Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My castle level came together faster than I anticipated, so here's SUPER HASCHEL WORLD!

1) HCM: Snowball Fight!
2) Polar Pokey Canyon
3) Sherbet Lake
4) Mechakoopa Mountaintop
5) Snowmelt Castle

I plan to come back to this later, but I played the first two levels for now. I loved the first one. The snowball throwers, who initially seem so harmless, turn out to be a nice challenge. You can't let your guard down or you'll be heading into a pit! Really nice work on this level.

I had more trouble with the second level. To hit the blocks on the ground, are you supposed to stand on a pokey, wait until it gets to the very edge of a spike pit, then pick it up? If so, it took me a while to figure this out. Also, I felt like there were numerous times in the level where you were kind of out of luck if you lost your Mario 2 mushroom, for example with pokeys which were too tall to jump over normally. If you ever revise this level, it would be great if you could complete the level without being hit, regardless of whether you have the Mario 2 mushroom or not. Still, cool stuff, and I'm looking forward to coming back to this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DorianGravy posted:

So it looks like my Super Petrichor World has been blowing up today!

Thanks to everyone here who gave it a shot, and for your kind words. I'm looking forward to playing your worlds!

I played through your world (6HG-1YW-VJG). Tough levels (like having to avoid a bunch of monty moles on a lowering platform surrounded by spikes in the first level!). Nice work with the theme. My favorite part was in level two: in the second part of the water section, I liked where the coins expanded you area of light. Really clever. I might suggest having fewer enemies in general, though. A few monty moles can go a long way! Nice work.

You know what I just realized there really was no reason to make that corridor spikes. I think when I was making it I just already had spikes out. I had used them in place of pits for falling off the path, but could have used regular walls there. There is a secret Star there with just the right amount of moles coming out to give you a 1-up, indicated by a coin. And I tried to put a regular mushroom there that would just about allow you to damage boost through if you needed

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

DorianGravy posted:

I had more trouble with the second level. To hit the blocks on the ground, are you supposed to stand on a pokey, wait until it gets to the very edge of a spike pit, then pick it up? If so, it took me a while to figure this out. Also, I felt like there were numerous times in the level where you were kind of out of luck if you lost your Mario 2 mushroom, for example with pokeys which were too tall to jump over normally. If you ever revise this level, it would be great if you could complete the level without being hit, regardless of whether you have the Mario 2 mushroom or not. Still, cool stuff, and I'm looking forward to coming back to this world.

The SMB2 mushroom actually lets you grab snowballs out of the ground so there's no need to damage boost or wait for Pokey to get to the edge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just discovered this thread, so thanks everyone posting levels here for giving me another thing to do during quarantine. I have no interest in making Mario Maker levels, but I love playing them (with the exception of the crazy speed run courses, I’m not that good).

Only issue is I have to pry the switch from my wife’s hands because she is playing so much Animal Crossing lol. It’s to the point where I would consider getting a second switch, but I really don’t want a Lite , and obviously the normal Switch can’t be found without price gouging (I’m not that desperate).

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know what I just realized there really was no reason to make that corridor spikes. I think when I was making it I just already had spikes out. I had used them in place of pits for falling off the path, but could have used regular walls there. There is a secret Star there with just the right amount of moles coming out to give you a 1-up, indicated by a coin. And I tried to put a regular mushroom there that would just about allow you to damage boost through if you needed

I think I just played this level. I died a million times in the falling corridor (missed the hidden star), but eventually got it. I liked it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The SMB2 mushroom actually lets you grab snowballs out of the ground so there's no need to damage boost or wait for Pokey to get to the edge.

Oh, I didn't know that! Okay, then I think that solves a lot of my trouble with the level. Still, the level is probably a little less fun if you lose your Mario 2 mushroom. I'll give it another shot later today.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, I finally made a world. It's themed around the hat powerups for 3D World, so I made five new stages for it.

