Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gripweed posted:

If Biden doesn't denounce this immediately he will lose

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1254829181235539969?s=20

Oh man, I hope piss baby gets wind of this one. He will go loving ballistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

I am not even pro-Biden, just pointing out how silly it is to expect the establishment to do something that doesn't gain them anything.

Weird how every Biden backer isn't even pro-Biden. Every single one.

Maybe you should read what I wrote- a sufficiently right-wing platform will absolutely drive away some of the anti-Trump brigade. If that qualifies as "concessions" then, jeez, why not just go full fuckin' racist like I suggested? You've just said it won't matter. Make the Democratic party into the Anti-Chinese party, make it explicitly about race, use the party platform to super drive home how everyone the wrong eye shape are disease-spreading CPC spies and need to be forced into their own, separate set of brand new concentration camps, which will of course be privately owned to save the taxpayer money. That's where Biden's campaign ads started heading as soon as it came time for him to target Trump, how about we just make that the official party platform?

How bad does it need to get?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

What world do you live in where progressives who weren't already willing to vote for anyone other than Trump, were persuadable by the party platform? The night of Super Tuesday, we already had a bunch of people saying they will never vote for Biden, under any circumstances.

The entire point of my argument is that making concessions to the left doesn't matter (tactically). You are not winning back a single one of those staunchly anti-Biden progressives with any platform concessions. I am not even pro-Biden, just pointing out how silly it is to expect the establishment to do something that doesn't gain them anything. If Biden agreed to the GND in the platform, does that win over any Never-Bidens? No, you are going to assume he is lying, and at most will put some lame effort into something that he knows will die in committee just to say he tried, and then get back to granting fracking permits.

Biden, like Hillary, is going to live and die entirely on the anti-Trump vote. He very likely does not win, and I didn't think he would win even pre-rape story. Giving Bernie more of a say in drafting the platform and rules for 2024 is not going to change that, and that is why they aren't going to try.

I mean he could do stuff that would be a solid thing people on the left could point to and say, "okay maybe he's not lying" but it'd be stuff that he'd never, ever do in a million years like make Tlaib his VP, or release his proposed cabinet or let Bernie pick his Chief of Staff

the reason this never comes up because nobody - on either side - believes this will ever happen, and everybody believes this precisely because everybody already knows Biden would never do anything to bring the left on board. To place the blame entirely on the left for being unreasonable rather than just realistic is giving the Esptein wing of the party too much credit and making their own refusal to budge seem like the natural and correct thing

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

TyrantWD posted:

What world do you live in where progressives who weren't already willing to vote for anyone other than Trump, were persuadable by the party platform? The night of Super Tuesday, we already had a bunch of people saying they will never vote for Biden, under any circumstances.

The entire point of my argument is that making concessions to the left doesn't matter (tactically). You are not winning back a single one of those staunchly anti-Biden progressives with any platform concessions. I am not even pro-Biden, just pointing out how silly it is to expect the establishment to do something that doesn't gain them anything. If Biden agreed to the GND in the platform, does that win over any Never-Bidens? No, you are going to assume he is lying, and at most will put some lame effort into something that he knows will die in committee just to say he tried, and then get back to granting fracking permits.

Biden, like Hillary, is going to live and die entirely on the anti-Trump vote. He very likely does not win, and I didn't think he would win even pre-rape story. Giving Bernie more of a say in drafting the platform and rules for 2024 is not going to change that, and that is why they aren't going to try.

As a Bernie voted I disagree. If they were all "you guys are right. Sorry we shat on you. Well do m4a and fight for unions" I'd be like "cool let's go then"

Also assuming in this fantasy that Biden isn't a rapist obviously

Alas, it's been nothing but "gently caress those Bros," and lies and bullshit and sending people to their deaths so that people who have no say continue to have no say and also assume that the anti-trump plan gets those people to vote Biden, which works appatently.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stern is the biggest liberal dunderhead. Boosted loser Kerry, and failed Hillary.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People just love rapists for some reason

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remember Stern going off on how they definitely need to bomb the middle East after 9/11, literally saying poo poo like "turn the place into a parking lot" and stuff like that

No wonder he likes Biden lmao

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

And once again, this isn't voting against Biden or for Trump, it's a strike. when your boss thinks they can push you around you say no" and cut off their funding. You take away their money. Telling democrats "no" is the only real choice we have unless we just want to be given less and less until there's nothing left

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Stern also has a boner for Israel.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

And once again, this isn't voting against Biden or for Trump, it's a strike. when your boss thinks they can push you around you say no" and cut off their funding. You take away their money. Telling democrats "no" is the only real choice we have unless we just want to be given less and less until there's nothing left

yeah that's what I don't get about the outrage, everybody says the left needs to work to get Biden to move left, what's more effective than just straight up saying we won't vote for him because we hate Dems? Historically speaking that works like a charm because they are now aligned at all levels toward the singular purpose of making policy concessions to attract voters who hate them and refuse to vote for them, only to their right

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

I mean he could do stuff that would be a solid thing people on the left could point to and say, "okay maybe he's not lying" but it'd be stuff that he'd never, ever do in a million years like make Tlaib his VP, or release his proposed cabinet or let Bernie pick his Chief of Staff

the reason this never comes up because nobody - on either side - believes this will ever happen, and everybody believes this precisely because everybody already knows Biden would never do anything to bring the left on board. To place the blame entirely on the left for being unreasonable rather than just realistic is giving the Esptein wing of the party too much credit and making their own refusal to budge seem like the natural and correct thing

eh, i'm reserving judgement on that,

but i think anything that would make me Actually Like Biden is in fact unlikely, vs my current state of Grudgingly Tolerate and Work Toward The Unlikely Event Of Booting His rear end

state conventions, national conventions, talk to your local parties, you people know the drill but i'm gonna keep drilling it

because it's a high impact-to-effort ratio way to save the loving world

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

there are a lot of people on "the left" who are already behind biden. this thread is not a representative slice of bernie voters. biden appears to be getting much more of them than hillary is (though the lesson of 2016 is probably part, as is some former bernie voters now being unapologetic trump voters)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

eh, i'm reserving judgement on that,

but i think anything that would make me Actually Like Biden is in fact unlikely, vs my current state of Grudgingly Tolerate and Work Toward The Unlikely Event Of Booting His rear end

state conventions, national conventions, talk to your local parties, you people know the drill but i'm gonna keep drilling it

because it's a high impact-to-effort ratio way to save the loving world

The party's got their guy, he's not going away. They're removing Bernie from ballots and just straight up giving Biden his delegates to ensure Biden is not only The Guy, but that he also has dictatorial control of the entire platform and DNC

He's not shifting, and if you succeed in owning the libs at the conventions they are under no obligation to actually respect the results

I don't mean to be a debbie downer and it's good that you're getting involved and ideally radicalizing people to godless communism, but if you're hoping for some come to god moment at anything above the city level you're gonna end up even madder than before

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rainbow Knight posted:

The rich will never stop donating to the Democrats.

If the Dems lose, repubs win, and rich people's taxes stay low.

If the Dems win, rich people want them to represent their interests and keep taxes much lower than they would be under a non shitlib administration.

It is always to the benefit of rich people to support the DNC.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

there are a lot of people on "the left" who are already behind biden. this thread is not a representative slice of bernie voters. biden appears to be getting much more of them than hillary is (though the lesson of 2016 is probably part, as is some former bernie voters now being unapologetic trump voters)

You have yet to answer- what could possibly change your mind on being pro-Biden and pro-Democrat? What would they have to do to shake you out of your "I definitely reasoned myself into this" position?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

The party's got their guy, he's not going away. They're removing Bernie from ballots and just straight up giving Biden his delegates to ensure Biden is not only The Guy, but that he also has dictatorial control of the entire platform and DNC

He's not shifting, and if you succeed in owning the libs at the conventions they are under no obligation to actually respect the results

I don't mean to be a debbie downer and it's good that you're getting involved and ideally radicalizing people to godless communism, but if you're hoping for some come to god moment at anything above the city level you're gonna end up even madder than before

- they are removing bernie from ballots
- they are not currently straight up giving biden his delegates, that decision will be made by the NY state party and/or the DNC and/or the convention, I don't know (yet?)
- the libs are, to some degree, obligated to respect the results, but that probably won't matter earthshakingly this year
- it's quite likely i'll end up even madder than before
- my dumb quixotic crusade for 2024 will probably be entertaining at worst

edit: - in states where delegates are yet to be assigned, goons can file to run as bideners for state and national convention

Somfin posted:

Momma always said I was gonna end up mad, red, and nude online

oh no, yours did too? :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Epic High Five posted:

yeah that's what I don't get about the outrage, everybody says the left needs to work to get Biden to move left, what's more effective than just straight up saying we won't vote for him because we hate Dems? Historically speaking that works like a charm because they are now aligned at all levels toward the singular purpose of making policy concessions to attract voters who hate them and refuse to vote for them, only to their right

I think it's for the same reasons that union actions don't need unanimous concent. There are people with more to lose than others and the risk of losing what little they have is terrifying. But just going with that trend of "do more with less" will always go in the direction of less.

Voting with the dnc every time just gives them more room to take from the you so don't do it, friends.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- they are removing bernie from ballots
- they are not currently straight up giving biden his delegates
- the libs are, to some degree, obligated to respect the results, but that probably won't matter earthshakingly this year
- it's quite likely i'll end up even madder than before
- my dumb quixotic crusade for 2024 will probably be entertaining

Momma always said I was gonna end up mad, red, and nude online

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Bernie to Biden feels very, very different this time around than Bernie to Hillary was, and in 2016 I was a a horrible hill shill. I can't find a single person who has a good thing to say about Biden even among his supporters, hardly any irl even chide me for outright refusing to vote for him, they agree he's bad and they wish it was somebody else, etc etc. Getting Bernie people on board with Hillary was easy enough in 2016, how's that going this time around in your experience?

Hillary had a lot of enthusiasm among the base for all her faults because she was the embodiment of the machine and Obama's chosen successor, and she had the whole First Woman President thing. Biden's got no hooks for people

None of this gets better for him, it only gets worse, that's how it goes with candidates whose best strategy is to not be seen or heard, ever, because unlike last time the rammed through nominee is going to also be contending with lots of people who voted Hillary working overtime to ensure he loses barring him doing something real (he will not), because this time the party has outright said that his people have no place in the tent, so just vote third party you stupid commies

Bernie to Trump is negligible and has always been a Russiagate level excuse to avoid introspection. The real thing for Dems to look at is Obama to Trump voters, but figuring out why they lost them would result in some unpleasant truths so they never will

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i got owned posted:

The rich will never stop donating to the Democrats.

If the Dems lose, repubs win, and rich people's taxes stay low.

If the Dems win, rich people want them to represent their interests and keep taxes much lower than they would be under a non shitlib administration.

It is always to the benefit of rich people to support the DNC.

If people en masse "went on strike," what point is there to donate more to a party that will lose? They could just lobby to republicans and probably get something with their money, imo.

Obviously this isn't realistic (yet) because not everyone will "strike" and the movement is still small, but one day it's going to pick up because the choice will be fight or die by way of climate change and all the calamities that go with it I think

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Bernie to Trump is negligible and has always been a Russiagate level excuse to avoid introspection. The real thing for Dems to look at is Obama to Trump voters, but figuring out why they lost them would result in some unpleasant truths so they never will

There have been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, speculating about the pros and cons of Trump winning versus Biden winning, the suggestion usually coming down to "gently caress I don't know but they both seem really bad, at least one's over sooner." There have also been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, saying that they won't vote for Biden because of various issues around him as a person and as a candidate. There have also been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, saying that they'll withhold their vote entirely because they don't like either of the candidates.

If you firmly believe in a vote for a third party being a vote for Trump, or that not voting for Biden is "electoral arson" (thanks Twitter checkmark), then this is all "Bernie to Trump."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Somfin posted:

There have been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, speculating about the pros and cons of Trump winning versus Biden winning, the suggestion usually coming down to "gently caress I don't know but they both seem really bad, at least one's over sooner." There have also been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, saying that they won't vote for Biden because of various issues around him as a person and as a candidate. There have also been folks in here who were probably Bernie voters, saying that they'll withhold their vote entirely because they don't like either of the candidates.

If you firmly believe in a vote for a third party being a vote for Trump, or that not voting for Biden is "electoral arson" (thanks Twitter checkmark), then this is all "Bernie to Trump."

I mean if somebody is struggling hard enough to ignore actual analysis of results to the point that every single person who doesn't vote for Biden is voting for Trump, then Trump's gonna win 50 states, it's not even a contest, he'd be going from like 18% of the eligible population to almost 60%

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Somfin posted:

Weird how every Biden backer isn't even pro-Biden. Every single one.

Maybe you should read what I wrote- a sufficiently right-wing platform will absolutely drive away some of the anti-Trump brigade. If that qualifies as "concessions" then, jeez, why not just go full fuckin' racist like I suggested? You've just said it won't matter. Make the Democratic party into the Anti-Chinese party, make it explicitly about race, use the party platform to super drive home how everyone the wrong eye shape are disease-spreading CPC spies and need to be forced into their own, separate set of brand new concentration camps, which will of course be privately owned to save the taxpayer money. That's where Biden's campaign ads started heading as soon as it came time for him to target Trump, how about we just make that the official party platform?

How bad does it need to get?

I've been pretty consistently anti-Biden since before a single ballot was cast in the primaries.,

Epic High Five posted:

Rainbow Knight posted:

As a Bernie voted I disagree. If they were all "you guys are right. Sorry we shat on you. Well do m4a and fight for unions" I'd be like "cool let's go then"

Also assuming in this fantasy that Biden isn't a rapist obviously

Alas, it's been nothing but "gently caress those Bros," and lies and bullshit and sending people to their deaths so that people who have no say continue to have no say and also assume that the anti-trump plan gets those people to vote Biden, which works appatently.

Giving up the VP spot is the only thing that would work, but that is obviously never going to happen - especially given Biden's health. I think even Biden staffers would admit if pressed that there is a good chance he wouldn't make it to the end of his first term, and he almost certainly wouldn't be physically or mentally capable of running for re-election, so the VP selection is incredibly important to his backers.

