Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I mean there is plenty to criticise them for. Big meaty bags of plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hogan did have just the two technical sequences he would bust out. Also he's a giant racist

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The American Dream posted:

I wish I knew how many dumbass hillbilly’s tried to fight Marc mero because they thought he was a sissy and got knocked out by a gold glove boxer because they couldn’t resist bullying someone.

Golden Gloves is a hell of a thing but it also doesn't mean you're a superstar. You can earn em fighting cans depending on the region.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh but seriously I posted:

When people disparage the incredibly built 80s wrestlers who worked 330 days a year as lazy, I look at them askance

No, you don't understand. They might not have charisma, or mic skills, or presence, but they do flippy-dos, so that makes them better than Hogan!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh but seriously I posted:

Hogan did have just the two technical sequences he would bust out. Also he's a giant racist

Sadly, being a huge racist means the Hulkster doesn't even make like the top 100 worst wrestlers ever

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Randaconda posted:

They might not have charisma, or mic skills, or presence, but they do flippy-dos, so that makes them better than Hogan!

who are you referring to

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i misread the comment

:negative:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

TheKingslayer posted:

Golden Gloves is a hell of a thing but it also doesn't mean you're a superstar. You can earn em fighting cans depending on the region.

I would consider some good ole boy with beer muscles at a roadhouse an hour outside of tupelo to be the definition of a can, yes.

I just looked it up and he won 4 New York State titles. The guy that trained him is a legend in the New York boxing scene for what it’s worth.

I don’t know much about boxing but but being the best in your weight class in New York in the 80s is probably pretty good.

Wiki also says he quit boxing because he broke his nose. Only the prettiest of men would realize what truly matters in life.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, and in boxing they won't let you just wear a cool mask like Vega.

It's ironic that Marc Mero was the only guy who managed to lose twice in the Brawl for All, because he had no takedown defense. Nerds criticize boxing for being limited. But in a barfight, if you can take a punch and hit hard enough to break someone's face, all the stuff you theoretically had no defense for doesn't matter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's ironic that Marc Mero was the only guy who managed to lose twice in the Brawl for All, because he had no takedown defense. Nerds criticize boxing for being limited. But in a barfight, if you can take a punch and hit hard enough to break someone's face, all the stuff you theoretically had no defense for doesn't matter.

hey lets be fair here

his punches were also loving atrocious in the Brawl 4 All

whatever boxing skill Mero had in the 80s was completely gone by 1998

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Marc Mero looks crazy good in 2020, i barely recognized his picture.

While googling that, I think I found out where Brock learned to swindle Vince so much; from Sable

quote:

How Sable reacted to Playboy wanting her:

When Playboy came to, Vince said to me, he said ‘Hey Marc, Playboy has a really strong offer to have your wife in their magazine.’ I said, ‘No, no, could never do that, I’m a Christian, I couldn’t do that, Vince.’ And so, I remember, I don’t know why she wasn’t with me at the time, she was doing some other TV show or something, I can’t remember. When we came home together, I said, ‘You’re not going to believe this, I got to tell you something, Vince said to me that Playboy would like you to do their magazine.’

So let’s say Playboy sold half a million copies a month for their magazine, and if she did a million copies over that, that’s another $250,000. It becomes the fastest selling Playboy in history. So what do they do? They call me back, because now we’re hooked in with Hugh Hefner, we’re going to the Playboy parties, at the Mansion, the Halloween Extravaganza, Midsummer Night’s Dream, we’re watching movies at Hef’s house, it’s like we’re part of their team, so he calls me, he doesn’t call WWE, he calls me, he goes, ‘We want to do it again.’

So I say, ‘Well, I want seven figures plus a quarter an issue over normal sales.’ They give it to us. Steve, I don’t know if you know this or not, but she did that four times, she did that four times. So now, she’s really raking it in with that.