World
8SN-6WS-F9G

Individual Levels
XLV-7MT-01G - Me & My Friends
SL5-60T-XDF - The Flybrary
BM7-FXQ-XRF - KerPOW Climb
0D6-PQD-CTG - Propping with Mr. Thwomp
V14-V44-54G - Wizard Storm

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Finally found some time to make a level. I whipped up this short frog suit speedun-ish stage:

BW3-HCN-VJF

Not very original unfortunately and it's super easy. Just some running with a p switch. Hopefully it's still fun though. I'm inspired to make more short levels to start filling up a world, and all the new power-ups have lots of potential. Really enjoying this update!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well I got done with that castle much faster than I thought:

Ludwig's Lakeside Lair
67G-7DY-XDF

And, here's the super world I just put it in!

These are four new courses and one old one. All are aimed to be on the difficulty level of a normal mario level, though there is a rising difficulty curve to the world. At least I hope there is and I didn't completely misjudge the difficulties.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Another Dark Souls inspired boss battle.

Larry's Lair

QFY-78F-FPG

Hope I didn't overdue it with this one.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

My castle level came together faster than I anticipated, so here's SUPER HASCHEL WORLD!

1) HCM: Snowball Fight! (55V-XGF-0NF)
2) Polar Pokey Canyon (D81-KVH-C5G)
3) Sherbet Lake (DVB-375-DGF)
4) Mechakoopa Mountaintop (D2D-004-60G)
5) Snowmelt Castle (6RS-00T-NFF)

I beat Super Haschel World! I enjoyed your later levels, especially the castle. Defending an ice platform against bob-ombs, rockets, and other stuff was really neat, and actually gave me a couple game overs. The Lemmy fights were cool too, and you made good use of the environments to make them interesting and challenging.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Duckman2008 posted:

I just discovered this thread, so thanks everyone posting levels here for giving me another thing to do during quarantine. I have no interest in making Mario Maker levels, but I love playing them (with the exception of the crazy speed run courses, I’m not that good).

Only issue is I have to pry the switch from my wife’s hands because she is playing so much Animal Crossing lol. It’s to the point where I would consider getting a second switch, but I really don’t want a Lite , and obviously the normal Switch can’t be found without price gouging (I’m not that desperate).

I think I just played this level. I died a million times in the falling corridor (missed the hidden star), but eventually got it. I liked it.

There's quite literally 1000+ levels in this thread alone so you should just buy a second Switch :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I promise I'm going to play as many levels as I can but man, I've really been plugging away at making a full game and I haven't even thought of hitting the play tag unless it's to playtest :smith:

I just hope people like it when it one day comes out.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

aaaaaa

My level Bullet Bay has hit the Popular Levels leaderboard and is sitting at #35. Everything was normal, I checked out a random World, and when I finished I got a notification that 215 people had played my level.

This is exciting!

EDIT: First silver and gold medals. :c00l:

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 26, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Went ahead and built a world around 5 of my auto scrollers for the time being until I build levels for the worlds. Attempted to put them in difficulty order as best I could

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How do you get your game world ID? Or find others game world IDs?

Can you only submit one game world online?

e: What I'm saying is I have two perfectly good gimmick ideas for game worlds, and I love both of my precious children equally.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 26, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a ghost house for my first world.

Galoomba Gardens Ghost House
44P-F5B-2MG

Ghost houses seem kinda difficult. I want to make them somewhat maze-like and confusing, but considering this is supposed to be world 1 of i dunno how many I had to dial it back and not make it super obnoxious. I really wish there was a way to have multiple exits now that we can have worlds with branching paths. I'm a fan of making levels with multiple routes through them, but considering that they have to terminate at the same point making levels like that doesn't really serve much of a purpose unfortunately.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

How do you get your game world ID? Or find others game world IDs?

Can you only submit one game world online?

e: What I'm saying is I have two perfectly good gimmick ideas for game worlds, and I love both of my precious children equally.

You can only have one world uploaded at a time unfortunately. Your maker ID is what is used for the world IDs.

I made a quick little frog level so I could have a really easy stage for 1-1 of my world. It has no enemies and you just run and follow the coins. Its less than a minute long. 7 out of the 9 people that played it so far didn't clear it. I wonder if people just don't know how to run on the water as the frog suit and it's confusing them. The description explains how to run on the water but you can't see the course descriptions in world mode for some reason. Back to the drawing board I guess :(

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
I am ~slowly~ putting a World together, it's probably way too long.

