Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There was just a CMO PE Stream with some really cool looking stuff. Above is DCS directly linked to CMO. Saw some cool stuff with directional EMP, high velocity vehicles, and comms jamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

PE is the "non-governments will never be able to get this" edition, right? Because

Yooper posted:

DCS directly linked to CMO
I am furiously attempting to subscribe to this newsletter.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That map quality is a lot better than what we have too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheDemon posted:

That map quality is a lot better than what we have too.

They mentioned you need a Bing license or some such to go with it. Also being able to use older map images, but I assume that's part of Bing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Best Defense

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

power crystals posted:

PE is the "non-governments will never be able to get this" edition, right? Because

I am furiously attempting to subscribe to this newsletter.
Academic institutions. Its uh, pretty expensive.

Edit: That's a different license, but it's similar. If you're interested, you can buy your own copy from the GSA catalogue: https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advantage/catalog/product_detail.do?gsin=11000077512980 .

piL fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 21, 2020

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Wait, am I reading that correctly? They want 20K per year for the license?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Yep! To be fair, that's premium. There's a $10k/year license, and a $1k/year academic license ($50/year per student copy)

And it's probably worth it if you're the Marine Corps or something. I could see something like this being super useful and worth $20k at Department Head school, or the War Colleges. The problem is they've featured and priced themselves out of other markets. I can envision much smaller use cases worth smaller amounts of money, but like any utility software, pricing is difficult. If you need to edit one photo, the $34 per app per month business licence fee of Adobe probably isn't worth it, but if you're a design studio, $80/designer/month is probably easily worth it. Trying to make lots of different tiers and use cases ends up with customers naturally trying to get to the cheapest case or frustrated at their use-limited versions.

And also when you think about Adobe charging businesses $80/user/month, well that's $960 a year, so if you've got 9 employees, you're at this price already for a much less specialized piece of software that has competitors available for all of its services.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

piL posted:

Yep! To be fair, that's premium. There's a $10k/year license, and a $1k/year academic license ($50/year per student copy)

And it's probably worth it if you're the Marine Corps or something. I could see something like this being super useful and worth $20k at Department Head school, or the War Colleges. The problem is they've featured and priced themselves out of other markets. I can envision much smaller use cases worth smaller amounts of money, but like any utility software, pricing is difficult. If you need to edit one photo, the $34 per app per month business licence fee of Adobe probably isn't worth it, but if you're a design studio, $80/designer/month is probably easily worth it. Trying to make lots of different tiers and use cases ends up with customers naturally trying to get to the cheapest case or frustrated at their use-limited versions.

And also when you think about Adobe charging businesses $80/user/month, well that's $960 a year, so if you've got 9 employees, you're at this price already for a much less specialized piece of software that has competitors available for all of its services.

Well if you don't spend that budget they'll give us less next year... In fact spend more than you need, then they'll think we need more.

Realistically as awesome as some of that stuff is, I'm not sure how much I'd use. The enhanced comms stuff is pretty neat, it's something I'd like to use more without it being frustrating from a narrative point. Having AirGoons actually fly a mission in CMO would be pretty awesome. The Monte Carlo stuff is neato, but beyond judging how well a mission would do statistically... The DB editor is extra cool, designing wacky boats and planes and making them fight would be awesome but it shall remain a dream. I've heard the DB horror stories from the Harpoon days so I'd prefer the organization. Though a basic editor that syncs to steam so if someone downloads your wacky scenario can get your TU-F-16-45 prototype without having to get some crazy obscure DB package.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

piL posted:

And it's probably worth it if you're the Marine Corps or something. I could see something like this being super useful and worth $20k at Department Head school, or the War Colleges. The problem is they've featured and priced themselves out of other markets.

Iunno, if there's anything I've picked up, its 'make friends with the vendors and see what deal the company is willing to cut you', and it never hurts to ask nicely to try stuff out and see what features you need.

Whats the difference between tiers, anyway?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Yooper posted:

Well if you don't spend that budget they'll give us less next year... In fact spend more than you need, then they'll think we need more.

Realistically as awesome as some of that stuff is, I'm not sure how much I'd use. The enhanced comms stuff is pretty neat, it's something I'd like to use more without it being frustrating from a narrative point. Having AirGoons actually fly a mission in CMO would be pretty awesome. The Monte Carlo stuff is neato, but beyond judging how well a mission would do statistically... The DB editor is extra cool, designing wacky boats and planes and making them fight would be awesome but it shall remain a dream. I've heard the DB horror stories from the Harpoon days so I'd prefer the organization. Though a basic editor that syncs to steam so if someone downloads your wacky scenario can get your TU-F-16-45 prototype without having to get some crazy obscure DB package.

