Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

serious gaylord posted:

I liked it very much with the Isokaze. The Mutsukis awful 1 minute reload for 6 slow torpedos and poo poo rear end handling is terrible. I've not played a single game where I'd rather have had the Mutsuki instead of the Isokaze.

FreeXP past it. I don't think the IJN torp line has aged well though. The EU torpeboats are great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i assume i should be picking IFHE for any French and American cruiser captains, right?

No, French not at all - in the past, some would take it on Henri because with its 240mm guns it could end up penning 50mm decks found on Yamato, Izumo, GfK, etc, but with the IFHE nerf recently the hit to fire chance is not worth it. Below Henri all the ships are 203mm, which doesn't meaningfully benefit from IFHE in any way (the only threshold it crosses is 37mm, useful only for penning USN BB decks and not worth the tradeoff in fire chance). For American cruisers, the CL line can arguably still take it, although returns diminish at the higher tiers. In T10, a lot of battleships have more than 32mm of plating all over, and you're left debating in Worcester whether or not you want to cut your fire chance in half in order to pen French and UK BB decks in exchange? For the American CAs (the Des Moines line), it's the same story as the French - 203mm guns don't benefit at all from IFHE, never take it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
American high tier CL's absolutely want IFHE. Especially the Worcester. It starts a shitton of fires anyway and it has like 350k HE DPM that gets much less useful by only having 30mm pen. It's almost worth taking it just for penning BB bows and sterns, but you also get US, French and British BB decks and a bunch of other random upper belts and cruiser decks for free. The Russian BB's for example that are otherwise extremely resistant towards HE spam become vastly more vulnerable to it if you can target their bow and stern with IFHE.

In unrelated news, got out of the Sovetsky Soyuz (still below 45% win rate in the thing) and got into the Kremlin. Two games so far (both losses) and I can't say I'm impressed. Yes it's tanky but I really, really don't have problems with dying in BB's and on the whole I think I'd rather be playing the Montana, which is one hell of a lot more reliable when it comes to damage output.

e: yeah, this is a tremendously tedious ship. like, it's practically immune to BB AP in every meaningful way and it takes a lot less damage from HE spam than other BB's do but positioning in it loving sucks and the guns are unimpressive. gently caress this poo poo, give me accurate guns or give me death.

thunderer is v good though. very iowa-esque in playstyle, but better.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 27, 2020

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

TheFluff posted:

American high tier CL's absolutely want IFHE. Especially the Worcester. It starts a shitton of fires anyway and it has like 350k HE DPM that gets much less useful by only having 30mm pen. It's almost worth taking it just for penning BB bows and sterns, but you also get US, French and British BB decks and a bunch of other random upper belts and cruiser decks for free. The Russian BB's for example that are otherwise extremely resistant towards HE spam become vastly more vulnerable to it if you can target their bow and stern with IFHE.

In unrelated news, got out of the Sovetsky Soyuz (still below 45% win rate in the thing) and got into the Kremlin. Two games so far (both losses) and I can't say I'm impressed. Yes it's tanky but I really, really don't have problems with dying in BB's and on the whole I think I'd rather be playing the Montana, which is one hell of a lot more reliable when it comes to damage output.

e: yeah, this is a tremendously tedious ship. like, it's practically immune to BB AP in every meaningful way and it takes a lot less damage from HE spam than other BB's do but positioning in it loving sucks and the guns are unimpressive. gently caress this poo poo, give me accurate guns or give me death.

A lot of much better CL players than you and I call it debatable now. Debatable does mean "yes there are upsides" but also "there are significant downsides". It's definitely debatable.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

toadee posted:

A lot of much better CL players than you and I call it debatable now. Debatable does mean "yes there are upsides" but also "there are significant downsides". It's definitely debatable.

Which sounds like the magical force called balance arrived in one area of the game then.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

I did weirdly bad in the Sinop, a battleship that is pretty much the best tier 7 BB. I don't know why it just would never click with me, it felt like any game I was doing well would be one where the team would collapse, when I was doing poor, we'd sweep the enemy team. I've been doing much better in the Vlad.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CitizenKain posted:

I did weirdly bad in the Sinop, a battleship that is pretty much the best tier 7 BB. I don't know why it just would never click with me, it felt like any game I was doing well would be one where the team would collapse, when I was doing poor, we'd sweep the enemy team. I've been doing much better in the Vlad.

