Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Welp Angela absolutely destroyed the postgame stuff. Beat black rabite and Anise time trial, best time was 51s

Time for ng+ with Hawkeye, Riesz and Kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ability guides for all characters/classes are here for anyone who can't play (:arghfist:) and/or wants to theorycraft

https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-duran-classes-guide/
https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-angela-classes-guide/
https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-riesz-classes-guide-2/
https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-remake-hawkeye-classes-guide/
https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-kevin-classes-guide-2/
https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-charlotte-classes-guide-2/

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dackel posted:

Welp Angela absolutely destroyed the postgame stuff. Beat black rabite and Anise time trial, best time was 51s

Time for ng+ with Hawkeye, Riesz and Kevin

What level you were? and what method did you use for such a fast kill?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
To the people having trouble with allies constantly eating AoEs - have you tried messing with the AI settings? I could be imagining this, but it feels like telling them to Target Other Enemies means they run around more trying to hit adds, idols, etc, accidentally dodging AoEs in the process since they're not hugging the boss like I am. The boss dies a little slower but I rarely use more than a couple of cups (I'm 3 benevodons deep on hard mode right now, 1-2 levels underleveled, for reference). If you've got Duran, the Defensive line of chain abilities also seem to do a lot of work. I don't really know what it means by "charge attack" but it seems to have nearly 100% uptime. Someone mentioned they were taking 300 damage from the swipes on the vine boss, but they were doing < 150 to me with up to date gear and both Defensive passives.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Arkeus posted:

What level you were? and what method did you use for such a fast kill?

I was at 75, I wrote up how my party looked like earlier.

Dackel posted:

I went Magus with her and with Paladin Duran tanking and holding support chain abilities and Charlotte as Necromancer for debuffs and healing/twinkle rain I am having an absolute blast. Angela has 3 wound magic to tap into everyone's HP for a massive magic boost, she starts with MGC up buff. Charlotte starts combat with enemies automatically mdef down and increasing weak point dmg while buffing her summons and heals. Duran has provoke, guard and MGC boost. Rest is all filler for MP regen auras.

This party is just there to boost Angela really, and it absolutely wrecks face. I love it.

The biggest issue with the time trial was I only had ice and wind, so i had to ancient curse the other 2 crystals and hope anise played along so i could kill her in 1 phase. for her dragon phase, you need to dodge the beginning barrage of attacks (or I had to, cause i didnt have spellguard) and then just spam ancient curse on the body. Ancient curse absolutely DESTROYS multi body part static bosses

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dang, I'm hyped to combine Warrior Monk and Magus. Infinite mana and healing to beef up wound-empowered spells? Sign me up!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So my opposite party for New Game+ will be some makeup of Duran, Angela, and Riesz. Maximizing my output here will be tricky I think... any recommendations for classes? Angela in particular seems to be a good bit more complicated than in the past.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much of a difference does it make to have characters with a shared antagonist? Like, what do you get story-wise for bringing Angela with you if you're playing as Duran, for example?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Alxprit posted:

So my opposite party for New Game+ will be some makeup of Duran, Angela, and Riesz. Maximizing my output here will be tricky I think... any recommendations for classes? Angela in particular seems to be a good bit more complicated than in the past.

this is my crew on my first playthrough. i went leige with duran for the multiheal and fenrir knight with reisz for stat downs and pumped luck for crits. i also got lucky on an item seed and got her best spear that shot my attack up like 50 points and shes just wrecking poo poo. went grand divina with angela but i think you can go whatever with her cause she gets insanely powerful

up to the last benevedon and ive been absolutely murdering everything so far.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

How much of a difference does it make to have characters with a shared antagonist? Like, what do you get story-wise for bringing Angela with you if you're playing as Duran, for example?

It prevents some of the NPCs coming up to be a bit of a "wait what, who is this, where did they come from". It sort of makes the whole picture a bit more cohesive from "both sides". Mind you, it still happens, because you still see bits and pieces from other people's story. It's not necessary at all, but I'd still recommend it unless you don't care and skip through it all.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Do T3 classes have different base stats? I'm looking at RIesz's abilities to see if they brought Vanadis up to Starlancer's level from the OG, but based on those it still seems weaker. Obviously this doesn't take into account the class strikes, which could be a make or break issue. But aside from that, if their stats are the same, Vanadis got a little screwed with some of her abilities being explicitly weaker versions of Star Lancer's.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dackel posted:

I was at 75, I wrote up how my party looked like earlier.

The biggest issue with the time trial was I only had ice and wind, so i had to ancient curse the other 2 crystals and hope anise played along so i could kill her in 1 phase. for her dragon phase, you need to dodge the beginning barrage of attacks (or I had to, cause i didnt have spellguard) and then just spam ancient curse on the body. Ancient curse absolutely DESTROYS multi body part static bosses

Managed to do it via second tier holy spell nuking. The Archmage 'big neutral spell' actually is not so good in the first phase, and as she is weak to holy (I somehow didn't notice) second phase was basically a rush to kill her before she could do the big AoE thing that makes attacking her impossible.

Still didn't manage to off her first phase before she did a second run of crystals, though that's in part because I didn't want to blow my CS.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
For anyone wondering, if you beat the game on PS4, you get the story completion trophies for all 3 characters. Which means 100% completion is 3 playthroughs (to kill all villains, I think), not 6.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DoubleDonut posted:

look, I just like that at the character select screen everyone introduces themselves and says something about themselves

except Kevin, who just says "Kevin! That's me!"

I couldn't even understand how Charlotte described herself since there were no subtitles there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Poque posted:

I couldn't even understand how Charlotte described herself since there were no subtitles there.

She's the wesident beauwty of Wendew, of course.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I could use help defining some of these class ability terms while I wait to get my game. What is a status effect precisely?

Angela can increase ally chances of delivering a status effect and can deal more damage to enemies under a status effect. Is "status effect" only silence / freeze / etc. or does it include stat downs from stuff like Critical Smash and Ries?

Duran can Retain to double the time of a "status increase caused by move.". So he gets double time when Ries buffs him? Do his sabers last twice as long?

Also, do abilities stack? Like if multiple PCs have party attack all or Weakpoint?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

pretty soft girl posted:

Good God Hawkeye ninja master is busted this time around. With all of the ninja move CS boosts he can get around 100 to 150 CS meter per casting of fire or water diversion depending on how many enemies there are. I spent the final third of the game just spamming his level 2 tech, it completely trivializes every encounter

You are only just now beginning to learn the power of crowdclearer Ninja Master Hawkeye.

But have you done his jutsus against bosses with multiple hittable parts? That is the real definition of busted.

Chrodyn posted:

Seems like dark path hawkeye is busted in general. Nightblade has a passive 10% chance to instant kill enemies with a status effect on them. Combined with the 4int chance to poison on power attack and most trash packs ended up with 2 or 3 just falling over after a few hits!

E: Dark class 4 then gets a seperate 10% chance to 1hit kill as well.

I've also heard really good things about Rogue Hawkeye, so if you went light, there's still light at the end of the tunnel.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Those stat boosts from tier 3 classes are massive. I don't think the game wants you to class change until you at least clear half of the Benevodons. I rushed the 6 free ??? seeds and managed to get every class possible. The first 3 Benevodons were complete chumps and the rest weren't that hard either but at least had some levels.

Necromancer Charlotte gets a 50 point increase in Strength. For the record that makes her strength higher than Duran in his dark classes. You don't get a huge boost in spirit like her light classes but if you want to bonk things I rather like it along with the stat debuffs.

You can also get an ability that allows Charlotte a chance to petrify enemies by using power attacks. Alongside her locked ability to boost summon damage (and the other Intellect Ability that also boosts her summon damage) and access to Dark Curse Necromancer!Charlotte is probably one of the most versatile characters in the game, generally missing out only on crowdclearing.

EDIT:

SuperKlaus posted:

I could use help defining some of these class ability terms while I wait to get my game. What is a status effect precisely?

Angela can increase ally chances of delivering a status effect and can deal more damage to enemies under a status effect. Is "status effect" only silence / freeze / etc. or does it include stat downs from stuff like Critical Smash and Ries?

Duran can Retain to double the time of a "status increase caused by move.". So he gets double time when Ries buffs him? Do his sabers last twice as long?

Also, do abilities stack? Like if multiple PCs have party attack all or Weakpoint?

Status effect negative status effects like Poison, Silence, Petrify, etc.

Status increase are moves that increase stats (ATK, DEF, MGC ATK, MGC DEF). Riesz's buff spells and Charlotte's Magic Shield are among the spells that apply status increases, and the Sabers and some of Hawkeye's Nomad spells that apply positive status effects likely also count as this instead of the above because otherwise, some of the abilities that interact with status effects would be really broken.

Status decrease are moves that lower stats. Riesz's debuff spells, Hawkeye's jutsus, and Charlotte's Dark Curse are among the spells that can apply status decreases.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 27, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fatal Fist Kevin is kind of a one-trick pony, but that trick is 'transform these enemies into paste', and he's very good at it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey Ferrinus if you're still looking for character power lists in a handy place a dude on Steam is writing character guides that have all the feat choices and such.

Here's Duran for example. He's got 3 of 6 posted. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2073481233

Awesome, thank you. I basically farmed items and used saving and loading to preview class changes in my current file (Archmage/Liege/Warlock) but this'll be handy for plotting out replays.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Are Reisz' summons' strength based on M. Atk / Intellect?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What's the reward for under 60 seconds?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Cliff posted:

yes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Cliff posted:

Everything that is deals magic damage is based on M. Atk / Intellect in this game.

YggiDee posted:

Fatal Fist Kevin is kind of a one-trick pony, but that trick is 'transform these enemies into paste', and he's very good at it.

Correction.

Step 1: Buff with Moon Energy
Step 2: Transform enemies into paste

So he's actually a two-trick pony.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aren't Rogue spells based on Luck?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

And here I thought summon dmg was based on spirit, or was that only for charlottte?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kevin gets a Kamehameha :monocle:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Aren't Rogue spells based on Luck?

Yes, and they don't deal magic damage. They hit regular DEF instead.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I think they should have added NG+ options. as is, the "oh, you keep your old level" thing is probably not what most of us want.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AoE attacks hit multiple parts of big monsters? I thought that was just for hitbox bookkeeping. Though I did notice that when Full Metal Hugger armors up you can still attack its feet.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When tf does Kevin start learning abilities!!!! I’ve been mashing a for seven hours even post class change. Just got the wind guy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Kevin's a brawler, he won't get any abilities until the second class change. Kevin's entire job is to punch enemies repeatedly.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

fadam posted:

When tf does Kevin start learning abilities!!!! I’ve been mashing a for seven hours even post class change. Just got the wind guy.

brawler doesn't get any spells, you're gonna be mashing a until the second class change. and even the spells you get then are to mash a better. if you want a battlemage type character your best bet is hawkeye or maaaybe charlotte's dark classes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

fadam posted:

What class are you? If you're light, you should have access to Pressure Point and Heal Light through Stamina and Spirit Training. If Dark, you can get one spell when you're able to class change again.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think I see a way, combing through the ability lists, to use some of the less instantly popular classes well. How's this for a party comp?

Riesz, Hawk, Kevin, all Light + Light.

Divine Fist Kevin is an industrial class strike factory stacking CS gain abilities, especially CS gain when receiving a buff. Nomad Hawk buffs him automatically every encounter. Vanadis Riesz brings the buff share chain ability to the table, which Kevin equips to share in Hawk's special buffs.

Hawk uses Riesz's crit rate chain ability and Riesz and Kevin's debuff on crit chain abilities with his own crit rate buff spell and crit rate ability to be a critical hit debuff dispensation machine. And again when he lays down Nomad spells the party shares the buffs and Kevin laughs in CS gauge.

I don't even understand what Riesz's ability to get buffs when she uses her CS does here but I have a hunch that with all the buff sharing layered synergy going on and Kevin/Hawk's CS rate gain spells she'll be doing something impressive.

This is dependent on how a lot of these abilities interact so I could be wrong but if I'm right this uses Vanadis and Nomad to make an interlaced death squad of buff sharing, debuffing critical hits, and class strike spam.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Looks like Pressure Point isn't a thing anymore either, so light Kevin only learns one spell at T2 (Healing Light). At T3, each of his classes learns one new spell. (And Fatal Fist's actually does something this time, yay!)

Edit: or maybe the guide I"m reading just left it out. God dammit, I want to play

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 27, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Looks like Pressure Point isn't a thing anymore either, so light Kevin only learns one spell at T2 (Healing Light). At T3, each of his classes learns one new spell. (And Fatal Fist's actually does something this time, yay!)

Edit: or maybe the guide I"m reading just left it out. God dammit, I want to play

The guide left it out. It is in his Stamina tree on the Light path.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So on that note, how do buffs work? In the old game, there were basically 3 modes: debuffed, neutral, and buffed, and there was no variance in power or stacking. Based on some ability descriptions, it sounds like buffs can vary in power. Is there stacking as well?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I managed to get Angela's Dragon Staff from a gold seed on my fifth benevodon and everything she pointed at just exploded
I don't wanna jinx it but these seeds are extremely generous with endgame gear. My pot's at level 4 and I've also already gotten Ruby Mask, King's Gauntlets, Black Garb and whatever Angela's best helmet is and I haven't fought Zable Fahr yet

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Chain/Ability buffs should be able to stack with any of Riesz's spell buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm asking more about spells. Like Dark Riesz + Hawkeye doubling stat downs. Also, in the OG, Kevin's Pressure Point was essentially a personal Strength Up that was superfluous if you had Light Riesz.