Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm asking more about spells. Like Dark Riesz + Hawkeye doubling stat downs. Also, in the OG, Kevin's Pressure Point was essentially a personal Strength Up that was superfluous if you had Light Riesz.

You can't stack stat downs of the same type with each other, so if only use Dark Riesz if Hawkeye is Light or vice versa.

Also, someone put up a video of them fighting Dark Lich without NG+ and he's probably harder than Mondoragon now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q4yMbVwTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Finished my first playthrough with Riesz(Star Lancer), Hawkeye(Master Ninja), and Angela(Grand Diviner). Well, at least that was the party for most of the game, until Angela literally soloed the final dungeon and the postgame dungeon.

The tipping point when she first started getting really powerful was unlocking the Grand Diviner passive, which restores 15% mp after every fight, so you can cast a bunch of spells without running out. Then on top of that I had:

-Riesz with her ghost parents chain abililty that restores 5% hp/mp for the whole party after each fight, plus the alchemy one thats 5 mp every 5 seconds
-Blessing which gives a 20% chance for spells to cast for free
-Some other ability that reduces all spell costs by 30%
-Mystic Queen passive that lets her ignore all resistances and deal full damage regardless
-True Queen chain ability that autocasts the magic attack/magic defense up buff at the start of every fight
-Something like 40% crit
-A bunch of damage passives, including some stupid Hawkeye chain ability that gives +sixty percent bonus damage against enemies with status effects

So basically the strat was:

weak enemies: spam Lucent Beam+
strong enemies: spam Lucent Beam+
enemies weak vs holy: spam Lucent Beam+
enemies strong vs holy: spam Lucent Beam+ since resistances don't even work against her
final bosses: spam Lucent Beam+ because of course they're weak vs. holy
the like two enemies in the game that absorb holy(floating blob guys and the flying eyes): doppelgangerrr~

She probably got like 95% of the kills after she got set up properly. So that was fun, but now I'm looking forward to using the other three characters in new game+ and doing the opposite with Kevin/Duran teaming up for a physical damage rear end-whomping party.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wait, with MDEF being based on SPR now, does INT do anything for Kevin/Duran? Do class strikes scale with INT?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was excited when they first announced chain abilities being a thing, and I'm glad it's heavily expanded the theorycrafting for teambuilding ridiculous combinations

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

YggiDee posted:

(Incidentally, how do Fatal Fist and Enlightened compare?)
As mentioned above, Fatal Fist is a two-trick pony of turning enemies into paste.
Enlightened is the one trick pony of 'haha i'm immune to damage for 10 seconds, Suzaku Sky Dance.'
With the Lil Cactus stuff and the CS saver abilities Kevin ends encounters almost immediately on normal. Probably on hard too (with Riesz's Pinpoint ability on.)

I've entered the post game stuff for my first run through of dark Kevin/light Charlotte/dark Riesz. The only time I've game overed was against the Black Rabite and that's because I fought it 'early' (before I beat the base game while 13 levels below it) and got my butt Jumbo-Whomped. Second time around I used my Class Strikes a bit more liberally against it and won pretty comfortably (3 Cups used vs. 8 beforehand :v:) Kevin ripped through all of the Big Attack Weakpoints by himself so I could save CS gauge for the Rabite itself.

Even with Light/Light Charlotte's ability to 'overheal' by 30% and with Weaken/whatever Spell Power Down is +12% on it, Black Rabite could one shot any of my characters from full health with one of it's attacks.

My NG+ Team will probably be going forward on Hard (assuming you can set difficulty for that.)

gandlethorpe posted:

So on that note, how do buffs work? In the old game, there were basically 3 modes: debuffed, neutral, and buffed, and there was no variance in power or stacking. Based on some ability descriptions, it sounds like buffs can vary in power. Is there stacking as well?

It's still the same 3 modes, with buffing/debuffing canceling each other out and requiring another buff/debuff to get to that state. Abilities do increase the power of the buff/debuff but from what I've seen there is no same-type stacking. What you buff/debuff is what you get.
Another note is that Light/Light Charlotte gets the Attack Saber II ability (Saber spells cost more MP but also buff damage by 25%) which does stack with Attack Up Buffs.
Beastform Kevin + Drake Scale + Holy Saber w/ability + Defenseless +12% w/Riesz's abilities = 8204 damage from an Abyssal Slice. Tormented Soul indeed.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 28, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Selane posted:

-Riesz with her ghost parents chain abililty that restores 5% hp/mp for the whole party after each fight, plus the alchemy one thats 5 mp every 5 seconds

I have Angela and am Very Interested in these.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I have Angela and am Very Interested in these.

secret boss Black rabite is your friend, he gives you chain ability that drops in battle MP costs to..... 0

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dackel posted:

secret boss Black rabite is your friend, he gives you chain ability that drops in battle MP costs to..... 0

:aaaaa:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, with MDEF being based on SPR now, does INT do anything for Kevin/Duran? Do class strikes scale with INT?

You can throw items that do magic damage that scale off INT. Some of these items are actually stronger than spells you aquire. These items were probably a carryover from the original where sometimes Duran and Kevin can't hit far away enemies so they give you stuff to throw to do damage just in case.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

gandlethorpe posted:

Ok, this seems to be the case. Makes sense, otherwise Angela's class strikes wouldn't be hitting for 100 damage in the demo. That means Kevin should be able to pump STR and INT for insane Kamehamehas :getin:

Lord Ephraim posted:

You can throw items that do magic damage that scale off INT. Some of these items are actually stronger than spells you aquire. These items were probably a carryover from the original where sometimes Duran and Kevin can't hit far away enemies so they give you stuff to throw to do damage just in case.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be totally ineffective with the items. But luckily, it seems that class strikes scale off of both ATK and MATK.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven’t put a single one of Duran’s training point into INT. Hopefully that wasn’t a mistake?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

There's an npc in the night market who can reset training points

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Do different ranks of skills stack?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I haven't put a single point into INT for Kevin and he rips things in half effortlessly.