Once Upon a Beginning - BHR-LV4-PJG - I didn't have a good "introductory" stage that fit into the continuity I was trying to force onto you, gentle player. So I made one.

Fryin' Up - D4R-Y44-PWG - How many times have I posted this one? I forget. Anyway, some of you probably haven't played it and if it's going to go in the thingie than I felt it needed a few tweaks.

Gnome Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 3, 2020

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
How do you make Mario run on water with the frog suit?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

dog nougat posted:

Made a ghost house for my first world.

Galoomba Gardens Ghost House
44P-F5B-2MG

Ghost houses seem kinda difficult. I want to make them somewhat maze-like and confusing, but considering this is supposed to be world 1 of i dunno how many I had to dial it back and not make it super obnoxious. I really wish there was a way to have multiple exits now that we can have worlds with branching paths. I'm a fan of making levels with multiple routes through them, but considering that they have to terminate at the same point making levels like that doesn't really serve much of a purpose unfortunately.

Overall, I liked this level, so nice work! I though the puzzles were appropriate for a ghost house, and the ending surprised me.

If you're looking for feedback about difficulty, I think it's definitely a bit tough for a world 1 ghost house. In Super Mario World, I think there was only a single trick and a handful of enemies in the first ghost house. You could definitely stand to tone it down if you didn't want to turn away beginning players. Or just make this into a ghost house for a later world. Possible things to tone down:
- Get rid of some ghost wheels. Combined with the floor ghosts, they're tricky to get through unharmed. This is especially true in the room after the checkpoint. Also, in that room, there was an invisible block that got me killed. I would suggest only using invisible blocks for puzzles (and even then hinted at pretty obviously), and try really hard not to use them near enemies or pits. Getting killed because of one is a bit frustrating.
- I found the part where you bounce on note blocks pretty tough, and I died a few times there. You could make this simpler by changing some note blocks into solid blocks or those falling o-shaped blocks.
- You could also make the ghosts' starting points slightly more out of the way. In the first room, for example, one ghost was in a tricky spot right off the bat when I was trying to get the p-switch.

Still, great job. I think it's a nice ghost house.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Well I got done with that castle much faster than I thought:

Ludwig's Lakeside Lair
67G-7DY-XDF

And, here's the super world I just put it in!

These are four new courses and one old one. All are aimed to be on the difficulty level of a normal mario level, though there is a rising difficulty curve to the world. At least I hope there is and I didn't completely misjudge the difficulties.

Nice world. I liked the secret scattered throughout, which you could unlock with the red coins. The Abandoned Village had a great theme and some good exploration, and I liked the showdown with Ludwig in the end. Having a quick platforming section where you have you avoid him, then have a showdown with him, was a great idea.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mooseontheloose posted:

How do you make Mario run on water with the frog suit?
The only way frog Mario will run and not just hop along is if he's holding an item.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

Overall, I liked this level, so nice work! I though the puzzles were appropriate for a ghost house, and the ending surprised me.

If you're looking for feedback about difficulty, I think it's definitely a bit tough for a world 1 ghost house. In Super Mario World, I think there was only a single trick and a handful of enemies in the first ghost house. You could definitely stand to tone it down if you didn't want to turn away beginning players. Or just make this into a ghost house for a later world. Possible things to tone down:
- Get rid of some ghost wheels. Combined with the floor ghosts, they're tricky to get through unharmed. This is especially true in the room after the checkpoint. Also, in that room, there was an invisible block that got me killed. I would suggest only using invisible blocks for puzzles (and even then hinted at pretty obviously), and try really hard not to use them near enemies or pits. Getting killed because of one is a bit frustrating.
- I found the part where you bounce on note blocks pretty tough, and I died a few times there. You could make this simpler by changing some note blocks into solid blocks or those falling o-shaped blocks.
- You could also make the ghosts' starting points slightly more out of the way. In the first room, for example, one ghost was in a tricky spot right off the bat when I was trying to get the p-switch.

