Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LLSix posted:

Steam page doesn't list VR support?

There used to be a VR mode and I think people have hacked it back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I wish someone could CG his ears and remove the loads of rings he puts in. They look gross.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TadBradley posted:

I just finished Time Stall on Quest.

Every level is a Rube-Goldberg-esque disaster that you have to fix within 2 minute window of frozen time, like the Time in a Bottle scene in Days of Future Past, or Fry in the 300 Big Boys episode of Futurama (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjs2vPR19mQ)

I haven't seen it get any love in the thread, but I thought it was great! Super short, though; definitely not the best bang for your buck at full price. Can anyone recommend a puzzle game on Quest that's similar?

I assume you've played superhot already?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

LLSix posted:

Steam page doesn't list VR support?

Cojawfee posted:

There used to be a VR mode and I think people have hacked it back in.

MotherVR: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

Apparently it still works and people are using in with Index and other hmd too

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on their roadmap, you can’t aim with the controller? Which I assume means you aim with your head? If so, I’ll wait.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Based on their roadmap, you can’t aim with the controller? Which I assume means you aim with your head? If so, I’ll wait.

I mean, its $2...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, I’d just wait to play it. Personally, I mean. Not trying to convince someone to not mess with it. Actual I, not “if I were you” I.

But I say this as someone who has wussed out on flat A:I multiple times anyhow.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah it's pretty boner killer for me too... it's look-to-turn and uses controllers as gamepad so I'm still waiting for a real Alien vr game and in the meantime already don't have enough time to play most of my library so

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah you can nitpick it, until you get face to face with the alien and you remember why you’re playing it

It’s a mod for a game, it won’t be perfect

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I had AI before I even had vr and couldn't get into it even then because of the control scheme despite my love for the franchise and the brilliance of the game itself but vr exacerbates that x10 so it remains safely in my Steamshame pile.

What's that Japanese word for books you own but don't read and is there a version of it for games yet

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As part of quarantine, I totally remodeled a room in my basement. For the foreseeable future, I’m gonna have a completely open space about 14’x20’, and I want to use that for my index, or as much of it as I can reach being tethered, anyhow.

But to do that, I need to move my PC, and I refuse to move my actual workspace/desk. That’s fine, my PC has been in the crawl space under the stairs on the other side of the wall for ages, I just need to move it to the other side of that crawl space and have the index wiring harness poke through there, and the PC wires (USB & DisplayPort) through the space to where my desk is. I want the PC to sit closer to the VR side so I’m not sacrificing a bunch of length there, but that means my desk is just a liiiiiiittle too far to be within the 10’ reach of standard DisplayPort.

That’s a lot of words to say: are active DisplayPort cables bullshit that I will regret? I don’t want to sacrifice latency or resolution or frame rate or whatever else. This would be to go from PC to monitor, NOT trying to extend the index wires.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Active cables that actually work are insanely expensive (like $150 or some poo poo) from what I've seen so far but you can passively extend Index like 6ft is that makes a difference to your thinking. I use a CableMatters dp extension and also poke my wire through a wall to keep from wasting precious length but my space is much smaller

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Supposedly the latest Quest update has drivers for a new version of the Touch controllers, which I'd assume would go with a new version of the Quest. It probably isn't going to be before the Christmas period though.
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-jedi-controller-driver-found/

New controllers don't necessarily mean new headset at the same time. If they're actually built to some measure of standardization this time, they might be compatible with the current Rift S and Quest.

Turin Turambar posted:

It all depends if they are going to do an improved version, a Quest S / 2.0, or they are going to do a proper Quest 2. If the former, expect it this year, if the latter, it could be Christmas 2021.

I'd honestly expect to see a 90Hz model that just eliminates the Rift S' need to exist at the very least.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thoatse posted:

Active cables that actually work are insanely expensive (like $150 or some poo poo) from what I've seen so far but you can passively extend Index like 6ft is that makes a difference to your thinking. I use a CableMatters dp extension and also poke my wire through a wall to keep from wasting precious length but my space is much smaller

I really don't need a LOT more, like roughly measuring I'm guessing 13' would suffice, not allowing for bends and such, so 15' would be plenty. I ran across this: https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-1069-DisplayPort-Cable-Certified/dp/B07HCZCVF8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

It claims to support more throughput than I need for my display at max refresh: 3440x1440@120hz, so ~14Gbit/s plus overhead so like 17Gbit/s total? The cable claims to be able to carry a full 7680x4320@60hz, which is 50Gbit/s, but that is assumedly counting on DP1.4. My monitor (and probably video card) are 1.2, but I think HBR3 was introduced with DP1.2, which means that protocol would be topping out at 26Gbit/s? So it may come down to the quality of the specific instance of that cable I end up with. :|

I'd just try it for shits 'n giggles but it's like $50 for the cable. I guess if it doesn't work, I can send it back, although I'm not sure how to reliably determine if my monitor is running at full speed or being hampered by the link.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 27, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The cable I got for Link seems to have taken a huge poo poo, anyone got a recommendation for a reliable replacement?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone ever managed to orient their playspace so that up is no longer up? Not just for movies but for games? So, say, one could lie down on their bed and have their feet be 'down'? I feel like something like echo arena would be extremely trippy like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

The cable I got for Link seems to have taken a huge poo poo, anyone got a recommendation for a reliable replacement?

