Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KillHour posted:

What I'd really like to see is a learning mode - drive to a specific point on the track and hit a button to mark the start of a sector; hit the button again to mark the end the sector. The game then lets you drive that section over and over, starting with whatever speed and trajectory you had the first time.

A virtual tutor giving you advice over the radio would be great, but probably really hard to implement.

Go ahead and post that in the suggestions forum and wait for the nerds to scream at you to go back to Forza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The funny thing is they're clearly capable of it - it's how they have Nordschleife set up.

Decided to jump into an Indy Fixed race after gooncar. Bad plan. Had no problem keeping the car clean in practice but holy gently caress the race was a mess.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nobody - nobody! - needs to pare back track learning to just one corner over and over. If you think you do you're probably just suffering a lack of confidence. Drive the track, repeat laps, don't expect to be perfect, do expect to slowly get faster as you go. If it feels like you're getting worse, take a break and drive somewhere else a while, you probably just got overconfident or frustrated and started pushing too hard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spa is a long fuckin track and I always eat it on one specific fast corner so I'd really just like to practice that corner until I have it down. Of course nobody NEEDS to do that, but it's a lot faster that way and that's kind of the point of a sim.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Moved info to top of OP to make it easier to find.

Also that was 17 cars for Gooncar, approaching the peak of last summer. Let's see if we can break 20 car fields for the first time ever in the next few weeks.

I really need to try to figure out some compromise to be able to race with my foot the way it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GTR2 had a great driving school mode where they broke the track up into sections so you'd learn small groups of corners before it asked you to string them all together in a complete lap and it surprises me that no-one's ever tried to copy that beyond the literal thing iRacing did to make the Nords less infuriating to learn.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

KillHour posted:

What I'd really like to see is a learning mode - drive to a specific point on the track and hit a button to mark the start of a sector; hit the button again to mark the end the sector. The game then lets you drive that section over and over, starting with whatever speed and trajectory you had the first time.

A virtual tutor giving you advice over the radio would be great, but probably really hard to implement.

The best I've found is that if you search iRacing + [car] and [track] on YouTube there are a lot of tutorials from really good drivers. There's also virtualracingschool.com - which even has a guy in the MX5 at Laguna Seca doing a corner-by-corner explanation with telemetry data, which is nice because that's what the MX5 Cup was on the week I started.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Go ahead and post that in the suggestions forum and wait for the nerds to scream at you to go back to Forza.

You called it.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Vando posted:

Nobody - nobody! - needs to pare back track learning to just one corner over and over. If you think you do you're probably just suffering a lack of confidence. Drive the track, repeat laps, don't expect to be perfect, do expect to slowly get faster as you go. If it feels like you're getting worse, take a break and drive somewhere else a while, you probably just got overconfident or frustrated and started pushing too hard.

Gonna disagree with you there that no one can benefit. Once you have a consistent lap time spread small enough (in my example 0.5s in a ~2m lap), repeating a corner over and over can be a shortcut for further improvements. If you're happy with the rest of the lap and can reel off the same line and lap time each lap then you're just marking time 'till you get back round to the same corner. I will grant in iRacing such a thing would be hard to implement given their new tire model.

See this sequence of my laps from a recent race (488 GTE at Spa) driving at just shy of 10/10ths. The times are very close and when I dive further down into the data I've got 2/3rds of the lap nailed, nearly all of the time lost is occuring between Les Combes and Pouhon. I can and have improved by simply doing more laps, but I feel I would definitely improve faster if I could reset back to the Kemmel straight and perfect that single sector.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

KillHour posted:

You called it.

So true! There was a great qualy time-saving shortcut at the 'ring when it first came out. You could go straight at the end of the gp circuit and sneak onto the end of Tiergarten by driving backwards on the circuit a tiny bit, then reset and it plonks you at the start of the final sector, ready to begin your flying lap. Unfortunately most of that sector reset functionality got unwound :(.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I just want an option to not reset tire temp when I inevitably eat poo poo

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Here's a good way to learn a track, takes a while, but it's methodical and helps you fond the little things better than just doing laps. Nothing is a substitute for practice, but this is just a good way to practice smarter when starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWiLP-0Jebw

e: it kinda comes from the mindset of treating the car like it was real and trying not to crash, at least at first when you're building the speed. It takes patience, but less so than simply going out, hucking the car around like it's the pile of bits that it is and bouncing it off of all the barriers while only ingraining mistakes.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 27, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

KillHour posted:

I had this exact same thought. It's really frustrating when there's just one corner you keep loving up and you only get one chance every two minutes to practice it.

