Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For the first goon-AC event what does everyone think of some 80's F1 cars on a classic track or two?

I was thinking 1986 F1 on Old Hockenheim and Imola? If everyone wants that I can stick the cars and tracks in a zip so everyone has them. What's a good time? I'm home pretty much all the time right now so anytime is good for me.

GhostDog posted:

I'd be happy to either link your thread or put your mod collection directly into the OP if you want. I also finally started updating the OP to get AMS2, ACC and so on in but it's gonna be a while yet because I really want to redo it instead of just adding a couple games.

I did host a few AC races a few years back, and maybe it'll be better today but back then participation was always an issue. I'll join if it's EU friendly times.

Thanks. The mod collection is a couple hundred GB so I'm not gonna share the files in one big blob, but I figured I'd post a list so people know what's available so we can choose some fun events. It's going to take a while because it's 1400 cars and 500 tracks and I am trying to find a way to export a list (aside from just a crappy directory listing that isn't very descriptive)

How to modernize Assetto Corsa

Assetto Corsa is still being developed for by the modding scene and they've done a great job at making it look a lot nicer and adding new features like weather, day/night cycle, animated track objects, etc. You'll need 4 things for this:
1. A copy of the game ($20 on Steam or $40 with all the DLC)
2. Content Manager (a new launcher / mod installer / server browser https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html )
3. Custom Shaders Patch (this enables new shaders and lights and lots of new mod tracks don't work without it)
4. Sol (this is a pretty good simulation of the sun and different skies, it's really cool)
5. Optional extras (things that get rid of some annoyances)

1. First install the game. I'll leave that up to you.

2. Then install Content Manager. I highly recommend the full version but you won't need it for this. The full version is a pay what you want donation. I unzip it to c:\accm and run it from there.

Fire up content manager and if it doesn't find AC, point it to where it's installed. It should just find it though.

3. Download the custom shaders patch ( https://acstuff.ru/patch/?get=0.1.49 ) and drop it's zip on top of the running Content Manager window.

The hamburger button menu in the upper right will turn green. Click on that and find the mod at the bottom of that menu and click install.

4. Download Sol ( https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sol.24914/ )

Open that zip and go into the MODS\Sol 1.5.1 folder. You should find 4 folders (apps, content, extension, and system) along with a description.jsgme file. Ignore the jsgme file and drag those 4 folders into your Assetto Corsa install directory (usually c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa) and choose to overwrite all files.

In Content Manager go to Settings->Custom Shaders Patch->Lighting FX and change brightness to 100%.

In Content Manager go to Settings->Assetto Corsa->Video and in the Post Processing section change the filter to __Sol

This is the bare minimum to get it up and running and it will look much better than it used to, and the Content Manager UI is much better than the regular game's UI. To take it for a test drive in Content Manager go to Drive->Single, and then select a track and a car. Change the time to whatever you want. Change the weather to any option underneath the Sol entry. Then click Go! in the lower right. If everything was installed right you should be all set.

5. Now some optional stuff.
First, get this. It changes the texture for broken/cracked windshields to look less lovely
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/hd-windshield-damage.10965/

There's tons of visual things to tweak under Settings->Custom Shaders Patch. First I recommend downloading car and track configs which will make things look even nicer.

You do that with the Cars Configs, Cars Textures, Cars VAO, Tracks Configs, and Tracks VAO sections. Just go to each section, click the 3 dots in the upper-rightish and there should be an entry in that menu for "Download ## items." Click that and it will download the stuff for all of the cars and tracks you already have installed. Do that with each of those sections and I also recommend having "install automatically" checked too for those so if you ever get mod cars and tracks you won't need to download these again, it will automatically download them the first time you use the car/track. These configs do a lot of things but since Sol/Custom Shaders Patch has tweaked the Assetto Corsa engine to display multiple light sources instead of just one, these configs tell AC where the new light sources come from (like turn signals, dashboard lights, trackside lights, etc) and also generally make things on tracks and cars look better.

Underneath those options are all the extensions like Lighting FX, Grass FX, etc. These all add new effects to the game like way better smoke, lighting, grass, etc. Each one takes a little bit of performance so find the right balance.

If you want to install mod cars or tracks it's super easy with content manager. You just download the mod, drag it's zip file on top of the running Content Manager window and go to the hamburger menu to install it. It can detect whether it's a skin, car, track, or plugin, so it knows what to do with it automatically.

To play online in Content Manager there is a server browser you go to by going to Drive->Online. This should list all of the active servers that are connected up to the Kunos matchmaking server and you can filter on all kinds of stuff to find the right server.

This should be enough to get started!

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I did a quick patch job and pasted it into the Assetto Corsa mods section, gonna integrate it better with a proper OP overhaul.

In regards to the first event, 80's F1 cars are great but can be a pretty big turn off for new players I think in terms of difficulty, and you end up with people doing laps by themselves pretty quick. If you wanna stick with it I would exchange Old Hockenheim for Old Kyalami though.

Maybe put three cars classes to vote and then just select fitting tracks? Maybe add something easier like a cup car: Mazda, TT, the Mini from Shaun Clarke, stuff like that. That fits shorter tracks (Knockhill, Okayama Piper, Putnam and so on) so people will at least see each other on track :)

Edit: Also, 500 tracks seems a bit quantity over quality if you don't mind me saying so.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 27, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Tatuus is a great car for newcomers, it's got all the open wheel flair but stops quick, turns quick and sticks to the ground so you can fling it into corners easily

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GhostDog posted:

I did a quick patch job and pasted it into the Assetto Corsa mods section, gonna integrate it better with a proper OP overhaul.

In regards to the first event, 80's F1 cars are great but can be a pretty big turn off for new players I think in terms of difficulty, and you end up with people doing laps by themselves pretty quick. If you wanna stick with it I would exchange Old Hockenheim for Old Kyalami though.

Maybe put three cars classes to vote and then just select fitting tracks? Maybe add something easier like a cup car: Mazda, TT, the Mini from Shaun Clarke, stuff like that. That fits shorter tracks (Knockhill, Okayama Piper, Putnam and so on) so people will at least see each other on track :)

Excellent suggestions. These 80's F1 cars aren't that hard to drive though but you're right we should lead up to them!

I'm sifting through all the cars right now looking for good ones. I like the idea of short tracks too.

And yeah 500 tracks is a ton. A lot of 'em are terrible.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Please send help. Earlier this year I bought a GTOmega Cockpit. Earlier today I won three auctions of 15 series T-slot aluminum extrusion to build something better with.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

What about this selection of cars? Some are faster than each other but most are within 3 sec of each other around Okayama Piper. Which ones should we take out? The RS200 and the GNX were the only ones that didn't feel competitive during qualifying, and in the race the RS200 is much faster than everything else. The VW's weren't competitive.

This was years 1980-1989 top speed between 200-250 with the class of "street"

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 28, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr. Powers posted:

Please send help. Earlier this year I bought a GTOmega Cockpit. Earlier today I won three auctions of 15 series T-slot aluminum extrusion to build something better with.

When you're setting fire to money like that you know you're properly settled in the hobby.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

njsykora posted:

When you're setting fire to money like that you know you're properly settled in the hobby.

To be fair, it ended up being a pretty killer deal on the aluminum stock.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I vote the first goon AC race is NA MX-5s around Targa Florio for 1 lap

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I'd be down for some Goon AC. Crazy F1 cars with 19 pages of setup should be avoided if we want to be friendly to everyone. Short tracks with less adrenaline-based cars would likely be best. The modded Skip Barber is fun, as are the Caterhams. Either of these on Brands Hatch Indy or Donington or Okayama Piper are great fun.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/skip-barber-for-assetto-corsa.26791/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-academy-2017.17855/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park.3031/

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So uh.. how decently does AC run on an i7-930 paired with a 1080?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm on a i7-7700 and a 1080, with custom shader patch and Sol I have it locked at 90FPS at 3680x1440 and mostly the highest settings. CPU is only an issue if you run with lots of AI or badly optimized mod cars with no LODs in my experience.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I ran AC at 60fps on a 750Ti.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
AC scales really well too, there are good graphics options to tweak that enable it to run on almost anything

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Hello friends,

Apologies if this is a repeat post, I skimmed the OP and the last few pages and couldn't see anything.

I'm looking to get back into sim racing after a few years out and I'm window shopping wheels, trying to decide between a but one of my big concerns is noise. I had a G25 back in the day (technically still do, but I can't get to where it's stored right now) and between the sometimes concerning grinding sounds from the wheel base and the loud thwack every time you come off the pedals quickly, that poo poo was loud as hell.

I currently live on the 1st floor of a building with terrible sound insulation, and I'd like to not piss my downstairs neighbour off. Does anyone have a feeling for how noisy a T300 or G29 would be, vs. a very tired & grindy G25? I have a plan to try and isolate my desk + pedals as much as possible but I'd still like to limit the amount of sound, and if one of those options is noticeably quieter than the other then it would be a lot better for me.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I don’t think the G29 is much different from a G27. And my G27 is loud as hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One of the major notable improvements from the G25 to the G27 was a massive reduction in noise, like the noise the G25 made was ungodly. With that said gear driven wheels (which all Logitechs are) are going to be inherently kinda loud, though I can't say I notice a huge amount of noise from my G29.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah the G25 had straight cut gears the 27 had helical gears so it was quieter.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

njsykora posted:

One of the major notable improvements from the G25 to the G27 was a massive reduction in noise, like the noise the G25 made was ungodly. With that said gear driven wheels (which all Logitechs are) are going to be inherently kinda loud, though I can't say I notice a huge amount of noise from my G29.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah the G25 had straight cut gears the 27 had helical gears so it was quieter.

This explains a lot, I didn't realise they were straight cut but I had no other point of reference. And yeah my G25 is biblically loud, plus out of the box and forever after it was louder spinning CCW than CW. :shrug:

That's good to know though that basically anything modern I get will be quieter. I'm still torn, the G29 wheel looks goofy as hell to me but has more buttons. I'm struggling to find a T300 3-pedal kit in stock anywhere, but I'll keep digging.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m still using ye olde dfgt and i’d love to upgrade to something less creaky/rattly but it looks like basically if i want any kind of shift knob at all it’s going to be an h-shifter that costs like $150 on top of the $400 wheel and pedals. is there anything like the dfgt on the market anymore that just offers a basic wheel/pedals/sequential shifter combo for less than the cost of an entire game console?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jammyozzy posted:

This explains a lot, I didn't realise they were straight cut but I had no other point of reference. And yeah my G25 is biblically loud, plus out of the box and forever after it was louder spinning CCW than CW. :shrug:

That's good to know though that basically anything modern I get will be quieter. I'm still torn, the G29 wheel looks goofy as hell to me but has more buttons. I'm struggling to find a T300 3-pedal kit in stock anywhere, but I'll keep digging.

The T300 F1 wheel has enough buttons that I was able to quit using my button box actually. Fantastic wheel for anything with about a 270 degree turn-to-turn or less

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The T300 F1 wheel has enough buttons that I was able to quit using my button box actually. Fantastic wheel for anything with about a 270 degree turn-to-turn or less

That's a lotta buttons!

What's dumb is I managed fine with 2 on the G25, plus the rest in a really un-ergonomic spot behind the shifter, but now I'm coveting one wheel over the other because it has a dial I never knew I wanted or something.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the knobs on that thing functional or just decorative? I had a different rim for my tx for a while that had a knob but it was really just two buttons. Turn it all the way left for one action, all the way right for the other, and it would bounce back to center when you let go of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My t300 was loads quieter than the Logitech. I really wish I didn't have 2 poo poo the bed on me kuz they're nice wheels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

Are the knobs on that thing functional or just decorative? I had a different rim for my tx for a while that had a knob but it was really just two buttons. Turn it all the way left for one action, all the way right for the other, and it would bounce back to center when you let go of it.

The knobs immediately around the Ferrari logo are decorative and molded into the faceplate.

The three switches on the bottom labeled “BO” “Start” and “wet” are all two way switches but only activate one button regardless of which way you push the switch.

The two dpads are exactly what you’d expect and the Dif In and Chrg knobs are both two way rotary knobs that endlessly rotate. They have detents in the rotation to know when you’ve activated the button. Rotating one way activates a button over and over, rotating the other activates another over and over, so combined they count for 4 buttons. These work best for scrolling thru blackboxes, I find, in both GT Sport and iracing.

The rest of the buttons are just normal buttons.

The only other weird thing is the shifter paddles are actually one big paddle that’s hinged in the middle, so when you are using one hand to mess with buttons and knobs, the other hand can both push and pull on the shifter to up and downshift. In reality this is the “I’m scratching my head and I need to shift” feature.

So all in all 23 buttons and the shifters plus the R3/L3 buttons on the wheelbase itself

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

fwiw, there is enough room in the Ferrari wheel to add encoders to the center dials, cut them free, and make them usable. SimracingNC of YouTube did that to his.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

List of stupid design decisions on the TM F1 wheel.

I bought one of these on craigslist for 100 bucks thinking it was the answer to all my prayers. After about 3 weeks of trying to make it a better option for me than the GT wheel that came with my T300 I decided the above list was just too many paper cuts. And frankly, there's enough buttons on the Playstation GT wheel to do most everything I do during a race (and a few other bits and bobs that I use AutoHotKey to solve for me). Happily enough, I found some other sucker fellow sim enthusiast to take it off my hands for the same 100 bucks.

It really is a very average wheel with a bunch of really dumb aspects that could have made it well worth 100 or even 150 had they not just gone for the Ferrari cash grab. I mean come on... there's more fake controls on that thing than real controls.

Fake Edit: If you have the patience to mod this wheel, more power to you. :D

Real Edit: Out of curiosity I went looking for this youtube video. He didn't mod the wheel so much as gutted it and used the electronics on a completely new wheel housing. Seems like that's not worth the time nor money to me unless someone gives you the wheel gratis (which I wouldn't find surprising). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvPVMp5L1g

Final Edit: It took him 9 months! *cries*

Essobie fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 30, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, the fake knobs dont bother me because I went in knowing they were fake.

If you want a wheel with a ton of buttons and you drive cars that use that style of wheel it is very needs suiting? :iiam:

Maybe id be more pissed if I payed MSRP for mine, but I got it for $60 on ebay.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Since we're back on wheel chat I wanted to know the best way to piece meal a setup for PC. Now that I'm home all day I whipped up a rig with an old car seat and want to upgrade from my T150 to something I'll be happy with pretty much forever. I want to get the Fanatec LC pedals since they seem like the best bang for buck in terms of quality pedals with a LC, but I'm not thrilled with dropping 700 more bucks for their entry level wheel. But it seems like the mid level belt-driven wheels are hard to find, and you're still paying for a set of poo poo pedals that won't get used.

Is the best method really to just scour ebay and craigslist? I've been checking regularly and have seen nothing but G29s locally for over a year, and have reservations about getting an abused one off ebay. Any thoughts on how to get a decent wheel by itself? Or should I just suck it up and get the Fanatec bundle since I'm hoping this will be the last set of hardware I buy? Or should I forget the Fanatec pedals and get a Thrustmaster bundle with their LC upgrade (again, seems really hard to find a good bundle deal)?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think right now is a bad time to buy used, the supply chains were down and interest in sim racing went up so prices might be a bit out of whack.

I can only say that I've been happy with my CSWv2 for a long time now and feel the money was well spent, and given the high resell value of sim racing equipement I think - provided you have the cash lying around - you're probably not going to lose much even if you decide to drop the hobby in a year.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Immolat1on posted:

Now that I'm home all day I whipped up a rig with an old car seat and want to upgrade from my T150 to something I'll be happy with pretty much forever.

:3: I thought this when I bought my 80/20 rig and CSW gear

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NtotheTC posted:

:3: I thought this when I bought my 80/20 rig and CSW gear

I thought this when I bought my GTOmega cockpit a few months ago.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
PC2 is on a steam sale for a days at 80% off. Is it worth picking up? It's pocket change but even so, there's no point if I end up barely playing it and it does sound like a fairly flawed game. I've still got most of AC to play around with first; it there anything unique enough about PC2 that when I do get to fire up the wheel, I'd want to go with PC2 over AC?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Rain, I guess.

But I'd probably rather go for AMS2 - though it's not quite that cheap.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

GutBomb posted:

What about this selection of cars? Some are faster than each other but most are within 3 sec of each other around Okayama Piper. Which ones should we take out? The RS200 and the GNX were the only ones that didn't feel competitive during qualifying, and in the race the RS200 is much faster than everything else. The VW's weren't competitive.

This was years 1980-1989 top speed between 200-250 with the class of "street"

I've recently been getting into AC and would be down... This list looks like it would make for an interesting race.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Good to know the pros are exactly the same as a drop in race.
https://twitter.com/CGRindycar/status/1256672513733603329

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

A lot of pros have been ragging about iracing’s tire model actually, esp how it handles driving at the limit. Gotta say I agree: catching a slide is well nigh impossible

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Crossposting this because Snowrunner might be of interest to you lot as well.

It's an offroad trucking simulation mostly, and while the physics can be a bit bouncy it feels really good digging through the mud with a truck full of cement. And then digging through the mud with a crane truck to hopefully get the first truck upright again after it tipped over.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Discord crew have been playing it, last night we Made Good Decisions:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is it basically just mudrunner with a new map or is it a proper sequel? the interface looks a lot better at least