I have an Aukey one, but you know, I haven't used it for enough months to know if it's more or less reliable than others.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd honestly expect to see a 90Hz model that just eliminates the Rift S' need to exist at the very least.

Also, if they could get a RGB-stripe oled of the same resolution, they could have a new revision with nicer visuals without compromising the performance.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just went from a first gen Rift to an Index. I got pretty good at setting up the rift cameras for room scale but I have no idea of the dos and don'ts of lighthouse-based systems. For example, I had no idea they were wireless until I couldn't find cables in the box. I have a fairly large play area, free of obstructions but when I set up the lighthouses like made sense to me I got terrible tracking issues. Does anyone have a link to a really good roomscale setup guide for two lighthouses?

What I really miss is the way the Rift software would show you an overhead view of your play area with the cones of perception for the cameras and where they did and didn't overlap. Is there some way to visualize lighthouse coverage similarly?

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 27, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gangringo posted:

I just went from a first gen Rift to an Index. I got pretty good at setting up the rift cameras for room scale but I have no idea of the dos and don'ts of lighthouse-based systems. For example, I had no idea they were wireless until I couldn't find cables in the box. I have a fairly large play area, free of obstructions but when I set up the lighthouses like made sense to me I got terrible tracking issues. Does anyone have a link to a really good roomscale setup guide for two lighthouses?

What I really miss is the way the Rift software would show you an overhead view of your play area with the cones of perception for the cameras and where they did and didn't overlap. Is there some way to visualize lighthouse coverage similarly?

Ideally you want them on opposite corners of your playspace, facing eachother, elevated and angled downwards to cover as much of the playspace as possible. On a flat surface facing will work in a pinch, just so long as they have line-of-sight with the other Lighthouse.

edit: Lighthouses can't visualize their playspace because they're "dumb" boxes that just spit out infra-red light, they can't see it themselves. Your controllers and HMD are what perceive the light they emit and calculate their own location within the playspace.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:Boneworks multiplayer is a mod now:siren:

https://youtu.be/uzWfgzYEeAQ

Very early and rough, but there’s potential there

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS reviews the Rift S??
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/27/oculus-rift-s-review/

Better late than never, I guess.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Gangringo posted:

This was available in older versions of SteamVR as a feature called "Room Overview" in the developer settings, but it seems with the new UI update this is not available anymore unfortunately. Maybe it will come back at some point.

Lighthouses cover a surprisingly wide angle, not quite but nearly 180° horizontally. Probably a bit less vertically, but not sure how much. Tracking issues are almost always caused by reflective surfaces in your play area, e.g. windows, picture frames, etc. Unless you have a camera with IR mode there's unfortunately not really a good way to "debug" this issue other than by trial and error, though.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 27, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any ideas why a Vive's tracking might freak out? My nephew has one and claims it's getting floaty occasionally, but it'd work with with just one base station instead of two. I tried it several times over a few weeks and couldn't reproduce. Until today. When it happens, it's like the frame of reference does a hoola-hoop, giving the impression of weaving around drunk. Any clue as to what that could be? A base station failing and desyncing? Any way to log/trace these events?

--edit: In relation to below, I removed anything reflective and it still happens.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 27, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

SirViver posted:

Tracking issues are almost always caused by reflective surfaces in your play area, e.g. windows, picture frames, etc. Unless you have a camera with IR mode there's unfortunately not really a good way to "debug" this issue other than by trial and error, though.

This makes a lot of sense, we have a big mirror in the living room. I'll try draping a cloth over it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Do you have one base station or two? One is insufficient.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Thoatse posted:

Yeah it's pretty boner killer for me too... it's look-to-turn and uses controllers as gamepad so I'm still waiting for a real Alien vr game and in the meantime already don't have enough time to play most of my library so
I'm not sure if either of you have played the game flat screen, but it's not really as big of a deal as you might think. Shooting is not really a significant part of the game

Also keep in mind that this hack isn't adding VR support from the ground up, it's tapping in to the work that was already done by the game's developers to support DK2 that never got officially released, and just patching that up to work with modern VR APIs plus some quality of life tweaks to make the experience work better.

