Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

:swoon:

Those paws! She’s gonna be a big girl :3:

We are guessing between 50 and 60lbs. She’s a mix of bulldog, pitbull, husky, Great Pyrenees, and amstaff. Who KNOWS how that’s going to end up?? She was 19lbs at 10 weeks, and 28lbs at 15 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Bananana posted:

Trying to teach her stuff everyday.

Today, a milestone: she went to the door, and started whining to be let out, so she could poop.

I was..

Overjoyed.

Awesome! Those little puppy moments where things finally click are so satisfying

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Puppy stuff:

She's only eating about half the recommended amount, and sparingly throughout the day. I've starting measuring out daily portions to track this better. The vet and breeder said not to be concerned for a few days.

She pants alot, but we've also had record high temperatures.

After the first two days of being timid and docile she's not very much interested in playing with me or any one toy much. She is interested on chewing on everything. A bully stick if available, for a while, then the carpet, mats, pads, my metal chair, the tile floor, the wall. Also the leash immediately any time it's attached.

I've been trying to train some basics, but she's not very interested in any treats or food I've tried so far.

She does sleep through the night without accidents, and as long as I take her outside hourly seems to know that's where to go potty.

I've gotten a puppy cam to see if she's sleeping in her crate during the day when I have to work.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

our puppy we rescued right before coronavirus hit the news <3

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

cailleask posted:

I think one difference is that she’s sleeping on her bed next to me - sometimes she gets up and pokes around the office, or chews a toy. If she’s getting too wound up I can tell right away and just take her out to play regardless of where she is on the schedule. A hard 5 minutes running after a ball of playing tug after a potty usually burns out off enough until we get to a more ‘active’ time.

I actually have a question too: despite all the toys and chewer things I’ve bought, her strong preference is for sticks. The vet shrugged about it - is there something less, uh, wood that I can get her? That will leave fewer wood shards all over my house? Like what about those lamb horns they have at our local pet store, or some of the other ‘harder’ chews? Nylabone was a strong miss.

I like pressed rawhide. Rawhide is ok as long as they aren't trying to swallow big pieces of it (I had a dog previously that literally started choking himself on them so they got taken away real quick) the pressed rawhide is nice because it's a little harder and lasts a while without being so hard they could break teeth. That's the only concern with doing antlers or bones. Some dogs never have problems but some will get slab fractures with harder chews.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man Musk posted:

our puppy we rescued right before coronavirus hit the news <3

I love this hairy void demon.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dixville posted:

I like pressed rawhide. Rawhide is ok as long as they aren't trying to swallow big pieces of it (I had a dog previously that literally started choking himself on them so they got taken away real quick) the pressed rawhide is nice because it's a little harder and lasts a while without being so hard they could break teeth. That's the only concern with doing antlers or bones. Some dogs never have problems but some will get slab fractures with harder chews.

And right on cue she’s started shedding out her puppy teeth! Bottom two front teeth are missing. Maybe there’s no such thing as too hard a chew when your teeth are falling out? I guess?

Man she’s gonna chew everything in sight.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Two out of three of my dogs got baths today. The other one just doesn't seem to get dirty or smell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sigh.

3-4 weeks ago I found a lump on my newly rescued dog's belly right near one of her nipples.

Had it removed 10 days ago, waiting for the lab to determine if it's cancer or benign.

Yesterday I noticed the dog's stitches came out. Called an emergency vet, as my usual is closed on Sundays, and they said it could wait until today. It doesn't look pretty at all, but it's not actively bleeding so :shrug:

I called / emailed photos to my regular vet this morning and they said to take her to the emergency clinic since they're too busy to see the pooch today, but she definitely needs to be taken care of

So.. $1100 for the biopsy, $110 just to see the emergency clinic today + whatever it's going to cost to actually help her. Plus whatever it might cost depending on the results of the biopsy.

Fortunately work just announced they're removing the 15% pay cuts that went into effect at the start of all this Covid-19 craziness, so I'm feeling more confident in the stability of my job, but ugh gently caress me I don't want to be spending thousands on a dog I just got only a few months ago right now.

