Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

At my wife's former job, her colleague didn't understand why she had law school loans. They both went to the same law school. He went in early 90s and she went in 2010. He paid his entire tuition while working as a grocery store clerk. Dude was a poo poo head Libertarian who never thought to look up how much tuition had changed and just thought everyone was lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my student loans accrue interest at about 30% of my gross yearly income lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jen_rice_/status/1253900083868958720

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lmao of course kubosh is doing that

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

What the hell is wrong with Fat Col. Sanders

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I will say that while the base tuition rate has gone up, so too have the financial aid packages gone up in most institutions. Although admittedly I think net tuition revenue is still up overall.

Some of the reasoning behind the high sticker prices is to collect tuition dollars from students who don't qualify for need based aid, and use that money to subsidize the students who do with institutional aid.

In the absence of the government doing the needed redistribution, it falls instead to universities, and, well, we get stuff like this. :sigh:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sardonik posted:

I will say that while the base tuition rate has gone up, so too have the financial aid packages gone up in most institutions. Although admittedly I think net tuition revenue is still up overall.

Some of the reasoning behind the high sticker prices is to collect tuition dollars from students who don't qualify for need based aid, and use that money to subsidize the students who do with institutional aid.

In the absence of the government doing the needed redistribution, it falls instead to universities, and, well, we get stuff like this. :sigh:

In addition to that, a high percentage of "aid" is loans, not scholarships or grants.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Aren't those federal student loans and have nothing to do with the individual college?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poemdexter posted:

Aren't those federal student loans and have nothing to do with the individual college?

Correct. Things like UT's free tuition for students with a household income under $65k a year have nothing to do with student loans. There is a lot of additional aid going out that isn't loan-based.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

the right is loving pissed about Houston's mask thing, this is the new holocaust i guess

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Sir Tonk posted:

the right is loving pissed about Houston's mask thing, this is the new holocaust i guess

I live just north of Houston and when the mask order went out, you could just feel the contrarian energy in my area. Overnight it seemed like the percentage of people wearing masks in public went from like 50% to 20% It has been a very stark difference since then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

They're pretending they're pissed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The latest results of the UT politics tracking poll make for some interesting reading.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
They are so happy the mask thing goes them something tangible to be mad at. These guys live for outrage and they finally have something real they can direct it toward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abbott set to announce the re-opening stuff at 2:30

:unsmigghh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I live in way South Texas and to hear that the biggest cities in the state are only barely doing that is the biggest :wtc: to me. gently caress we can barely keep our own people here in the RGV from throwing BBQs and driveway parties. This poo poo is dire. Starr County just had it's first new case in 21 days while Hidalgo, and Cameron counties numbers keep climbing.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Sardonik posted:

I understand this reasoning, and it’s not entirely wrong, but I’m perpetually aggravated when higher ed administrators present this argument and nobody challenges it or adds much-needed context to show why this still isn’t good.

For starters,

mastajake posted:

In addition to that, a high percentage of "aid" is loans, not scholarships or grants.
I can’t speak to the UT system, but I know of some private universities that definitely count private student loans as “aid”, which makes for a pretty drat disingenuous definition of “aid”.

That aside, the extreme price discrimination that is made possible by establishing a high sticker price and then offsetting it with aid makes sense if your primary goal is to maximize tuition revenue from customers from every possible level of income, but it introduces a lot of problems because, in a just world, the primary goal of an institution of higher learning should not be maximizing tuition revenue from every possible level of income. Unless you clearly fall in a narrowly-defined low-income bucket (which is not always as clear as you would expect!) and qualify for free tuition, the process for determining what price you pay for a brand-name university is both arbitrary and opaque. A lot of kids who might succeed at a high-profile college don’t even bother trying to go because they have to navigate a byzantine system just to find out how much you might have to pay, and there’s no guarantees that your “aid” and the price will stay mostly the same for the four-ish years you’re there.

