Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cojawfee posted:

My Adam Savage 45 is smooth on one side

This sounds like cockney rhyming slang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Sausages posted:

Does anyone do hidden tracks/songs anymore? How would they even be done?

The two I've personally encountered are Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief LP which had 2 grooves on one side, and Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf CD which had a hidden song that some players could access by rewinding the first track.

Nirvana had one. I think Blur had one or two but I don't know. Often hidden tracks were just the last song followed by silence and then the hidden song. Yeah, sometimes there were empty index tracks. I suppose there's nothing to hide in these days. Did LPs have hidden tracks? The had their own tricks I guess like on the White Album. You could do like NIN did for Year Zero and leave USB sticks around for people to find. Each medium has their own contrivance.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/ten-memorable-hidden-tracks-2339667

How about hidden images:

Aphex Twin
The "Windowlicker" single contains its title track and two B-sides. Track two, commonly known as "[Formula]",[10] "[Equation]", or, as translated on the Japanese edition, "[Symbol]", due to its actual title being a complex mathematical formula ("ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n] [Σj∈C[i]Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[[n−1]]"), has a very experimental sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xMuPWAZW8

(5:30 for the image)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Sausages posted:

My favorite was always the Off The Deep End album by Weird Al Yankovic. After the end of the last song, if you leave the CD player alone, there was a full ten full minutes of silence, followed by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIi-H0gSdM

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite was always the Off The Deep End album by Weird Al Yankovic. After the end of the last song, if you leave the CD player alone, there was a full ten full minutes of silence, followed by:

quote:

‘Nevermind’, 10 minutes after the last track

The grinding warp-rock finale to ‘Nevermind’ was originally left off the first 20,000 copies because the guy mastering the record forgot to include it after ‘Something In The Way’. It was only when Kurt & co got the album home that they noticed it wasn’t there and insisted it be reinstated; the 10 minutes of silence preceding it was presumably to mitigate the mistake. Fair point though, Lana Del Rey was hardly ever going to cover this, um, zinger.

Man is a genius.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Ape of Naples posted:

Nirvana had one. I think Blur had one or two but I don't know. Often hidden tracks were just the last song followed by silence and then the hidden song. Yeah, sometimes there were empty index tracks. I suppose there's nothing to hide in these days. Did LPs have hidden tracks? The had their own tricks I guess like on the White Album. You could do like NIN did for Year Zero and leave USB sticks around for people to find. Each medium has their own contrivance.

Offspring's Americana did the silence thing before the hidden track.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Offspring's Americana did the silence thing before the hidden track.

There's also hidden tracks on CD's where it goes to track 99 and plays it. So as the cd player cycles tracks, it effectively will take 10 min to get there unless you manually skip.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The first Tenacious D album had a hidden track at the end (yes I was in high school in 2001, how did you know?).

"Lunatics and Poets" by The Red Elvises also had a weird track at the end called "Tiki". I don't know how it was actually "hidden" on the disc because I've just got it as mp3, but it's labeled "(hidden track)" and is 9 minutes of bird noises.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think every alt rock band in the 90s did a few minutes of silence and then a song that was just goofing off.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Nirvana hidden track was a studio rendition of a live staple that usually ended in a destroyed drum set and guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJdBl0_e-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJ2V2lUb5Q

King Buzzo was right, it is kind of pathetic to watch Kurt try and destroy a guitar.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

I think every alt rock band in the 90s did a few minutes of silence and then a song that was just goofing off.

"You want a hidden track? How's this for one... Ben Folds is a FUCKIN rear end in a top hat"

Jagged Little Pill had a nice one, iirc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shut up Meg posted:

(5:30 for the image)

For the curious (assuming it's not mentioned in the article.) The face belongs to one Mr. Richard D. James, better known as Aphex Twin.

Also one of the first hidden tracks I can remember is Jack Off Jill's cover of The Cure hit, "Lovesong." It's track 66 on their album Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxsWBqXBR_0&hd=1

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

On flexi discs, this here is New Order playing Christmas songs for the Hacienda Christmas party in 1982.

Here's how flimsy they were. They'd often require that you put some kind of weight on them like a penny, to keep them from spinning on the platten under the weight of the tonearm.

Just a perfectly fine mess of everything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Strong Bad Sings has one of those and I always forget about it/love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXbEhosNvRc

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

Did LPs have hidden tracks?

