Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has johnson lost a bunch of hair or something? He looks like he aged another 5-10 years. At this rate he's genuinely going to fall apart before the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've had to do some work on a coronavirus clinical study withdrawing patients who might be dead. So uh, feeling great atm.

Got some chocolate tho.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

justcola posted:

Ah you're a good egg Josef, I think a lot of people who get into twists about the way they interact with people should care less and those that don't should care more - as a rule of thumb.

Similar goes for wondering 'does such and such a person like me' or 'should I leave this job' or 'am I being too quiet' - if you're asking yourself chances are it's right (unless you're wondering if you're socially awkward - you're not, but then being aware about being socially awkward makes you awkward)

It's more that yesterday I was playing a character in DnD and I believe I made someone uncomfortable.

quote:

Hey Josef, [my character] has audibly heard stuff via like message and sending before, but the way you phrased it in game today, especially from a 'hey, it's me your disabled friend' was kind of not cool. Gonna assume it wasn't intentional and, okay. But yeah.

And I want to make sure I don't make folks feel like that again. It made people uncomfortable and I hate making folks feel like that. I also don't want to make it all about me and I don't know how to deal with things. I am going to be talking to my therapist today over skype so hopefully I can bring it up. Sorry again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Deleter posted:

I've had to do some work on a coronavirus clinical study withdrawing patients who might be dead. So uh, feeling great atm.

Got some chocolate tho.

:hf:

Going through patient profiles on one of my studies last Friday was a ...bad way to start the weekend.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dog Pipes posted:

Just been to get a roni test.

I was able to book online yesterday but no tests were available at the test centre closest to me, so had to do a 40 mile round trip to the next closest.

You get emailed a scan ID which is screened through your car window (no opening of windows unless told otherwise). There were two cars in front of me, and then we were funnelled into another two queues for the two bays that were open - each was like a sort of small marquee tent with three people manning them. There were three cars in front of me at this stage, and the wait was about 15 mins. Also, there were no NHS staff there, just what appeared to be security personnel handing you the tests. This also meant that everyone was having to administer the tests themselves, but on the booking website it tells you that you have the choice of the NHS staff doing it or you doing it. Not here.

When you get into the bay, the staff hold up a card with a mobile number on and you have to call them. They tell you the procedure and then someone else comes over to the other window, you roll it down a bit and they chuck the test through the window along with a few tissues. Then you go and park up and administer the test. The test comes with an instruction booklet that isn't entirely clear tbh. It asks you to register if you haven't already but I wasn't sure what they meant. A helper was there and I had to call his number (remember - no windows are to be left open) to confirm that I did not need to do this again since I booked online yesterday. Whatever.

There's a swab about eight inches long and you have to scrape the back of your throat and tonsils with it for 10 seconds, followed by up your nose and twirl for another 15 seconds. The throat scrape was horrible as I kept gagging, so did that one about 5 times. The nose twirl makes you sneeze. When done, you have to snap off the swab into the test tube with a formula at the bottom, screw shut and seal up the bag they gave you. Round the corner into another queue to dump it into the bins. Should hear the outcome within 48 hours but could take up to 5 days.

The whole thing took about half an hour, which is the timeframe for slots you can book. It was orderly and the security staff were helpful and courteous, with lots of thumbs ups which kind of made me feel at ease tbh, although the tests not being done by professional staff concerns me.

What I don't get though, is this: I'm in Birmingham - there are three football grounds in the city with large carparks right outside that could also be used for testing. Not to mention the VAST carparks at the NEC and airport, both of which have great access to the nation's motorway network. But the only place to get tested in Brum is at Warwickshire CCC in Edgbaston - the next closest is Worcester, where I went. Why not have the testing at the NEC/airport? It's massive and much better connected.

NEC is a Nightingale and the airport is reserved as a temporary morgue.

