Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I was always amused at Tanya switching sides to being a loyal fangirl of the Commander given the cold greeting she gives you at first and the fact that you're barely out of the first act here. It's not a surprise that it's bound to happen eventually, but I always thought that trigger was pulled rather abruptly and a few missions too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I always got past that last tower by sending a spy in to shut off the power. In my latest playthrough I tried actually using spies in missions where you aren't required to and found they were a lot more useful than I thought they were as a kid. Capturing enemy outposts and leaving a single power station up so I could cut their power on demand made later missions so much easier.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boy that cameraman doesn't want to miss a second of what's going on down Kari Wuhler's vest, huh

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Simply Simon posted:

If you use any unit but Tanya in this mission you are a coward

Counter argument:
You can capture the nukes with engineers and the game even has an audio dialogue for "Hell yes are you going to use this to nuke the other one!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dabir posted:

Boy that cameraman doesn't want to miss a second of what's going on down Kari Wuhler's vest, huh

the camera being extremely thirsty is a C&C tradition, for good or for ill

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Counter argument:
You can capture the nukes with engineers and the game even has an audio dialogue for "Hell yes are you going to use this to nuke the other one!"

Yeah, that was always my preferred method of taking out the 2nd Nuke Silo. Anyway, always liked this mission, its just incredibly solid all around, and really refined/faster paced then the commando missions from previous games. Being greatly rewarded for going off the beaten track is always nice, and Red Alert 2, so far, has constantly given out some pretty great stuff if you search around. Yeah, nothing really else to say, a great mission combined with a nice bit of world building to boot.

As for Spies, being able to disguise as whatever infantry unit you opponent currently has on the field is a very nice upgrade, although once again the good old cheap Attack Dog really keeps them in check. It is nice that the Allies now also have Attack Dogs though for multiplayer, as now they can deal with spies a bit easier.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

FoolyCharged posted:

You know what you must do, Jobbo.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Another victory for the Polish Covert Stealth Bovine Brigade!

Cows are something of a running gag in this game.

Cythereal posted:

How did the Soviets move their army to North America with no one suspecting a thing, you ask?

Psychic mind control, same as with every other logical objection to the game's events so far.

Of all things, the Prima Strategy Guide explained this - the Soviets are supposed to have staged a coup in an unspecified client state in Latin America and shipped their army to Mexico under cover of putting down the uprising.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
On the German Chancellor, I suspect they may have been going for Helmut Kohl in terms of appearance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Kohl

Certainly feels like it to me.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I was always amused at Tanya switching sides to being a loyal fangirl of the Commander given the cold greeting she gives you at first and the fact that you're barely out of the first act here. It's not a surprise that it's bound to happen eventually, but I always thought that trigger was pulled rather abruptly and a few missions too early.

I saw this less as loyal fangirling towards the Commander and more a "I'll take one I know how to work with over a complete stranger"

You don't have a big track record with her yet, but at least you have A track record. She'll take that over the smarmy "I shall be in command now, oui?" French commander.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You're also a fellow American, presumably.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

There's a lot of ways to tackle this mission. You can see in the video it gives you a fair number of tools which, depending on how you go about it, you may or may not discover. The cows, the elite troops, as other people mentioned using an engineer to steal the nuke or turn it into a conventional base-building mission. One thing I don't think Jobbo showed off is that if you run out of spies Tanya radios for more and another chopper flies in with another three spies, so effectively you've got infinite spies, and if you don't shoot the troops along the border you've also got readily available disguises. When I was a kid I did this that way which I think is the intended way, always using spies to shut down the power to remove tesla coils.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Awww come on the Spy stuff was being held back for a reason :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Like I get we see the Spy but I can't build more and I'll get more interactions later.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Every time in the past someone decided to inform the thread on a bunch of stuff Jobbo missed it turned out he was going to show it all off later, but I just know this time will be different.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I mean, has anyone so far managed to post about anything that Jobbo didn't in fact already know? :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, has anyone so far managed to post about anything that Jobbo didn't in fact already know? :v:
Repairability of bridges in TS GDI Mission 2! Such a necessary, world-view-changing piece of info!

