Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Breetai posted:

No-one cares to hear about the tragedy of the commons.

Booo

Also bravo

But also booo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mikroaalto's maammo
:syoon:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Pardon my American ignorance but I wouldn't think communal apartment pools would be that big in Finland. It's not surprising. Nor are they in NY to be honest. In Florida, yeah I think they're a thing.

They're surprisingly common in new buildings in San Francisco.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hawowanlawow posted:

yea I have never used an apartment pool and I never see anyone hanging out in the community areas

a couple years ago the apartment complex across the street from mine had a crazy dude freak out in the common courtyard and stab his two year old son to death while people were watching from their balconies. someone ended up shooting him

Funny pictures, ladies and gentlemen!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Yeah, wow, lovely lesbian jokes sure are funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

She should get out of that pool. Her fingers are turning blue.

WHAT THE gently caress

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Data Graham posted:

Apartment buildings in California (especially in suburban LA) are basically the same layout as every Mediterranean-esque motel: a central courtyard with a pool, surrounded by two stories of apartments with inward-facing open-air corridors, fronting on the street with a blind wall with a metal gate, crammed together with five thousand similar buildings all in a row as the street recedes into the faraway smog.

I mean, we've all seen Melrose Place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Milo and POTUS posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

She's wearing gloves

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

She's wearing gloves

WHAT THE gently caress

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Speak for yourself

tsaofen
May 20, 2009

Lobok posted:

Or Karate Kid?

Like...seriously, people.

Also I would post a funny picture but it's been a year since I've owned a computer and I have apparently aged out of being able to use the internet in that time. Sorry.

tsaofen has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Apr 26, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tsaofen posted:

Or Karate Kid?

Also I would post a funny picture but it's been a year since I've owned a computer and I have apparently aged out of being able to use the internet in that time. Sorry.

Did you make that post by telegram or something?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tsaofen posted:

Or Karate Kid?

i appreciate the neckbeard energy from this post

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WHAT THE gently caress

After a while in those pools your hands get wrinkly and it's hard to hold your beer as easily. The gloves provide the grip.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Elfface posted:

As someone who comes from England, I may just be showing ignorance, but...

Apartment Pool? The gently caress? If you only have one floor, how do you also have a pool? And how is it easier to put one in that space than it is to move somewhere with more floors?

I'm not saying rich people aren't crazy. London's desire for private pools has led to a huge amount of buried construction equipment, because there are maximum height restrictions on buildings, but you can go as deep as you want so long as you don't hit the tube, plus it's cheaper to just bury the digger and build the pool on top of it than it is to get it out again.

But supporting enough water to swim in means a huge amound of reinforcement of the floor below, so you'd be buying multiple floors anyway then... aaaargh!

For real? Even New Zealand apartment blocks often have a lap pool and a (small, lovely) gym, especially new ones.

Also it seems like what most people itt are calling apartment blocks we call townhouses, so when I say apartment block I mean a tall rear end building with like 5-20 floors of usually 1-3 bedroom dwellings. What do people call those if not "apartment blocks"?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inceltown posted:

After a while in those pools your hands get wrinkly and it's hard to hold your beer as easily. The gloves provide the grip.

The entire point of hands and feet getting wrinkly when wet is to provide better grip

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

bike tory posted:

For real? Even New Zealand apartment blocks often have a lap pool and a (small, lovely) gym, especially new ones.

Also it seems like what most people itt are calling apartment blocks we call townhouses, so when I say apartment block I mean a tall rear end building with like 5-20 floors of usually 1-3 bedroom dwellings. What do people call those if not "apartment blocks"?

Condominiums

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Everywhere I've been condos are specifically apartments that you buy. A building full of apartments like bike tory mentioned is just an apartment building.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Super Waffle posted:

Condominiums

No. Condos are bought; apartments are rented.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The big difference in apartment styles in the US compared to everywhere else is that in the US, if you don't live in a dense urban environment like NYC, you live in a sprawling endless suburb. There isn't really a countryside in most of the nation, it's just a never ending blanket of low rise apartment complexes and strip malls.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The big difference in apartment styles in the US compared to everywhere else is that in the US, if you don't live in a dense urban environment like NYC, you live in a sprawling endless suburb. There isn't really a countryside in most of the nation, it's just a never ending blanket of low rise apartment complexes and strip malls.