Yeah, I don't think theres much of a use case in your particular situation. The PE doesn't go through Steam, so the equivalent of workshop isn't even a feature and I dont think the flight sim integration is multiplayer, but I could be wrong. And right now with the steam version, you can already integrate visualization with Tacview. Monte Carlo usage is dubious. It sounds like a researcher could use it to model real world interactions, but I wouldn't trust the scientific validity of those models unless you had good data and I dont think sufficient data will happen unless the balloon goes up, so all you really model is what happens in this video game. You have even less use for that.

TheParadigm posted:

Iunno, if there's anything I've picked up, its 'make friends with the vendors and see what deal the company is willing to cut you', and it never hurts to ask nicely to try stuff out and see what features you need.

Whats the difference between tiers, anyway?

This is something I didnt feel comfortable trying when I was looking into it, but the vendors were very professional and courteous. I got good vibes but I'm not really in a senior enough position to spend that money and if you're in a government position, there are ethics regs about taking deals from industry anyway. Speaking of which, these opinions are my own and not those of the US Gov or any of its deparments.

Re differences: theres a chart at the bottom of this page:
https://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=3822

piL fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 22, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Whack-a-mole

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

Having AirGoons actually fly a mission in CMO would be pretty awesome.

Thinking about it though, I assume this must be limited to the paltry set of units DCS is aware of because how the hell would DCS model movement or damage mechanics on, say, those drones we have which simply don't exist in that engine at all? You could just insert a generic "missing airplane" mesh (or borrow one from TacView somehow, why not make this even more insane) and let CMO handle the aerodynamics but that'd probably just lead to a lot of pilots pissed off that their targets are doing impossible things. That's not even getting into the maps because I doubt CMO PE includes maps for the 99% of the world Eagle won't yet sell you. And at that point why not just set it up as a side mission in DCS to start with?

But I will keep dreaming just because if I ignore all that it sounds really cool and that's what matters, damnit.

Besides, all I really want from CMO is for them to unify the modern and cold war databases. Let me fight Montanas with FB-22s, Matrix :argh:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

Thinking about it though, I assume this must be limited to the paltry set of units DCS is aware of because how the hell would DCS model movement or damage mechanics on, say, those drones we have which simply don't exist in that engine at all? You could just insert a generic "missing airplane" mesh (or borrow one from TacView somehow, why not make this even more insane) and let CMO handle the aerodynamics but that'd probably just lead to a lot of pilots pissed off that their targets are doing impossible things. That's not even getting into the maps because I doubt CMO PE includes maps for the 99% of the world Eagle won't yet sell you. And at that point why not just set it up as a side mission in DCS to start with?

But I will keep dreaming just because if I ignore all that it sounds really cool and that's what matters, damnit.

Besides, all I really want from CMO is for them to unify the modern and cold war databases. Let me fight Montanas with FB-22s, Matrix :argh:

A DB going all the way back to the first world war would be the wet dream of a lot of goons in this thread.

Whack-a-Mole: Pretty much the op I'd have proposed with Zebba's 11 off the table. Also, it's the only op that remembered to account for our fricken laser. I'm assuming TheDemon accounted for radar coverage when deploying the laser to the mine, however...

TheDemon aren't you worried about ARM's coming for our radar? Is there a reason we aren't deploying the laser closer to the radar, since the laser is capable of missile interception? (At least, I think it is from the db entry)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Our laser isn't that great at missile interception, being SHORAD and having a limited rate of fire. In my testing it's less capable than a modern A2A gun at defending something in its umbrella. I feel if the OpFor wanted to ARM our radar then there's nothing we can do to stop it, other than a very strong CAP in the 80-100nm range. With that in mind I'm using the laser as what we bought it for, a god drat meme, so I'm deliberately putting it in places where it's likely to be fired.

e: Actually, I considered deploying the radar to the mine site also but the problem is if the OpFor is using Anti-Surface Warfare missions (very likely) then there's a good chance our radar could end up as collateral, even if it was covered by the laser.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 22, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

When was the last time our air defense got to do, well, anything? Was it when we had I-HAWKS?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Whack-a-mole

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Whack-A-Mole is a go. We'll be sending Zebba out with his caravan of caravans to scope out some of the airbases. They are rather excited to roam through that part. The laser will be pre-position at the highest value target we have.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

When was the last time our air defense got to do, well, anything? Was it when we had I-HAWKS?

The air raid on Gjader.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Working on the mission! Might get it done tomorrow, if so we'll aim for a Sunday night run. If that doesn't happen then we'll aim for another evening.