Anyway don't these tests give a false-negative is you do them wrong? Leaving them up to individuals seems pretty loving stupid, but also par for the course for Serco, who HMG have outsourced it to.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dog Pipes posted:

Best of luck! Also from personal experience if you squeeze your thumb in your hand it helps with the gag reflex.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Deleter posted:

Got some chocolate tho.

Username/post.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Serco, who HMG have outsourced it to.
Can't wait to see how they screw this up.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

Can't wait to see how they screw this up.

The swabs give you covid-19

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

:hf:

Going through patient profiles on one of my studies last Friday was a ...bad way to start the weekend.

:smith: Hang in there. It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Deleter posted:

Got some chocolate tho.

yes yes but what chocolate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

The swabs give you covid-19

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

yes yes but what chocolate?

It is Cadbury's Dairy Milk, which I haven't had in forever so I don't know if any of the accusations levelled in this thread re: chocolate taste are accurate until I eat it. It's waiting around for tonight's episode of Westworld, so hopefully the vomit taste will distract me from the 50 minutes of android misery onscreen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Me setting up a tablet OS on a desktop.

The Deleter posted:

hopefully the vomit taste will distract me from the 50 minutes of android misery onscreen.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Real talk it feels like the setting and themes of Westworld season 3 (and android who used to be enslaved at cowboy Jurassic Park starts a revolution on behalf of an underclass manipulated by algorithms designed by billionaires) should be timely and make for an incisive series, but it's delivered with all the aplomb and grace of me taking a poo poo at 4 in the morning.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Theres been tonnes of Westworld talk in the chat thread, but to me it's still a good show in s3 (so-far) but its so obvious that the guy making it never got rid of his Person of Interest boner.

Basically identical plotlines at this point.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Virtual May Day rally being organized for Friday 1st:

https://www.londonmayday.org/

quote:

May Day 2020

As the options of a March and Rally have been closed off we are going to celebrate May Day on-line.

We are still in the process of working out the details but will be keeping you up to date as we get things in place to hold an on-line rally and celebration.

May Day will be celebrated and we want you to join us on-line.

The two themes adopted for this May Day remain – fighting the anti-union lawa and the workers support for the battle to deal with the climate crisis.

In the current coronavirus crisis we will be recognising that is such situations society depends on the input of workers.

We will be honouring all the workers fighting the battle including Emergency Workers and those that support them such as cleaners, catering staff & security; those keeping the infrastructure going such as Postal workers, Transport Workers, Food workers, Shop Workers, Delivery drivers, Water/Gas/Electricity/Telecoms workers, Social Care workers, Teachers and all those doing voluntary support work in the community

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dog Pipes posted:

I was able to book online yesterday but no tests were available at the test centre closest to me, so had to do a 40 mile round trip to the next closest.

Out of curiosity - does this mean people without cars are a bit screwed for getting tested unless they can find public transport to get there safely, or do people without their own car get other options?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ratjaculation posted:

what is choc?

baby don't hersh me
don't hersh me
no more

zhar
May 3, 2019

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of WW season 3 so far, seems better than season 2 but worse than season 1. I wouldn't call it "good", I'm just watching for the aesthetic at this point.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ratjaculation posted:

Theres been tonnes of Westworld talk in the chat thread, but to me it's still a good show in s3 (so-far) but its so obvious that the guy making it never got rid of his Person of Interest boner.

Basically identical plotlines at this point.

I've done like 30 posts about these idiot robots and their stupid bullshit. I think I am actually angry about it. Sincere posting is the highest crime but I will not deny my feelings

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cadbury Fruit & Nut is the best chocolate bar (NOT the "chopped" version).

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Do not get me wrong, Power Domme Delores looks cool as hell, but it is not enough

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

goddamnedtwisto posted:

NEC is a Nightingale and the airport is reserved as a temporary morgue.

Anyway don't these tests give a false-negative is you do them wrong? Leaving them up to individuals seems pretty loving stupid, but also par for the course for Serco, who HMG have outsourced it to.

I'm talking about the carparks at the NEC/airport though. Massive, and no one flying anywhere or going to huge cons etc. Also, aren't the Nightingales not being used too much anyway?

You're absolutely right on the tests. Government is doing this on the cheap again. Who is on the board of Serco?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Out of curiosity - does this mean people without cars are a bit screwed for getting tested unless they can find public transport to get there safely, or do people without their own car get other options?

It certainly does look that way, yes. Also, I only got a test because I am showing symptoms and work in a key sector.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dog Pipes posted:

It certainly does look that way, yes. Also, I only got a test because I am showing symptoms and work in a key sector.

Do you now self isolate until you get the results? I guess you're already doing that, apart from the car ride to the testing place.

I hope you don't test positive, but for people that do is there any information pack or anything telling you what to do beyond self isolate for a week past symptoms fading? Because it seems like we should be being at least half arsedly proactive about back tracking positive results.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.hsj.co.uk/acute-care/exclusive-national-alert-as-coronavirus-related-condition-may-be-emerging-in-children/7027496.article

quote:

A serious coronavirus-related syndrome may be emerging in the UK, according to an “urgent alert” issued to doctors, following a rise in cases in the last two to three weeks, HSJ has learned.

An alert to GPs and seen by HSJ says that in the “last three weeks, there has been an apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multisystem inflammatory state requiring intensive care across London and also in other regions of the UK”.

It adds: “There is a growing concern that a [covid-19] related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK, or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infectious pathogen associated with these cases.”

Little is known so far about the issue, nor how widespread it has been, but the absolute number of children affected is thought to be very small, according to paediatrics sources. The syndrome has the characteristics of serious covid-19, but there have otherwise been relatively few cases of serious effects or deaths from coronavirus in children. Some of the children have tested positive for covid-19, and some appear to have had the virus in the past, but some have not.

The fact that very few children have become seriously ill with the virus or died, compared to adults, remains the case.

The alert was issued to GPs in North London by their clinical commissioning group. It has been sent to doctors more widely and is confirmed in a separate “urgent alert” issued last night by the Paediatric Intensive Care Society.

The alert to GPs, marked “significant alert” states: “Please refer children presenting with these symptoms as a matter of urgency.”

Both messages said: “The cases have in common overlapping features of toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki Disease with blood parameters consistent with severe COVID-19 in children.

“Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms have been a common feature as has cardiac inflammation. This has been observed in children with confirmed PCR positive SARS-CoV-2 infection as well as children who are PCR negative. Serological evidence of possible preceding SARS-CoV-2 infection has also been observed.”

PICS advised “early discussion” of possible cases “with regional paediatric infectious disease and critical care teams”.

Simon Kenny, NHS England’s national clinical director for children and young people, said: “Thankfully Kawasaki-like diseases are very rare, as currently are serious complications in children related to Covid-19, but it is important that clinicians are made aware of any potential emerging links so that they are able to give children and young people the right care fast.

“The advice to parents remains the same: if you are worried about your child for whatever reason, contact NHS 111 or your family doctor for urgent advice, or 999 in an emergency, and if a professional tells you to go to hospital, please go to hospital.”

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I wonder if any other country has seen anything similar or is this just an unfortunate UK development.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

went to the shop earlier and ran in to someone who's still at the foodbank I used to volunteer at; they had about 20 bottles of shampoo & other essentials in their trolley to bring up to it - apparently last week 39 people showed up to get parcels in one afternoon. for perspective, across the entire year-and-a-bit I was there, the busiest day I had saw 4 people come in through the door

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you now self isolate until you get the results? I guess you're already doing that, apart from the car ride to the testing place.

I hope you don't test positive, but for people that do is there any information pack or anything telling you what to do beyond self isolate for a week past symptoms fading? Because it seems like we should be being at least half arsedly proactive about back tracking positive results.

Thanks. Yeah, self isolating until the weekend. I guess the usual advice applies: still showing symptoms after seven days and hospital. If I can figure out how to post images, I'll post all of the pages of the instruction booklet I was given at the test centre.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Real talk it feels like the setting and themes of Westworld season 3 (and android who used to be enslaved at cowboy Jurassic Park starts a revolution on behalf of an underclass manipulated by algorithms designed by billionaires) should be timely and make for an incisive series, but it's delivered with all the aplomb and grace of me taking a poo poo at 4 in the morning.
Its such a misfire of a show. They got a huge budget and a platform to do and write anything they want about so many relevant issues and they way they depict this is through bizarre confusing plots, repeating twists and just some stunningly awful dialogue.

And if we're talking about TV, the second season of Gervais' Netflix show is one of the worst seasons of TV I have ever seen.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The intro to Westworld remains one of the finest ever committed to film, fight me

E: Even if they did lift half the aesthetic directly from the institute in fallout 4 to the point I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda had scope for a legal challenge if they felt like it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I will never understand why so many online-only jobs need to know your full education and work history

like just set a test that's the same kind of stuff as the job entails and sign up the people who get a high enough score, you don't need to know what GCSEs I have or how many years I've spent doing pointless busywork in an office somewhere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

It's more that yesterday I was playing a character in DnD and I believe I made someone uncomfortable.

And I want to make sure I don't make folks feel like that again. It made people uncomfortable and I hate making folks feel like that. I also don't want to make it all about me and I don't know how to deal with things. I am going to be talking to my therapist today over skype so hopefully I can bring it up. Sorry again.

Sometimes you do just have to take corrections. It does suck poo poo yeah, but the important thing is learning from it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

I will never understand why so many online-only jobs need to know your full education and work history

like just set a test that's the same kind of stuff as the job entails and sign up the people who get a high enough score, you don't need to know what GCSEs I have or how many years I've spent doing pointless busywork in an office somewhere

Yes it's a pain. My tinfoil hat theory is that by the time you reach your 40s say you have done a handful of temporary jobs squashed in between uni vacations or between 'proper jobs' that you will trip up, forget to mention one, and then they have an excuse to fire you at any time for lying. I mean I completely forgot until a couple of weeks ago that I took 3 weeks vacation once when I had some outstanding, and went temping as a typist in a surveyor's office instead of holidaying on a beach somewhere.
Also, I think it is supposed to show some kind of 'diligence' and 'conformity' to societal norms regarding life paths.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

HR bods need to justify their existence so they set more and more complicated testing. Filling in your work history back to when you were 12 is part of a test of your willingness to "play the game" and be a servile little robot for an uncaring world.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched the first four episodes of Westworld and that was enough. I don't loving care about their cowboy bullshit, we know they're all fake from minute one, get to the point.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

The intro to Westworld remains one of the finest ever committed to film, fight me

E: Even if they did lift half the aesthetic directly from the institute in fallout 4 to the point I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda had scope for a legal challenge if they felt like it

I remember watching Ghost in the Shell after watching S1 of Westworld. There was tons of "homages" in that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are we still allowed to make decisions? Like I've read advice from people, for instance a charitable organisation regarding childcare, that says they have interpreted the government rules in a certain way and that you are allowed to do X thing as long as it is safe. Who gets to make the decision on whats safe? Like am I allowed to look at the sort of edge cases mentioned elsewhere and do a risk assessment and decide the thing I want to do is actually less bad and so I can do it?

Is it 'breaking the rules' for a couple to send their primary school kids to their young set of grandparents who have slightly older kids and live just round the corner under the auspices of a mental health break. I have no idea if I have used the word auspices right either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes you do just have to take corrections. It does suck poo poo yeah, but the important thing is learning from it.

It's not that it's just that I keep feeling like I make the same mistakes over and over even when I am trying not to. It's frustrating.

Therapist said I should be kinder to myself. I disagree.

How is everyone else doing by the way?