Still, great job. I think it's a nice ghost house.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

It's my 3rd and probably most successful ghost house to this point(the others aren't uploaded). In retrospect, I got some fatigue or creative block towards the end of making this house and relied a bit to heavily on dumb gimmicks to make it challenging. I felt compelled to use a sub level to pad out the level length and it kinda fell flat. I should probably try to limit myself to just using the main area for the first ghost house and modify the puzzle slightly/extend it to the second floor area or something.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

dog nougat posted:

It's my 3rd and probably most successful ghost house to this point(the others aren't uploaded). In retrospect, I got some fatigue or creative block towards the end of making this house and relied a bit to heavily on dumb gimmicks to make it challenging. I felt compelled to use a sub level to pad out the level length and it kinda fell flat. I should probably try to limit myself to just using the main area for the first ghost house and modify the puzzle slightly/extend it to the second floor area or something.

I've found that the ability to make worlds has me feeling less compelled to pad out the length of levels; it feels fine to have a short level when you know it's just a small piece of an overall whole.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Went ahead and built a world around 5 of my auto scrollers for the time being until I build levels for the worlds. Attempted to put them in difficulty order as best I could

Cool levels! I played all of them except the snow one (which was out of the way), and really enjoyed them. They were all exciting and the progression of difficulty was well done, and there were definitely plenty of points where I was falling behind dangerously, which was great. I think the ghost one was my favorite.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

dog nougat posted:

I just played this, and yeah, it's way too hard for a world 1 ghost house, if we're going by normal mario game standards. There's death pits everywhere and a whole host of hazards to dodge in very quick succession in a way that mario almost never goes for.

That said though, cool level! I'm afraid i massively tanked your clear rate because i liked it so much i wanted to go for a good time on it. I really like the p-switch room loop you have to do at the beginning, that feels like some classic ghost house stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

I am ~slowly~ putting a World together, it's probably way too long.

Once Upon a Beginning - BHR-LV4-PJG - I didn't have a good "introductory" stage that fit into the continuity I was trying to force onto you, gentle player. So I made one.

Very nice first level! It's really hard to get the balance of not too challenging but still interesting and I think you nailed it. Secret placement was on point, too.

I have some unrelated advice: you (and everyone else) should really pick "lock tags" in the options. unlocked tags does not mean that like, there's some sort of communal effort to put tags on the level and the most popular get chosen. no, it means literally anyone can alter the tags of your level at any time, permanently, until someone else comes along and does the same. unlocking your tags is a nice way to end up with your normal-rear end levels being tagged as "multiplayer versus, auto mario" or something like that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Amppelix posted:

Very nice first level! It's really hard to get the balance of not too challenging but still interesting and I think you nailed it. Secret placement was on point, too.

I have some unrelated advice: you (and everyone else) should really pick "lock tags" in the options. unlocked tags does not mean that like, there's some sort of communal effort to put tags on the level and the most popular get chosen. no, it means literally anyone can alter the tags of your level at any time, permanently, until someone else comes along and does the same. unlocking your tags is a nice way to end up with your normal-rear end levels being tagged as "multiplayer versus, auto mario" or something like that

Weird. Why is that even an option.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Piecing together worlds and got 6 layouts so far, just filling them with levels and making new ones to mix in with the old :v:. It's really relaxing and fun honestly.

That said just finished a castle with Lemmy in it and man I think he's probably my favotie koopaling, the orbs he throws at you are such a goddamn pain in the rear end yet they manage to be fun to mess around with. I wish he was kinda like spike and you could spawn the balls without him needing to be around. Let me launch them out of pipes!!

I kinda wanna post my world as it is now to get feedback on all the new levels and how well they mesh with the old ones but if I'm hoping to get people to play them, I don't want to make people play through 30 something levels just to get to the new stuff when I am eventually done :shobon:

That all said on the koopalings I think Roy let me down the most. In the Mania Mine level I had tucked away I wanted him to chase you through the level (ceilings low enough or hazards kept you moving so you couldn't fight him) then at the end you throw down, but unlike Meowser he apparently despawns if you get too far away from him which- as it turns out- is right next to the boss arena I set up. As a result it's a pretty easy level but eh :argh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Piecing together worlds and got 6 layouts so far, just filling them with levels and making new ones to mix in with the old :v:. It's really relaxing and fun honestly.