On the policy fronts, you would be right to skeptical about any concession. His record, and even recent statements made during the primary season doesn't really give you any confidence in him pushing for m4a, or sweeping changes on the environment, or any of major progressive issues. If you had someone who could more credibly make concessions, the establishment would probably be making more of an effort, because they could conceivably win over some hesitant Bernie supporters. Biden is running on the fact that he is going to take us back to a less awful time, not forward into a better one. Any concession to Bernie is going to come across as really hollow, but they know that, and we know that, so we shouldn't be surprised that they aren't really going to waste their time trying.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

TyrantWD posted:

I've been pretty consistently anti-Biden since before a single ballot was cast in the primaries.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm just over-tuned to seeing the words "I don't even like Biden, that's the crazy thing" and assuming that what I'm about to read is a bunch of pro-Biden stuff about how actually we do need to question people who come forward against powerful men, especially if they ever wrote an essay that involved the word "Russia."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What if we don't like the green party either? Can't I just write in Bernie and be happy?

Here's the thing though: If enough people vote Green to get them recognized as a legitimate party, that will piss the Dems off more than anything.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the_steve posted:

Here's the thing though: If enough people vote Green to get them recognized as a legitimate party, that will piss the Dems off more than anything.

It would piss them off, but also scare the poo poo out of them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

1glitch0 posted:

It would piss them off, but also scare the poo poo out of them.

If they move left hard enough to re-absorb Green voters, they'll probably convince me in the process

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah exactly: it's one thing to go on about "the platform" and TyrantWD is right that no one gives a poo poo about that or is going to be persuaded by it. That's different from picking Tlaib or Nina Turner as his VP and stuffing his cabinet with communists. The flaw in TyrantWD's reasoning is that he's basically complaining that progressives won't be won over by transparently disingenuous bullshit, so the DNC isn't going to bother with transparently disingenuous bullshit - but he's turning that into some kind of flaw in the way the progressive left is approaching this election. It's not that.

Having said that, obviously I am not getable: I made a promise. But establishment Dems could pursue the leftist and progressive vote, if they wanted to, and capture a lot of it. They are choosing not to.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

When campaigns write headlines

https://twitter.com/postpolitics/status/1254957071562407939?s=21

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ahahaha, good lord.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

This isn’t how Republicans get driven right, btw. They fear the chuds because chuds actually successfully primary them. Chuds don’t imagine they successfully will “strike” in the general and get a better deal.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 28, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The article's first line posted:

Some allies of President Trump pointed Monday to new claims by a woman who said she was told about sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden decades ago, renewing attention to questions about the past behavior of the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Yup, in order to question Biden, you gotta be a Trump ally

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Booourns posted:

So if biden wins and goes on to be such a terrible president for the next two years that the republicans take the house in 2022, then there's nothing to stop them from chain impeaching until they get a republican in the white house right?

Them and what 67 seats will accomplish this?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

Them and what 67 seats will accomplish this?

Only need a house majority to impeach

Dems could've turned the thing into an expose on his corruption that lasted until the election, but of course it's the Dems so we get the bare minimum designed from the outset to fail

Obama and the Dem legacy of this era is gonna be losing to an impeached game show host a end time lmao

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think as a voter it's OK for me to decide that my political party choosing a guy accused of rape, with tons of footage of him making women and young girls uncomfortable with his unwanted touching, who openly insulted and said he didn't care about my demographic voting bloc, and has made racist remarks in the past shouldn't automatically get my vote and that in fact he is a bad candidate for those reasons on top of his poor policies.

To try and shame people into voting for someone like that because they are the "lesser of two evils" indicates that the candidate is openly accepted as being "evil" and that the person making the argument is an infant.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yronic heroism posted:

This isn’t how Republicans get driven right, btw. They fear the chuds because chuds actually successfully primary them. Chuds don’t imagine they successfully will “strike” and get a better deal.

Hey. You never answered my question about how you fight fascism more than anyone else in this thread. Why are you afraid to answer that request for you to elaborate more.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

If Biden doesn't denounce this immediately he will lose

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1254829181235539969?s=20

Howard you're doing great honey

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Hey. You never answered my question about how you fight fascism more than anyone else in this thread.

I never said that, since as you can see my post was directed at one poster.

Epic High Five posted:

Dems could've turned the thing into an expose on his corruption that lasted until the election, but of course it's the Dems so we get the bare minimum designed from the outset to fail

Obama and the Dem legacy of this era is gonna be losing to an impeached game show host a end time lmao

Epic High Five posted:

First, the OP clearly seemed to think there would somehow be impeachment and removal. Second, lol if you think the virus wouldn’t have sucked all the air out of the impeachment if it went longer.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If they meant impeach and convict why did they say it would happen over and over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hey wait a second you were the OP I was responding to