If I had her longer or this quarantine wasn't going on I wouldn't even think twice about vet bills, but goddamn my dudes.

Apparently being spayed after a dog has been through heat 2 or more times radically increases the chance they'll develop mamory cancer. I had no idea. Based on that alone I don't think I'll ever rescue a female dog again unless I know she was spayed at a young age.

All cuddled up with my other rescue the other day :sigh:

Edit: :toot: "Only" $160 for today. They said it's not worth the added trauma to restitch her, just sending me home with antibiotics as the site doesn't look very healthy. Already have a followed-up scheduled with my regular vet later this week from the surgery 2 weeks ago, so that's convenient timing for it all.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2020

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

MF_James posted:

It sounds like she needs more activity if she's still extremely active, I would honestly give her more activity time and see what that does, rather than continuing to do something that doesn't seem to be working.

So it follow up on this previous chat about whether the puppy was over or under stimulated, yesterday we had just one of the worst days for the pup in awhile and we're very much thinking its from overstimulation and lack of sleep and not needing more activity.

Yesterday we made a concerted effort to play with her more and just in general have her get more stuff to do, so when she got up again after her morning nap around 10am I took her outside and we must have played and hung out there for hours, then lunch, more play inside and a chew stick, then back into her crate for afternoon nap.

Unfortunately, she just would not settle at all. She would maybe nap for an hour, than just start whining and even barking, even after we made sure she got water and pee outside. Thought again maybe she was undertimulated, so took her out for some play but she just got worse and worse in terms of behaviour, so we decided again to put her back to bed in the crate. This just went on and off till about 8pm till finally she settled down and fell asleep. Whenever she was out her heart was just pounding and she would just be doing zoomies everywhere and biting us non stop.

Just really hard to diagnose this because we're constantly seeing conflicting info on "what's working" when we get some wildly conflicting days here so its hard to get cause/effect.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Oysters Autobio posted:

So it follow up on this previous chat about whether the puppy was over or under stimulated, yesterday we had just one of the worst days for the pup in awhile and we're very much thinking its from overstimulation and lack of sleep and not needing more activity.

Yesterday we made a concerted effort to play with her more and just in general have her get more stuff to do, so when she got up again after her morning nap around 10am I took her outside and we must have played and hung out there for hours, then lunch, more play inside and a chew stick, then back into her crate for afternoon nap.

Unfortunately, she just would not settle at all. She would maybe nap for an hour, than just start whining and even barking, even after we made sure she got water and pee outside. Thought again maybe she was undertimulated, so took her out for some play but she just got worse and worse in terms of behaviour, so we decided again to put her back to bed in the crate. This just went on and off till about 8pm till finally she settled down and fell asleep. Whenever she was out her heart was just pounding and she would just be doing zoomies everywhere and biting us non stop.

Just really hard to diagnose this because we're constantly seeing conflicting info on "what's working" when we get some wildly conflicting days here so its hard to get cause/effect.

What have you been doing about the biting?

Also, what you have there is a Shepard puppy. They’re nippy hyperactive assholes. This is coming from me whose first puppy as an adult was also an absolute monster to raise, I feel your pain and want you to know it does get better. The little jerk who shredded my arms and took almost a year to stop pissing in the house is now my 80lb best friend.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've always wanted a German Shepherd but it took years of asking myself "am I really able to do this?" before I pulled the trigger. She's a couple years old and a rescue, but boy howdy she doesn't let me lay down for a minute without expressing her disappointment we aren't playing or walking. I stopped setting my alarm because I now have a furry alarm clock with 5 snooze settings

- Sit silently by the bed.
- Whine quietly
- Angry barking commences
- Paws on bed slapping me.
- The most evil trick, getting pull toy.

They definitely aren't lap dogs that sit around all day. :D

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What have you been doing about the biting?