Anyhow, the reworked spies are probably my favorite change from RA1 to RA2; always felt wrong to me that in a game about the Cold War, spies were such a non-factor. They're also one of the biggest reasons why Allies are just so much more fun to play than Soviets.

However, I can't help but feel the spy talk detracts from the real heros of this mission: the cows. Having an invisible scout is amazingly useful in a commando mission - most of commando deaths in the previous games were down to vehicles/dogs/obelisks/tesla coils just popping out of the fog of war; the cows are a great way to get around that and plan your approach.
Basically it's a drat shame you can't manufacture them because in some regards they are better spies than spies.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 24, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Huh, speaking of the FoW, that's one thing that feels surprisingly un-updated since the early games: the very low sight range of units. It's easy to get pounded out of the fog of war while patrolling.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, speaking of the FoW, that's one thing that feels surprisingly un-updated since the early games: the very low sight range of units. It's easy to get pounded out of the fog of war while patrolling.

on the other hand, Red Alert 2 keeps the mechanic where you have permanent perfect vision after FoW is removed, something that I don't recall any other contemporary RTS games doing.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

kaosdrachen posted:

I saw this less as loyal fangirling towards the Commander and more a "I'll take one I know how to work with over a complete stranger"

You don't have a big track record with her yet, but at least you have A track record. She'll take that over the smarmy "I shall be in command now, oui?" French commander.

Keep in mind this is a French commander post alt-WW2 where Germany never bypassed the Maginot line. She may have been worried that he'd just decide "we shall build a wall to keep the nukes out hon-hon-hon!"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The French in RA2 can build crazy defensive lines, it's true.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

keseph posted:

She may have been worried that he'd just decide "we shall build a wall to keep the nukes out hon-hon-hon!"
this does sound like the train of thought that leads to Firestorm station.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

on the other hand, Red Alert 2 keeps the mechanic where you have permanent perfect vision after FoW is removed, something that I don't recall any other contemporary RTS games doing.

Was ra2 the last game with old style, black non regenerating FOW? Struggling to think of anything else, AOE2, emperor both had regenerating fog iirc.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the problem is nobody knows whether or not something is being held back or is genuinely something they missed, nobody will be able to know that, and I think "literally don't discuss any aspect of any unit that's been shown but not explained" is exceptionally stifling in what is theoretically a discussion thread. Future game spoilers are obvious, but a unit shown on screen?

but it's jobbo's LP so my opinion means, well, not much! It just means I'm not inclined to post much at all, and that's nobody's choice but mine.

e: also I didn't read Jobbo as trying to lay down Thread Law so much as being disappointed their plan failed, but I'm not Yuri ....or am I

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 24, 2020

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Slavvy posted:

Was ra2 the last game with old style, black non regenerating FOW? Struggling to think of anything else, AOE2, emperor both had regenerating fog iirc.

Regenerating fog was an option in RA1 and was "the standard" from basically WC2 onward. I think it was mentioned in the TS thread that it was an open and unusual decision by Westwood to maintain the non-regenerating fog this long but they believed players wanted it.

On a separate note, Jobbo, given that this game has a lot more MP-only units that aren't just unrestricted SP units (MCV) and don't ever have a cameo (chemical warriors), how are you planning to handle showing them off and discussing?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Psion posted:

I think the problem is nobody knows whether or not something is being held back or is genuinely something they missed
we are posting in a post-Faze LP after all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

keseph posted:

Regenerating fog was an option in RA1 and was "the standard" from basically WC2 onward. I think it was mentioned in the TS thread that it was an open and unusual decision by Westwood to maintain the non-regenerating fog this long but they believed players wanted it.

On a separate note, Jobbo, given that this game has a lot more MP-only units that aren't just unrestricted SP units (MCV) and don't ever have a cameo (chemical warriors), how are you planning to handle showing them off and discussing?

Anything we don't see in the campaigns will get a part in a skirmish match video.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There are some absolutely amazing MP only units in this game.