Speaking of practicing in a productive manner, I got really good at the video game Mordhau mostly by slowing down the game speed, learning the moves, and cranking the time acceleration up until I could do the combos in real time. I suspect a similar method would work in iRacing, is it possible to gently caress around with the time acceleration in solo sessions? I'm guessing probably not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some of the Sheep posted:

So true! There was a great qualy time-saving shortcut at the 'ring when it first came out. You could go straight at the end of the gp circuit and sneak onto the end of Tiergarten by driving backwards on the circuit a tiny bit, then reset and it plonks you at the start of the final sector, ready to begin your flying lap. Unfortunately most of that sector reset functionality got unwound :(.

This is hilarious because there is a legit shortcut built into the full circuit for qualifying in real life where you just take a temporary chicane in the GP final turn to get back onto the main straight and I think the only game that has that shortcut in its version is the Raceroom one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ring qual starts you at the TF entrance now so you don't need to do an outlap anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Here's a good way to learn a track, takes a while, but it's methodical and helps you fond the little things better than just doing laps. Nothing is a substitute for practice, but this is just a good way to practice smarter when starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWiLP-0Jebw

e: it kinda comes from the mindset of treating the car like it was real and trying not to crash, at least at first when you're building the speed. It takes patience, but less so than simply going out, hucking the car around like it's the pile of bits that it is and bouncing it off of all the barriers while only ingraining mistakes.

Is this not how everyone learns new tracks?

Just take it slow, like 50% race pace and float through the corners until you start to recognize them and can formulate a good line

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Ring qual starts you at the TF entrance now so you don't need to do an outlap anyway.

You'll have cold tires on the first sector though, which sucks. That's actually what sucks about how they do single sectors on the ring in general - if I want to practice the carousel, I can choose between waiting 5 minutes in between attempts and doing it with cold tires.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Never realised there was an iracing thread, just applied for the league. Look forward to collecting some more 4x with some fellow goons.

What is lag like? I’m in Australia and assume most people in gooncar are US-based. Is it so bad it’s not worth trying or is it typically ok? My internet connection is decent but the other side of the world is the other side of the world....

I’ve been practicing brands hatch with AI the last couple of days for the upcoming skip series. It’s a fun course for the skippy. Hoping I can finish a few clean races and get my rating up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My wheel should be here tomorrow. Finally.

Goons beware.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

My wheel should be here tomorrow. Finally.

Goons beware.

What did you end up with?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fanatec CSL, but without the load cell pedal for now. They popped up in-stock while I was a little drunk, and things happened...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Granite Octopus posted:

Never realised there was an iracing thread, just applied for the league. Look forward to collecting some more 4x with some fellow goons.

What is lag like? I’m in Australia and assume most people in gooncar are US-based. Is it so bad it’s not worth trying or is it typically ok? My internet connection is decent but the other side of the world is the other side of the world....

I’ve been practicing brands hatch with AI the last couple of days for the upcoming skip series. It’s a fun course for the skippy. Hoping I can finish a few clean races and get my rating up.

My knowledge of Aussie > US ping is that it's generally pretty decent, decent enough for the few nightmare US people who run the SOF Aussie Supercars races.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Granite Octopus posted:

There seems to be 1 or 2 Aussies in every offical race that I enter, and despite a ~250ish ping they seem ok.

Except for the the one time a guy passed me, disappeared, then I saw him flying into the wall at the end of the back straight. :shrug:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Granite Octopus posted:

Road is generally fine, you just have to be a touch careful around Euros as wtf ping collisions can occur if racing too closely.

Oval can be a bit tricky, but again it's generally ok as long as Euros are given a wide berth.

They also have servers located in Sydney, so if the series is popular enough there will be Aus splits during peak time.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Do you guys run different FOV based on the car? I started experimenting today in practice with lower number FOV settings. I’ve been running at 75, which gives me a view out the left side a little. Dropped it to 45 which is drastically more forward but it’s a much slower racing feeling if that makes sense.

With the SK Modifieds running at 45 felt much slower visually but I was able to pick up corner entry better at Richmond. Jumped to the Legends at Charlotte and I was terrible Nd couldn’t judge anything.