Also, what you have there is a Shepard puppy. They’re nippy hyperactive assholes. This is coming from me whose first puppy as an adult was also an absolute monster to raise, I feel your pain and want you to know it does get better. The little jerk who shredded my arms and took almost a year to stop pissing in the house is now my 80lb best friend.

For biting, we've been intermittently using a bitter cherry spray for our wrists, ankles and backs of our hands (which only really sometimes works), but more importantly we've been rewarding her with treat and click when she chews on her toys or listens to our command of "leave it". If "leave it" doesn't work we try to redirect with some trick commands, which do work in conjunction with treats but (1) she'll usually then immediately go back to biting afterwards or (2) she's so wound up that she can't focus and won't listen to any commands. If (2) happens or she bites too hard, we turn around and leave the living room (closing the babygate for the kitchen behind us) and stand facing away from her. We've also found letting her chew on icecubes has been helping since its both something to chew on but also the cold probably feels good on her gums for teething.

Despite this new version of her crazy hyperactive biting (which does concern me a bit. If she gets too hyper and bitey, she will snarl, snap and bite pretty hard especially if she jumps on the couch for some reason) overall we have actually seen a slight improvement. Whereas before, her absolute first go-to would be to bite your ankles, shoes or laces, now that only happens less than half the time. I remember before that it would be instantaneous as we entered the play area, so I guess there's a win there.

quote:

Sigh, we may have made a bit of a mistake with the shepherd/lab mix choice since while we're fairly active I don't think we truly knew what we were getting ourselves into. Not gonna lie and say that I haven't had some puppy blues directly related to this breed choice, but now I love the stupid monster and will do anything for it.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I need help with the biting too.

The yelp thing doesn't work, and ignoring her doesn't work, as she just runs of to start biting on something else.

Recomendations for 9 week old lab pup?

I know lab pups have a reputation for bwing especially mouthy

We just want to get to bite inhibition, without poisoning the crate, as the OP states.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Re biting: mine didn’t really stop until he was done teething (6 months-ish) no matter what we did. Obviously keep up with the redirection and removing yourself when it gets too crazy, because those are the correct things to do, but it may just end up being a combination of those things and time that finally solves the issue.

Also, I’m glad you’re trying you’re best to not give up. My partner and I both volunteer with a rescue and it’s so frustrating how many puppies end up in the system because people just want a cute Instagram prop and don’t want to/ aren’t prepared for what a puppy entails. Trust me, in a few months you’ll be seeing some very positive changes in behavior as long as you stay consistent.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mothers correct with a nip or a growl and will remove a misbehaving puppy from the pack. Try a pinch to the scruff or hind area to correct the bite, if this doesn't work move the puppy away from you (do not move away from them) every time the bite occurs. Social exclusion is more impactful than a corrective touch so I wouldn't go to that immediately. Instincts are working now, so you can take advantage of that while getting commands like "no" to take.

Source: we're a couple that have had dogs of all shapes and sizes over the years, vast majority rescues and some unwanted pups with local RSPCA volunteering as well. Do let me know if the above isn't helpful, I'll ask my partner who has more hands on puppy experience than I do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bundy posted:

Mothers correct with a nip or a growl and will remove a misbehaving puppy from the pack. Try a pinch to the scruff or hind area to correct the bite, if this doesn't work move the puppy away from you (do not move away from them) every time the bite occurs. Social exclusion is more impactful than a corrective touch so I wouldn't go to that immediately. Instincts are working now, so you can take advantage of that while getting commands like "no" to take.

Source: we're a couple that have had dogs of all shapes and sizes over the years, vast majority rescues and some unwanted pups with local RSPCA volunteering as well. Do let me know if the above isn't helpful, I'll ask my partner who has more hands on puppy experience than I do.

:hmmyes:

Also, we’ve had success with our foster pups by “yelping” like a puppy sibling would when bit. It’s silly but it works for some dogs.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Not at all silly if you can hit the right sort of pitch. A short hit on a ref's whistle has been helpful in the past. I usually try and work with things that I can have/use anywhere first and hands are usually on that list whether it's a touch or thankfully a decent click.