Lol how wrong

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Can you tell me how? I'm going off the experience I have. I am honored that your second post ever itt is to tell me I'm wrong though, so thank you.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Can you tell me how? I'm going off the experience I have. I am honored that your second post ever itt is to tell me I'm wrong though, so thank you.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but the overwhelming, vast majority of the US is countryside, covering pretty much every biome from farmland, to mountains, forests, plains, swamps and deserts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Master Twig posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but the overwhelming, vast majority of the US is countryside, covering pretty much every biome from farmland, to mountains, forests, plains, swamps and deserts.

I should have clarified that the only places you are likely to find apartments like this are on the coasts or around major cities, where most of the country lives. The whole apartment complex thing isn't really a factor in the middle of the Great Plains, but it sure as hell is in, say, Florida. What I mean by "no countryside" is that you don't leave a city and drive through hill and dale until the next town; it's an unbroken sprawl of urban development in the areas in question.

The Orlando metro area for instance, is like 12 cities all mashed together into one huge urban area.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Apr 26, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Megalopoli like Orlando and New York and LA are like that, yes. But there are thousands of miles of the rest of the country that are not like that suburban sprawl at all.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I dont have thread cred so I can't say I guess

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I should have clarified that the only places you are likely to find apartments like this are on the coasts or around major cities, where most of the country lives. The whole apartment complex thing isn't really a factor in the middle of the Great Plains, but it sure as hell is in, say, Florida. What I mean by "no countryside" is that you don't leave a city and drive through hill and dale until the next town; it's an unbroken sprawl of urban development in the areas in question.

The Orlando metro area for instance, is like 12 cities all mashed together into one huge urban area.

Are you trying to compare the entire country to orlando?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Here let me help:

I should have clarified that the only places you are likely to find apartments like this are on the coasts or around major cities, where most of the country lives. The whole apartment complex thing isn't really a factor in the middle of the Great Plains, but it sure as hell is in, say, Florida.

Data Graham posted:

Megalopoli like Orlando and New York and LA are like that, yes. But there are thousands of miles of the rest of the country that are not like that suburban sprawl at all.

I'm aware. And are there 2 story apartment complexes every mile through those stretches?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

We know where you live now

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
here let me help further by amending your original post:

The big difference in apartment styles in the US compared to everywhere else is that in the US, if you live in an apartment complex and you don't live in a dense urban environment like NYC, you live in a sprawling endless suburb. There isn't really a population of apartment dwellers in the countryside in most of the nation, it's just a never ending blanket of low rise apartment complexes and strip malls.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Something like this is not atypical.

It's not uncommon across wide swathes of the country. New York and the cores of some other metropolises are the exception, and so is rural America. Most of the country lives in lower density cities or the suburbs of major metro areas, generally in tract housing or for those that can't afford it, these types of low density apartments. But since even the apartments are still somewhat too spread out to provide efficient community services, these types of complexes often provide things like pools to their residents.

e: Most of the US being an open rural expanse is true in the same sense that most of the US voted for Trump, it's only true if you ignore where the people are.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 26, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The path running from Boston to DC is like that, but if you drive west at any point you pretty quickly get into rural areas. I think that's more representative of the typical big city than Florida, which has some unusual geographic constraints.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not uncommon across wide swathes of the country. New York and the cores of some other metropolises are the exception, and so is rural America. Most of the country lives in lower density cities or the suburbs of major metro areas, generally in tract housing or for those that can't afford it, these types of low density apartments. But since even the apartments are still somewhat too spread out to provide efficient community services, these types of complexes often provide things like pools to their residents.

e: Most of the US being an open rural expanse is true in the same sense that most of the US voted for Trump, it's only true if you ignore where the people are.

This exactly.

morallyobjected posted:

here let me help further by amending your original post:

Whether you live in an apartment or not is irrelevant to fact that these areas exist in large areas of the US, and contain the types of complexes in question.

ultrafilter posted:

The path running from Boston to DC is like that, but if you drive west at any point you pretty quickly get into rural areas.

Yes, but the whole point of this derail is that the former exists, and therefore contains apartment complexes unlike what you find in other countries that don't have the same types of environments.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Apr 26, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Boy, sure loving all the funny pictures in this thread.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Imagined posted:

Boy, sure loving all the funny pictures in this thread.

Feel free to post some then

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

thanks for the 10 posts elaborating on how you visisted orlando 1 time and that must be what the whole country is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

I live in a small coastal town in California. I drive 10 miles through farmland to work in the nearby college town. Granted, these aren’t major cities - my town is about 15k pop and the city I work in is about 45k - but it still means you’re wrong. If by “areas in question,” you mean “only the areas that prove me right,” then sure.