Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
My very first regular lizard Lord was called Katt'bak, which means "cat litter box" in Danish ("kattebakke"). My second favourite name was my Skink Chief hero Diqqee-dik. I sent him up to Repanse because it seemed appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I want to hear every pun name that works in a foreign language, I find it fascinating.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

OwlFancier posted:

The puns are in english, generally, so if it has some alternative meaning in dutch then that's a side effect.

In TWW2 there are tons of specifically Dutch ones, like "Kslaopumuil", with some apostrophes in there somewhere. "Ik sla op u(w) muil" Kinda Belgian sounding Dutch for "I'll punch your face". Definitely not a side effect.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mzuri posted:

My very first regular lizard Lord was called Katt'bak, which means "cat litter box" in Danish ("kattebakke"). My second favourite name was my Skink Chief hero Diqqee-dik. I sent him up to Repanse because it seemed appropriate.
It's "kattenbak" in Dutch. So far, I've also seen Cho'qomel (a chocolate milk drink), Qop'eraf ("kop eraf", which may be translated as "off with their head"), Onzinna'am ("onzinnaam", literally "nonsensical name"), and Besstel'bus ("bestelbus", i.e. "delivery van"). Oh yeah, and Dikkie Dik is a beloved cat that many a Dutch child grew up with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sombrerotron posted:

It's "kattenbak" in Dutch. So far, I've also seen Cho'qomel (a chocolate milk drink), Qop'eraf ("kop eraf", which may be translated as "off with their head"), Onzinna'am ("onzinnaam", literally "nonsensical name"), and Besstel'bus ("bestelbus", i.e. "delivery van"). Oh yeah, and Dikkie Dik is a beloved cat that many a Dutch child grew up with.
The joys of working from home - now I have to explain to my wife why I'm laughing my rear end off.

edit: there is also a Lizardman lord name like Turpentine and another similar to Polypropylene but I think those dutch names are way better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dick King was my first and favourite vampirate Admiral

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm playing elves for the first time (Dark variety) and I don't really understand how to use Bolt Throwers. They keep ending battles with the least kills in my entire army, even less than the tanking chaff and easily 1/4th of what any random unit of Darkshards get. I'm not exactly expecting them to match the ludicrous artillery of the stronger factions, but they're just useless atm. Half the time they can't even get 10 kills in a 20stack vs 20stack battle. Tried with single and multiple bolts, checking to make sure they're not being obstructed several times per battle...given the fact that their range is so low as well, are they purely for sniping single characters/monsters or something?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm playing elves for the first time (Dark variety) and I don't really understand how to use Bolt Throwers. They keep ending battles with the least kills in my entire army, even less than the tanking chaff and easily 1/4th of what any random unit of Darkshards get. I'm not exactly expecting them to match the ludicrous artillery of the stronger factions, but they're just useless atm. Half the time they can't even get 10 kills in a 20stack vs 20stack battle. Tried with single and multiple bolts, checking to make sure they're not being obstructed several times per battle...given the fact that their range is so low as well, are they purely for sniping single characters/monsters or something?

Using multiple shot mode really fucks up unit health and will injure them a ton

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Insurrectionist posted:

They shoot that the outside corner of units a lot which will lower their effectiveness some, try to make sure they're aiming at any overlapping units in the enemy army. Also if a lord starts up a tarpit with enemy infantry, shoot into that.

They're also good to just leave on a dangerous dinosaur/monster should one of those show up in single shot model something big that the bolt thrower can shoot at regardless of infantry LoS.

But honestly I kind of agree; I don't use them in my current Nagarythe game, I just opt for another high end archer which does roughly the same damage per shot but can also move around and do things besides shoot and hope the enemy cav doesn't get around back there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

At least for the high elves I get about ~40 kills per battle each with them. Obviously a lot less if you use them for sniping, and you do need to put them on guard mode and have the enemy come to you (which works well with swordmaster/sisters or lothern/archers armies, YMMV how it works for the dark elves).

e: May not apply to Nagarythe with their brokenly good faction archers.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 27, 2020

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh god I'm so bad at this game

I get my first pretty good run going with the High Elf wizard leader, doing great at expanding my empire and building a military but I just cannot keep pace on rituals with one faction. It's fine, I'll keep expanding and eventually try to crush them. Turn 110 and I'm looking at my quest log and there's one to construct a certain building that I never did, I'm trying to just clear it out of my log, searching through my town building lists, cannot find this building anywhere. Finally I google it.

