Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A random recommendation for pretty much anyone who needs to shape wood freehand (:wink:). This thing:

is easily worth many times its asking price, and you might even be able to find it for less elsewhere. Easy to use, removes material very quickly, and lets you do some interesting (if not super-tight) curves. Just an excellent tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Agreed. When I figured out the part under the blade could be used to scrape drywall edges my mind was blown, chews right through it for those tight fit cuts. I have had it for something like 10y, says patent pending on it.

Yup yup.

These are one of the simplest and best tools out there.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I like the ones with the snap off blades. They seem to do as advertised and be sharp when you snap a segment off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've had issues of the blades snapping or the backs coming off etc. For small work sure but for drywall scoring or scraping a bit of wood or something nothing beats the full blades.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tres Burritos posted:

I like the ones with the snap off blades. They seem to do as advertised and be sharp when you snap a segment off.

I run the original Olfa that's like this. Bought it because it's what my dad used/uses for decades. I'm no power user but it works well enough and I like being able to change the blade depth. And plus points for nostalgia.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have one of the snap off utility knives entirely for cutting cosplay foam, and like 6 or 7 of those husky folding ones lost away in different boxes and corners and cars and probably a few bars, they’re great

I also got a teeny tiny gerber one like a year ago, thing is like the size of a small money clip, it was real cute and nice and fun, and then it just kind of exploded one day and I lost a pretty critical screw and now it’s sitting on a shelf taunting me

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got an olfa as well, came with my art supplies when I started design school. I love that thing. Fresh blades on a snap and it feels like night and day compared to cheap plastic ones. I have to keep multiple knives around because I've got several work areas and just use whatever is nearby. Carrying knives tends to destroy my pants and I generally hate having things in my pockets.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Sockser posted:

I also got a teeny tiny gerber one like a year ago, thing is like the size of a small money clip, it was real cute and nice and fun, and then it just kind of exploded one day and I lost a pretty critical screw and now it’s sitting on a shelf taunting me
Was it a Gerber EAB? I got one of those years ago with G10 scales and basically stopped using real pocket knives. If the screw that's missing is the one holding the blade in place (because there aren't any other serviceable screws) it looks like 3mm x .5, 3mm thread length, 4.5mm head diameter. The top side is only 5.6mm wide so a bigger head wouldn't work, but if you want a 100 pack for $22 McMaster has it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trip Report: I got this belt 2 days ago and it owns. It feels good, it fits great, it holds all of my poo poo, and it doesn’t slide off my waist easily even with a ton of weight added to it and no suspenders.

I did order some suspenders for extra security, though. And the place I ordered them from just called and told me they’re on backorder. :argh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Trip Report: I got this belt 2 days ago and it owns. It feels good, it fits great, it holds all of my poo poo, and it doesn’t slide off my waist easily even with a ton of weight added to it and no suspenders.

I did order some suspenders for extra security, though. And the place I ordered them from just called and told me they’re on backorder. :argh:

Is this a :dadjoke:?

also, cutter post. It's seen some things.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I. M. Gei posted:

It gets to be a little pricey, but I pretty much just got 6 of these around my belt

https://www.occidentaltoolpouch.com/Occidental-Leather-5037-High-Mount-Tape-Holder-5037.htm

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You carry 6 tape measures around?

Is this a meta-joke about IM's obsession with measuring?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

You carry 6 tape measures around?

Is this a meta-joke about IM's obsession with measuring?

Measure 6, cut never. That is the only way you will never screw up a piece.

But seriously, I.M. we love you. And I predict you'll be an awesome woodworker one of these days......*Pink Floyd riffs segue into the distance*

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Measure 6, cut never. That is the only way you will never screw up a piece.

But seriously, I.M. we love you. And I predict you'll be an awesome woodworker one of these days......*Pink Floyd riffs segue into the distance*
Just wanted to second this. IM has gotten a lot of poo poo, but he's taken it gracefully.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
We jest but in fine woodworking 1/64th tolerances are not unheard of.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

We jest but in fine woodworking 1/64th tolerances are not unheard of.

Such tolerances are not typically achieved by careful measuring though. You creep up on the correct length by cutting, testing the fit, then cutting again. If the piece needs to match another piece, you use that other piece as a guide, and your finger is sensitive enough to tell if the pieces match to good tolerance.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If the piece needs to match another piece, you use that other piece as a guide, and your finger is sensitive enough to tell if the pieces match to good tolerance.

Absolutely this. Watching some YouTube machining channels has made me realize that you can easily detect thousands of an inch with your finger. Having a master part that you can line up with subsequent parts and feel the difference between is very useful.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

However you arrive at it, a 64th matters in the fitting of a drawer or a door to a case or getting one part flush to the other. It doesn’t really matter for a 20’ long trellis for plants, but if it makes someone happy to have a trellis that is accurate to the 64th, I’m all for it.

That being said, our fingers are pretty incredible difference detectors. In woodworking, the concern isn’t usually with having parts be exactly X.0000Y, but rather to have all the parts be the same, whatever that is. Machining is usually trying to make the part exactly X.0000Y and that’s very important if you want interchangeable parts, but not really important for most non-production woodworking. It’s precision vs. accuracy but I can’t remember which is which :derp:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

heffray posted:

Was it a Gerber EAB? I got one of those years ago with G10 scales and basically stopped using real pocket knives. If the screw that's missing is the one holding the blade in place (because there aren't any other serviceable screws) it looks like 3mm x .5, 3mm thread length, 4.5mm head diameter. The top side is only 5.6mm wide so a bigger head wouldn't work, but if you want a 100 pack for $22 McMaster has it.

That's the guy-- and I appreciate the screw advice

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I want to get an air-powered 18ga brad nailer and probably a 23ga pin nailer as well. Is there such a thing as "good brands" for these? I have a brad nailer/stapler from Harbor Freight that I only use for invisible stuff because it leaves a staple-shaped indent, and like 20% of nails go in bent. Weirdly, the nailer/stapler is like $20, but a dedicated HF brad nailer is like $60. Any recommendations for these?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

It's kinda $$$ but I've had zero problems with this pin nailer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-23-Gauge-2-in-Pin-Nailer-DWFP2350K/305708793.

Also people seem to like the senco brand?
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/senco-8f0001n

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 23, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

more falafel please posted:

I want to get an air-powered 18ga brad nailer and probably a 23ga pin nailer as well. Is there such a thing as "good brands" for these? I have a brad nailer/stapler from Harbor Freight that I only use for invisible stuff because it leaves a staple-shaped indent, and like 20% of nails go in bent. Weirdly, the nailer/stapler is like $20, but a dedicated HF brad nailer is like $60. Any recommendations for these?

You have your air set to high if its leaving dimples, probably why they are bending nails too. I have been using the same rusty HF nailer for something like 12y...this was back when they were made out of more metal than plastic though :shrug:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Senco stuff is generally bombproof. I've got a stapler and a brad nailer that I've never had issue with even though I got them used and cheap.

I've also got a porter cable nailer that is pretty good, but its height adjustment/safety is lovely plastic and causes issues sometimes.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Senco and Hitachi are the typical go to’s for bulletproof nailers. The secondhand market is pretty good for Hitachi, not as much for Senco.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I bought fairly cheap 16/18G NuMax nailers and while I've not used them in anger, they seem pretty dece.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Falco posted:

Senco and Hitachi are the typical go to’s for bulletproof nailers. The secondhand market is pretty good for Hitachi, not as much for Senco.

Seconding Senco and I have also had no problems with my dewalt or Ridgid nailers. I have Hitachi framing and pin nailers that are fine, but the brad nailer is no good. The magazine is plastic and it keeps cracking. I had it repaired under warranty twice and it keeps having the same issue, so I got an oil-less dewalt one instead and it's been great so far.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

I want to get an air-powered 18ga brad nailer

I have found that the Bostich Smart Point was worth every penny and then some if you are doing a lot of trim/painted work. I recently redid the shoe moulding in my whole house and probably shaved a couple hours off the process because fill and paint took about half the time it normally does. Easy to put the brad right where you want it, easy to clear a jam on the rare occasion that happens.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

senco, spotnailers, duofast, bostitch, paslode who duofast branched off from iirc- they were all around when these things started taking off 50 years ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I need some a couple screws and a couple nuts.

Normally I'd go to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware etc and look through the bins for what I need. But they're all doing curbside pickup only, and trying to find that poo poo on their websites is frustrating as gently caress, maybe even impossible because I don't see anything listed that doesn't come in a box of less than 25.
If I went to Fastenal, or Brafasco, or some other industrial supplier, they'd probably want me to buy a box of 50 of each.

I need two of each. Is there a decent online place that doesn't have a minimum order? I don't want to pay 20 bucks for two screws and two nuts, but they're tiny as gently caress. At a big box store they'd probably be less than 2 dollars for all four pieces. I don't mind paying a dollar, or even two dollars each, but I don't want to pay like 5 bucks each or something crazy for them.

I need two #3 screws about 9/16" or 5/8" long (I forget which) and two nuts of corresponding size and thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

wesleywillis posted:

I need some a couple screws and a couple nuts.

Normally I'd go to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware etc and look through the bins for what I need. But they're all doing curbside pickup only, and trying to find that poo poo on their websites is frustrating as gently caress, maybe even impossible because I don't see anything listed that doesn't come in a box of less than 25.
If I went to Fastenal, or Brafasco, or some other industrial supplier, they'd probably want me to buy a box of 50 of each.

I need two of each. Is there a decent online place that doesn't have a minimum order? I don't want to pay 20 bucks for two screws and two nuts, but they're tiny as gently caress. At a big box store they'd probably be less than 2 dollars for all four pieces. I don't mind paying a dollar, or even two dollars each, but I don't want to pay like 5 bucks each or something crazy for them.

I need two #3 screws about 9/16" or 5/8" long (I forget which) and two nuts of corresponding size and thread.

Maybe call them? Probably not so much Home Depot, but it's my understanding that Canadian Tire is sort of similar to, say, an Ace or Tractor Supply Co here in the states? So odds are someone on their staff is an old, retired carpenter/handyman who will know what you mean when you say you want a #3 machine screw 5/8" long with corresponding nuts and washer and should be able to pick out a couple of them from the bulk bins himself.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe call them? Probably not so much Home Depot, but it's my understanding that Canadian Tire is sort of similar to, say, an Ace or Tractor Supply Co here in the states? So odds are someone on their staff is an old, retired carpenter/handyman who will know what you mean when you say you want a #3 machine screw 5/8" long with corresponding nuts and washer and should be able to pick out a couple of them from the bulk bins himself.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that goons will not use the phone to talk to another human.

More helpfully, my local screw/threaded fastener supply place (imaginatively named 'Threaded Fastener, Inc') has always been happy to sell me 6 #4x5/8" slotted brass screws or whatever other odd poo poo I have needed. Sometimes they don't even bother to charge me :confused: because I guess it is too much trouble to write up an invoice and make change for $.64 of screws. I call them and they have it ready at will call or the cash sales desk or w/e. I'm sure they are even better set up for/used to odd small orders in these strange times.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Trabant posted:

A random recommendation for pretty much anyone who needs to shape wood freehand (:wink:). This thing:

is easily worth many times its asking price, and you might even be able to find it for less elsewhere. Easy to use, removes material very quickly, and lets you do some interesting (if not super-tight) curves. Just an excellent tool.

Thanks, had my eye on it for a while. Have a 4 in hand right now and it's almost unusable.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think most of the retired tradespeople go to legit plumbing/electrical/building centre type places around here. Occasionally you'll find them at Home Depot or Lowes, but they're typically few and far between.
I've found that aside from the auto parts people, most of the people at Canadian Tire don't seem to know a lot about *most* of the stuff they sell. They can help you find something but I get the feeling of I were to call and ask for some "number three machine screws" it would be "sure thing sir, you'd like three screws, for what machine, and what size would you like"?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that goons will not use the phone to talk to another human.

More helpfully, my local screw/threaded fastener supply place (imaginatively named 'Threaded Fastener, Inc') has always been happy to sell me 6 #4x5/8" slotted brass screws or whatever other odd poo poo I have needed. Sometimes they don't even bother to charge me :confused: because I guess it is too much trouble to write up an invoice and make change for $.64 of screws. I call them and they have it ready at will call or the cash sales desk or w/e. I'm sure they are even better set up for/used to odd small orders in these strange times.

^^^ Also true, I will, but don't really like talking to people on the phone that I don't know. I'm just a fuckin weirdo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Unless you need them right now just eBay a pack of 10 of whatever size? Do any of your neighbors look the sort to have a garage full of jars of screws?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Unless you need them right now just eBay a pack of 10 of whatever size? Do any of your neighbors look the sort to have a garage full of jars of screws?

If anyone, my dad is the one who's got the garage full of random poo poo that might fit. But the plague means I haven't been down to visit him for a while. Its not a huge rush, its for a sling swivel mount that goes around the bottom barrel of a shotgun. I ain't going hunting anytime soon so I don't need it now, but I'd like to get it out of the way..

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

If anyone, my dad is the one who's got the garage full of random poo poo that might fit. But the plague means I haven't been down to visit him for a while. Its not a huge rush, its for a sling swivel mount that goes around the bottom barrel of a shotgun. I ain't going hunting anytime soon so I don't need it now, but I'd like to get it out of the way..

Boltdepot.com might be worth checking out. Probably more cost effective to make it part of an order from them, but they’d do it I think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

nitsuga posted:

Boltdepot.com might be worth checking out. Probably more cost effective to make it part of an order from them, but they’d do it I think.

Almost ordered from there yesterday but they don't ship to Canuckistania.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Almost ordered from there yesterday but they don't ship to Canuckistania.

Public health insurance, but no Bolt Depot? :canada:

I'd ship 'em to you FWIW.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bob Mundon posted:

Thanks, had my eye on it for a while. Have a 4 in hand right now and it's almost unusable.

That was exactly my situation and the reason I gave the Shinto a try.

I think you'll love it, but do post back what your experience is like. I got a couple of neat curvy pieces done with it (first, second) and I've been telling anyone who'd listen how useful it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Bob Mundon posted:

I went googling and learned a new phrase! I’d never heard of a four in hand rasp, but it turns out I already own one - I only knew four in hand for coaches and hoped you had a thread about restoring or building one. I’d confirm that those Shinto rasps are absolutely smashing. Also, if you work in the cross-legged on the ground afghan style you can hold the rasp between abdomen and foot and it works great for shaping small wood parts that would be hard to clamp. One caveat is that really small things can stick in the gaps and you’ll find out that they did an amazing job sharpening the teeth.

Does anyone have a recommendation for heat and water proof gloves? I need to do some freehand polypropylene rod bending and I think my best bet is boiling water, ideally without removing all of my skin.