I’m running a single screen on a laptop but curious how you guys approach this.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think my first actual race ever I got a 4x cause I drove inside lagging car that kept disappearing or whatever was going on, the game kicked him out 2 minutes later.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Douchebag posted:

Do you guys run different FOV based on the car? I started experimenting today in practice with lower number FOV settings. I’ve been running at 75, which gives me a view out the left side a little. Dropped it to 45 which is drastically more forward but it’s a much slower racing feeling if that makes sense.

With the SK Modifieds running at 45 felt much slower visually but I was able to pick up corner entry better at Richmond. Jumped to the Legends at Charlotte and I was terrible Nd couldn’t judge anything.

I’m running a single screen on a laptop but curious how you guys approach this.

I think the general consensus when it comes to FOV is to calculate what's accurate for your setup and stick to it. Having a realistic FOV is better because your brain can naturally follow what's happening better. My FOV is something like 42 but I have a 47" tv right behind my wheel.

Use something like this to calculate what you should be running it at

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For FOV I try to be close to the "realistic" number, and running a 21:9 widescreen helps that - but if you literally can't see poo poo then the realistic FOV isn't helping anything. It's a starting point.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Banzai 3 posted:

Nice to see more new names for GoonCar. I’d recommend joining the Discord and associated Mumble, and if you ever have a black flag, either ask on voice or in text chat to have it cleared (just include your car number).

So you guys use Mumble to voice chat during the sessions? I guess that would explain why it is so quiet while it is going on. Any reason you guys prefer that over just talking over the iRacing program?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

Any reason you guys prefer that over just talking over the iRacing program?

or Discord, like normal people in tyool 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ingame voice isn't super good quality, and Discord doesn't support multiple USB input devices.

e: come to think of it voice quality on Discord has also gone to poo poo lately for some reason

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Sorry I don't do a lot of gaming on PC so I don't know my way around all the services and what's good/bad whatever. As far as I know my mic works via iRacing as people have responded to me but who knows what it sounds like. When I was configuring mumble I had to play around with a bunch of settings because it sounded like I was literally underwater but I think I fixed it. Either that or I have made myself completely inaudible. We'll find out during the truck race next weekend I guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

loving lmao mumble

discord works absolutely great for my people using everything from plantronics microphones to my sm7b. couldn't be easier and is across the board awesome.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I think the general consensus when it comes to FOV is to calculate what's accurate for your setup and stick to it. Having a realistic FOV is better because your brain can naturally follow what's happening better. My FOV is something like 42 but I have a 47" tv right behind my wheel.

Use something like this to calculate what you should be running it at

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

Holy poo poo this helped me so much. I see a little less on my ultrawide but it "feels" more like real life and it shaved some time off my lap times. Now to see if it helps or hurts in a race...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sellouts posted:

loving lmao mumble

discord works absolutely great for my people using everything from plantronics microphones to my sm7b. couldn't be easier and is across the board awesome.

Yeah cool but what about when it thinks your shifter and your button box are the same device and now every shift is PTT?

I'm not making up bugs for a laugh here.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
So I'm getting back into iRacing after a few months off, and now every time I get an incident point, there's a little "DQ" at the end of the line. Yesterday I went off track and didn't touch anyone and still finished in first, but I'm worried the "1x DQ" undid my work. Any explanation?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vando posted:

Ingame voice isn't super good quality, and Discord doesn't support multiple USB input devices.

e: come to think of it voice quality on Discord has also gone to poo poo lately for some reason

I think maybe there are so many servers that they can't handle having decent quality anymore. It's really annoying when it gets so lovely that my friends keep getting robo voice or just cut out in the middle of a sentence. Discord has become garbage quality as of late.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

GOD IS BED posted:

So I'm getting back into iRacing after a few months off, and now every time I get an incident point, there's a little "DQ" at the end of the line. Yesterday I went off track and didn't touch anyone and still finished in first, but I'm worried the "1x DQ" undid my work. Any explanation?

17 incidents in a race session gets you a DQ. The more incidents you rack up the lower your safety rating for that race will be. Goal is zero incidents per race naturally, that usually Nets an increase in your SR.

You can however have a few incidents and race well and actually increase your SR.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It also varies from series to series what the incidents do. In IMPC, it's 17x for a stop and go, and then 25x for DQ, which is nice because with the new damage model, you can lean on each other quite a bit in the Caymans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It also varies from series to series what the incidents do. In IMPC, it's 17x for a stop and go, and then 25x for DQ, which is nice because with the new damage model, you can lean on each other quite a bit in the Caymans.

I also believe, correct me if I’m wrong, that it’s based on corners per incident? So like Legends at Charlotte on the Legends oval sucks because it’s 2 turns.