It's the ritual resource building :negative:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TBH I have trouble keeping ahead of the Last Defenders as Lothern despite owning Ulthuan including the Norsca/unihabitable parts, the entire eastern seaboard down to Texas, Fortress of dawn + Patagonia and whatever the faction under Africa is. And I did build all the ritual buildings I could.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You can just ignore the rituals till the final battle if you really want to; or you can try and go out and snipe the ritual cities although that's usually more trouble than it's worth unless it's like right on your border already.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mazz posted:

They shoot that the outside corner of units a lot which will lower their effectiveness some, try to make sure they're aiming at any overlapping units in the enemy army. Also if a lord starts up a tarpit with enemy infantry, shoot into that.

They're also good to just leave on a dangerous dinosaur/monster should one of those show up in single shot model something big that the bolt thrower can shoot at regardless of infantry LoS.

But honestly I kind of agree; I don't use them in my current Nagarythe game, I just opt for another high end archer which does roughly the same damage per shot but can also move around and do things besides shoot and hope the enemy cav doesn't get around back there.

Cool, I guess I'll just try to micromanage their targets better. The biggest issue with that is they keep just wheeling around a lot since I just fight Tiranoc's hordes of horsemen all the time.

I installed CTT because I was tired of spamming range in every faction, but I kinda regret it now lol. My army just feels like it has 0 decent units instead of 1 decent unit now that Darkshards more resemble peashooters, not exactly impressed with 'improved' infantry...and I can't spam more Darkshards to make up for it either what with all the cavalry and lizard monsters running around Morathi's start.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool, I guess I'll just try to micromanage their targets better. The biggest issue with that is they keep just wheeling around a lot since I just fight Tiranoc's hordes of horsemen all the time.

I installed CTT because I was tired of spamming range in every faction, but I kinda regret it now lol. My army just feels like it has 0 decent units instead of 1 decent unit now that Darkshards more resemble peashooters, not exactly impressed with 'improved' infantry...and I can't spam more Darkshards to make up for it either what with all the cavalry and lizard monsters running around Morathi's start.
I use 4+ in all my DE or HE armies and have them fire multi-shot at clumps of infantry. Even if they dont get kills they often can do a lot of health damage to a unit such that when it gets shot by Darkshards or into melee, it gets messed up right quick. If there is a big single model unit to shoot at, they melt it super fast, which is a lot of fun vs dinos. Also useful against blobs of cav on single-shot. They can be somewhat ineffective against units that get spread out or have a wide formation, but I feel like they're murder against tight formation units.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In case anyone doesn't know you can hold alt to target ground with arty. It's very useful if you have an enemy blob bunched up on your line and you want to just give it little a mortaring, as a treat. Without hitting your own guys.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mazz posted:

You can just ignore the rituals till the final battle if you really want to; or you can try and go out and snipe the ritual cities although that's usually more trouble than it's worth unless it's like right on your border already.

sometimes you get lucky with interventions and catch the AI with its pants down

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh god I'm so bad at this game

I get my first pretty good run going with the High Elf wizard leader, doing great at expanding my empire and building a military but I just cannot keep pace on rituals with one faction. It's fine, I'll keep expanding and eventually try to crush them. Turn 110 and I'm looking at my quest log and there's one to construct a certain building that I never did, I'm trying to just clear it out of my log, searching through my town building lists, cannot find this building anywhere. Finally I google it.