Jack White's Third Man Records has done some hidden/crazy stuff on LPs. 45 and 78 tracks hidden inside the center labels on 12" 33s, double grooved stuff that plays a different intro depending on where you drop the needle that meet back together in the body of the song, stuff that plays from the inside out, and apparently an entire hidden 7" encased within a 12" record that you'd have to destroy to get the single out. And I'm sure they weren't the first to do a lot of that. People find ways to have fun with whatever medium.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Cool, thanks.

What's is that the lyrics are 32 years old, yet not obsolete.
Sheeeit, I still have that memorized! :corsair:

edit: The Beatles' "Her Majesty" is considered a hidden track on the Abbey Road LP. My favorite hidden LP track, though, is after "A Day In the Life" on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band:

Wikipedia posted:

As "A Day in the Life" ends, a 15-kilohertz high-frequency tone is heard; it was added at Lennon's suggestion with the intention that it would annoy dogs. This is followed by the sounds of backwards laughter and random gibberish that were pressed into the record's concentric run-out groove, which loops back into itself endlessly on any record player not equipped with an automatic needle return. Lennon can be heard saying, "Been so high", followed by McCartney's response: "Never could be any other way."

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Apr 26, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Jack White's Third Man Records has done some hidden/crazy stuff on LPs. 45 and 78 tracks hidden inside the center labels on 12" 33s, double grooved stuff that plays a different intro depending on where you drop the needle that meet back together in the body of the song, stuff that plays from the inside out, and apparently an entire hidden 7" encased within a 12" record that you'd have to destroy to get the single out. And I'm sure they weren't the first to do a lot of that. People find ways to have fun with whatever medium.

He also hid vinyl in couches and poo poo. Crazy stuff.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXC4TXexrLI

What's is that the lyrics are 32 years old, yet not obsolete.

[QUOTE]Big Mac, Mc DLT, a Quarter-Pounder with some cheese, Filet-O-Fish, a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a Happy Meal. McNuggets, tasty golden french fries, regular or larger size, and salads: chef salad or garden, or a chicken salad oriental. Big Big Breakfast, Egg McMuffin, hot hot cakes, and sausage. Maybe biscuits, bacon, egg and cheese, a sausage, danish, hash browns too. And for dessert hot apple pies, and sundaes three varieties, a soft-serve cone, three kinds of shakes, and chocolatey chip cookies. And to drink a Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, and orange drink, A Sprite and coffee, decaf too, A lowfat milk, also an orange juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7i9inHZIHw

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I can't even find an image of it now, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't a fever dream, but when I was a kid my sister had a white, flimsy vinyl of Canadian pop radio staple "I Beg Your Pardon" by Kon Kan.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
It's a less recent, analogue kind of obsolete tech, but letterlocking is absolutely fascinating. What was letterlocking? It's how people living pre-envelope and pre-Post Office frequently ensured their letters were intact, legible, and private, especially if they were not gentry and therefore could not use a seal to ensure authenticity and privacy, and it's great. I found this channel today and binged the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GAIaYN_Gk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Treguna Mekoides posted:

It's a less recent, analogue kind of obsolete tech, but letterlocking is absolutely fascinating. What was letterlocking? It's how people living pre-envelope and pre-Post Office frequently ensured their letters were intact, legible, and private, especially if they were not gentry and therefore could not use a seal to ensure authenticity and privacy, and it's great. I found this channel today and binged the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GAIaYN_Gk

If you ever want to see a bunch of old men, some of which have literally already died, arguing for decades, postal history is your friend.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Apr 27, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I finally got time to watch this. That's all super cool. I had no idea that they released films on 8mm. I haven't seen this channel before, checking out some of his other videos. checking out the phone phreaking video now, something before my time but I've heard a lot about.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I finally got time to watch this. That's all super cool. I had no idea that they released films on 8mm. I haven't seen this channel before, checking out some of his other videos. checking out the phone phreaking video now, something before my time but I've heard a lot about.

Thread favorite Techmoan has a much more in depth video on 8mm and its whole thing as an attempt at making a replacing VHS format, and he goes into films getting distributed on it and their subsequent use in airlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdObeF9VHiA

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Sausages posted:

You could hide an audio file in the cover art image.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vanagoon posted:

The McDonalds contest Flexi Disc that came in the newspaper was neat, I still have a vague memory of getting one as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXC4TXexrLI

https://news.avclub.com/in-1988-mcdonald-s-released-a-maddening-1-000-000-me-1798247206

Is there any audio of the winning track?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is there any audio of the winning track?