We've got an interesting opportunity with the Liquid Asset. It seems General Azazi is running a little slush fund and doing offshore refining. Each of those light blue dots is a mobile processing plant. By keeping it offshore it's not technically "Nigerian" so he can manipulate the market and add a little extra to ORMEC.

The Nigerian Navy is still re-activating but will be patrolling in a fairly passive way. No one expects a fight. Yet.

So we have an opportunity to get in, drop an offshore mineral refinery, and get out. Word from corporate is not to hit anything carrying oil. Period. They don't want the bad press. But our client will pay a nice bonus if we can offline some mineral refineries. We must 100% visually identify the target. There's still a lot of oil traffic here.

So, do we go in, or save the Liquid Asset for another op?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

When given the option to use the sub, the answer is always yes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the question is "torpedo?"
the answer is always YES

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Hell yes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yes, hit 'em now before they can get their asses into gear. And forcing the Nigerians to spend resources on keeping their navy on active ASW patrols works better the earlier we do it, every dollar they spend operating the destroyers is a dollar they can't spend hiring more mercs or whatever.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yooper posted:

The Nigerian Navy is still re-activating but will be patrolling in a fairly passive way. No one expects a fight. Yet.

So we have an opportunity to get in, drop an offshore mineral refinery, and get out. Word from corporate is not to hit anything carrying oil. Period. They don't want the bad press. But our client will pay a nice bonus if we can offline some mineral refineries. We must 100% visually identify the target. There's still a lot of oil traffic here.

I'm going to go ahead and say no. This amounts to another faction checking if we still have our unregistered sub, and our own auditors if we are unlucky.

Payoff isn't worth it imho and would just raise panic in the theatre, and if that's our intended goal, we don't need to expose a sub to do it.

Heck of a comeback though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

WhackAMole is complete! I'm editing the video now and will get the first version up shortly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m56vYiWskHk

(Will need a few hours to be processed at higher quality)

I mis-clicked "Launch Individually" instead of "Launch as Group" so one of the SU-24's went barreling ahead of everyone else and kind of alerted the hostiles... But it worked out in the end. Luckily we have insurance.

Instead of posting pictures of a burning factory we instead get to post pictures of a pile of burning MI-24's.

The mine site was untouched. The railroad bridge is knocked out and most importantly we've knocked out a bunch of hostiles. On the downside we matched them Eagle for Gripen but got a couple of Fulcrums out of the deal. Those Gripens showed up with a dozen Meteors and put them to good use. I kind of forgot how good of a missile that thing is. Our inbound hangar strike was intercepted and that flight of SU-24's saw some heavy losses. The HAMMER strike package though was thoroughly whooped. It seems they are having as many issues with upgrading infrastructure as we are.

Our employer has already committed to upgrading runways and adding revetments. They'll coordinate with us for needed upgrades.

The Chinese JY-11B radar was unexpected and it seems we hit a batch of bad luck. Our ELINT hadn't picked it up the day before, but we are not exactly working in a liquid tight security situation so word could have leaked.

Zebba! and his crew all made it out fine and are having a nice BBQ. Or as nice as you can when it's so damned hot that the miserable AC in the OPS trailer can barely keep it cool...

Speaking of cool, we'll be keeping it cool for a bit while we wait for the insurance planes to arrive. Once they're here then we'll go into the next ops.

Those old pieces of poo poo that popped up out of Maiduguri are from a joint Polish-Ukrainian group. Here's an S2 piece from our own Peanut (Jimmy4400Nav) describing the operation.

quote:

Люди похилого віку , Starcy more commonly known as The Old Men is a Polish-Ukrainian Mercenary unit specializing in electronic warfare and providing miscellaneous services to their customers.

In 2019 several border incidents between Poland and the Ukraine saw the elections of jingoistic governments who promised immediate responses. The resulting air war devastated the aviation forces for both nations and heavily damaged border infrastructure. As later revealed in a mass hack, the incident had been caused by Russian provocateurs and mercenaries and the flames of rage fanned by Russian hackers. The resulting protests and angers saw the collapse of both Polish and Ukrainian governments in the flames of mass civil unrest. In the chaos, a number of retired soldiers from the former Polish-Ukrainian Peace Force Brigade met up with their old comrades and after a few drinks, hatched a daring plan. Sneaking into a number of aviation museums, lightly guarded airfields and old warehouses, the former soldiers made off with a number of aircraft and formed their own mercenary unit.