It's the ritual resource building :negative:

this is me :doh:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is harder but more fun to go mess with the other races personally. Once you have your home territory on lock down you can just roam the map and beat up on everyone else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got my first ever actual campaign victory as Alith Anar. Took until turn 195 when the game was over almost 90 turns ago but hey I wanted to actually wipe out Malekith which involved sending an army all the way across the world to where he'd apparently confederated Madagascar. Repeating my earlier gripe I really wish they'd revamp the victory conditions so it comes to an actual climax, like in Shogun 2. I did have a fun battle with Chaos which involved my army teaming up with elf allies and Mazamundi which was a complete clusterfuck but also very cool, but then after basically one battle Chaos was hosed and it was back to smashing end turn until I got a single settlement from size 1 to 5 for the building I needed.

Thinking I might try vampirates next, havent done them at all. What's the tl'dr on their army lists and their faction leaders?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Overall: The DLC polish really shows and like Tomb Kings they're flat out better in the campaign than most factions. Defensive ranged army with weak front lines that get by mostly on undead leadership fight-until-dead mechanics. Most of it is very slow but they get loads of artillery and gunline toys and can use strong lords/heroes/monsters to reinforce. Raise Dead is amazing, spreading vampire corruption on higher difficulties for public order can be rough. LLs are Hordes with none of the weaknesses and can Encamp at 0% move. Get an alternative sack option(pirate coves) that mean you don't have to hold land if you don't want to. Ignore ritual entirely on Vortex. Natural aversion with most factions means diplomacy is tough. Amazing dilemma buffs. Always have the Queen Bess(ritual unit) in an active army.

Luthor: Good Lord and skill tree, big magic resists, random traits every 3-5+ish turns. May be a melee buff+rampage, may be fast+missile damage, may get a wind spell that can get triple digit kills. Has a very long(settlement 5 + 10 turns) quest to restore his mind and stop that. Very mediocre starting elites(a bloated corpse!?), Lustrian thunder dome and *must* fight Lizardmen, though you could abandon your starter if you really want to. Mount is a terrorgheist.

Aranessa: Decent melee Lord with great support skill and good tree, unique access to T2 frontline infantry that can get buffed hard in her own army and recruit out of every port city. ME is very different from Vortex(much harder imo), Vortex is another cozy start with two nearby options. Mount is a baby crab that prevents her from soloing walls during sieges.

Noctilus: Fool proof start. Can paint the map or roam and raid. Starts with a Necrofex. Can skill tree to field a cheese stack of them. Good caster lord, mount is also a Necrofex. You get the idea.

Cylostra: Ghost Lord with Ghost Hero to start, good caster lord, good extra summons(ghost Brett elite cavalry), variety of starting options. Fight Delves, Lizards or sail to Ulthuan! Mount is a leviathan.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 27, 2020

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
As far as I can tell there are only like 2 (maybe 3) races that are just zero fun to play rn. Wood elves because you are stuck in your forests and can only build fun things there, greenskins because your army units are boring af and suck entire rear end, and chaos because of similar ish reasons and very samey start locations. I have like 9 Mortal empire campaigns going and everyone else seems to rule.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

An easy way to drastically improve melee infantry is to set battle difficulty to normal, as anything above that severely buffs enemy troops while debuffing yours.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

Cylostra: Ghost Lord with Ghost Hero to start, good caster lord, good extra summons(ghost Brett elite cavalry), variety of starting options. Fight Delves, Lizards or sail to Ulthuan! Mount is a leviathan.
Her spells are bad, op. Lore of the Deeps seems pretty much useless to me and I cant find anyone that has anything positive to say about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It has a spell that summons a giant ghost pirate ship that rises from the ground to fire cannons at people?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Insurrectionist posted:

bolt throwers in shotgun mode do devastating hp damage but kill very few models unless the unit is low hp.

four will take an entire army to half health before they meet your lines. theyre ridiculously good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haven't played the game inam a minute. Is it just me, or is the Beastman campaign way harder now?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

It has a spell that summons a giant ghost pirate ship that rises from the ground to fire cannons at people?

Which is a terrible spell in multiplayer but can pretty much annihilate an entire frontline.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Her spells are bad, op. Lore of the Deeps seems pretty much useless to me and I cant find anyone that has anything positive to say about it.