To give an idea of the kind of impact this price ambiguity has just on kids’ potential to apply to colleges: the University of Michigan started a program a few years back (called the HAIL program, if you want to google it) where they proactively reached out to some low-income high school students before they ever applied to UM, and pledged that they would get four years free tuition if they applied were accepted. They found that the students were then more than twice as likely to apply, and more than twice as likely to actually enroll when accepted.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, every time soaring tuition prices come up and I hear some higher-ed bureaucrat retort “but look how much financial aid we give away!”, my vision turns blood red and I start hearing that siren-like sound effect from Kill Bill.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Abbott is live now. Here's a link:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/governor-abbott-to-address-reopening-of-texas-economy-monday/2358748/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1254859065164886017

Yes time to make money at my restaurant that I can't have more than a quarter of my capacity at, so great are my margins.

Starting phase 2 today. I have no idea if these numbers are sufficient or what best practices are for test and tracing, but it's the absolute minimum for reopening the economy before a vaccine, so at least there's a plan for it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 27, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Phase 1: May 1

- retail, malls, movies, restaurants open, limited to 25% capacity (50% in counties with 5 or less active cases)
- supercedes all local orders

- museums and libraries open, but "interactive, hands-on" exhibits remain closed
- churches are allowed "expanding capacity"

-golf courses and tennis courts reopened - groups of no more than 4

-all licensed medical practitioners and hospitals reopen
-hospitals must retain and reserve 15% capacity for COVID-19 patients

Phase 2 penciled in for May 18, that phase may include barbershops, nail salons, gyms, bars

Summer camps may be allowed with increased precautions, guidance to come later

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

saintonan posted:

I think it was funny Abbott spent like 2-3 minutes on this, talking about how vital summer camps are for kids and how they're so critical to their development because he's probably heard nothing but screaming voicemails from constituents saying how they can't handle another second at home with their lovely loving kids. :lol:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

saintonan posted:

- retail, malls, movies, restaurants open, limited to 25% capacity (50% in counties with 5 or less active cases)

- museums and libraries open, but "interactive, hands-on" exhibits remain closed

Phase 2 penciled in for May 18, that phase may include barbershops, nail salons, gyms, bars

God this is going to end very badly.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

In Q&A Abbott has specifically mentioned that no jurisdiction can penalize anyone for not wearing a mask (i.e. Harris County).

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

God this is going to end very badly.

Bars? So Dirty 6th then? Certainly no problems there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There isn't a restaurant in the history of time that can make money on 25% capacity, these aren't drug cartel profits.

To me this seems a lot about getting out of the way, knowing that businesses won't open and customers won't go to businesses (which is what polling consistently shows), so he can say "Hey, it's not my fault if you don't open".

Mr. BT posted:

No bars, gyms, hair or nail salons.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Mr. BT posted:

What separates a bar from a restaurant was a question I had, though there may be different licensing for bars that serve food vs restaurants that serve alcohol. Bars will remain closed until at least phase 2, restaurants can open May 1.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I want to know how retail businesses are going to regulate what 25% capacity is. Are they going to have a bouncer at the door with one of those clickers letting people have a 1-in-1-out policy? Because I think most angry boomers I've seen are just going to storm the doors and not give a gently caress if anyone tries to stop them. Same thing for churches. I'd bet practically anything that the pews are going to be full up this Sunday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My family business is restaurants so I called my mom to ask if she could make money at one of her stores (they're retired now so it's hypothetical) at 25 percent capacity and she said no way. She told me she wouldn't open one with any capacity restrictions, because of enforcement questions as well as safety concerns, plus the razor thin margins almost all restaurants operate at

http://gov.texas.gov/opentexas

This is the detailed plan that probably answers a lot of our questions but it's absolutely swamped right now. I was literally typing in the url as Abbott said it and it was hosed that quickly

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1254859065164886017

Yes time to make money at my restaurant that I can't have more than a quarter of my capacity at, so great are my margins.