Not saying it's impossible, but adding fully tracked controller support and some kind of modern locomotion is a lot more involved than shimming some APIs and tweaking some settings. Also the author of the A:I mod never bothered to open source it like he said he would and is currently distracted with a VR mod for Halo so I'm not sure I'd expect any further progress. The last released update was in 2018, he teased further updates in October but nothing since then.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just put in an order for knuckles to replace my Vive wands and I'm real excited to get them. Does Valve still give refunds for HL Alyx if you buy it and then later buy Index hardware? I bought it at release but decided to hold off on playing it until I had the knuckles.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Budget Cuts 2 has a 45% off sale, in both Steam and Oculus store, and they released a new update, with performance improvements and some new options:

New Mutators!

Mutator: Smooth turning (replaces snap-turning when enabled)
Mutator: Unarmed Supervisors
Mutator: Fragile knives and arrows
Mutator: Translocator launch force
Mutator: Stealth Translocator (brings back stealth translocations from BC1)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Budget Cuts 2 has a 45% off sale, in both Steam and Oculus store, and they released a new update, with performance improvements and some new options:

New Mutators!

Mutator: Smooth turning (replaces snap-turning when enabled)
Mutator: Unarmed Supervisors
Mutator: Fragile knives and arrows
Mutator: Translocator launch force
Mutator: Stealth Translocator (brings back stealth translocations from BC1)

If you already own Budget Cuts 1, the "Budget Cuts Complete Set" is only $14.84 which is another ~$2 off just buying the singular title "Budget Cuts 2"

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any ideas why a Vive's tracking might freak out? My nephew has one and claims it's getting floaty occasionally, but it'd work with with just one base station instead of two. I tried it several times over a few weeks and couldn't reproduce. Until today. When it happens, it's like the frame of reference does a hoola-hoop, giving the impression of weaving around drunk. Any clue as to what that could be? A base station failing and desyncing? Any way to log/trace these events?

--edit: In relation to below, I removed anything reflective and it still happens.

I had intermittent tracking issues and grey outs with my vive for year, before I worked out that it only happened when the washing machine was running. I assume something to do with being an old house with dodgy wiring, but I think it shows that lighthouses can be sensitive as gently caress.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 28, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shoefish posted:

I had intermittent tracking issues and grey outs with my vive for year, before I worked out that it only happened when the washing machine was running. I assume something to do with being an old house with dodgy wiring, but I think it shows that lighthouses can be sensitive as gently caress.
It might also be the vibration from the washing machine? Was it anywhere near the wall the sensors were on?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought it might be vibrations, with what a rickety house with drywalls, but it also happened at least once while standing still and not waving and jumping around. I guess I'll look into electricals.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So it looks like Dead & Buried 2 has gotten a Horde Mode? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcYwCrxMOA
If so I might consider picking it up, the first one's horde maps were a lot of fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is anyone here interested in making a Beat Sabre map for a tune of mine?
I have tried but I suck

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/590510/SoundSelf_A_Technodelic/

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

ShadowHawk posted:

It might also be the vibration from the washing machine? Was it anywhere near the wall the sensors were on?

Nah, laundry is built out onto the back of the house, VR room is it the front as far away as it can be.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anybody have opinions on powered USB hubs? All my problems with VR seem to stem from lack of power so I guess it's time to grab one, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for besides "USBs with an A/C plug".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pierson posted:

Does anybody have opinions on powered USB hubs? All my problems with VR seem to stem from lack of power so I guess it's time to grab one, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for besides "USBs with an A/C plug".

I'd get a branded one for peace of mind, there's a lot of shite out there, make sure it is USB3 and also be aware that a lot of powered hubs are made with a USB Type-C connector these days for laptop use mainly and you desktop may not have one.

I have one of these - it is USB Type C but my motherboard supports it
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-4-port-usb-c-hub-usb-c-male-to-4x-usb-a-female-powered-usb-30-hub-aluminium-plug-and-play

It gets enough juice through the USB 3 port not to need a power supply

Edit: Sorry I just remembered, on my old PC I went down the route of a card and was really happy, it ran a Rift and 3 sensors no problem, could be an option?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4-por-startech-pci-express-usb-30-card-each-usb-port-can-provide-up-to-900ma-of-power

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 28, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirViver posted:

Unless you have a camera with IR mode there's unfortunately not really a good way to "debug" this issue other than by trial and error, though.

Finally a use for those Modern Warfare 2 NVG's sitting in the closet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pixel Ripped 1995 is the most fun I’ve had with the Quest in a while.