Anyway I am being terribly rude barging in and not sharing. Our latest rescue and my boy Bruce:

Our Jack Russell Florence and an old fella we have stay with us whenever the owner is away

Speaking of dog sitting, this occasional stray is from my partner's aunt and uncle and goes by the name of Paddy. Spoiled rotten at home but he gets it here and is a very good boy

There's a pug that we have too that's very hard to get a good picture of as he is entirely black and light seems to not escape at all:

:)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Bananana posted:

I need help with the biting too.

The yelp thing doesn't work, and ignoring her doesn't work, as she just runs of to start biting on something else.

Recomendations for 9 week old lab pup?

I know lab pups have a reputation for bwing especially mouthy

We just want to get to bite inhibition, without poisoning the crate, as the OP states.

Re direction. Shove a toy in their mouth when they get bitey. A reassuring 'yes' or 'good' when they redirect that biting that energy to the toy rather than you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bundy posted:

Not at all silly if you can hit the right sort of pitch. A short hit on a ref's whistle has been helpful in the past. I usually try and work with things that I can have/use anywhere first and hands are usually on that list whether it's a touch or thankfully a decent click.

Anyway I am being terribly rude barging in and not sharing. Our latest rescue and my boy Bruce:

Our Jack Russell Florence and an old fella we have stay with us whenever the owner is away

Speaking of dog sitting, this occasional stray is from my partner's aunt and uncle and goes by the name of Paddy. Spoiled rotten at home but he gets it here and is a very good boy

There's a pug that we have too that's very hard to get a good picture of as he is entirely black and light seems to not escape at all:

:)

Those are some good pups. I think I shared these in the GiP dog thread but not here. About 6 weeks ago we rescued an old girl from the pound. She was living on the street for a while. She’s like 2/3 blind and needs some dental work but she’s the sweetest and we love her.

When we got her:

After her first spa day:

Allowing my boy to share the bed with her:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, thank you for the advice. Were at week 1.5 of owning this beautiful like menace, and its... rewarding and trying.

I never remember dogs being difficult, however, that said, none of my previous dogs were very well mannered or trained. Lol.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Bananana posted:

Ok, thank you for the advice. Were at week 1.5 of owning this beautiful like menace, and its... rewarding and trying.

I never remember dogs being difficult, however, that said, none of my previous dogs were very well mannered or trained. Lol.

It's funny, I remember the dogs I grew up with being awesome, but annoying and doing whatever they felt like. I just thought "Well, they're wild animals". Then as I grew up I realized "Ooooh my parents just didn't bother training them".

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Medullah posted:

It's funny, I remember the dogs I grew up with being awesome, but annoying and doing whatever they felt like. I just thought "Well, they're wild animals". Then as I grew up I realized "Ooooh my parents just didn't bother training them".

So much :same:

For those of us that get the terror puppies as adults, I try to look at it positively. Because we were able to work through him and learn so much, our other puppies have been easy as hell. We’ve fostered like 4 other puppies and housebroken all of them within weeks. Makes them easy candidates for adoption to good homes.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

For a lot of puppies yelping can just get them more worked up. What's helped with demon puppies I have known and loved is having a safe space other than their crate that I can dump them in instead of strangling them when they get into shark mode. A puppy pen with safe toys where you can stash them for a while until they chill out or you cool down is great for this. You can also use a tether attached to something if you need to.

Also look at Susan Clothier's Really Real Relaxation protocol. It is so important to teach busy puppies like that how to relax and have an off switch. Otherwise you end up with a dog that needs more and more work to be able to be worn out enough to chill instead of one that knows how to calm themselves appropriately. I just learned about this one recently and like it a lot better than the other relaxation protocols I've seen which turn relaxing into a cue instead of a state of being.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I would like to steal WALK Bruce, where can I find him?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

MF_James posted:

I would like to steal WALK Bruce, where can I find him?

