Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

He's not wrong and I unironically hope this happens lmao

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
China good

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Tom Cotton looks like Jacob Rees-Mogg. Somebody give him a monocle.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the US isn't going to be able to stop Chinese students from going to schools in other Western countries, if anything it just fucks the US university system over. Also, yeah, a lot of Chinese researchers aren't just coming to "learn from great American minds" but conduct their own research.

This entire era is just going to be the US continually owning itself because we can't admit to ourselves we aren't in control any longer.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Also, the US isn't going to be able to stop Chinese students from going to schools in other Western countries, if anything it just fucks the US university system over. Also, yeah, a lot of Chinese researchers aren't just coming to "learn from great American minds" but conduct their own research.

This entire era is just going to be the US continually owning itself because we can't admit to ourselves we aren't in control any longer.

I listened to the clip again and it just boggles my mind. I actually think he is observing and describing a real problem from a nationalistic view of the economy - bringing chinese (any foreign national, really) students to the US to educate them and then sending them home to compete against us isn't that great of a plan. However, the obvious solution of bringing them to the US and then keeping them here as citizens to contribute to our country doesn't seem to be on his radar. It's a drat shame it is Tom Cotton trying to address this issues, really, as lowering the bar for immigration is not a solution he would be willing to consider.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shakespeare, noted American ???

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

I listened to the clip again and it just boggles my mind. I actually think he is observing and describing a real problem from a nationalistic view of the economy - bringing chinese (any foreign national, really) students to the US to educate them and then sending them home to compete against us isn't that great of a plan. However, the obvious solution of bringing them to the US and then keeping them here as citizens to contribute to our country doesn't seem to be on his radar. It's a drat shame it is Tom Cotton trying to address this issues, really, as lowering the bar for immigration is not a solution he would be willing to consider.

I don't even know if it is much of a problem considering those foreign nationals are conducting research that will benefit the school, it is symbiotic relationship. The idea is China is so backwards that if we cut them off from US schools then there is no way for them to advance, which is questionable at this point. If anything, part of the reason post-graduate mainlanders are returning is that there may actually be more opportunity back in China.

Also, a guy like Cotton would also be up for cutting federal funding even further therefore starving schools from both ends.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shakespeare, noted American ???

Well duh he wrote in American, same as Jesus.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

LimburgLimbo posted:

they rode dinosaurs together as kids

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One of the Chinese grad students I came across online mentioned the reason he is not going back to China is that his line of work has to find jobs in first tier cities in China, and the apartment price in the 1st tier cities are too expensive.

Like the cheaper real estate price is one of the few things left US has against China. I think in place like Silicon Valley it has nothing to offer the Chinese talent that Shenzhen can't.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

One of the Chinese grad students I came across online mentioned the reason he is not going back to China is that his line of work has to find jobs in first tier cities in China, and the apartment price in the 1st tier cities are too expensive.

Like the cheaper real estate price is one of the few things left US has against China. I think in place like Silicon Valley it has nothing to offer the Chinese talent that Shenzhen can't.

google and facebook and amazon are still more prestigious employers than baidu or alibaba but this is mostly off of culutural inertia much like why stanford and mit and berkeley are more prestigious universities than tsinghua or shanghai jiao tong

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

I would say exposing international student to US political "science" is more likely to turn them away from liberalism if anything

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

then how come i can't understand him?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

google and facebook and amazon are still more prestigious employers than baidu or alibaba but this is mostly off of culutural inertia much like why stanford and mit and berkeley are more prestigious universities than tsinghua or shanghai jiao tong

It might also have something to do with how Google, Facebook and Amazon have changed the world as we know it (for better or worse) while Baidu and Alibaba, uh, they were allowed to make lovely knockoffs of other peoples' software and websites BUT IN CHINA(tm).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah yeah, American companies succeed thanks to their own genius, Chinese companies can merely be allowed (by who?) to make lovely knockoffs

"they copied other people's software" lmao basically every web server on the planet runs on the same handful of open-source software

Kassad has issued a correction as of 07:51 on Apr 27, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant believe we now have tom cotton on the record as supporting liberal arts programs in american universities

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

the irony of this is that the purpose of such programs is the exact opposite of what tom cotton thinks we get the smart people from other countries to study here and try to get them to stay because theyre so smart and useful this ends up screwing over the home countries since the kind of people they need to develop themselves just end up getting poached into the united states becoming gently caress you got mine immigrants this brain drain effect is among other reasons one of the big ones permanently retarding african development and is a much much bigger problem to african countries than say chinese debt

china has gotten past this problem by offering counterbribes this woman im dating is mulling over doing more research at international institutions versus going back to china and one of the big factors in the go back to china column is that she has a permanent job there if she comes back and theyll also pay off the rest of the mortgage on the house they helped her get a greal deal on

note that in my specific example referring to her as stealing foreign education to be used against us by the perfidious chinese is more than a little silly because it ignores the fact that she already spent the vast majority of her education in china with the international stuff being done mainly as a postgrad if anyone has a right to her brain power its china not that any of the people she knows professionally are dumb enough to actually say that they know the bribes are more convincing

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

the irony of this is that the purpose of such programs is the exact opposite of what tom cotton thinks we get the smart people from other countries to study here and try to get them to stay because theyre so smart and useful this ends up screwing over the home countries since the kind of people they need to develop themselves just end up getting poached into the united states becoming gently caress you got mine immigrants this brain drain effect is among other reasons one of the big ones permanently retarding african development and is a much much bigger problem to african countries than say chinese debt

china has gotten past this problem by offering counterbribes this woman im dating is mulling over doing more research at international institutions versus going back to china and one of the big factors in the go back to china column is that she has a permanent job there if she comes back and theyll also pay off the rest of the mortgage on the house they helped her get a greal deal on

note that in my specific example referring to her as stealing foreign education to be used against us by the perfidious chinese is more than a little silly because it ignores the fact that she already spent the vast majority of her education in china with the international stuff being done mainly as a postgrad if anyone has a right to her brain power its china not that any of the people she knows professionally are dumb enough to actually say that they know the bribes are more convincing

That's an idiot's opinion, because in reality the US (or europe or whereever) would be relying on the fact that the Chinese economy spent 18+ years of investment on a non-productive citizen who left the country right on the cusp of becoming very productive. If they are working on research in some big tech field like big data or AI, I would guess they wouldn't be very valuable in a research role at their uni but would have significant value when they move into industry. It is in the US's best interest for them to go from Stanford to working at Google or Amazon instead of Baidu or Alibaba, and steal that investment for our own economies.

Internationalism of some sort kinda flips the table on these ideas but if you look at nation state macros, I think brain drain is a significant way to maintain superpower status.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm agreeing with the bold and trying to pile on your strawman because it pisses me off so much lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

referring to her as stealing foreign education to be used against us by the perfidious chinese is more than a little silly because it ignores the fact that she already spent the vast majority of her education in china

Delta-Wye posted:

I think brain drain is a significant way to maintain superpower status.

yup - the whole point of those "point-based" immigration models is so that you need to already be educated by the time you try to immigrate, which means your mother-country poured however much of its educational resources into you, only for your immigrant country of choice to reap the benefits - it's just another way of extracting value from countries on the imperial periphery by having them foot the public education bill

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kassad posted:

Chinese companies can merely be allowed (by who?) to make lovely knockoffs

By their own government which puts up enough tape and resistance that it's extremely hard for a foreign company to get a real foothold, thus creating an environment where literally just copying a proven business model that's worked overseas is your best bet at being successful

Kassad posted:

"they copied other people's software" lmao basically every web server on the planet runs on the same handful of open-source software

Nobody drinks the coolaid and claims that web servers are going to change everything and rule the world in 2010, no wait uuuh 2020, no wait uuuhh soon, very soon

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

yup - the whole point of those "point-based" immigration models is so that you need to already be educated by the time you try to immigrate, which means your mother-country poured however much of its educational resources into you, only for your immigrant country of choice to reap the benefits - it's just another way of extracting value from countries on the imperial periphery by having them foot the public education bill

It seems so obvious to me. So, does Tom Cotton genuinely not see it that way, or is he just playing stupid for some reason?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

By their own government which puts up enough tape and resistance that it's extremely hard for a foreign company to get a real foothold, thus creating an environment where literally just copying a proven business model that's worked overseas is your best bet at being successful

exactly how many internationally successful companies do you think there are that made up their own business model from scratch without copying anybody

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Nobody drinks the coolaid and claims that web servers are going to change everything and rule the world in 2010, no wait uuuh 2020, no wait uuuhh soon, very soon

You're not exactly disproving Shear Modulus' point about this being cultural inertia.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

exactly how many internationally successful companies do you think there are that made up their own business model from scratch without copying anybody

Not many, which is why the ones that do and continue to innovate are prestigious in a way that *currently* (this will change in time) the major Chinese firms are not.

And I'm not saying it's an objectively bad thing to have a domestic version of a successful business model overseas, or something that only happens in China. Indeed from the point of view of China it's a lot better to have a bunch of domestic firms make their versions of things and not get taken over by a bunch of international firms because it gives them a lot more control, which is of course why they set things up that way.

But back to my original point; saying that FAANG et al are *only* prestigious because of cultural inertia and in reality are hardly different from assorted Chinese companies is pretty specious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im very curious what unique innovation you think facebook apple amazon netflix and google are doing right now that make them a significant improvement over equivalent chinese firms to the extent that the chinese are just copying their ideas

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Microsoft literally got started by ripping off or buying everything they could get their hands on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

It seems so obvious to me. So, does Tom Cotton genuinely not see it that way, or is he just playing stupid for some reason?

I think it's just another example of racism taking precedence over the stewardship of empire

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's just another example of racism taking precedence over the stewardship of empire

Racism mixed with a healthy amount of paranoia and nationalism isn't a good mix.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:17 on Apr 27, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's a good business model. I have said it before EU should build up their IT protectionism and enforce the IT industry work force inside EU. Fining Google and Facebook 1 billion every other year is no substitute for actual IT employment inside your countries. I mean all capiatlist countries do it with the car industry so why not the IT industry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys I live in America. It's actually not that great unless you are already rich and love pickup trucks and AR-15s.

Hope this helps

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I don't really care to listen to that video but I'm assuming the argument is "bad China student no university" so it's probably in regards to this kind of thing:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/us-intelligence-chinese-student-espionage/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/american-universities-are-soft-target-china-s-spies-say-u-n1104291

Especially if it's about tech and IP. And it's ultimately about defense tech, not Alibaba. Studying Shakespeare doesn't really have that problem.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys I live in America. It's actually not that great unless you are already rich and love pickup trucks and AR-15s.

Hope this helps

you never explained why you were agreeing with a racist saying racist poo poo

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Wow, a tacit admission that STEM programs have gone down the gutter and those two subjects are the only worthwhile ones left in America.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America, very bad

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

huhwhat posted:

Wow, a tacit admission that STEM programs have gone down the gutter and those two subjects are the only worthwhile ones left in America.

in fact, fairly soon I would expect many American students to apply to good and cool chinese universities and move to China to receive eduacation

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Typo posted:

in fact, fairly soon I would expect many American students to apply to good and cool chinese universities and move to China to receive eduacation

I cannot stress enough the importance of the classics.

"I only wish to be forever drunk and never sober again"

李白 將進酒 https://eastasiastudent.net/china/classical/li-bai-jiang-jin-jiu/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If American students want to come here and study Li Bai & the Mao Zhedong Thoughts, that's what they need to learn from China. They don't need to learn Quantum Communication.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

tom cotton wants no immigrants at all, unless maybe if they will become loyal republican voters

reading shakespeare and the federalist papers clearly means recognizing the superiority of whiteness

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*fantasizing about my decolonialized, post-colonial hegemonic pluriverse intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
typo needs an intro to all of his posts like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiAi-GsQ1c