to maybe buy them when I next get paid

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They're terrible. The plot is basically that Doomguy converts to Mormonism and thereby vanquishes Xenu.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m really tempted to buy the Doom 3 switch port. Is it good?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Cat Mattress posted:

They're terrible. The plot is basically that Doomguy converts to Mormonism and thereby vanquishes Xenu.

Oh oh and that part where it all ends with what feels like an editing fuckup.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

Just found out that the four Doom novels from the 90s are available on Amazon in ebook format, kinda tempted to maybe buy them when I next get paid

But Repercussions of Evil is free :confused:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

meteor9 posted:

Oh oh and that part where it all ends with what feels like an editing fuckup.

Ooooh I haven’t read them since I was a kid. How do they end?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ooooh I haven’t read them since I was a kid. How do they end?

Well! So, after the demons turn out to be aliens who turn out to be fighting other aliens who are heading to earth, and after the two marines escape from a VR simulation of Doom 1, they finally arrive on earth after the final enemy aliens...uh...evolve away. Hundreds of years have passed during their trip, and they finally are about to find out what's happened to earth and what happened to their friends and then-

'It was Arlene who found the door.' Immediately and jarringly and confusingly back in the VR thing for some reason, and they go "hey i think the aliens are gone, we can live forever in a virtual world for some reason now!" Not even a "oh we never left the VR" setup either, they just drop what the real life people are doing mid-reveal of something and then the next chapter is just the weirdo VR ending.

I only remember the first line of the chapter so well because I had to reread it like five times to figure out what the gently caress happened.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm fairly sure part 1 of this was posted in here at some point, but here's part 2 of a video series by a demoscene guy trying to make an actually good Doom clone for Amiga 500: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRxpxVRdEg

Interesting look at the process of mapping for Doom, as well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you like Doom 3 to begin with, it's an excellent port.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If the question is "is Doom 3 good" in general, then yea, Doom 3 is awesome. It's not a fast hectic game like the rest of the series, but if you know that going in, I quite enjoy it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

meteor9 posted:

Well! So, after the demons turn out to be aliens who turn out to be fighting other aliens who are heading to earth, and after the two marines escape from a VR simulation of Doom 1, they finally arrive on earth after the final enemy aliens...uh...evolve away. Hundreds of years have passed during their trip, and they finally are about to find out what's happened to earth and what happened to their friends and then-

'It was Arlene who found the door.' Immediately and jarringly and confusingly back in the VR thing for some reason, and they go "hey i think the aliens are gone, we can live forever in a virtual world for some reason now!" Not even a "oh we never left the VR" setup either, they just drop what the real life people are doing mid-reveal of something and then the next chapter is just the weirdo VR ending.

I only remember the first line of the chapter so well because I had to reread it like five times to figure out what the gently caress happened.

Hah, that's pretty ridiculous then. One of my most distinct memories of the books is the introduction of a friendly two-headed alien (that I think bore a resemblance to Magilla the Gorilla?) they nicknamed "Sears & Roebuck" and aliens called Freddies or Frankies or something.

On an unrelated note, I'm re-streaming Civvie episodes in the background while I wrap up Doom 64, and it always amused me how the introductory video to Duke 3D's 4th episode starts with a military general briefing Duke on the new alien threat; he says something along the lines of "this footage was obtained by an undercover operative" and goes on to show a gaggle of alien Drones gathered around a captive human giving birth. How was this operative undercover? Were they dressed like an alien drone? It's not like they could grow a beard and learn another language and blend in with the locals.

Once again, my immersion is spoiled.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It's basically Doom 3 BFG Edition but without the first two games included, as ported by the wizards at Panic Button (the studio who did the Switch ports of Doom 2016, Rocket League, Warframe and eventually Doom Eternal. This was probably an easier gig than those...) So it's pretty high quality, but I can't remember if it has gyro aiming.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How was this operative undercover? Were they dressed like an alien drone? It's not like they could grow a beard and learn another language and blend in with the locals.

Once again, my immersion is spoiled.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, last night I played a good 4 hours of Zero Tolerance coop on the Sega Genesis with a system link cable. For an fps released to run on a 68k cpu it does a lot of cool poo poo. Keep in mind this was 1994.

It has a full map, a small radar, an inventory system, crouching, jumping, strafing, multiple characters, numerous enemies and weapons, death animations, splattering blood that drips down walls! You can even punch AND kick. Badass.

I am just constantly impressed with this game. Even the elevator music between levels is perfect.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've done that too. Fun fact: the link cable works between a PAL and NTSC console. Figured there might be sync issues but apparently not.

I think I prefer Bloodshot a bit more, even if it has a tendency to crash. The bigger render window and split screen multiplayer (both co-op and deathmatch!) make it the most technically impressive Genesis FPS imo. It achieved this by cleverly rendering the top half of the scene then flipping it vertically and changing the palette for the bottom half, then rendering the sprites.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 27, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yo I didn't even mean for that post to be on page 1994. Nice!

I've never heard of Bloodshot, probably because it only came out on the sega channel service in America. Will have to check it out.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 27, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
1994 was a great year. Still remember seeing the maximum size Doom II poster in the window of GAME and getting super hyped, also Mortal Kombat II on the big screen inside looking amazing.

:corsair:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
will this thread die immediately on page 2007/2008

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ETPC posted:

It will respawn as a new thread. The opening post will just be a single picture.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Bad posts will fade away if you minimize the browser for a few moments

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Bad posts will fade away if you minimize the browser for a few moments

Our posts will outlive us

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ETPC posted:

No it'll just be slower and more brown

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Uh I think you mean more realistic and strategic

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

it will become gradually obscured by a "bloody screen" effect until you stop reading it for 30 seconds

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Limit two posts per page and when you make a new post you have to decide which of the current two you should replace with it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The next 5 pages will be sold ina bundle for 15 dollars.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Pomp posted:

Uh I think you mean more realistic and strategic

Convex posted:

it will become gradually obscured by a "bloody screen" effect until you stop reading it for 30 seconds

Mak0rz posted:

Limit two posts per page and when you make a new post you have to decide which of the current two you should replace with it.

:kingsley:

Fire!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You will have to read the thread in between taking cover every 3 seconds and blindly posting(firing) over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
You can only read the thread while walking slowly down a long hallway.