In general I feel RA2 really does a great job differentiating the factions more than RA1 did but I'll wait until we get into the Soviet campaign to really elaborate. Both sides have some really neat quirks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

keseph posted:

Well they were pretty correct. In as "cartoony" an RTS as the C&C games(both mainline and RA), regenerating fog of war doesn't really work. Keep that stuff for the more realistic games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Well they were pretty correct. In as "cartoony" an RTS as the C&C games(both mainline and RA), regenerating fog of war doesn't really work. Keep that stuff for the more realistic games.
You say that, but Warcraft 2 had it and RTS doesn't get much more cartoony than that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ten days ago, C&C Remastered posted their Official Reveal Trailer and I'm only hearing about it now. My god those games look amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAc2rMlOOYc

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I still think they made the terrain texture a bit too.. Flat in colour, I guess? The grass for C&C especially looks simplified.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

anilEhilated posted:

You say that, but Warcraft 2 had it and RTS doesn't get much more cartoony than that.

I'm always surprised when people remind me that turning that setting on was an option. I never used it and never will.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

anilEhilated posted:

cartoony in design, perhaps, but outside of the roaming critters there weren't any easter eggs or anything in War2 (not even in StarCraft either, though in Brood War they more or less forced you to explore as much of the map as possible in order to win certain missions) so there wasn't much to see on the map outside of the enemy base and troop movements.

the C&C games right from the start have a lot more going on on the map, buildings tend to have people in them, the AI is programmed to do certain things at certain times with areas that are not your base. I think that is the bigger difference between the two ideas regarding FoW

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Ten days ago, C&C Remastered posted their Official Reveal Trailer and I'm only hearing about it now. My god those games look amazing.
I had numerous nits to pick with the remaster, but judging from the trailer (which was first posted on March 10), the RA side of things is actually decent, much better than the same developer Lemon Sky's StarCraft at least.

One frame from the 4K trailer, showing all the details in the RA art:

The frame above is at the remaster's 1:1 zoom, where each cell is a 128x128 square, up from the original's 24x24. That's the biggest upscale so far in this recent crop of 2D remasters, compared to say, StarCraft's 4.5x and AoE2's 2x.

The TD side fares worse. It is hamstrung by the aspect ratio problem to begin with: instead of trying to model everything based on their intended proportions with the 320x200 mode's 5:6 rectangular pixels, which would introduce some real but far from insurmountable challenges, they went the easy path of treating them as square pixels, so everything, from buildings to vehicles to humans look squat in the remaster. On top of that, their TD artwork seems to have lower quality, e.g. buildings tend to be less detailed, more over-literal interpretations.

A TD frame from the trailer, stretched to the "correct" ratio:

Even though the remaster's new models aren't made for the stretching, you can see the buildings & humans look more naturally proportioned in this.

cuc fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 26, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Wow, that looks to be an absolute TON of extras, quality of life, and bonus stuff in the Remaster. Plus I am always a sucker for on the fly switching between old and new graphics. Freaking day one purchase from me is now pretty much 100%. Really hope that someday TS/Firestorm and heck RA2 and its expansion get the same treatment, because this just looks more and more amazing every single time a new update comes out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't like how shiny, clean and plastic everything looks. :saddowns:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm surprisingly OK with the clean graphics, I've always felt one of the hallmarks of TD at least was that you rolled into town with a MCV and set up a fully automated military factory-base of the future that churned out shiny new tanks within minutes of deployment.

Still no word (that I can see at least) on whether there's a working rules file or any balance tweaks. The focus on multiplayer matchmaking and ELO ranking features seems a bit odd, because surely everyone knows it's not very well balanced? At the very least I'd love to play through the TD campaign again, but with the tiberium value increased a bunch and perhaps unit speeds turned up across the board.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 26, 2020

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Poil posted:

I don't like how shiny, clean and plastic everything looks. :saddowns:

Legacy mode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't tell whether legacy graphics is also a single player thing only, or if it's just the toggle thing that is.