Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TyrantWD posted:

Denver International Airport stands out as an oddity.

If you are not familiar with the DIA conspiracies it's a fun read. They lean into it in their marketing too so it's good fun, not just craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

It's quite true that any form of interstellar travel is quite impossible under our current understanding of physics, however, our current understanding of physics is deeply flawed and we know it, we just don't have anything better. Everything we know about physics is derived from the standard model, and while the standard model is really really good at predicting all kinds of interactions that are useful for us, it can only explain three of the four primary forces of the universe. (Gravity cannot be accounted for by the standard model)

For this and several other reasons it's believed that the standard model is probably wrong in some way, which means a whole lot of our assumptions about physics are also wrong, we just don't have anything better yet.

If you can functionally travel faster than light (functionally is important here, you don't have to actually travel faster than light), you can send information back in time.

This doesn't necessarily mean workarounds don't exist, it just means that the whole linear time thing becomes much less of a concern for aliens and alien-theories if they do.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If you are not familiar with the DIA conspiracies it's a fun read. They lean into it in their marketing too so it's good fun, not just craziness.

i mean they definitively have a blood-magic creepy horse statue so

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

1glitch0 posted:

I think the best proof that UFOs don't exist is that back in the 90s every hillbilly and their uncle had grainy footage of... something in the sky. Then suddenly when everyone had a high tech camera in their pocket at all times those videos just stopped.

to be fair, like 99% of these were videos of parachute flares which look exceptionally unnatural the first time you see them blink in and then out of being

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, that's very much a "Some nation's intelligence agency, possibly one of our own, has a very cool new toy drone."

The video PJ linked is almost certainly a deliberate and intentional interaction between some experimental program and a carrier group after someone got curious how they would perform in a semi-real intercept situation. That someone got an urgent phone call about 'you didn't just scramble armed jets, right?' and they double checked that no one had weapons is kinda the icing on that. of course that also explains why they were deliberately trying to be seen and interacting.

Or, yknow aliens

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 28, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The UW system includes an R1 research university, public broadcasting, and medical centers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TyrantWD posted:

Denver International Airport stands out as an oddity.

Appropriate response while we're derailing about aliens and conspiracies. That is the one of the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever heard that is objectively bizarre and weird.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A lot of those universities have big hospital and healthcare systems. Denver airport being there means Colorado doesn't have a good public university system.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Has there ever been any proper explanation why denver airport is a swastica? I can see it being useful to land 4 planes at same time but you can probably do it without a swastica making it more effective?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you can functionally travel faster than light (functionally is important here, you don't have to actually travel faster than light), you can send information back in time.

This doesn't necessarily mean workarounds don't exist, it just means that the whole linear time thing becomes much less of a concern for aliens and alien-theories if they do.

i mean they definitively have a blood-magic creepy horse statue so

Blucifer killed the man that made him so yeah, it's probably the most metal airport mascot.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When they lock onto it and all start whooping, are they shooting at it? That’s the one thing I would expect of the American military. I mean, did they think it was some kind of airplane and try calling it?

These were taken on training missions while the carriers were still territorial waters and likely didn't have live munitions. Even if they had there is still rules of engagement to be followed getting the clearance to fire upon anything is a rarity.

1glitch0 posted:

I think the best proof that UFOs don't exist is that back in the 90s every hillbilly and their uncle had grainy footage of... something in the sky. Then suddenly when everyone had a high tech camera in their pocket at all times those videos just stopped.

They haven't stopped. There are still videos that pop up pretty regularly but they don't get the promotion anymore since there aren't a lot of television and whatnot to promote it anymore like there was in the 90s. The other reason is most of the UFO sightings in the 80s and 90s were secret "black" aircraft. There are still plenty flying around today but the government has gotten a lot better at keeping eyes from seeing them if at all possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is a hilarious take on the current "where's biden?" thing:

quote:

You can see this really well in media mentions in the top paragraph of stories, as measured by NewsLibrary.com. Four years ago from March 20 to April 20, Trump had about 65% of the mentions between Hillary Clinton and him. This year during the same period, Trump's gotten about 90% of the coverage dedicated to Biden or him. That is, Biden's turned a 2:1 disadvantage into a 9:1 disadvantage.

You would think that this would be a disaster for Biden. It's not happening.

These swing state polls suggest that Biden is in an improved position in the swing states than he was before the coronavirus pandemic took hold. They echo presidential approval rating polls, which show that Trump lost the ground he initially picked up as the crisis has gone on. As I noted last week, Trump had the shortest rally around the flag event in modern presidential history.

In this way, 2020 is looking a lot like the 2016 election.

Trump likely would have lost the 2016 election had the news focus been on him only. A study of news coverage of that election found that Trump's poll numbers were negatively correlated with how much news he received. Fortunately for him, the final days of the campaign were spent discussing the former director of Federal Bureau of Investigation James Comey's letter. A higher share of Hillary Clinton's coverage in that final week was spent on her alleged scandals than at any other point in the late summer or fall.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/politics/joe-biden-polling-media-exposure/index.html

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Celexi posted:

Has there ever been any proper explanation why denver airport is a swastica? I can see it being useful to land 4 planes at same time but you can probably do it without a swastica making it more effective?

And the paintings, and weird art installations, the alleged giant tunnels undernearth it.

Ray Stantz posted:

The architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Djarum posted:

These were taken on training missions while the carriers were still territorial waters and likely didn't have live munitions. Even if they had there is still rules of engagement to be followed getting the clearance to fire upon anything is a rarity.

They haven't stopped. There are still videos that pop up pretty regularly but they don't get the promotion anymore since there aren't a lot of television and whatnot to promote it anymore like there was in the 90s. The other reason is most of the UFO sightings in the 80s and 90s were secret "black" aircraft. There are still plenty flying around today but the government has gotten a lot better at keeping eyes from seeing them if at all possible.

Yeah as someone who spent a bunch of time in rural desert areas and knew a ton of other weird rural desert people: there was so much military experimental and training activity that people were absolutely bumping into all kinds of weird stuff. just by weird stuff I mean weird military cutting edge tech and not ~aliens~

Nowadays if you wanted to test something and wanted to make sure it wasn't seen, you'd do it off of a remote island out in the pacific or something, not 100 miles from vegas

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The video PJ linked is almost certainly a deliberate and intentional interaction between some experimental program and a carrier group after someone got curious how they would perform in a semi-real intercept situation. That someone got an urgent phone call about 'you didn't just scramble armed jets, right?' and they double checked that no one had weapons is kinda the icing on that. of course that also explains why they were deliberately trying to be seen and interacting.

The F-18s in the videos were the first wing to have the new radar upgrades. My theory is they were some sort of sub launched drone with optical camouflage/stealth coating that was being tested against. From interviews from the pilots that they had seen them before but could never get a radar lock/signature on them prior to the upgrade.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

honestly, i dont think the article is awful outside that really dumbass sentence.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The better version
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1254488691537588229

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Djarum posted:

The F-18s in the videos were the first wing to have the new radar upgrades. My theory is they were some sort of sub launched drone with optical camouflage/stealth coating that was being tested against. From interviews from the pilots that they had seen them before but could never get a radar lock/signature on them prior to the upgrade.
If it was moving oddly I just assume it was some kind of experimental drone until told otherwise

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's... not something you can determine? Like, by definition? "We don't know what it is, but we definitely know where it didn't come from."

Well, everywhere on Earth is a country, but I guess what they mean is that they know enough about other countries' militaries or spy orgs to rule them out, possibly because they also are catching unidentifiable drones. Like, if you see some drone buzzing your airfield and can figure some things out about it and you also know what kinds of drones China can make or what their intelligence agencies are up to, you can say that they don't or can't make drones like the one you saw. You could do that for every country on Earth if you had enough good information, probably:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/...harry-reid.html

quote:

“Internationally, we are the most backward country in the world on this issue,” Mr. Bigelow said in an interview. “Our scientists are scared of being ostracized, and our media is scared of the stigma. China and Russia are much more open and work on this with huge organizations within their countries. Smaller countries like Belgium, France, England and South American countries like Chile are more open, too. They are proactive and willing to discuss this topic, rather than being held back by a juvenile taboo.”

I don't know the exact context for this because the article doesn't provide it, but I would imagine they're talking about airplanes of unknown origin and not aliens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly, i dont think the article is awful outside that really dumbass sentence.

to be clear i think it's a good article, and an interesting theory. i think the conclusion (which i think has a lot of merit) that the best thing to do to win an election against trump is just to hand him a video camera and microphone and let him go nuts is hilarious - and is kind of borne out by what his news conferences are doing. didn't mean to imply the article was bad.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

If it was moving oddly I just assume it was some kind of experimental drone until told otherwise

By "moving oddly" they mean moving 100+ miles in a fraction of a second (zipping off beyond the horizon), and then returning to the previous position just as quickly.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Djarum posted:

This stuff is why the whole "too big to fail" argument just doesn't hold any water for me. You are going to tell me if Walmart goes out of business someone is going to open grocery or department stores? If one of these massive banks goes under that you aren't going to see local community banks and/or credit unions take the slack? If an airline goes under that someone isn't going to start a new one? It is all bullshit put out by the wealthy so they don't have to deal with the ramifications of their own actions.

That's an incredibly rosy attitude that Wal-Mart would be replaced by small businesses instead of Amazon or Wal-Mart 2.0 Now With A Social Media Engine

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Yeah as someone who spent a bunch of time in rural desert areas and knew a ton of other weird rural desert people: there was so much military experimental and training activity that people were absolutely bumping into all kinds of weird stuff. just by weird stuff I mean weird military cutting edge tech and not ~aliens~

Nowadays if you wanted to test something and wanted to make sure it wasn't seen, you'd do it off of a remote island out in the pacific or something, not 100 miles from vegas

Well Groom Lake is actually a great spot for testing, even more so now with the Government closing off nearly every vantage point of the complex. You have almost no human habitation for thousands of miles within the complex, you can get sensitive things in and out without prying eyes. You can get something in the air, to altitude and then go to the Northwest for overland testing with limited exposure eyes or hit the Pacific within minutes which you can also have limited/no visibility.

For military aircraft, they can hit 50,000+ feet quickly, avoid commercial traffic, keep their airspeed under military power and almost no one is going to question what a speck of an aircraft is at that altitude if they can see it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/1254904577981394949?s=21

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

skeleton warrior posted:

That's an incredibly rosy attitude that Wal-Mart would be replaced by small businesses instead of Amazon or Wal-Mart 2.0 Now With A Social Media Engine

Well I do think we need some robust anti-trust legistation and start breaking many of these companies apart to never allow them to merge together again. Frankly the fact that the only way for companies to "grow" is to buy/absorb their competition isn't healthy and we frankly shouldn't allow it anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Djarum posted:

Well Groom Lake is actually a great spot for testing, even more so now with the Government closing off nearly every vantage point of the complex. You have almost no human habitation for thousands of miles within the complex, you can get sensitive things in and out without prying eyes. You can get something in the air, to altitude and then go to the Northwest for overland testing with limited exposure eyes or hit the Pacific within minutes which you can also have limited/no visibility.

For military aircraft, they can hit 50,000+ feet quickly, avoid commercial traffic, keep their airspeed under military power and almost no one is going to question what a speck of an aircraft is at that altitude if they can see it.

I'm reminded of how the existence of the B-2 was revealed to the public. The skunkworks team was showing it off the Air Force brass so the USAF had imposed like a 50 mile no fly zone around the base it was at... horizontally. So a team of reporters from Aviation Week flew over it outside the NFZ's altitude restriction and snapped a bunch of pics of it on the tarmac, so the Air Force was forced to go "Uhhh. Well. poo poo."

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

evilweasel posted:

to be clear i think it's a good article, and an interesting theory. i think the conclusion (which i think has a lot of merit) that the best thing to do to win an election against trump is just to hand him a video camera and microphone and let him go nuts is hilarious - and is kind of borne out by what his news conferences are doing. didn't mean to imply the article was bad.

Especially when Trump's opponents are Clinton or Biden who have favorability and enthusiasm problems and a fractious Dem coalition. If you've got an Obama for your nominee, yeah absolutely put them on TV as much as possible. We don't have anywhere near Obama levels of charisma available, though.

Hopefully even if Biden stays out of the spotlight and just lets Trump be loudly stupid, Biden and the Dems are still working on ground game and downticket races.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Djarum posted:

Well I do think we need some robust anti-trust legistation and start breaking many of these companies apart to never allow them to merge together again. Frankly the fact that the only way for companies to "grow" is to buy/absorb their competition isn't healthy and we frankly shouldn't allow it anymore.

and that's why you should sign my petition to lift my restraining order keeping me from entering Theodore Roosevelt's gravesite over "attempted necromancy"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A lot of those universities have big hospital and healthcare systems. Denver airport being there means Colorado doesn't have a good public university system.

The UC Health system is huge and very, very good

DIA is just bigger

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skeleton warrior posted:

yeah if amazon didn't exist maybe. but amazon already has the distribution logistics to set up an Amazon-Mart in like a few months or so.

course amazon's gonna have the same "wait all our poo poo is from china" problem

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

evilweasel posted:

I wonder about this. Apparently trump appeals to people's desire for authoritarians, but he also triggers their instinct to protect children (or something). When the media was treating him fairly -- I mean, like, actually holding him accountable for things, bringing up facts to point out how full of poo poo he was -- the public reacted to that very negatively. Even people who thought he was a total loving joke felt Megyn Kelly was too hard on him that one time in her life she ever did a journalism, for example.

The bigger issue with the media is less 'how much' and more 'at who' I think. Trump is in the media literally all the time, but it's always from the perspective of him either being a victim of something unfair, or as him striking back at said unfairness. You very rarely see a piece about him that isn't heavily tinged in painting him as some kind embattled figure, and the narrative of his base reflects that. Biden on the other hand doesn't seem to receive the same treatment. Just from today, Business Insider says "A former neighbor of Joe Biden's accuser Tara Reade has come forward to corroborate her sexual-assault account, saying Reade discussed the allegations in detail in the mid-1990s" as a title, but for Trump it says, "Trump is renewing his attack on Fox News, accusing his favorite network of repeating 'Democrat talking points'".

I may lean a little too heavily into Sapir-Whorf with this, but I honestly think the priming of the populace via word choice has a demonstrable effect on how people see things. The media seems content to treat Biden more "fairly" than Trump, so he gets more clinical and centered pieces with mild obfuscation, while Trump is almost uniformly the subject of everything he's involved in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait. . . Am I Joe Biden?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Well, everywhere on Earth is a country, but I guess what they mean is that they know enough about other countries' militaries or spy orgs to rule them out, possibly because they also are catching unidentifiable drones. Like, if you see some drone buzzing your airfield and can figure some things out about it and you also know what kinds of drones China can make or what their intelligence agencies are up to, you can say that they don't or can't make drones like the one you saw. You could do that for every country on Earth if you had enough good information, probably:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/...harry-reid.html

I don't know the exact context for this because the article doesn't provide it, but I would imagine they're talking about airplanes of unknown origin and not aliens.

That article and a few other articles at the time were noting that the really concerning thing was the possible number of sightings. There's been a similar push to not ostracize pilots as hard for reporting sightings. In the past, supposedly, commercial pilots who reported seeing weird stuff were immediately flagged and grounded with harsh requirements for eye exams and mental health screenings. This had led to rumors that most pilots are regularly seeing weird little drones/craft and staying quiet, which ties into the sudden panic that there's a ton of poo poo in our airspace that we don't seem to know much about because no one's reporting it.

It's either random countries dicking around with experimental drones, private parties loving around for unknown reasons, or gently caress it, maybe it was aliens after all. I swear every other old conspiracy theory is getting confirmed as true this year so why not aliens? :shrug:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It’s not aliens because that’s silly, but the military has been more open about acknowledging that the US is having its airspace entered by aircraft that it can’t identify and is confident aren’t from a country. The NYT did a big story on it a few years ago. The senate appropriated funding for a vault to store everything recovered from encounters with these aircraft and was in charge of efforts to identify whatever it is.

It can’t be anything mindblowing because Trump would have tweeted about it if there was a supervillain or aliens or something.

Yeah this is how I know we haven't encountered extraterrestrial beings yet, because Donald Trump would've told everyone by now, much like how he kept showing off classified photos of possible Iranian missile sites and a bunch of other things he wasn't supposed to be showing people.

EDIT:

I love how the bulk of the first few responses are in the vein of "who the hell is this" :laffo:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Prester Jane posted:

I mean.....

It's quite true that any form of interstellar travel is quite impossible under our current understanding of physics, however, our current understanding of physics is deeply flawed and we know it, we just don't have anything better. Everything we know about physics is derived from the standard model, and while the standard model is really really good at predicting all kinds of interactions that are useful for us, it can only explain three of the four primary forces of the universe. (Gravity cannot be accounted for by the standard model)

For this and several other reasons it's believed that the standard model is probably wrong in some way, which means a whole lot of our assumptions about physics are also wrong, we just don't have anything better yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGS2aWUKZ38

Why do you say interstellar travel is impossible with our understanding of physics? Extrasolar captures and interstellar objects are physical proof that interstellar travel happens as a natural phenomenon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

ok. sorry. yeah i think its clear alot of folks are just loving tired of trump and his weird bullshit and him screaming and obviously bullshiting isnt helping him anymore.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

For the last time Rudy, no you are not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ershalim posted:

I wonder about this. Apparently trump appeals to people's desire for authoritarians, but he also triggers their instinct to protect children (or something). When the media was treating him fairly -- I mean, like, actually holding him accountable for things, bringing up facts to point out how full of poo poo he was -- the public reacted to that very negatively. Even people who thought he was a total loving joke felt Megyn Kelly was too hard on him that one time in her life she ever did a journalism, for example.

The bigger issue with the media is less 'how much' and more 'at who' I think. Trump is in the media literally all the time, but it's always from the perspective of him either being a victim of something unfair, or as him striking back at said unfairness. You very rarely see a piece about him that isn't heavily tinged in painting him as some kind embattled figure, and the narrative of his base reflects that. Biden on the other hand doesn't seem to receive the same treatment. Just from today, Business Insider says "A former neighbor of Joe Biden's accuser Tara Reade has come forward to corroborate her sexual-assault account, saying Reade discussed the allegations in detail in the mid-1990s" as a title, but for Trump it says, "Trump is renewing his attack on Fox News, accusing his favorite network of repeating 'Democrat talking points'".

I may lean a little too heavily into Sapir-Whorf with this, but I honestly think the priming of the populace via word choice has a demonstrable effect on how people see things. The media seems content to treat Biden more "fairly" than Trump, so he gets more clinical and centered pieces with mild obfuscation, while Trump is almost uniformly the subject of everything he's involved in.

Trump's one genuine talent aside from instantly knowing how to effectively bully someone is how he can dictate the terms by which he is understood. He carps endlessly about being treated unfairly and defending himself, and in so doing makes the world see him as an embattled figure. It's not charisma exactly, but it's uncanny. Maybe it's an effect of severe narcissism?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Why do you say interstellar travel is impossible with our understanding of physics? Extrasolar captures and interstellar objects are physical proof that interstellar travel happens as a natural phenomenon.

Hell we had an interstellar object enter the solar system not even 3 years ago. The Voyager Probes are also now interstellar objects since they've left the heliosphere.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 28, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Also important is to remember that when the SR-71 Blackbird flew around the US on it’s routine training flights, nobody in the US Air Force but the SR-71 pilots themselves know they were up there. Their flights were classified. There’s numerous stories about the SR-71 surprising the hell out of conventional Air Force fighter pilots.

My point is, it’s all like what you all have been saying. This is just yet another experiments platform that the pilots aren’t privy to and they’re running into it either on accident or on purpose. They’re aren’t any aliens.

I am a hard believer in The Dark Forest theory and if we had been visited by aliens, both our civilization and the alien’s civilization would be dead by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah this is how I know we haven't encountered extraterrestrial beings yet, because Donald Trump would've told everyone by now, much like how he kept showing off classified photos of possible Iranian missile sites and a bunch of other things he wasn't supposed to be showing people.

But you know he thinks that poo poo's boring and doesn't pay attention to anything other than body counts and the size the of the explosions. Somebody needs to get UFO specials on Fox News and see if he starts calling in.