The knight summon is really good but yeah that's basically it besides the accuracy buff which is very effective but also very boring.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lore of the Deep has a leadership/attack aoe debuff(a spell like this justifies any lore imo, can't miss and concrete effect, like little waaghs itchiness), summons, an easy to use cheap breath spell and Vargheist hits like Winds of Death. Cylostra herself gets the extra summon of cavalry in a faction that is notably slow. For campaign it is perfectly cromulent. Front lines engage, line up a three squad wipe. Vargheist is so good that as Luthor you should beeline to your hardest nearby fights when he switches to The Narcissist and can cast it.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

The knight summon is really good but yeah that's basically it besides the accuracy buff which is very effective but also very boring.
Oh yeah, I should have added on the whole her, her summon, and her ghost Paladin are awesome but Lore of the Deeps left me disappointed.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vangheist's Revenge is good enough by itself to make Deeps one of the best lores imo. It's basically just a reskinned version of the actual best spell in the game: Wind of Death. Crab summon is solid too.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Alright sounds like I need to play another vampirate game

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

Alright sounds like I need to play another vampirate game
Agreed, apparently I didnt try hard enough.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Cylostra has a hard start in mortal empires for lots of other reasons.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Noctilus is how you actually want Vampirates to play in that he’s a seafaring horde with no agenda besides sacking ports and taking booty

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I just finished playing a Luthor Harkon campaign and it felt like war with the Lizardmen in the interior was unavoidable. I didn't spend much time messing with anyone north of Mazdamundi except for sending a captain or two around to start vampirate fight clubs.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Count me as another who bought this when it was on sale recently... the free weekend confirmed this may in fact rival Shogun 2 which I rinsed completely... but yeah I’ve played about 7-8 campaigns now on the vortex map on hard/hard and I never make it past turn 20. Until I was scaven anyway and remembered I hate playing armies with no morale.

Maybe I’ll turn battles to normal... completely understand the need to give the AI buffs at the end of the day but I’m like 6 turns into a new game and can already see two stacks coming in after I just took out their main army. I’m not that efficient with my orders yet I guess.

So if I had one question, considering I mostly skipped Rome 2 and so on... is it important to build up the provinces with infrastructure buildings early on? I find myself holding back on building the +growth,income and order buildings even when having little else to build just in case I need that spot for something later. Not sure if this is leaving me hamstrung to get an extra army on the go ASAP

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CareyB posted:

Count me as another who bought this when it was on sale recently... the free weekend confirmed this may in fact rival Shogun 2 which I rinsed completely... but yeah I’ve played about 7-8 campaigns now on the vortex map on hard/hard and I never make it past turn 20. Until I was scaven anyway and remembered I hate playing armies with no morale.

Maybe I’ll turn battles to normal... completely understand the need to give the AI buffs at the end of the day but I’m like 6 turns into a new game and can already see two stacks coming in after I just took out their main army. I’m not that efficient with my orders yet I guess.

So if I had one question, considering I mostly skipped Rome 2 and so on... is it important to build up the provinces with infrastructure buildings early on? I find myself holding back on building the +growth,income and order buildings even when having little else to build just in case I need that spot for something later. Not sure if this is leaving me hamstrung to get an extra army on the go ASAP

would also appreciate any general advice, i'm a total war newbie and even on easy I feel like I'm just sort of flailing around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CareyB posted:

I would turn battle difficulty down to Normal for now. It can be different for everyone and while you're learning its probably better to leave it on Normal while you figure out the nuance of this game. You may want to do a few games on Normal campaign difficulty too while you figure out the ways the AI abuses certain things.

Yes, you want to prioritize growth early. Dont leave any building slots open unless you have a reason to leave open in sight; e.g. you are upgrading the capital to tier four and have three tier 4 buildings you want to build once the tier 4 capital building is done building, but this is a rare case. Small towns get growth then money then fort for me. Once the whole province is done upgrading the capital to tier 5 I replace the growth buildings with trade goods or military buildings. As you learn more about the game you can figure out your own way of doing it, of course.