That said just finished a castle with Lemmy in it and man I think he's probably my favotie koopaling, the orbs he throws at you are such a goddamn pain in the rear end yet they manage to be fun to mess around with. I wish he was kinda like spike and you could spawn the balls without him needing to be around. Let me launch them out of pipes!!

I kinda wanna post my world as it is now to get feedback on all the new levels and how well they mesh with the old ones but if I'm hoping to get people to play them, I don't want to make people play through 30 something levels just to get to the new stuff when I am eventually done :shobon:

That all said on the koopalings I think Roy let me down the most. In the Mania Mine level I had tucked away I wanted him to chase you through the level (ceilings low enough or hazards kept you moving so you couldn't fight him) then at the end you throw down, but unlike Meowser he apparently despawns if you get too far away from him which- as it turns out- is right next to the boss arena I set up. As a result it's a pretty easy level but eh :argh:

You could make it an autoscroller.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Agreed. When I first saw him I thought "He can't hurt you with his projectiles? Lame; he's gonna be just a more-annoying Boom Boom." But with the right boss arena? :discourse:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have an easy fix for you. Create a second Roy at the boss arena. That way you have the pursuing Roy, and a Fresh Roy for the boss fight when the other despawns.

Agreed. When I first saw him I thought "He can't hurt you with his projectiles? Lame; he's gonna be just a more-annoying Boom Boom." But with the right boss arena? :discourse:

Made a stage based around him. Namely Lemmy in a Lakitu cloud that pops out the balls needed to get past many of the obstacles.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1254766416017993728

Submissions are due at midnight EST, May 1st 2020.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 27, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Training posted:

You could make it an autoscroller.

I hid some goodies in the course if you can climb back up around saws and stuff so would be losing out on that. Hm.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have an easy fix for you. Create a second Roy at the boss arena. That way you have the pursuing Roy, and a Fresh Roy for the boss fight when the other despawns.

I think if you go slow enough Roy will keep up, so my big worry was that younger/less skilled players would get double teamed and break the illusion. I'll have to sit on it a bit, maybe tweak it around because the level really is kinda pathetic without him harassing you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hid some goodies in the course if you can climb back up around saws and stuff so would be losing out on that. Hm.

I think if you go slow enough Roy will keep up, so my big worry was that younger/less skilled players would get double teamed and break the illusion. I'll have to sit on it a bit, maybe tweak it around because the level really is kinda pathetic without him harassing you.

It's more involved to design/time but it's still possible to hide secrets in alternative paths above or below the "main" passage of an autoscroller. It's fun when people put the effort into doing this though bc it makes autoscrollers feel more thought out than just "I put a artificial timer on this stage"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I updated my Super World with another world, based around the micro courses I did.

I didn't include the super hard ones, and made three new ones at the end.

World: 8SN-6WS-F9G

Now of course if you don't want to have to play 7 old courses to get to the three new ones, the new ones are below:

5QJ-QCM-JQF - Micro World Returns!
1Q7-PC0-R2G - A New Micro World Approaches
TG7-BFP-35G - Micro 3D Finale

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just did a similar concept in my last level (Ludwig's Lakeside Lair, 67G-7DY-XDF if you want to see it in action) where ludwig chases you through some rooms and then you fight. the super easy way to set this up is to simply have a door transition you between the chase and the arena; that'll reset the first roy back to his original spawn and let you fight the second one in peace.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Working on W2, need a few more levels, but I'm actually pretty proud of this one so I figured I'd post it in this thread early:

Bullet Bill Bog:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I just did a similar concept in my last level (Ludwig's Lakeside Lair, 67G-7DY-XDF if you want to see it in action) where ludwig chases you through some rooms and then you fight. the super easy way to set this up is to simply have a door transition you between the chase and the arena; that'll reset the first roy back to his original spawn and let you fight the second one in peace.

I liked this level! The two-stage Ludwig fight was well done. It sounds like it should work for you, ThisIsACoolGuy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DorianGravy posted:

I liked this level! The two-stage Ludwig fight was well done. It sounds like it should work for you, ThisIsACoolGuy.

Always feels bad taking down a course with 20 likes (people like easy levels go figure) but I'll be satisfied.

Will give it a shot when I get around to updating it.

Also shout out to Porkins who's been finding my levels already and playing them :v: