Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

i got owned posted:

having Biden address the allegations directly might not be such a good idea. he might get flustered and say some poo poo like "yeah, so what if I did it, vote Trump if you dont like it"

That's the broad sentiment from his support already though. As seen in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the extent to which the liberal strategy is based on pretending 2016 did not happen, and hoping it just goes away cannot be understated

the party as it exists is constitutionally incapable of any kind of reckoning with "for every blue collar voter we lose, we'll pick up two in the Pittsburgh suburbs." because if that is not true, if that strategy failed in 2016, then they very literally have no path forward. there is no other strategic move they are capable of making, beyond signing off on the purges in the hopes that'll keep their names off the lists. any effort to move the party left will be responded to with a billionaire running a "Voting For The Muslim Means You Hate Israel" campaign, and any left-winger who sneaks in regardless will be met by party elders inciting a wave of racist hatred against them if they try to do something like put oversight in the concentration camps.

and so, the orders have come down: trust that the scandal-wracked incarnation of the Old Guard who nobody -likes-, but enough people are willing to grudgingly tolerate in the name of maybe holding off a greater evil, will win your republican co-workers. proclaim the sexual assaults a creation of a bunch of lying women, the child cages what the untermenschen get for trying to pollute America with their blood, the foreign dead acceptable sacrifices to maintain America's political power, and reassure yourself that at least the American dead probably weren't any people you knew. hope, and hope with all your might, that running the furthest-right-wing candidate the Democratic Party has run in thirty years will finally be enough to get the suburban republicans who change the subject when politics comes up to stick with you.

because if God is not in his heaven, and all is not, in fact, fundamentally right with the world- if there is not an amount of children they can cage and foreigners they can bomb that will get the Baileys to vote for them- then not only do they have no reason to exist as a party, they have inflicted vast amounts of suffering on the world in exchange for nothing.

and because they are very smart people, who make very smart compromises, that must not be the case.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We can also, however, take some amount of strategic insight and hope from how the Tea Party lunatics were able to take over - maybe not the "have your own insane media bubble for decades until the base are gibbering cannibals and so are the candidates" component, but they successfully worked within the party to devour its innards and wear its skin.

The Tea Party was largely only possible for Republicans. Partly because the Tea Party is just the apotheosis of exactly the philosophy Republicans have been publicly espousing for decades, albeit partly as a way to scam rubes. Partly because it's a philosophy that rewards risk taking; yeah this guy is an incompetent outsider con artist but what's the difference, gently caress government anyway right?

The Democratic voters expect government to work and are risk averse; they're not naturally inclined to vote for outsiders, as seen this year as a popular outsider drove voters to the polls to choose the electability candidate.

Not to say that we shouldn't take over party positions, because why not, but I don't expect success to come nearly as easily.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

1) not everyone who posts a thing you disagree with is a lib, they might be a trot
2) my position on working within the party is more "por que no los dos" after seeing how mindnumbingly easy it is, for example, to become one of the 5000 delegates at Texas' state convention

Its the illusion of power.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PerniciousKnid posted:

The Tea Party was largely only possible for Republicans. Partly because the Tea Party is just the apotheosis of exactly the philosophy Republicans have been publicly espousing for decades, albeit partly as a way to scam rubes. Partly because it's a philosophy that rewards risk taking; yeah this guy is an incompetent outsider con artist but what's the difference, gently caress government anyway right?

The Democratic voters expect government to work and are risk averse; they're not naturally inclined to vote for outsiders, as seen this year as a popular outsider drove voters to the polls to choose the electability candidate.

Not to say that we shouldn't take over party positions, because why not, but I don't expect success to come nearly as easily.

The Tea Party also had direct financial backing from several billionaires. We saw how billionaires responded to the left this cycle and they seem to be less than supportive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spunkshui posted:

Its the illusion of power.

There's a lot of tension between "the DNC and state parties used their power against Bernie" (which I think we all agree on, broadly) and "the DNC and state parties don't have any power".

unless i'm misreading you

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 27, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The Tea Party also had direct financial backing from several billionaires. We saw how billionaires responded to the left this cycle and they seem to be less than supportive.

hell, not even this cycle. remember back when Haim Saban made it clear he was willing to go scorched-earth against Keith Ellison, on the grounds that losing the chair of the DNC to a lefty was worth going full-on Why Do You Support The Terrorists over

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Somfin posted:

The party platform is like your starting offer during negotiations, neither of you expect to actually get that, but it's theoretically your bold starting place that sets the agenda. The fact that they're not even allowing the left coalition- a quite substantial movement of quite passionate people who genuinely want things to get better- to have a voice in that platform means that they are no longer interested in even pretending to listen to the voices who want things to improve.

The left is no longer loving able to work within the party. There is no loving place for us.

Why do you care about the party platform? Would you believe Biden will fight for any meaningful concessions Bernie got? Would you have been willing to vote for Biden if they gave progressives more of a voice? Not a chance.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

Why do you care about the party platform? Would you believe Biden will fight for any meaningful concessions Bernie got? Would you have been willing to vote for Biden if they gave progressives more of a voice? Not a chance.

No. I don't, and I wouldn't, because I won't vote for a rapist.

But it would have been nice for the Democrats to at least pretend that the left still had any place in the party. As it is they're poisoning me even against moderate-centrist democratic candidates, let alone right-but-with-decorum assholes like Biden.

Do you care about the party platform? If it turns out that the entirety of it is "gonna get more racist against the perfidious Chinese" would that sway you to not vote for Democrats? How bad does it need to get?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So just so I understand all this, the entire reason Biden's position in the primary when Pete and Amy dropped to endorse him is invoked is to point out that the dnc was working as hard as possible to fight Bernie and through him real positive change right? And that the disdain for the dnc right now is that they fought against a much better candidate and also spit in the eye of their constituents so that their wealthy backers would be happy, correct?

Right? Right! Good. Good talk.

E: oh because that's all true. I forgot to mention

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 27, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Also, Biden and Dem leadership isn't even promising to do any of that good stuff, or even listen to what advocates have to say. In fact the only things he has been clear on is that he'd never in a million years pass it

Yeah, but if you go to the website of Joe Biden, a known liar and plagiarist, you can read about the most progressive platform the Democratic Party has ever had.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phone posted:

Yeah, but if you go to the website of Joe Biden, a known liar and plagiarist, you can read about the most progressive platform the Democratic Party has ever had.

Come on, man

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

evilweasel posted:

it is about as comprehensive a response you could get. how would you prefer i respond to it?
ideally you wouldn't

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anyone who challenges you about whether or not you care about an issue should state, in writing, whether or not they care about it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Phone posted:

Also we literally just went through this with Obama. Biden was Vice President in an administration that ran on a progressive platform and then abandoned it the moment they won. I guess I'm expected to believe that he was secretly pleading with Obama to move to the left the whole time? Lucy and the football is not a strong enough metaphor for these people.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TyrantWD posted:

Remember how so many people said that Trump winning was better for the left than Hillary, because the Democratic Party would obviously move to the left, and be pushing a truly progressive agenda?

It didn’t happen after 2016, and it won’t happen in 2020. The more ground you lose, the more people will be willing to settle for a return to the pre-Trump status quo. And you can be sure that a Trump with no re-election to worry about is going to let the ghouls who work for him go wild. You are also looking at at a 6-3 Supreme Court that will shut down any progressive policy that does get passed if the Democrats win in 2024.

I’m not saying Biden is not a terrible candidate. He was a terrible candidate before the rape story, and was probably going to anyway, and is almost certainly going to lose unless we see 10x the number of corona deaths between now and the election. Pretending that Trump winning is somehow going to work out better in the long run is an idea that is detached from reality.

If the Democrats lose in 2020, they are not moving to the left, and the party nominee will likely be one of the defeated centrists from this cycle - most likely Mayor Pete now that he is a household name. On the progressive side, someone completely new is going to have to prove their credentials, gain name recognition, earn people’s trust, and build a campaign operation from scratch.

the democrat party will never move to the left. the years of letting the DLC run the show have turned it in an ossified corporatist stooge. it is a dead letter

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I doubt that Biden has any idea what's written on his website and it should not be used as evidence of his intent.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it cannot be stressed enough Joe Biden is where he is today because he tried to knock out Obama early in 2007 by saying "how dare this black guy think he belongs on stage with his elders and betters", and Obama figured offering him an olive branch would be a good way to show conservatives he was willing to work with them

this story does not suggest that the centrist wing is just waiting for lefties to be a little nicer, in order to finally get around to adopting their proposals

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the democrat party will never move to the left. the years of letting the DLC run the show have turned it in an ossified corporatist stooge. it is a dead letter

You should have bought the season pass; way way cheaper.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden must be defeated for history to continue. Full Stop.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Somfin posted:

No. I don't, and I wouldn't, because I won't vote for a rapist.

But it would have been nice for the Democrats to at least pretend that the left still had any place in the party. As it is they're poisoning me even against moderate-centrist democratic candidates, let alone right-but-with-decorum assholes like Biden.

Do you care about the party platform? If it turns out that the entirety of it is "gonna get more racist against the perfidious Chinese" would that sway you to not vote for Democrats? How bad does it need to get?

But why bother with pretending? They know they don't intend to live up to it, you know its all a sham and aren't going to believe it anyway, and they know that you aren't going to change your mind, so what does it matter? People are going to vote for Biden if they hate Trump enough to be willing to tolerate a Biden presidency, or if they like Biden. There is no group of progressives out there on the fence about voting for Biden, but waiting to see what the party platform looks like.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

TyrantWD posted:

Remember how so many people said that Trump winning was better for the left than Hillary, because the Democratic Party would obviously move to the left, and be pushing a truly progressive agenda?

It didn’t happen after 2016, and it won’t happen in 2020. The more ground you lose, the more people will be willing to settle for a return to the pre-Trump status quo. And you can be sure that a Trump with no re-election to worry about is going to let the ghouls who work for him go wild. You are also looking at at a 6-3 Supreme Court that will shut down any progressive policy that does get passed if the Democrats win in 2024.

I’m not saying Biden is not a terrible candidate. He was a terrible candidate before the rape story, and was probably going to anyway, and is almost certainly going to lose unless we see 10x the number of corona deaths between now and the election. Pretending that Trump winning is somehow going to work out better in the long run is an idea that is detached from reality.

If the Democrats lose in 2020, they are not moving to the left, and the party nominee will likely be one of the defeated centrists from this cycle - most likely Mayor Pete now that he is a household name. On the progressive side, someone completely new is going to have to prove their credentials, gain name recognition, earn people’s trust, and build a campaign operation from scratch.

Are you claiming that Bernie would have had a better chance at winning the Democratic Primary if he was running against the incumbent President, Hillary Clinton?

Similarly, do you believe that incumbent President Joe Biden will be an easier primary opponent than a crowded field of people nobody's ever heard of?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

But why bother with pretending? They know they don't intend to live up to it, you know its all a sham and aren't going to believe it anyway, and they know that you aren't going to change your mind, so what does it matter? People are going to vote for Biden if they hate Trump enough to be willing to tolerate a Biden presidency, or if they like Biden. There is no group of progressives out there on the fence about voting for Biden, but waiting to see what the party platform looks like.

The party platform is not a way to loving win voters, it is what the party intends to do and it matters beyond the election, to quote my reply

Somfin posted:

it would have been nice for the Democrats to at least pretend that the left still had any place in the party

This is not me pretending, it genuinely would have been nice to allow even a passing trace of a voice in the party that they at least have to stab in the back, but now they're just stabbing us in the front

And there are plenty of progressives who are currently shrugging their shoulders and saying "gently caress it I guess I have to vote for the ra_ist now" who could be turned off by a sufficiently right-wing platform if the party goes masks off full fash

And now the question that you're dodging

Somfin posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the platform is meaningless, what matters is who holds power

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Somfin posted:

The party platform is not a way to loving win voters, it is what the party intends to do and it matters beyond the election, to quote my reply

This is not me pretending, it genuinely would have been nice to allow even a passing trace of a voice in the party that they at least have to stab in the back, but now they're just stabbing us in the front

And there are plenty of progressives who are currently shrugging their shoulders and saying "gently caress it I guess I have to vote for the ra_ist now" who could be turned off by a sufficiently right-wing platform if the party goes masks off full fash

I assume we're talking about the New York primary garbage, yeah?

Just to clarify/enunciate my current understanding:
- They want to cancel the presidential primary in the state, for mostly bullshit reasons.
- It's an action by the state election board, aka the Cuomo machine, aka the predominant arm of the state party but one relatively resistant to angry screaming constituents.
- If they cancel the primary, the state party and/or DNC and/or convention gets to allocate delegates based on ???, they don't necessarily vanish into the aether and they almost certainly don't all get allocated to Biden, unless everyone involved is a moron, which is why I included the almost.
- The DNC has issued a mealymouthed nothingstatement about this, which isn't great but isn't conclusive.

- ain't no rule saying new york sanderistas can't file to run as Bidenlikers to the state and national conventions, for a "what can I, a humble New York goon, do to do my part even in the Bad Scenario"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- They want to cancel the presidential primary in the state, for mostly bullshit reasons.
- It's an action by the state election board, aka the Cuomo machine, aka the predominant arm of the state party but one relatively resistant to angry screaming constituents.
- If they cancel the primary, the state party and/or DNC and/or convention gets to allocate delegates based on ???, they don't necessarily vanish into the aether and they almost certainly don't all get allocated to Biden, unless everyone involved is a moron, which is why I included the almost.
- The DNC has issued a mealymouthed nothingstatement about this, which isn't great but isn't conclusive.

- ain't no rule saying new york sanderistas can't file to run as Bidenlikers to the state and national conventions, for a "what can I, a humble New York goon, do to do my part even in the Bad Scenario"

Absolutely and this is good poo poo, I just want to know specifically why this guy thinks it doesn't matter that there will be no left voice on the party platform

And whether its contents could ever change his mind

And therefore whether or not we take this as the petty, spiteful attack that it is or as some fair, honest rules following that the Biden team constantly hides their cruelty behind

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Somfin posted:

Saying what the party intends to do is all about trying to win voters.

quote:

No it wouldn't. You would have expected that they were just going to stab you in the back and told them to gently caress off with their insincere concessions. We already went through this in 2016, and people were already saying as much earlier in the primary season before the rape story came out.

quote:

Where are they? All the progressives online, on any platform, have been fairly consistently falling into 2 camps: one group who will never vote for Joe Biden, no matter what (again, before the rape story came out and it was just the old awful record he had), or accepted that they were going to hold their nose and vote against Trump, no matter what. There aren't many if any voters who were holding out on Biden until they saw what the party platform included.

quote:

I don't really care what they put in the party platform. A centrist will govern as a centrist, and a progressive would govern as a progressive, no matter what they agreed to put in the party platform to smooth over their nomination. If Biden is going to mimic the GOP by ginning up anti-Chinese sentiment, he would do so whether or not it was in the platform.

I just don't get why people who are not persuadable get angry that the other side is not pretending to try and persuade you.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the platform is meaningless, what matters is who holds power

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/20/medicare-for-all-healthcare-industry/

The people that hold the power seem to care about the platform.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Okay, I admit this is :tinfoil:, but hear me out. New York is a very powerful state. They cancel the presidential primary. No one gets delegates. Now that the seal is broken other states will follow suit and cancel their primaries. Turns out by the convention no one has enough delegates, thus at the convention the delegates decide upon.... Cuomo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

Saying what the party intends to do is all about trying to win voters.

No it wouldn't. You would have expected that they were just going to stab you in the back and told them to gently caress off with their insincere concessions. We already went through this in 2016, and people were already saying as much earlier in the primary season before the rape story came out.

Where are they? All the progressives online, on any platform, have been fairly consistently falling into 2 camps: one group who will never vote for Joe Biden, no matter what (again, before the rape story came out and it was just the old awful record he had), or accepted that they were going to hold their nose and vote against Trump, no matter what. There aren't many if any voters who were holding out on Biden until they saw what the party platform included.

I don't really care what they put in the party platform. A centrist will govern as a centrist, and a progressive would govern as a progressive, no matter what they agreed to put in the party platform to smooth over their nomination. If Biden is going to mimic the GOP by ginning up anti-Chinese sentiment, he would do so whether or not it was in the platform.

I just don't get why people who are not persuadable get angry that the other side is not pretending to try and persuade you.

Ugh, this sentence by sentence poo poo is such trash. In this post you say that it's meant to win voters, then you say it doesn't matter, and then you say that I can't be persuaded anyway.

You also single out anti-Trump folks. Do you think that a sufficiently vile platform can't turn them away? Voting against someone is notoriously unreliable as a voter base; they're already on shaky ground and could be convinced that they're doing good with a sufficiently lefty platform. But they won't get one now.

You are entirely relying on people voting for Biden in order to vote against Trump. Why not just go full racist? What's holding you back?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Just vote for Howie Hawkins on the Green ticket, folks. We leftists don’t have anything to lose with the Democrats.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Haha

nooo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Of course they care. If their platform gets too progressive people might start actually expecting things which will be a real bad look in four years. I also suspect that the donor base doesn’t 100% trust the Democrats either and pandering too far left might spook them away.

None of this changes the fact that a platform is basically just the “what we believe in” section of a company website though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

spunkshui posted:

The word seem is doing Herculean levels of work in this sentence.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

A4R8 posted:

Just vote for Howie Hawkins on the Green ticket, folks. We leftists don’t have anything to lose with the Democrats.

What if we don't like the green party either? Can't I just write in Bernie and be happy?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Of course they care. If their platform gets too progressive people might start actually expecting things which will be a real bad look in four years. I also suspect that the donor base doesn’t 100% trust the Democrats either and pandering too far left might spook them away.

None of this changes the fact that a platform is basically just the “what we believe in” section of a company website though.

I’m not gonna worry about it because a bunch of billionaires are just going to buy the votes for Biden! Thats why we didn’t want Bernie’s ridiculous pledges, remember?

We just have to fix the fact that Trump was able to spend more money than Hillary in 2016.

Bloomberg showed us that this is a viable path to victory!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If Biden doesn't denounce this immediately he will lose

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1254829181235539969?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What if we don't like the green party either? Can't I just write in Bernie and be happy?

voting for someone on the ballot ensures your vote is counted. some states dont look at write-ins unless theres a recount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Somfin posted:

Ugh, this sentence by sentence poo poo is such trash. In this post you say that it's meant to win voters, then you say it doesn't matter, and then you say that I can't be persuaded anyway.

You also single out anti-Trump folks. Do you think that a sufficiently vile platform can't turn them away? Voting against someone is notoriously unreliable as a voter base; they're already on shaky ground and could be convinced that they're doing good with a sufficiently lefty platform. But they won't get one now.

You are entirely relying on people voting for Biden in order to vote against Trump. Why not just go full racist? What's holding you back?

What world do you live in where progressives who weren't already willing to vote for anyone other than Trump, were persuadable by the party platform? The night of Super Tuesday, we already had a bunch of people saying they will never vote for Biden, under any circumstances.

The entire point of my argument is that making concessions to the left doesn't matter (tactically). You are not winning back a single one of those staunchly anti-Biden progressives with any platform concessions. I am not even pro-Biden, just pointing out how silly it is to expect the establishment to do something that doesn't gain them anything. If Biden agreed to the GND in the platform, does that win over any Never-Bidens? No, you are going to assume he is lying, and at most will put some lame effort into something that he knows will die in committee just to say he tried, and then get back to granting fracking permits.

Biden, like Hillary, is going to live and die entirely on the anti-Trump vote. He very likely does not win, and I didn't think he would win even pre-rape story. Giving Bernie more of a say in drafting the platform and rules for 2024 is not going to change that, and that is why they aren't going to try.