Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Falcorum posted:

doesn't Intel have that already

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The Management posted:

try not to rip any threads on the way to the parking lot

i never knew how abundant threads were until they were lying, tattered, all around me

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

try not to rip any threads on the way to the parking lot

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're violating our profitinos :qq:

You're violating Moore's Law! You're violating Moore's Law! I continue to cry as fab engineers kick me in the head.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so when do we halt with new cores and focus on clock speed again
it seems like that's what intel is desperately trying to force but AMD is just laughing and ignoring it. they seem to have found a balance where nobody cares if they lose that last 10% of single thread speed if they get a dozen more fuckin' cores.

also the 3990x does 750 watts overclocked lmbo

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Remember when AMD released the world's shittiest 8 Core consumer CPU in 2011 with the assumption that scalable baked-in multithreading was right around the corner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SRQ posted:

it seems like that's what intel is desperately trying to force but AMD is just laughing and ignoring it. they seem to have found a balance where nobody cares if they lose that last 10% of single thread speed if they get a dozen more fuckin' cores.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the one true prohecy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NOOO YOU CAN'T JUST INCREASE MEMORY SPEEDS LIKE THAT

Ha ha, threads go riiiiiipppp

Goddamnit, someone made that joke already.

Umm...

Re-do the AMD graph so it says "Market Share" and put the Intel dude in one of those old-timey barrels with suspenders that signify poverty?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2020

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SRQ posted:

unless you're going to balloon out the pipeline the odds of clockspeeds getting much higher with current tech are very low. the "quick and dirty" solution is using doped diamond for transistors because they can hold up to absurd heat but if you're going down that road you're just saying gently caress It to efficiency and talking about 200W+ draw on the socket under load for even a low-end system. And that tech is nowhere near the point it can scale down that small, they're still figuring it out for stuff like highspeed rail. it's going to take something pretty revolutionary to either get clock speed up appreciably or IPC considerably higher, the materials just can't handle it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Remember when AMD released the world's shittiest 8 Core consumer CPU in 2011 with the assumption that scalable baked-in multithreading was right around the corner

yeah but they weren't even real cores, it was like 4 actual ones and even those sucked

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I remember when AMD released 3-core CPU’s for a time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Re-do the AMD graph so it says "Market Share" and put the Intel dude in one of those old-timey barrels with suspenders that signify poverty?

yeah, nah, intel is making all kinds of money. earnings for q1 had net income up 43% yoy. still enjoying a 60.6% gross margin.

incompetence is not so great an issue with the level of entrenchment intel has, ibm skated by in a similar situation for decades.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah it's the "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" mindset.

All the new servers at work are still Intel Xeons even when Epyc would have been a cheaper and better option

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its such a bullshit excuse. Dell will ship you the stuff for 3 months on a try and buy to make sure it meets spec and works correctly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its honestly true though, I would never have anyone bat an eyelash if they saw an invoice from a server come through with INTEL XEON BLAH BLAH on it, but if it said AMD EPYC THREADPUMMELLER it would raise some eyebrows and I'd find myself explaining CPU architecture to the CFO.

It ain't worth the hassle.

If AMD was smart they'd name their server CPU's "Zeon" and watch their server business go nuts

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

heres our new server chip based on the zen architecture, we call it the "xenon", ha ha, get it? and it's really cool because *1000 intel lawyers immediately tackle the poor marketing guy*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its honestly true though, I would never have anyone bat an eyelash if they saw an invoice from a server come through with INTEL XEON BLAH BLAH on it, but if it said AMD EPYC THREADPUMMELLER it would raise some eyebrows and I'd find myself explaining CPU architecture to the CFO.

If AMD was smart they'd name their server CPU's "Zeon" and watch their server business go nuts

"you get twice the compute for half the money, which is the only way we can meet our [nebulous_big_data_project_objective] in budget"

congratulations, you're finished with that convo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to work at intel (but don’t anymore), and “our existing support vendors and our internal people don’t have to learn anything new” is a powerful business case.

that’s not a great thing to bet on in the long term (see IBM)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

"you get twice the compute for half the money, which is the only way we can meet our [nebulous_big_data_project_objective] in budget"

congratulations, you're finished with that convo

yeah until there is a problem and you have everyone ever breathing down your neck with THIS WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED WITH INTEL

even thought that's not true at all

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah until there is a problem and you have everyone ever breathing down your neck with THIS WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED WITH INTEL

tbf intel has yet to do things like ship with a completely broken rdrand instruction or wait until a month *after* their chips shipped to upstream patches needed for them to boot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hassle? if there’s one thing CFOs love, it’s when you find something cheaper and save the company money.

“we did the financial analysis and concluded that for our computing needs, the TCO of AMD MONSTER THREADCRUSHER is lower than other options. we expect to save $$$”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

tbf intel has yet to do things like ship with a completely broken rdrand instruction

lol. intel’s totally broken transactional memory support in its first gen says otherwise.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the best case of that was when the meltdown patches killed performance and some people with long contract aws instances got screwed because the machines we not fast enough for their workload anymore

it should be framed as can we afford to use intel? all our poo poo will get hacked or we'll have to buy 10% more servers later

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this x1000

said it before and i say it again, the only thing wrong with amd now is that their marketing is targeting 14 year olds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
consider two things:

1. servers are usually bought on a 3-year cycle

2. it usually takes more than one cycle to make a change, because purchasing is hard and companies suck at it

the first epyc chips dropped in 2017. between then and now, amd has gone from essentially 0% share to almost 5%. in the time it takes an average business to do one server refresh

that's an extremely impressive fuckin market penetration

give it another three years, they might be at 15%. or 50%. who knows. given how bad intel has bungled everything, the sky is the limit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

said it before and i say it again, the only thing wrong with amd now is that their marketing is targeting 14 year olds

yeah amd's enterprise marketing is pretty fuckin pathetic

san jose airport:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tankakern posted:

this x1000

that seems laser targeted at the typical techbro though?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, epyc is no dumber than xeon, ryzen is no(t much?) dumber than core, and threadripper is no dumber than skulltrail.

to grab products out of the same segments

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, epyc is no dumber than xeon, ryzen is no(t much?) dumber than core, and threadripper is no dumber than skulltrail.

but did you see the advertisement

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel named their itanium (lol) instruction set EPIC, so evidently it’s enterprisey enough

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

intel named their itanium (lol) instruction set EPIC, so evidently it’s enterprisey enough

itanium isa was named "ia64"

"epic" was what they claimed was a new class of ISAs -- forget cisc and risc, now we have Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing, aka "a sufficiently smart compiler will save us all"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

a bunch of millennial and zoomer genius computer engineers trying to figure out how to sell their stuff to gen x and boomers.
intel meanwhile is the inverse.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it's like you post regularly on hn

listen to yourself, do you believe what you're saying

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i gotta admit that the orientalism of ryzen is pretty cringey

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Oh for sure, man

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i will retract my previous statement if their next ISA extension is named transubstantiation, or their next generation power saving tech is called ramadan mode

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah amd's enterprise marketing is pretty fuckin pathetic

san jose airport:

one is endangered and inbred, the most famous one bit the hand (and face) that fed it

the other is ubiquitous and care and feeding of them is a billion dollar industry

this is the kind of logic that makes sense in airports

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

blackberry people named their serious business tablet the “playbook”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

blackberry people named their serious business tablet the “playbook”

always funny to me when a nerd thinks "ha, gotem" and it's based on the assumption that businesspeople would never be amenable to a sports analogy