Despite the unconventional nature of the unit, the gumption of its personnel has allowed them to achieve a surprising amount of success despite the older nature of their aircraft. Their small bomber force in particular has stood out as a major factor for their successful operations, as well as the cobbled together nature of their EWAR/ELINT assets working to achieve some battlefield control. Flush with Chilean pesos following operations in the Atacama Desert, the unit was able to purchase a few surplus Fulcrums and other ATA assets to supplement their diverse fleet even further. Apart from a die-hard refusal to work with Russia or any Russian company, the unit is willing to take almost any contract, their goal is to acquire more funds to purchase more surplus bombers.

Which, in a nut shell, means we're facing more variety and more varied opponents. The tap of contracts is likely to flow and it'll only get more interesting.

Edit : Also, whichever Goon recommended me Krisp... thanks! It worked great. You can't hear any of the background noise, PC noise, or 3d printer humming 10 feet away. Really impressive stuff.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

aw jeez, that was brutal! looks like we both sealclubbed each others strike.
E: oh my god that cannon run on the gripen :allears:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 26, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was really messy, especially the gun runs against the Hinds. I'd expect nothing less from the Slammers.

Oh well, back to the end of the flight line for me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I did not imagine losing so many air superiority fighters in dogfights with helicopters.

Also too bad the east Fencers didn't fly away like they were supposed to but all in all we had enough assets to finish a heavy attrition mission.
In a mission like this were we don't anticipate a need for the ground strike assets I don't mind reserving ARMs in case of popup radars or AA. Something to keep in mind in the future.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 27, 2020

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Brutal losses for us, but we hit them harder than we got hit and blew up a bridge to boot!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The SuperHinds shooting down attacking jets was glorious and beautiful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Roeben deciding to go for the lazy gun kill on a landing Gripen and generally loving around backfield was funny, but was quickly upstaged by what are apparently air superiority Hinds. I don't think those egos will ever recover.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To misquote Beatty, "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody missiles today!"

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

Roeben deciding to go for the lazy gun kill on a landing Gripen and generally loving around backfield was funny, but was quickly upstaged by what are apparently air superiority Hinds. I don't think those egos will ever recover.

IIRC the USAF did some tests and found out the helicopters are unexpectedly effective vs jets due to their relative agility, and on top of that more modern helicopters' fire control systems were able to plot "jet will be here" and the gunner just has to fire a half-second burst at the right time to cause serious damage. I think the recommendation was to just avoid trying to go for short range kills on helicopters if you can because the odds are very much not in your favor. Hell just try doing it in DCS vs. an AI helicopter and you're probably in for a rude surprise. If you do it low and level enough it might even just decide to throw an ATGM at you instead which is extra funny.

Don't underestimate helicopters in a knife fight.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This was the J-CATCH exercises in the late 70s. Helicopters demonstrated a 5-1 kill rate in gun duels with F-4 and F-15 aircraft.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The answer to jcatch was to ask if aim-9s still locked on to helicopters, which they did, and then to ask why the pilots were going in with guns on what is essentially a flying AA emplacement instead of bvr killing it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well, it was a bit less after they adapted their tactics:

quote:

The official report details how the F-15 was able to lock on to the helicopters around 64 km. However it did not get visual ID till 6-9 km. (Beyond-visual range combat wasn't practiced at this typical exercise.) When AIM-7 Sparrows were employed for the F-15, it stacked a 2.9-1 kill ratio on the helicopters. F-4s with 20 mm cannons were less fortunate, stacking up a 0.7-1 kill ratio. The A-10 did slightly better with its 30 mm gun stacking up a 1.3-1 kill ratio.

Due to their maneuverability, helicopters are very dangerous opponents when matched against fixed winged aircraft. To this day, the basic lesson is that fighters should stay away from helicopters, and only attack from high altitudes or at long ranges (beyond visual range with missiles) and only if the situation presents itself.

But yeah, welp.

E;FB.

wiegieman posted:

The answer to jcatch was to ask if aim-9s still locked on to helicopters, which they did, and then to ask why the pilots were going in with guns on what is essentially a flying AA emplacement instead of bvr killing it.

Basically.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Hunh. I didn't know that, I thought fighters would generally sealclub helos unconditionally. I wonder what's stopping them from putting BVR missiles on helos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Keep in mind J-CATCH wasn't testing missile combat at first and of course that means gunfights as that was the entire point of that phase of the exercise.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Hunh. I didn't know that, I thought fighters would generally sealclub helos unconditionally. I wonder what's stopping them from putting BVR missiles on helos?
Energy dynamics, altitude, and existing instrumentation favor fighters in BVR, whereas maneuverability and much lower heat signature favor helicopters in WVR, as I understand it.

Funny enough when you Google this a third of the results are War Thunder players complaining that A2A missiles on the helicopters make it too easy to shoot down attacking aircraft.