The only trouble I had with ranged enemies was my first visit to the sands where I punted a few of them into the sand areas and had a hard time finishing them off (to which I switched to Carlie and holy bolted them.)

ultrachrist posted:

Do different ranks of skills stack?

Yes, you can equip both at once. It's how I've gotten the 12% debuff increase on my Reisz, from her 5% and 7% both being equipped.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been giving INT to Kevin but that's because I'm aiming for the '40% extra damage to enemies with status effects' and combining it with the forty ways Hawkeye can poison someone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just finished my first game, with Star Lancer Riesz, Ninja Master Hawkeye, and Grand Diviner Angela. Angela was nuking the poo poo out of things by the end, and the lack of healing was really only an issue in the midgame. Although I was only playing on normal mode...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume stat debuffs don't count as a status effect for that skill, since the "heal statuses" item doesn't affect them.
E: to be clear, asking for myself.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 28, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Which Benevodon should I kill first??? Moon boy?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I haven’t put a single one of Duran’s training point into INT. Hopefully that wasn’t a mistake?

i havent either and im doing fine at level 60ish. even without the healing boost skills i can still keep everyones hp up fine with the liege multiheal. i dunno if his dark classes use int.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have slain three Benevodons and have yet to get a ??? seed or any item for turning into a new class and it's pissing me off! I get most chests, so I wonder whats' going on here.

Unless I did get items but didn't realize.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh yeah, are those shields that were for sale pretty early on the only ones that reduce elemental damage? Or will I find better versions of them later?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have so many damage modifiers I almost killed Anise in a single big Hawkeye crit.

Just one more boss left. Game good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I have slain three Benevodons and have yet to get a ??? seed or any item for turning into a new class and it's pissing me off! I get most chests, so I wonder whats' going on here.

There's a ??? seed in a chest in every Benevedon dungeon except for Dangaard's, one in Nevarl/Altena/Forola, and one in Pedan.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

jokes posted:

There's one in every Benevodon dungeon but the Wind one, pull out that map and start scouring. (citation: I spent this morning looking for ??? Seeds)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh yeah, are those shields that were for sale pretty early on the only ones that reduce elemental damage? Or will I find better versions of them later?

I haven’t found any others yet but I figured they’d be a good thing to invest in and brother are they.

That and keeping anti-poison accessories on hand.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
drat this game is fun as hell. I'm rolling Duran/Angela/Kevin and forcing myself to use Duran as much as I can, but all I wanna do is go full beast mode with Kevin at all times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In the postgame dungeon, are there going to be checkpoints to go back out to the flowerpot and save without running through the whole thing?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bruceski posted:

In the postgame dungeon, are there going to be checkpoints to go back out to the flowerpot and save without running through the whole thing?

One at the halfway point and one before Anise. And yes, it feels really really long for that first halfway point teleport back

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dackel posted:

One at the halfway point and one before Anise. And yes, it feels really really long for that first halfway point teleport back

Yeah, I had to run back out because I had a thing to do, though I suppose I could've just autosaved. Also started getting paranoid about not gearing up off the seeds that dropped.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Should I be saving my old weapons and gear or can I sell it? I've been hoarding it but I haven't found a reason to do so.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just sell them all.

GinRummy
Sep 17, 2007

Overbite posted:

Should I be saving my old weapons and gear or can I sell it? I've been hoarding it but I haven't found a reason to do so.

The only reason to keep old gear is to use it in new game plus if you ever decide to reuse those characters, as you keep everything you had from your previous save, except for accessories which almost any character can use and might be worth holding on too to block out certain statuses.

That being said you also retain any levels you had on old characters if you use them again in new game plus, which makes them plenty strong even without the gear.

GinRummy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 28, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I'm on my way to get Dryad. How far into the game am I? Also where do I find the items for level 3 class change?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lezard_valeth posted:

So I'm on my way to get Dryad. How far into the game am I? Also where do I find the items for level 3 class change?

You’re nearing the end of Ch III, which is about 40-50% through the game. You won’t find ??? Seeds until Chapter V.

Is there a list of enemies that drop ??? Seeds? I beat Lightgazer as my first Benevodon but my characters are all around lv 44 and I want to get them all to their next class ASAP.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know you can get some from the Silver Wolves at Chartmoon Tower.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
wait so class change becomes accesible at level 38, but you don't get the items for it till later into the game? uuh weird decision

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Should I be saving my gold item seeds for when I have a higher level seed box, or burning through them to level up my seed box?

e: this turtle-chicken is the greatest

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 28, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Should I be saving my gold item seeds for when I have a higher level seed box, or burning through them to level up my seed box?

Yes and no. The biggest thing with item boxes and getting equipment seems to be your current class. You won't get endgame gear drops if you're still in your first class change. I tried this in NG+ with rainbow seeds and it wouldnt give me anything significant except amulets, but as soon as I class changed the item pool changed. Of course a higher seed box increases the odds of better items i guess, but you can savescum them for important gear like weapons

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lezard_valeth posted:

wait so class change becomes accesible at level 38, but you don't get the items for it till later into the game? uuh weird decision

well in the original game you didn't have the levels or the items you needed until you were on the last dungeon's doorstep so it's an improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kevin was my only party member on his feet when we cannon travelled to the Molebear Moors. I'm pretty sure that's how he landed in the original and I imagine it was intentional given the love in this game. :allears: