Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

evilweasel posted:

i wouldn't say moderation (at least, with respect to the governors' office) was key to virginia's flip. perhaps you'd be even better with his primary opponent. it was certainly key with a few key races needed to get the legislature flipped.

but the key is that all of those moderates have produced such tremendous good for virginia that someone who is busy saying "hope trump beats biden!" is simultaneously saying how happy he is about the changes in virginia. that's a contradiction even if the more progressive candidate for governor would have done even better - because in 2021, you have an un-gerrymandered legislature that you can build on and continue to push the state leftward. none of the things that make him happy about VA would be possible if the neo-confederate had beaten the boring moderate who won the primary

The only good that has come to VA has come because of Carter and Roem, full stop. Northam is a loving barrier to improvement, not a catalyst for positive change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So you've reached the point of literally 'Everyone who disagrees with me only does so because they're a cartoon supervillain motivated solely by malice'.

not at all. i wasn't a bernie supporter and i disagree with many bernie supporters. the crux of the disagreement is generally "how best do we get there from here" rather than "should we go there" but as i acknowledged, one of the good things this year is that many of the bernie supporters are good people with good-faith disagreements (like bernie himself). what we have here is a small minority of bernie supporters, disowned by bernie and who have disowned him.

plenty of good people disagree with me; some of them are even right. i have yet, however, to find someone in either group who is a fan of 4chan memes.

you can always do the same "small town diner" thing about trump supporters about why they got where they are, humanizing them and how life delt them a bad hand to get them where they are today. but you also always have to keep in mind "well, then they voted for trump, and still support trump" perhaps there but for the grace of god go i - but they're there, and they're not leaving.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

“loving lib NPCs. It’s always German Mustache Man bad.”

If your only criticism of Hitler was that he yelled too much then I regret to inform you that you’re fighting fascism wrong.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I understand the trifecta is quite recent and if that's indeed the main barrier to progress it explains alot. Can't the governor do anything with executive powers or whatnot? Eitherway, from the commentors I've litsened to and from what i've gathered here in this forum there seem to be little interest in doing much of anything about that stuff. Instead they prioritize social concerns of suburbanites like tearing down confederate monuments and stuff (which is totally fine, but still). The seeming lack of interest in workers issues is kinda concerning to me

Or am I mistaken? Are there plans laid out to reform state labour laws or something that I've missed?

Northam has made if very clear that he is against repealing right to work and forced the law allow public sector unions to delay it for a year.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

joepinetree posted:

It's great when it is clear that someone has no loving clue as to what they are talking about and decide to pipe in anyways.

The rule for this year says "If a presidential candidate entitled to an allocation under this rule is no longer a candidate at the time at-large delegates are selected, his/her allocation shallbe proportionately divided among the other preferences entitled to an allocation."

The rule for 08 said "If a presidential candidate is no longer a candidate at the time of selection of the at-large delegates, then those at-large slots that would have been allocated to the candidate will be proportionally divided among the remaining preferences entitled to an allocation."

The only difference is that in 08 that was rule 10.c, this time it is rule 11.c.

It says absolutely nothing about suspend versus withdraw, and in 08 they interpreted "suspend" to mean that the person was still a candidate:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/06/suspending-vs-withdrawing.html

So yeah, you have no clue what you are talking about.

No you’re not reading the post. When was the new interpretation made? Looks to me like it was before Super Tuesday at the very least, I.e. when “Bernie’s gonna win” was not only a catchphrase but the odds on favorite.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

evilweasel posted:

i don't. i have, more or less, written you personally off. i'm not saying that to be mean, but more to be open and honest about where i'm coming from: no sense in appearing falsely polite. i more want to knock down the obvious nonsense that people are spouting to make it harder for you to con people who are sad into falling for the dark side, as it were. spouting conspiracy theories about how evil centrist voltron robbed you of what you really wanted, bernie sanders, through forcing everyone to withdraw in favor of the guy in fourth place is about trying to make sad people angry people who will follow you down a bad road. going "you know, you can look up what place he was in, and it wasn't fourth. why on earth would you listen to these people" isn't going to flip an election. but it might avoid a few people becoming bitter, angry people radicalizing themselves into trump supporters.

This whole post is wiiiild and is mostly just you feverishly ascribing motivations onto people. At best because they’ve been mislead or are deceiving themselves (!!), at worst because they’re nakedly hateful. For you the equation Biden > Trump is so obvious that the only reasons to have alternative views are rooted in ignorance or malice. Revealing! Not in a flattering way!

Anyway, cool of you to build that enormous strawman then finish by saying “and I’m going to be burning the poo poo out of this from now on, so get ready for it to stink up the place” at least you warned us

edit; this good post Somfin made a few pages ago resonated with me

Somfin posted:

You can vote Green. You can vote all downticket and ignore the presidency. You can stay home and not bother. There's way more than three options.

I don't get the folks that think that they can tell people, who are already talking fairly seriously about deliberately loving this election up rather than playing along, that what they're doing won't win the big neoliberal prize. No poo poo, idiot. Your ceremonial victory doesn't mean anything. The planet's going to kill us all. As far as my politics are concerned, either Biden or Trump winning is going to make things worse. The chance to avert it has passed. I'm no longer trying to help anyone win, because both contenders are my enemies and will work to accelerate the death of the planet. Maybe you still care, I don't. I'm trying to figure out how folks can still be good people at the far side of all this.

"Don't vote for a rapist" seems like a pretty good place to start.

This sort of mindset is really close to how I feel, and how I gather a lot more people feel, and it’s way more coherent than just a desire to inflict purposeless cruelty. if the Democrats cared about winning, they would be responsive to this kind of concern instead of alternatively condescending, rude, and moralistic.

Most people don’t vote Republican or Democrat or Green. Most people don’t vote at all because there’s no meaningful difference to them. But by all means keep saying “of course there’s a difference, idiot! you just have to pick it out of the same poo poo-filled toilet”

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Like, hi, I don't usually actually post in this thread but seriously your entire reading if VA politics is wrong. All of the moderates have just been watering down the bills leftists have been putting forward for the past year. We lost legalization to decriminalization. We lost rtw repeal, Dominion energy Monopoly breakup, public sector union striking, teacher raises, class size changes, detention center closure, amnesty for nonviolent offenders for covid fears, and SO MUCH MORE because Northam threatened to veto them or moderates killed them in committed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I understand the trifecta is quite recent and if that's indeed the main barrier to progress it explains alot. Can't the governor do anything with executive powers or whatnot? Eitherway, from the commentors I've litsened to and from what i've gathered here in this forum there seem to be little interest in doing much of anything about that stuff. Instead they prioritize social concerns of suburbanites like tearing down confederate monuments and stuff (which is totally fine, but still). The seeming lack of interest in workers issues is kinda concerning to me

Or am I mistaken? Are there plans laid out to reform state labour laws or something that I've missed?

It's been a long time since i followed Virginia politics closely and I don't want to act like I'm an authority on the specifics of what the new Democratic administration is doing. To the extent that labor laws aren't changed, that's absolutely something people should be pissed about - it's just that even if they were about to change them, whatever that 50 out of 50 ranking was relying on would be referencing laws passed by Republicans that Democrats hadn't had a chance to overturn.

There has been a very sizeable shift left in the state's politics, and you can assume that will get bigger in 2021 because Northram can't run for re-election and Democrats will be running on fair maps, not gerrymandered maps, so you would expect their majority to increase. There's certainly going to be things people believe should have been done but were not (I believe some gun control measures were just killed). But there has been a very large, positive change that can be built on - and one key aspect of it was an uninspiring moderate winning the governor's office in 2017 (instead of denying him votes so that the neo-confederate won instead and democrats learned their lesson!!! for 2021).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

evilweasel posted:

the crux of the disagreement is generally "how best do we get there from here" rather than "should we go there"

We are all already aware that liberals like to believe this, but it isn't true.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Like, hi, I don't usually actually post in this thread but seriously your entire reading if VA politics is wrong. All of the moderates have just been watering down the bills leftists have been putting forward for the past year. We lost legalization to decriminalization. We lost rtw repeal, Dominion energy Monopoly breakup, public sector union striking, teacher raises, class size changes, detention center closure, amnesty for nonviolent offenders for covid fears, and SO MUCH MORE because Northam threatened to veto them or moderates killed them in committed.

The logic is: this is all fine, because it's happening within the same party.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

If your only criticism of Hitler was that he yelled too much then I regret to inform you that you’re fighting fascism wrong.

Fortunately that is not the criticism, either then or now. And people talk about Trump being a dumb shot but they also insist he must be stopped due to his agenda of dismantling democracy, hurting people, sabotaging public health, and empowering literal present-day avowed Nazis.

It’s the posters adopting the Nazis literal own words from their memes who are ignoring the effects of Trump policies. And I’m sure 80 years ago they’d be comparing Roosevelt to Hitler as “just another imperialist warmonger servant of capital.”

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yronic heroism posted:

Fortunately that is not the criticism, either then or now. And people talk about Trump being a dumb shot but they also insist he must be stopped due to his agenda of dismantling democracy, hurting people, sabotaging public health, and empowering literal present-day avowed Nazis.

So why aren't they demanding a candidate who won't continue those things?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

i'm not saying that northam was actually a secret progressive or that everyone's getting everything they should get. it's that "look how much good was already done in VA, by virtue of winning with a (hilariously so, though we only found that out later) flawed candidate" because someone specifically cited VA as something they were really optimistic about while saying "don't vote for biden and hope trump wins"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If Trump is Hitler, then that would say something really terrible about Biden's willingness to work with Republicans, repeated statements that Republicans share his values, suggestions he might appoint Republicans, etc.

Theoretically if Trump and his Republican party are nazis, it would be incredibly concerning for the opposition to say they want to pass legislation that will get nazi votes or proudly declare how many of the nominee's friends are nazis.

Surely others can see how endorsing and supporting the "friends with nazis" candidate as the only alternative to nazis would still end up in a fascist state, right?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

No you’re not reading the post. When was the new interpretation made? Looks to me like it was before Super Tuesday at the very least, I.e. when “Bernie’s gonna win” was not only a catchphrase but the odds on favorite.

No, you dumbass. Colorado voted on Super Tuesday. They assigned the statewide delegates obviously after that. The change in interpretation only became a thing AFTER Bernie suspended his campaign, as state conventions started, as the Bernie campaign chairs make clear:

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1254598129720143872

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1254621948237287430

There's a reason Bernie specifically said that he was suspending his campaign. Because the rule, which has been the same since 08, was interpreted to mean that suspending wasn't the same as withdrawing. But as state conventions start, it is clear that this year, and THIS YEAR only, they've decided to switch their interpretation that suspending=withdrawing.

New Hampshire, for example, interpreted the rules the same way as before and so Pete got state wide delegates there. It is places like CO and CA that have suddenly decided to interpret it differently.

EDIT: Rusty Hicks is the chair of CA DEM and you can see in that thread that he is arguing that the DNC rules mandate stripping Bernie of statewide delegates, but that is obviously a lie because Hillary got her CA at large delegates in 08.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 27, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

If only that didn't enable someone so much worse.

Joe Biden was VP when we built the loving cages

He's also a rapist

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Disclaimer, I don't know if I would I say I have an ideology.

:lol:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It was clear back when the earlier candidates suspended their campaigns that they would not get statewide delegates. You weren’t crying about it then. Because you don’t actually care about the fairness of the process, just about how good it is for you.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/04/bloomberg-buttigieg-klobuchar-dropouts-delegates-121442

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

If Trump is Hitler, then that would say something really terrible about Biden's willingness to work with Republicans, repeated statements that Republicans share his values, suggestions he might appoint Republicans, etc.

Theoretically if Trump and his Republican party are nazis, it would be incredibly concerning for the opposition to say they want to pass legislation that will get nazi votes or proudly declare how many of the nominee's friends are nazis.

Surely others can see how endorsing and supporting the "friends with nazis" candidate as the only alternative to nazis would still end up in a fascist state, right?

Step two: “Bernie is the compromise candidate” when shown various clips of Bernie being friendly with Republicans, bragging about bipartisan resolutions, etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Apparently seeing the issue here is a sign you are not worth earning the vote of and should be silenced.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Pomp posted:

Joe Biden was VP when we built the loving cages

He's also a rapist

but The Deals President will do more evil things than The Compromise President or something.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

It was clear back when the earlier candidates suspended their campaigns that they would not get statewide delegates. You weren’t crying about it then. Because you don’t actually care about the fairness of the process, just about how good it is for you.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/04/bloomberg-buttigieg-klobuchar-dropouts-delegates-121442

You are quoting an article from after super tuesday this year. I just posted an article about how the interpretation was different in 08. You can't be this stupid. The point is that the interpretation of the rule is different between 08 and 2020, and as such pointing out that it is indeed the interpretation in 2020 is moronic.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

yronic heroism posted:

Step two: “Bernie is the compromise candidate” when shown various clips of Bernie being friendly with Republicans, bragging about bipartisan resolutions, etc.

I'm not sure how you think this is some kind of gotcha, because he is the compromise candidate for alot of people. Being friendly with republicans is a minus, not a plus.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

P sure they're talking about Biden and Trump, noted white supremacists and rapists

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

P sure they're talking about Biden and Trump, noted white supremacists and rapists

But one of them has a "D" next to their name on the TV!

Edit - And no it does not stand for "Demented"

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

yronic heroism posted:

I ignored this own when you tried it on me because it wasn’t very good, bud, you should have taken the hint. Like yeah that’s what compromise candidate means lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

evilweasel posted:

the crux of the disagreement is generally "how best do we get there from here" rather than "should we go there"

We essentially have to take Pete Buttigieg on faith that when he said he supported Medicare for All in the long run, before bashing it later in the primary, that he wasn't lying the first time. Just as how I don't have to have faith in the sincerity of politicians, no one has to believe anyone else isn't being disingenuous.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So why aren't they demanding a candidate who won't continue those things?

If you can’t see the difference between Republican and Democratic policies you just aren’t being honest with yourself.

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I'm not sure how you think this is some kind of gotcha, because he is the compromise candidate for alot of people. Being friendly with republicans is a minus, not a plus.

If we have agreed that all voting is a compromise we are merely haggling over price and can at least agree everyone should shove the absolutist rhetoric over accepting lesser evil still being evil, etc.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So stuck on Bernie they don't even realize they need to be arguing against Howie and la Riva now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Biden should be glad the left has so little respect for him, or else we'd take the advice he keeps giving us and vote for Trump!

I think a lot of people here would be a lot happier if they stopped fighting against the obvious reality of the situation and stopped trying to bring the left on board with a party that actively loathes us, works harder to undermine us than they do their Cherished Colleagues to their right, and would gladly jettison every single one of us for a single forced birther pro-LGBT death camps op-ed writer, because they've spent the last 50 years getting rich as gently caress losing to and governing as Republicans. Exactly what in the gently caress has Pelosi done to impede or stonewall Trump? And Schumer's even worse!

Trump is awful but it's because to be President of the biggest rogue warlord nation in the world means you have to be awful. Once you remove optics from the calculus he's maybe the third worst President of my lifetime. Maybe another 4 years will rocket him up to first place, who knows, but I do know that with Biden as a nominee he's getting the chance

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pomp posted:

So stuck on Bernie they don't even realize they need to be arguing against Howie and la Riva now

And possibly Jesse Ventura.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

If you can’t see the difference between Republican and Democratic policies you just aren’t being honest with yourself.

If we have agreed that all voting is a compromise we are merely haggling over price and can at least agree everyone should shove the absolutist rhetoric over accepting lesser evil still being evil, etc.

Haggling over price? You think not consenting to human rights violations, the death of the planet, increasing poverty and a prison system openly designed to continue slavery of "haggling over price?" They won't even let us put healthcare on the table what the gently caress are you talking about

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

joepinetree posted:

No, you dumbass. Colorado voted on Super Tuesday. They assigned the statewide delegates obviously after that. The change in interpretation only became a thing AFTER Bernie suspended his campaign, as state conventions started, as the Bernie campaign chairs make clear:

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1254598129720143872

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1254621948237287430

There's a reason Bernie specifically said that he was suspending his campaign. Because the rule, which has been the same since 08, was interpreted to mean that suspending wasn't the same as withdrawing. But as state conventions start, it is clear that this year, and THIS YEAR only, they've decided to switch their interpretation that suspending=withdrawing.

New Hampshire, for example, interpreted the rules the same way as before and so Pete got state wide delegates there. It is places like CO and CA that have suddenly decided to interpret it differently.

EDIT: Rusty Hicks is the chair of CA DEM and you can see in that thread that he is arguing that the DNC rules mandate stripping Bernie of statewide delegates, but that is obviously a lie because Hillary got her CA at large delegates in 08.

I'm still not voting for either rapist, but I no longer hope Biden wins. The whole party can loving burn

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Starting to think this democracy thing might be overrated

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even mention how much of your taxes go to war mongering

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pomp posted:

Haggling over price? You think not consenting to human rights violations, the death of the planet, increasing poverty and a prison system openly designed to continue slavery of "haggling over price?"

Have you ever typed the phrase “Bernie is the compromise candidate”? Because that is exactly what compromise is.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yronic heroism posted:

If you have ever typed the phrase “Bernie is the compromise candidate,” yes. That is exactly what compromise is.

It's cool to not vote though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

yronic heroism posted:

If you have ever typed the phrase “Bernie is the compromise candidate,” yes. That is exactly what compromise is.

It sounds like compromise has accomplished gently caress all then.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

Are you aware you are a literal fascist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm still not voting for either rapist, but I no longer hope Biden wins. The whole party can loving burn

the two biggest blue states are striking Bernie from the ballot specifically to deny him even a tiny amount of leverage at the convention that they obviously plan to box him entirely out of despite his foolish and poorly timed endorsement and subsequent campaigning. I hope more states do it, I think it's important for the party to keep showing people what they're really about and the lengths they're willing to go to prevent even the most modest reforms