It's part of the issue with the game lately for me; you can do very loving well lately and often it won't matter. It's I think been worse since the pandemic lowered the average player's skill, which is ungodly annoying.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

Would it help if I prefixed every single one of my opinions with "I think"? I could see it being debatable if you know roughly what you're going up against, but in randoms I'll take IFHE every time. Fires are overrated anyway.

e: aren't we debating it right now anyway

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 27, 2020

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I recently tried Worcester both with and without IFHE, and without IFHE generally did more damage. This is sort of a useless debate to have, though, because there's no reason to use Worcester in 2020 and no other high tier cruiser takes it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Hold on, Worcester doesn't pen US BB decks with IFHE. It gets 37mm, not 38. Only the NC has 37mm and it's getting buffed to 38 next patch anyway. Guess I'll have to try without IFHE.

davejk posted:

I recently tried Worcester both with and without IFHE, and without IFHE generally did more damage. This is sort of a useless debate to have, though, because there's no reason to use Worcester in 2020 and no other high tier cruiser takes it.

I dunno, smoke camping doesn't really do it for me so the Worcester is my favorite HE spamming cruiser at T10 (Des Moines doesn't count, if you don't fire like 50% AP in the DM you're probably doing something wrong). It's much more satisfying to be an obnoxious jerk by finding a perfectly sized rock to hide behind than it is to press a button to do it. Also all that utility.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 27, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TheFluff posted:

Hold on, Worcester doesn't pen US BB decks with IFHE. It gets 37mm, not 38. Only the NC has 37mm and it's getting buffed to 38 next patch anyway. Guess I'll have to try without IFHE.

Yeah that's pretty much it. The bonus from IFHE only matters against BBs since there isn't any relevant cruiser armor between 30 and 37 mm, and (at least on NA) your average for a 5 BB tier 10 match is something like 1 GK, 1 Yamato, 2 from Kremlin/Ohio/Montana, and 1 from Conqueror/Thunderer/Republique/Bourgogne. So you have one ship covered in 32 mm, one Yamato with 32 mm upper belt, two ships with 32 mm bow and stern, and one GK with basically no 32 mm. Even against the ships with 32 mm armor, you're probably shooting the superstructure most of the time, and if they broadside you can penetrate the 32 mm sections with AP.

It's not so much about the fire chance nerf as the buff to base HE penetration. It used to be that without IFHE you did nothing to cruisers and so it helped you against most of the enemy team, but now it's only BBs and not even all of them. If IFHE still brought you from 24 mm to 32 mm I would take it on all the same ships, even with the fire chance reduction.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Took 3 games to get a win in my Neptune, I used to like this ship too, but anymore its a chore to play. Just so much radar hanging around. Last game had a cyclone too, which is a fun way to get immediately sent back to port.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 28, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
23 days of heroic shock labor have unlocked Moskva, now I only need to secure the foreign currency reserves to buy one :ussr:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

23 days of heroic shock labor have unlocked Moskva, now I only need to secure the foreign currency reserves to buy one :ussr:

You don't actually need to buy it, as long as you have it unlocked you'll get the premium version in a bit more than a month.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I believe you but I’m superstitious.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I reinstalled this and started playing again due to the roni. Last time I played the russian ships had just come out and I had tier 4-6 ships, but I have no clue what is good now. I enjoyed torpedoing people with the russian and japanese low-tier destroyers, what's the most fun brawling ships I should be going for now that there's like 9 factions?

Not necessarily married to just torping people, but anything at face range I found to be the most fun.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
anyone else having trouble with server connectivity this morning (us east coast time)?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i assume i should be picking IFHE for any French and American cruiser captains, right?

It depends for 152mm guns it's worth it, but rarely otherwise.

Little White Mouse isn't of course the ultimate arbiter of World of Warships, but she's pretty drat knowledgeable, and she made a good list of recommendations on when to take and not take IFHE.

Short version? It's rarely worth taking.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/213359-ifhe-all-night-long/

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 28, 2020

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

I reinstalled this and started playing again due to the roni. Last time I played the russian ships had just come out and I had tier 4-6 ships, but I have no clue what is good now. I enjoyed torpedoing people with the russian and japanese low-tier destroyers, what's the most fun brawling ships I should be going for now that there's like 9 factions?

Not necessarily married to just torping people, but anything at face range I found to be the most fun.

I started playing again a few months ago after taking a few years hiatus. I've personally been enjoying French battleships and the new Swedish destroyers. I've read that the Russian battleships are brawlers, though.

Also: how does one build a French DD captain? I'm at the Guepard and I put the fancy Charles-Henri Honore guy on it for the turret speed boost and the adrenaline rush boost.

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
thanks for IFHE advice friends! i will take it on my US CLs but not on my French doods

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Minenfeld! posted:

I started playing again a few months ago after taking a few years hiatus. I've personally been enjoying French battleships and the new Swedish destroyers. I've read that the Russian battleships are brawlers, though.

Also: how does one build a French DD captain? I'm at the Guepard and I put the fancy Charles-Henri Honore guy on it for the turret speed boost and the adrenaline rush boost.

Best option is probably to go all in on the guns - PT/PM, LS/AR, SE/BFT/SI, AFT - and play them like the Khabarovsk line. On the lower tiers you can get the concealment down to a sort of acceptable level (below 7km) with a concealment build but it's probably not worth it.

Related to the IFHE discussion I'm now thinking I might try the Kitakaze without IFHE as well. It'd give me SI which is pretty appealing because of the extra smoke. It's so nice to be able to farm Jean Bart noses though...

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 28, 2020

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Since I didn't have any other collections remaining to work on I intentionally didn't use duplicates to complete the American Cruisers collection and have just been amassing duplicates while waiting for it to drop. 190 duplicates later today I finally got the last one via a crate.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im playing this game rather than tanks at the moment and im having that newbie error run where I just do stupid things. I know im doing a stupid thing but its a bit harder to get out of stupid things in boats than tanks.

Also the Omaha is my cursed ship. Keep doing 50 and 60k games that are losses. My wins are like 10k games.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Best option is probably to go all in on the guns - PT/PM, LS/AR, SE/BFT/SI, AFT - and play them like the Khabarovsk line. On the lower tiers you can get the concealment down to a sort of acceptable level (below 7km) with a concealment build but it's probably not worth it.

If they're willing to reset the commander, the ambush playstyle from the old Flamu Kleber videos works well on the DDs up to tier 8 (better than it did on Kleber before the concealment nerf), and concealment is nice to have on the ships below tier 8 since you have to get pretty close to hit things with your catapults. I don't know if ambushing in the mid tiers is optimal either, but it's fun and it's something different at least.

Being stuck with concealment on the Kleber isn't the worst. It's kind of wasted points since 1 km of concealment is mostly irrelevant if you play it the recommended way, but the ship is still good.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 29, 2020

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I keep getting disconnected several times a day on the NA server. Not my home internet or laptop, seems to be just Warships. Anyone else having this issue? Is it just server overload? Real loving annoying

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

crazyivan45 posted:

I keep getting disconnected several times a day on the NA server. Not my home internet or laptop, seems to be just Warships. Anyone else having this issue? Is it just server overload? Real loving annoying

Like when you're in a battle? I haven't heard anything about server instability at the moment.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I had a similar problem, eveything worked but warships kept lagging and was losing connection. I replaced my ethernet cable and the problem went away.

Also verify your installation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Love to land 6 torps on a Tirpitz in the first 5 minutes and get a cool 60k damage.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Man I've grown to love the Ibuki. It still is a floating citadel but with the 2 range upgrades you are in a much better position to dictate the engagements. 9.9km concealment also helps a lot. Definitely enjoy it much more than 155mm Mogami.

Can't wait for the Zao since it should just be a straight upgrade over the Ibuki.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
8 straight wins in ranked. Not bad. Legendary mod Des Moines loves arms race, it's the perfect mode for it. Finished up the evening with a 165k damage random battle win in the Georgia where a pubbie Conqueror on the enemy team complained about how he had gotten 276k damage and still lost. Cry me a river buddy, you only got 1500 base XP which probably means you were farming fire damage on T8 BB's just as you'd expect from a British BB player. No wonder you lost. Come talk to me when you've gotten over 2000 base XP on a loss.

Junkozeyne posted:

Man I've grown to love the Ibuki. It still is a floating citadel but with the 2 range upgrades you are in a much better position to dictate the engagements. 9.9km concealment also helps a lot. Definitely enjoy it much more than 155mm Mogami.

Can't wait for the Zao since it should just be a straight upgrade over the Ibuki.

I've done well in it because it does have some useful traits, but I still maintain it's a terrible ship. I don't run range upgrade because the ballistics are basically the same as the American 203mm and that means you ain't hitting poo poo at 17km or more. It also badly needs DPM since to swing games you need to do more than just sit back and farm battleships from long range. Doing that takes too long and games don't tend to be long these days. Gotta get in there with that concealment and surprise some nerds.

The 155mm Mogami is just loving terrible and I have no idea why people think it's such a fun ship. It's like they've never seen a high DPM HE spammer before, and then they inevitably go and run the slot 5 rudder mod meme build on it. The 155mm Mogami is just a very bad imitation of the Cleveland that is worse in pretty much every single possible way, and with some almost crippling weaknesses like the terrible citadel shape and the suicidal turret angles, and it still has worse DPM and fire chance than the Cleveland. I hate that ship so much.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2020

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Never mind

crazyivan45 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 30, 2020

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
155 Mogadishu IMO gets its reputation from when it could use AFT and how pre-IFHE changes 155 passed the magic threshold to pen t7 bb plate.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Ran the install validator, no issues, was in port for about 5 minutes before it sent me back to the login screen. Ran wg’s issue detector thing and sent them a report, updated all my drivers, uninstalled it, currently reinstalling. I think I’ve had to do this before

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Well, that was easier than expected:

Played 7 games in the Des Moines, 2 in the Thunderer and one each in the Worcester, Gearing, Yamato and Moskva. Thunderer is easy mode but I'd say the legmod DM is actually better for this. More carry potential, but less safe. Fortunately I only had one game where a Hakuryu went for me but by the time he got me we'd already secured a good advantage so we won anyway.

People seem to have no idea what to do in arms race, it's very common to see them either head for the map edges and then try to yolo in last minute when the key area appears, or they get super horny for buffs and do mad rushes for them. Both of those leads to some real juicy Des Memes Moments. The matches also have a surprising number of hapless tech tree T9's as well as some credit farmers in T9 premiums. I love arms race, it's a pity it's not around more often.

wdarkk posted:

155 Mogadishu IMO gets its reputation from when it could use AFT and how pre-IFHE changes 155 passed the magic threshold to pen t7 bb plate.

Right, that makes some sense.

crazyivan45 posted:

Ran the install validator, no issues, was in port for about 5 minutes before it sent me back to the login screen. Ran wg’s issue detector thing and sent them a report, updated all my drivers, uninstalled it, currently reinstalling. I think I’ve had to do this before

If it's throwing you to the login screen rather than crashing outright I'd suspect it's a connectivity issue. That's just a hunch though.

e: unrelated: I've seen the player hidden_DEs_MOiNes before and chuckled at the name but never looked up the stats before. 9370 battles, basically all solo, and 9050 of them are in the Des Moines. Which he has a 63% win rate in. I have nothing but the utmost respect for this gimmick.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 30, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drat. That takes dedication.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Dm is just the best and this game mode shows it off perfectly. Once you proc Halsey and get a couple reload buffs you start cranking out shells every 3 seconds and it's just loving nuts.

I don't think I've ever had more than a couple 4k base xp games but I already had two of them just earlier today. CVs have also been blessedly rare.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 1, 2020

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Came back to this game after like 2 years and I had forgotten how much fun it is. I mostly did cruisers and DDs before, but I only ever tinkered with battleships. All of the low level ones feel clunky- highest one I've gotten so far is T4. I'm assuming they get better, because every other ship I've played does. What would be a good line for an absolute moron at boats that hopefully won't be nerfed into the ground as soon as I get somewhere up in the higher tiers?

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Got a response from wargaming that the problem was on my end (they gave me a graph which shows red stuff). I turned off the frakin xfinity router based firewall and so far so good. Fingers crossed

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kinetica posted:

Came back to this game after like 2 years and I had forgotten how much fun it is. I mostly did cruisers and DDs before, but I only ever tinkered with battleships. All of the low level ones feel clunky- highest one I've gotten so far is T4. I'm assuming they get better, because every other ship I've played does. What would be a good line for an absolute moron at boats that hopefully won't be nerfed into the ground as soon as I get somewhere up in the higher tiers?

Battleships are all kinda clunky until tier 7 really. US and Russia probably have the best all around BB's. Germans are tankier (to a certain extent), but have meh guns. British ships can use HE rounds to better effect then others. French ships go for smaller guns but more of them. IJN ships are a usually better at a distance, but not too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

CitizenKain posted:

Battleships are all kinda clunky until tier 7 really. US and Russia probably have the best all around BB's..

I just went from t6 to 7 and I don't think I've ever felt such a wildly different gameplay shift as when I left the Colorado to the NC. God drat that thing was a chonk.

That Russian DD guide from unicum someone linked was great, but one thing I was curious about is everything I've read seems to point to IFHE being a poor choice on russian DDs (AFT seems a lot more important since apparently IFHE doesn't do as much for russian guns?) but it's recommended in all of their builds and they obviously know their poo poo. Any thoughts on that? Most forum posts I'm finding have back and forth arguments about russian DD guns being 130mm which makes AFT the better choice and little consensus but a very vocal "don't take IFHE over AFT" argument from the dedicated line players. I haven't played other DD lines past t5 so I don't know how to compare them myself, really.

Also not sure I'm using shells correctly. Basically I HE on destroyers and long range/angled targets or to set them on fire initially, and AP when/if I can get a shot at broadside superstructures. Anyone have some good insight here because I'm getting a lot of the same general DD threads when I search but it always seems to devolve into "Russian DDs are different!" arguments

I always thought their AP was their defining feature but I guess I'm mixing that up with France. Pretty sure french DDs weren't even a thing last time I played so who knows