Almost always within a few feet of me haha

He's the gentlest soul despite what he's been through and gets bossed by the other two all the time. It was a weird adoption as we were originally just fostering so we picked him up from being neutered at the vets and that was it he's not left since. He just gazed at me from out of this massive floppy cone of shame the entire ride home

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is a biiiiiig smile!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My dog groomer is back in business. She runs a nice mobile grooming service.

Dexter before:

And now:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is it normal for a dog to be totally zonked out and stumbling ~8 hours after sedation? My dog had to be sedated today so the vet could examine/clean out her ears. She's been sedated once before, but that was when she was spayed and they kept her overnight, so I have no idea what's "normal" for her. Today she can barely walk across the room without lying down, and she still seems very drunk. She has no interest in water or dog food and will only half-heartedly nibble at a treat.

All of the websites say to expect 12-24 hours of lethargy after sedation, so I'm probably overreacting, but I obsess over this dog.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes. The larger the dog the longer it can last apparently. My greatdane would be walking ok after 12 hours or so, but would definitely not be back until after 36-48 hours.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah, there's a ton of variation between dogs too. I wouldn't worry unless they're still really sedated tomorrow after having some time to sleep it off.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thanks for the reassurance. She's back to 95% today. Still no interest in regular dog food but I think she's figured out she can get rice and treats if she holds out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A ton of variation indeed; mine was extremely miserable after her mass-removal earlier last month and then practically all better the next day. Probably got out of surgery at noon, I think, I picked her up around 4 and well in to the night she'd basically sit there and stare at the wall and cry intermittently. I had to hand feed her food, I don't think she drank.

Next day she seemed radically better. By the following day the pain killers didn't subdue her nearly as much as I hoped they would :v:

Two weeks later, the vet said the tumor was NOT cancerous - much to our surprise. So that's pretty :krad: My little gargoyle is happy to be back on her usual perch, finally without cone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sab669 posted:

A ton of variation indeed; mine was extremely miserable after her mass-removal earlier last month and then practically all better the next day. Probably got out of surgery at noon, I think, I picked her up around 4 and well in to the night she'd basically sit there and stare at the wall and cry intermittently. I had to hand feed her food, I don't think she drank.

Next day she seemed radically better. By the following day the pain killers didn't subdue her nearly as much as I hoped they would :v:

Two weeks later, the vet said the tumor was NOT cancerous - much to our surprise. So that's pretty :krad: My little gargoyle is happy to be back on her usual perch, finally without cone.

The look you're getting from her lol.

Also, can't tell if the blinds are hosed up from the dog jumping at them or if you meant to do that so she can look out (obviously the latter but it took me a second)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sab669 posted:

Yay that's great news! Yeah I had to sedate my 1 year old dog for xrays and you basically couldn't tell he had anything like 2 hours later. It was just injectable sedation though, not full general anesthesia.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The blinds were half-drawn so she could look out the window, and also she hosed them up yea. But they were a little hosed up since I moved in to be honest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I started reading Ian Dunbar's "Before You Get a Puppy" ebook linked in the OP.

Stuff like this really worries me:

Because I feel like there's no way I can ensure proper amounts of socialization for a puppy in our current pandemic environment, and I don't want that to cause horrible problems later down the line.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Breeders generally keep puppies for 8 weeks for that reason. Don't buy a younger puppy it's bad practice.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Another great puppy book I like is Perfect Puppy In Seven Days by Sophia Yin. It sounds silly based on the title but it's actually a great book about puppy training and development.

You might be able to be a little creative with how you introduce them to different stimuli, like playing recordings of things. Plus going for walks should be ok once they are old enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock had to get a mast cell tumor removed. It was about the size of a nipple. The vet warned us before we came to get him "a large piece of him was removed..." My boyfriend says, "what, like a leg?"

It legit looks like he was picked up by, and fought off, an eagle. It's so badass.

He is healing well, and the margins are all clear. In 6 months we will do another ultrasound and x-ray, but if all goes well, we are in the clear.