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/lost-notes/a-million-dollars-worth-of-plastic

Spoiler if you don't want to sit through a half-hour podcast about the saga of the winners, though it's worth it

The reporter tracks down the winner, who still has a copy of the disc which he's sure was the winning one. The reporter gets a record player and convinces the guy to give it a play...only to discover it's just one of the millions of non-winning discs. Where's the actual winning disc these days? :iiam:

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Apr 27, 2020

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

I was unreasonably annoyed that he didn’t know who IRS Records or, apparently, R.E.M. were.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

SaintFu posted:

I was unreasonably annoyed that he didn’t know who IRS Records or, apparently, R.E.M. were.

I didn't know about IRS records, and the R.E.M. bit was printed a lot smaller, I don't know when he received all of these, he might've only had a day or two to glance at them and do a bit of homework, so I can see missing the little R.E.M. text, especially when the focus is on the format, not the content.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
*Holds a Sony D1 tape that was pretty much a standard when it came to tape masters and was used pretty much everywhere in video production*

"I have no idea what it is and couldn't type "Sony D1 tape" to a search engine."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SaintFu posted:

He only listens to neofolk.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

This sounds like cockney rhyming slang.

Your day’s gone a bit smooth on one side, innit?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

This was a fantastic watch, thank you! It actually seems like... kind of a good idea? Letting people rent movies from any old supermarket sounds like a good business proposition, albeit horribly wasteful one, though I wonder what the environmental impact of printing one of those things and having it end up in a dump is compared to your average drive back to a rental store to return a DVD.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beartaco posted:

This was a fantastic watch, thank you! It actually seems like... kind of a good idea? Letting people rent movies from any old supermarket sounds like a good business proposition,
All of the grocery stores I commonly go to have a Redbox machine in them, or another brand of the same thing.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

All of the grocery stores I commonly go to have a Redbox machine in them, or another brand of the same thing.

That part was really interesting too. I'm not from the States so I'd never even heard of these rental vending machines.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Beartaco posted:

That part was really interesting too. I'm not from the States so I'd never even heard of these rental vending machines.

They really are fantastic when you don't have streaming options available. A few years ago my parents sold their condo near Clemson, SC. The internet there was pretty lovely (and broadcast TV sucks), so my wife and I would stop at a Redbox on our way in, rent a few movies we'd been wanting to watch, and would have something to do while drinking the nights away.

I really miss that condo. :sigh:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Beartaco posted:

This was a fantastic watch, thank you! It actually seems like... kind of a good idea? Letting people rent movies from any old supermarket sounds like a good business proposition, albeit horribly wasteful one, though I wonder what the environmental impact of printing one of those things and having it end up in a dump is compared to your average drive back to a rental store to return a DVD.

If you haven't watched Technology Connections entire catalogue, then you really should.

Hie persona belies all the detailed work he puts into his videos: he really should be an old guy with a beard and bifocals: not an adorably camp young guy in his parents' basement, wearing a Goodwill tweed jacket because it makes him look older. Not only are they well-presented, he really does his research as I have seen him reference facts that go beyond the usual 'read wiki and the first page of google results' that some do.

I agree that they would have been horribly wasteful - a new disc and packaging for every renter is bad; but let's be honest: the viewers will all be drinking cola from plastic bottles and pringles from cans whilst watching the movies, so it's just one more thing in the mountain of unreycled trash.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

If you haven't watched Technology Connections entire catalogue, then you really should.

Hie persona belies all the detailed work he puts into his videos: he really should be an old guy with a beard and bifocals: not an adorably camp young guy in his parents' basement, wearing a Goodwill tweed jacket because it makes him look older. Not only are they well-presented, he really does his research as I have seen him reference facts that go beyond the usual 'read wiki and the first page of google results' that some do.

I agree that they would have been horribly wasteful - a new disc and packaging for every renter is bad; but let's be honest: the viewers will all be drinking cola from plastic bottles and pringles from cans whilst watching the movies, so it's just one more thing in the mountain of unreycled trash.

I've been following him for some time. I am a Patreon supporter even. He actually isn't in his parents basement! Believe it or not, he does the videos from the basement in his second house now!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

stevewm posted:

I've been following him for some time. I am a Patreon supporter even. He actually isn't in his parents basement! Believe it or not, he does the videos from the basement in his second house now!

Yeah, his parents live in the countryside and he cobbled together a UPS for his mother working from home.

Lurking Haro has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Apr 27, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009

stevewm posted:

Second house? Ugh, guillotine then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Fun fact, he's a second cousin of Dimebag Darrell