This whole article is good, Marc mero is good https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/marc-mero-how-marriage-sable-fell-apart

lol, ongoing lawsuit with the WWE and all she has to do is say sorry to some people

quote:

Sable wanting to go back to WWE:

She calls me up and she says, ‘Hey Marc, what do you think if I go back to wrestling?’ And Steve, as God as my witness, I was dumbfounded. I go, ‘Are you crazy? First of all, they hate you, Vince would never have you back, are you crazy?’ And she goes, ‘I already talked to him, and he said he’ll think about it.’ Are you kidding me? And that’s how it all started. She had to go apologize to some of the big stars of the company at the time, bunch of names, but she went and did the right thing and she went back and apologized and got Sable back.

haha finding out Sable was cheating on him, and saying he was gonna beat the poo poo out of the guy, then he found it was Brock lol

Hirez fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 27, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

the thing about B4A was you also had a crazy middle aged guy screaming at you for slugfests. Most grapplers have a built in grapple trigger that gets tripped when you spark them. Its pretty funny to watch the town's amateur knockout artist do that deer in headlights look when suddenly there's this half conscious former JV wrestler in full mount doing what they vaguely remember Chuck Liddell doing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Plenty of guys in the UFC have dropped matches they had no business losing because people wanted to see them STAND AND BANG

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tomorrow's ONE NIGHT ONLY RETURN OF TUESDAY NITRO will be a show that might be the worst PPV in history, a show so bad... it's scary.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Tomorrow's ONE NIGHT ONLY RETURN OF TUESDAY NITRO will be a show that might be the worst PPV in history, a show so bad... it's scary.

It's gonna be pretty hard to top the last two unless it also has a 1999 Rick Steiner match

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

It's gonna be pretty hard to top the last two unless it also has a 1999 Rick Steiner match

hahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

ahahahaa

ha

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh no.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

don't worry, it's only the longest match on the card (by one second)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alaois posted:

hahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

ahahahaa

ha

I hope he keeps his inexplicable win streak

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

Oh man are you in for a treat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Rick Steiner, his son signed with the Ravens

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2020-Son-of-former-WWE-star-Rick-Steiner-signs-with-Baltimore-Ravens-146524330/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight is better than the last two Rick Steiner matches.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight is better than the last two Rick Steiner matches.

Well I don't think any more Rick Steiner matches end via heavily edited dog attack, so I'd sure as hell hope so

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
just lol if you're watching whole Steiner matches, instead of the 30 min compilations of their Brain Busters on Jobbers

Cept the Dog Chain match :getin: I forget who that was even with and what the payoff was, I think It was a DDP/Kim Page angle

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

blows my mind you got Sting, Vader, Abby and Cactus loving Jack curtain jerking so Ron Simmons and an unhappy Lex Luger can main event.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was legit blown away at how hot the crowd was for Simmons. Simmons could (and did) work his fuckin rear end off, but they had sat through so many awful matches on that show, including at least 3 squashes. They were red hot hoping Simmons would go over though, goddamn.

E: Young Paul E. was fabulous on the mic as he started the Dangerous Alliance too, good grief.

E2: Wasn't that eventual wargames match one of the best wargames matches ever?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 29, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Did Firebreaker Chip and Clod Champion need to be on that PPV? Absolutely not! But it makes you wonder just how many one time gimmicks never saw a PPV check.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

Did Firebreaker Chip and Clod Champion need to be on that PPV? Absolutely not! But it makes you wonder just how many one time gimmicks never saw a PPV check.

at least they were US tag champs challenging for the world title

did you forget about the match between PN News teaming with Big Josh against Creature 1 and 2

at least Bug Josh ditched the gimmick to become Doink the Clown soon after

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Big Josh more like Bad Josh.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Wrestling With Wregret did a review of New Blood Rising, and holy god was that PPV bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETGo9FMIik

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

Wrestling With Wregret did a review of New Blood Rising, and holy god was that PPV bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETGo9FMIik

Is that the show whrre they ran a radio ad ending with "Expect a night of run ins!"?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that the show whrre they ran a radio ad ending with "Expect a night of run ins!"?

i don't know but it's a show named after a stable that didn't exist anymore by the time the show came round

and it's also got the best late-period WCW gimmicks, namely 3 Count and Lance Storm, Canadian Champion

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Wait, how do you NAME A SHOW after a stable and then break up the stable before the show happens?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Wait, how do you NAME A SHOW after a stable and then break up the stable before the show happens?

WCW.txt

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

karmicknight posted:

:russo:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

karmicknight posted:

IT'S A SWERVE BRO

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

karmicknight posted:

Buys, brother

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
STAND TALL! STAND TALL! STAND TALL!

..... NATURE BOYYYYY!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Troy Queef posted:

Finally got around to giving this a watch. While I am a big fan of Wrestling With Wregret, I only made it through roughly over 10 minutes of this because late-2000 WCW was so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
New Blood Rising is when Goldberg REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT and despite that it still might not be the worst WCW 2000 PPV (it's still horrible).