Starting phase 2 today. I have no idea if these numbers are sufficient or what best practices are for test and tracing, but it's the absolute minimum for reopening the economy before a vaccine, so at least there's a plan for it.

4000 contact tracers does not sound like enough for the entire loving state

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Badger of Basra posted:

4000 contact tracers does not sound like enough for the entire loving state

Well we're not doing (and dont plan to ever do) enough testing so it all balances out.

https://twitter.com/texaslippy/status/1254862380942544896

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FBS posted:

Well we're not doing (and dont plan to ever do) enough testing so it all balances out.

https://twitter.com/texaslippy/status/1254862380942544896

Well he only gives a poo poo about the ~55% of the population that voted for him so that checks out.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

My family business is restaurants so I called my mom to ask if she could make money at one of her stores (they're retired now so it's hypothetical) at 25 percent capacity and she said no way. She told me she wouldn't open one with any capacity restrictions, because of enforcement questions as well as safety concerns, plus the razor thin margins almost all restaurants operate at

http://gov.texas.gov/opentexas

This is the detailed plan that probably answers a lot of our questions but it's absolutely swamped right now. I was literally typing in the url as Abbott said it and it was hosed that quickly

I think it's just https://texas.gov/opentexas but you're right the whole site is unusable right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

saintonan posted:

oh gently caress off

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm really looking forward to HEB continuing to require masks for entry and some chud having a complete meltdown over it.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Xarthor posted:

I want to know how retail businesses are going to regulate what 25% capacity is. Are they going to have a bouncer at the door with one of those clickers letting people have a 1-in-1-out policy? Because I think most angry boomers I've seen are just going to storm the doors and not give a gently caress if anyone tries to stop them. Same thing for churches. I'd bet practically anything that the pews are going to be full up this Sunday.

That's what seems so clear when people want to compromise on it or leave it up to the discretion of businesses. If a waitstaff has to worry about tips again, can they take health and safety precautions without pissing off the kind of people who are insisting on going out right now? If the government is not going hard line or enforcing anything, how are businesses going to deal with irate people who demand their family get in right now? Even stores that want to require masks will get customers that go off on them, refuse, and leave negative reviews.

I wish the governments would take responsibility and stop leaving the responsibility to people with little power in enforcing public health when the governor and president won't.

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm really looking forward to HEB continuing to require masks for entry and some chud having a complete meltdown over it.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about. I could see them relenting because of conflict with customers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shifty Pony posted:

It probably makes me a bad leftist, but if HEB took over the state government I'd be okay with it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
they could be using microcenter as a model. You go check in on the web site, and can go in mask and disinfectant required when you get the text.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-texas-democrats-plan-to-pull-off-an-all-virtual-convention/

quote:

How Texas Democrats plan to pull off an all-virtual convention

The party plans to hold its virtual convention during the first week of June using two channels: One for official party business like voting on delegates and one with speakers, performances, and panels. The party is still in talks with the production company and the speakers about where the locations for the broadcast events, but the idea is to build a TV studio and control room to deliver the feed.

According to convention organizers, the "main stage" channel with speakers and panels will be broadcast on social media platforms such as Facebook. The party business will be conducted on a video chat platform like Zoom that will feature a grid of video boxes and allow participants to interact and ask questions.

The state party's executive director Manny Garcia hopes holding the convention online will allow more people to participate and engage in the state's politics.

One of the main functions of the state convention is to elect the 228 pledged national delegates who will represent Texas at the DNC convention. For voting on delegates and other party business, the state party has built out a system using Google Forms to insert preferences.

Voting will be divided up across multiple days, instead of the traditional one to two days of voting, so that users with varying technological equipment and expertise have the time to participate. Party officials said there will be testing and extensive training on the process ahead of the convention.

We'll see how this works!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

1stGear posted:

It probably makes me a bad leftist, but if HEB took over the state government I'd be okay with it.

HEB was more prepared than the people currently in charge of the federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HEB also wants to keep people alive since dead people don't buy groceries which is more than we can say about virtually any level of government in this state