Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if youre bad at morale you could play one of the undead armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

CareyB posted:

Count me as another who bought this when it was on sale recently... the free weekend confirmed this may in fact rival Shogun 2 which I rinsed completely... but yeah I’ve played about 7-8 campaigns now on the vortex map on hard/hard and I never make it past turn 20. Until I was scaven anyway and remembered I hate playing armies with no morale.

Maybe I’ll turn battles to normal... completely understand the need to give the AI buffs at the end of the day but I’m like 6 turns into a new game and can already see two stacks coming in after I just took out their main army. I’m not that efficient with my orders yet I guess.

So if I had one question, considering I mostly skipped Rome 2 and so on... is it important to build up the provinces with infrastructure buildings early on? I find myself holding back on building the +growth,income and order buildings even when having little else to build just in case I need that spot for something later. Not sure if this is leaving me hamstrung to get an extra army on the go ASAP

- You should be prioritizing the +growth, +income and +public order buildings over everything else to be honest. You want income from every province you can get it, and you need public order ASAP to stabilize provinces so you don't need to babysit with armies.

- Your first province is probably going to have some military buildings in it but you really, really don't need to have recruitment buildings everywhere else unless playing as Tomb Kings who up their unit caps from them.

- Put the +growth building in literally every single town you can until all the settlement chains are 3+, then delete it and replace with another green line building like more income.

- I play on VH so I put a garrison gatehouse in every province as well once I unlock the third building slot because while it's a speedbump to real enemy stacks they will often take 2 turns to siege it vs just rolling over it immediately, giving you more time to respond accordingly.

Also some factions are much, much worse in siege battles than in field battles so you can use those garrisons to shut big armies down. This is very true for any stack that rolls up chariot or horse heavy; they'll just stand around getting murdered by towers until a gate is down, then they funnel into a tiny opening.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you're new play on Normal/Normal. Higher battle difficulty will lead you towards ranged stacks because you can't expect your infantry to function and the AI gets loads of cheats on campaign difficulty to balance out their limited AI once you know how to game it. Ranged stacks are a fine way to play but I think you're missing out if you don't choose to do it but rather have to abuse how the AI isn't terribly good at rushing gunlines.

Playing on Very Hard/Normal is challenge enough, Very Hard campaign difficulty means the AI has +20 public order, -80% upkeep, etc. It can be a very grim, unreasonable slog if you don't game it, I always make a few cheaty diplomacy pals on VH so they can generate 3 armies from one province on my flanks for our mutual enemies. The +15% upkeep on high difficulty is killer too and basically forces you to learn to get heroic results out of every army like back to back out-fighting two full stacks in 1-2 turns.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

So I bought the Warhammers last week because they were on budget and hey why not. Not sure if I'm actually going to play the first game (I just decided to pick it up because of the Mortal Empires campaign, really), although I'm happy to hear any recommendations! Anyway, Warhammer II generally seems cool and I've been enjoying my lizardmen campaign a lot for various reasons. No doubt this has been commented upon many times already here, but being Dutch my lizardmen's punny hero/lord names keep making me laugh. Anyone know the story behind them? Were they the work of a single subversive element within CA or a team decision?

This is pure guesswork but:

Ever since the Lizardmen became more than a distant background part of Warhammer a significant number of the names have been dumb English puns and references (the sample army in what I think was the very first Lizardman army book was the Rezephua Frogs, the city of Itza-Bitza and the skink Tehenauini (since slightly renamed) were a reference to an obnoxious novelty song from a few years earlier, the Legendary Lord mounts Grimloq, Zlaaq, and Zwoop were references to kids transformers that transformed into dinosaurs. All this had the effect of making the Lizardman language sound like a garbled version of English.

Having every name of a lizardman as a bad pun or reference in English would be ridiculous, but they wanted to keep the Lizardman language as consistently sounding like a language which when mangled sounds like mangled English so they could keep doing this with every third or fourth name. So what do you call the rest of your Lizardmen that you dont't want to actually be English? It's possible to make up gibberish that sounds right but that takes significant skill. It's easier, more reliable, and a lot more fun to get your words sounding like garbled versions of English without actually being garbled versions of English (so the puns are rare enough to be fun) by making them garbled versions of one of the other two popular French/German hybrid languages - Belgian or Dutch. Most of your English fans won't notice the Belgian and Dutch references and puns, and most of the people who do notice will enjoy it.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Awesome, thanks everyone that helps a lot. It’s more about building a complete province then, not worrying about what buildings go where, aside the obvious.

Yeah I’m reluctant to turn the difficulty down cos as soon as I crack it I’ll likely steam roller it. I can ignore the ai bonuses as long as it doesn’t make stupid decisions in front of me too often, but yeah even stuff that youd think should feel op in battle just gets you through by the skin of your teeth and it feels when the two clumps come together even when you win you’re whittled down massively. Just a bit gutting when you think wtf could I have done better.

All said the various mechanics and unique units, with the decent lore of wh make this a really interesting game to get stuck into even for someone who’s never been into fantasy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CareyB posted:

Awesome, thanks everyone that helps a lot. It’s more about building a complete province then, not worrying about what buildings go where, aside the obvious.

Yeah I’m reluctant to turn the difficulty down cos as soon as I crack it I’ll likely steam roller it. I can ignore the ai bonuses as long as it doesn’t make stupid decisions in front of me too often, but yeah even stuff that youd think should feel op in battle just gets you through by the skin of your teeth and it feels when the two clumps come together even when you win you’re whittled down massively. Just a bit gutting when you think wtf could I have done better.

All said the various mechanics and unique units, with the decent lore of wh make this a really interesting game to get stuck into even for someone who’s never been into fantasy.
Yeah I was never into any Warhammer content ever and knew next to nothing coming in, but all the variety offered by the different factions really refreshed my enjoyment of the Total War franchise. I've probably put at least 1,000 hours in now, and still only play on Hard battle difficulty because zombies winning a melee against Karl Franz-led Greatswords is just tastes really bad. I play on VH campaign because it boosts the AI's quantity of armies which means I get to fight more field battles, and the other Public Order and Lord Upkeep penalties suck but it works for me for now to make it challenging without making it absurd.

If you need to juke out or lure out AI armies, use Ambush stance, especially if they do not have any agents nearby.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got some quick tips for playing Cylostra Direfin?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Help skeggi take out mazda early before they can do that bullshit primeval right and roll over you with a stack of carnosaurs. Or just leave your starting province and just sack/raid until you can take on ulthuan.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So do I just ignore the pirate cove mechanics or what

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gort posted:

So do I just ignore the pirate cove mechanics or what

No but when I was playing Harkon, I really didn't worry about coves until I'd teched up into the mid game and could afford to drop the 10K it costs to build them with a hero. I don't see the point of filling Lustria with coves when you're going to have to kill the owners at some point anyway just to survive.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 28, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Pirate coves should be what you do after you sack a settlement. Agents making coves tend to be on the expensive side imo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

On Vortex I had a lot of success dunking on Mazda early and sacking my way across each of his cities (including Hexoatl when it was undefended and I sieged it with an extra lord who was full up on whatever was available while Cylostra was hiding nearby in ambush stance, causing the city garrison to sally and die, allowing me to sack it for $$$$). I actually beat the poo poo out of Mazda culminating in the sacking of Hexoatl, then I killed Skaeggi off so I would not have to worry about them razing any of the towns that had my Coves in them. Then I made the mistake of trying to settle down when I should have instead gone elsewhere and just sacked more things.

Note that should Sack, then Establish Cove. Outright establishing the cove counts as sacking it so if you decide to sack it again the next turn you got no money on the first sack because you established a cove, then you get no money on the second sacking because the game things you sacked it once already the prior turn.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Sending off your pirate captains to the richest port cities to build the steal 50% income building is super good, I don't usually build coves anywhere else unless I know I won't be conquering in that direction for a long time. For all vampirates get a mortar building as fast as humanly possible, it enables Cylostra for instance to immediately take over ulthuan even on legendary before Helves can get any of their annoying monsters/late game stuff. Archers/Spearmen/Sea Guard get shredded by mortars.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Everything that gets stuck in melee with deckhands gets shredded by mortars.

Also deckhands but who cares about them

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah the one real lesson of Vampirates is embrace the gunpowder. You can throw some giant crabs or walking ships in the mix but mortars and handgunners will carry you everywhere you need to go. And the occasional queen bess.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Extreme aggression very early on against Hexoatl and Skeggi. If you can wipe them both out within 10-12 turns, you are loving set. This is totally viable, too. Raise dead, summons, your ghost paladin buddy - you can put some serious early game pressure that the others cannot resist. If either one lives beyond that time frame, you're going to spend your days fighting an endless hellwar that will only end when the next hellwar starts.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mazz posted:

Yeah the one real lesson of Vampirates is embrace the gunpowder. You can throw some giant crabs or walking ships in the mix but mortars and handgunners will carry you everywhere you need to go. And the occasional queen bess.

Walking ships are also walking cannon. The knockdown melee is just a nice extra, so far as I can tell.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sombrerotron posted:

It's "kattenbak" in Dutch. So far, I've also seen Cho'qomel (a chocolate milk drink), Qop'eraf ("kop eraf", which may be translated as "off with their head"), Onzinna'am ("onzinnaam", literally "nonsensical name"), and Besstel'bus ("bestelbus", i.e. "delivery van"). Oh yeah, and Dikkie Dik is a beloved cat that many a Dutch child grew up with.
Ok, I'm thinking all of this lends credence to the Rogue Dutch Dev Theory. I'm glad the dumb pun names are crossing language barriers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Cease to Hope posted:

Walking ships are also walking cannon. The knockdown melee is just a nice extra, so far as I can tell.

They are actually stronger in melee than from far away because they fire on the move and continue shooting in melee. They're fast enough to run down most infantry units too, including most archers. Nothing like playing Noctilus and just Ent walking into the enemy every battle. Works really well except for when it doesn't.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mazz posted:

They are actually stronger in melee than from far away because they fire on the move and continue shooting in melee. They're fast enough to run down most infantry units too, including most archers. Nothing like playing Noctilus and just Ent walking into the enemy every battle. Works really well except for when it doesn't.

Yeah, but they dig grooves through formations with cannonball shots when you fire from a greater distance and get a flatter angle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm not sure why, but generally after I take over my first continent I kinda lose interest in a playthrough. So I abandoned Settra, although I may pick it up later, and jumped back to Karl Franz who I haven't played since I first got the game.

There aren't many RTS games I've played with this many forces that somehow all feel unique from each other.

I also tried Chaos again but christ they are boring

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

It might not be as out and out effective as a Necrofex doomstack but my favourite Vampirate composition is:

Lord
Mage
6x Promethean riders
4x Hanguns
2x Deck Gunner
2x Mortar
1x Queen Bess
3x Necrofex Colossus

No tactics, just a just mass of gunpowder smoke and smelly crabs

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't understand how to play early Khalida...I can't even hold two settlements. My starting city gets rebellion since there's a bazillion -PO, and if I go over to defend it the rear end in a top hat vampire just retakes his city. I don't have good enough ambush chance to catch him and even with Route Marcher Khalida isn't faster than him so he never stops in range for me to actually attack his army. Do I just have to camp at literally 1 settlement!?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello, i still exist, and yes, i still make mods!

Today i worked quite a bit on Dawi, so here are some changes to my mod Khazukan Kazakit Ha:

First up, its been a long petpeeve of mine that Bretonnians get walls on their minor settlements but not Dwarfs, you know the defense obsessed folk.

So i added that:

This works with Mazz's minor T4 cities as well, but will also work fine without it, as you can see i use that mod.

I also added some new effects to the techs:

And finally, and this has been on my to do list for quite a while, i added Offensive Runes to Runelords and Runesmiths:

I based them on already existing spells tied to items, all of which i think works as part of the lore of Rune Magic:

The mod is updated, and is available here for anyone interested:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186300060

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dwarven forges, surely

speaking of mods, actually, i don't really know where to start re: modding. is it literally just browsing the workshop to see what's good?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warhams dwarfs are quite strict about the f, rather than the v.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dwarven forges, surely

speaking of mods, actually, i don't really know where to start re: modding. is it literally just browsing the workshop to see what's good?

The mods for this game fall into two categories:

-Overhaul that freshens things up for the addicts
-Small mod to remove annoyances

The popular overhauls and Grimhammer and Lucky's Overhaul. As far as small mods go, it's purely up to individual taste. I like to use Tier 4 minor settlements (because it makes late-game province management a little easier), Rebanner (to make banners consistently worth using), and this particular skill point mod, which eventually increases the skill points characters earn per level. They're all a bit cheaty, but the AI also benefits so whatever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Krazyface posted:

The mods for this game fall into two categories:

-Overhaul that freshens things up for the addicts
-Small mod to remove annoyances

The popular overhauls and Grimhammer and Lucky's Overhaul. As far as small mods go, it's purely up to individual taste. I like to use Tier 4 minor settlements (because it makes late-game province management a little easier), Rebanner (to make banners consistently worth using), and this particular skill point mod, which eventually increases the skill points characters earn per level. They're all a bit cheaty, but the AI also benefits so whatever.

FWIW I make tier 4 minor settlements, and Wallets is also a goon who is behind Rebanner and Drink It, two extremely good QoL mods.

Now that I’m playing this again I probably need to make another pass at the T4 garrisons to make sure they make sense but I’ll likely wait to the next DLC

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 28, 2020

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
The best QoL mod that everyone new to the game should begin using immediately is the thing that saves camera settings between campaigns. You're going to be restarting a bunch to check out each cool legendary lord warham man, so take the second to install it so you don't have to fiddle with settings every game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

fargom posted:

The best QoL mod that everyone new to the game should begin using immediately is the thing that saves camera settings between campaigns. You're going to be restarting a bunch to check out each cool legendary lord warham man, so take the second to install it so you don't have to fiddle with settings every game.

this weirds me out still that they don't have some sort of default option in game

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are lizardmen wizards actually really good or is their superiority a flavor text thing that's not reflected in game potency?

Also I have an odd problem. I am playing Ham 2 via family share functionality on Steam. I have access to all my pal's paid DLC as I borrow the game from him. Tomb Kings, The Noun and The Noun, so forth. However, none of the free-LC is active. When I attempt to claim free content like Repanse, I get to the Steam Store page, click the green download button, and then get asked if I have Steam installed. Clicking the "yes" box does absolutely nothing.

Can anyone advise me how to get free LLs working on a game that is accessed via Steam Family Share?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Are lizardmen wizards actually really good or is their superiority a flavor text thing that's not reflected in game potency?

Slann's starting traits give them huge Winds of Magic pools and regen, they come with some bound spells iirc, and there are some Lizardmen buildings to give them a bunch of freebie levels on recruitment.

So yeah they're pretty great wizards.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 28, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In terms of heroes they also have access to the beefiest mages after a certain level as you can just mount them all on dinosaurs.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

In terms of heroes they also have access to the beefiest mages after a certain level as you can just mount them all on dinosaurs.

This. Skinks on ancient stegadons will make up the bulk of your lategame army.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you paint the map and build star chambers in each province you can recruit level 30+ slaan. They get beefier resistances via skills than the average mage and are slightly less embarrassing melee combatants before dinos. They're also access to four lores you wouldn't otherwise get free crack at. And finally, Big Mundi and Kroak get nukes, Mundi's being cooldown based instead of winds cost. Mundi's Dwarf Era Ender can destroy squads whole if you get 2-3 of the quake lines to pass through them.

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Also I have an odd problem. I am playing Ham 2 via family share functionality on Steam. I have access to all my pal's paid DLC as I borrow the game from him. Tomb Kings, The Noun and The Noun, so forth. However, none of the free-LC is active. When I attempt to claim free content like Repanse, I get to the Steam Store page, click the green download button, and then get asked if I have Steam installed. Clicking the "yes" box does absolutely nothing.

Can anyone advise me how to get free LLs working on a game that is accessed via Steam Family Share?

I hada similar problem, where it did not install the free DLCs at all. What worked for me is to click download in steam, which started the game launcher. If you then close the launcher, it installs the DLC without giving a message that its done at some point. You can check the DLC storepage on steam again and it should tell you that it's already installed once it is ready.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Doomykins posted:

If you paint the map and build star chambers in each province you can recruit level 30+ slaan. They get beefier resistances via skills than the average mage and are slightly less embarrassing melee combatants before dinos. They're also access to four lores you wouldn't otherwise get free crack at. And finally, Big Mundi and Kroak get nukes, Mundi's being cooldown based instead of winds cost. Mundi's Dwarf Era Ender can destroy squads whole if you get 2-3 of the quake lines to pass through them.

My favorite part of my last lizard campaign. Getting new lords that already have upkeep reduction, all the best spells and skills and immortality from a short ritual cooldown timer is amazing. Don't sleep on Mazda's star chamber discount.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

This might be a naive question, but is there something blatant I have missed regarding moving armies around on the world map during a campaign?

I've mainly played this game with custom battles against my brother and recently decided to actually play a campaign as the dwarves (Warhammer 1, not 2). I'm finding it really frustrating to chase orc armies around for 10+ turns into their lands and then trudging back. My empire is so long and thin, North to South that I can't conceive of trudging my army north to confront Chaos.

I figured there might be some method to "teleport" my armies between garrison cities, but other than the underground march (a variant on the forced march options?) I'm not seeing it.

The pacing and mechanics of the grand strategy are not what expected after hours of the battle mode in multiplayer. Particularly the diplomatic systems, where it seems impossible to get anything out of my neighbours, be it gold or alliances.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Also if you are brand new to the game, it's best to just build walls in every single city. You lose out on economy but it will really dissuade enemy raiding parties from trying to attack your unprotected cities.

If morale is something you are having an issue with, play Tomb Kings or Vampirates, the old world undead are difficult to learn with because they have to ranged weapons which puts them at a severe disadvantage against a lot of armies. Also sieges are tough without much in the way of artillery. If you just have the base game and none of the expansions or Old World armies, then it's best to start out with High Elves or Lizardmen since Dark Elves have the super annoying slave mechanic which, while being very strong once you master it, is super hard to deal with as a brand new player and Skaven have 0 morale pretty much across the board and also have an annoying mechanic (food) to deal with.

High Elves are probably the most straight forward and the easiest to get going early on and Lizardmen are a bit harder to start with but once you hit midgame and have doomstacks of stegadons they are easily the most powerful army out there and also the easiest to use.

mitochondritom posted:

This might be a naive question, but is there something blatant I have missed regarding moving armies around on the world map during a campaign?

I've mainly played this game with custom battles against my brother and recently decided to actually play a campaign as the dwarves (Warhammer 1, not 2). I'm finding it really frustrating to chase orc armies around for 10+ turns into their lands and then trudging back. My empire is so long and thin, North to South that I can't conceive of trudging my army north to confront Chaos.

I figured there might be some method to "teleport" my armies between garrison cities, but other than the underground march (a variant on the forced march options?) I'm not seeing it.

The pacing and mechanics of the grand strategy are not what expected after hours of the battle mode in multiplayer. Particularly the diplomatic systems, where it seems impossible to get anything out of my neighbours, be it gold or alliances.

The only way you can chase down opposing armies is to either have more campaign movement than them (if your lord has a +campaign movement option, take it immediately, if they have multiple, take them all as soon as you can) or to send armies to try and cut them off. Sometimes you just have to let them go if you can't out-march them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stacking + campaign movement is a very good idea IMO, take all the campaign movement buffs you can get, followers, skills, techs, buildings etc, all of it.

The dwarfen empire is awkward though yeah cos the mountains are one long noodle and full of awkward passes and stuff. Generally I suggest fortifying the crap out of karak ungor and karak kadrin and holding there while the empire fight the chaos armies, only helping out if you need to. The northern mountains have major cities squatting on their outer extremities which also control the passes further in, so they're very good for defending. I'm currently trying to defend kislev and conquer the southern mountains as Gelt and gently caress me I'm fighting infinite goddamn skaven and orcs while the chaos assholes rain in from the northeast. Do not recommend unless you're a masochist.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 28, 2020