Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Dad's talking to the Tom Landry plate again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

An all Texas Super Bowl...his will be done.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I never really liked Hank having the whole neighborhood wrapped around his finger when it came to his prejudice against charcoal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
what part of block captain don't you understand

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Doppelganger posted:

I never really liked Hank having the whole neighborhood wrapped around his finger when it came to his prejudice against charcoal

Tasting the meat not the heat is not prejudice!!!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Kahn's debut episode is so weird in retrospect because not only does Hank willingly eat his charcoal grilled burgers, but he even says they're some of the best he's ever had. The audacity

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Marin Karin posted:

Kahn's debut episode is so weird in retrospect because not only does Hank willingly eat his charcoal grilled burgers, but he even says they're some of the best he's ever had. The audacity

I could definitely hear Hank making some comment about feeling off and "having a fugue" or something so he doesn't remember. But it would be sincere on his part because he could never betray sweet lady propane.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love Kahn's dismissiveness of their backseat grilling.

Too soon.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Doppelganger posted:

It's more that older guys in particular get mad if their close friends don't come to them for their professional services, they feel slighted.

It's like Dale and his bug spraying business, if anyone in the neighborhood called in an Orkin man he'd be hurt. And in Bobs Burgers just look at Bob and Teddy. If Bob used another handyman Teddy would lose his mind.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I love the way Hank's voice gets when he says something he would never use in daily speech, especially slang words.
"Bill, 'you...the man'."
Or when he was voicing Mr. Big.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the gatsby collection

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Christmas with the Niefkos...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACE5VtOV5sg

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

PinheadSlim posted:

It's more that older guys in particular get mad if their close friends don't come to them for their professional services, they feel slighted.

It's like Dale and his bug spraying business, if anyone in the neighborhood called in an Orkin man he'd be hurt. And in Bobs Burgers just look at Bob and Teddy. If Bob used another handyman Teddy would lose his mind.
Yeah, that tracks. Bill had a meltdown when he wasn’t even considered to replace Hank’s barber.

If I lived on Rainy St however, I’d be throwing protest bbqs with charcoal every weekend.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Doppelganger posted:

Yeah, that tracks. Bill had a meltdown when he wasn’t even considered to replace Hank’s barber.

If I lived on Rainy St however, I’d be throwing protest bbqs with charcoal every weekend.

Oh, another one of them Milton St jerks moved in.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

After Panini basing music videos on classic cartoons is apparently a whole thing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I watched KOTH regularly but not religiously when it was new up until the mid-00's. Since then I'd occasionally catch episodes, but recently I decided to binge my way through it from the beginning. I'm up to season 8. Here's my thoughts!

Season 1: Slightly awkward to watch now. Hank acts much more like Mr. Anderson here and seems older than he does for the rest of the show. Bobby being more like an inbred dimwit for the first few episodes is also awkward, as are Dale and Bill's voices. Still, it brought back lots of memories of 12 year old me being excited that there was another animated sitcom to pair with The Simpsons.

Seasons 2-4: Fantastic. I was genuinely surprised at how strong the continuity was for a late 90's sitcom, as well as how a huge amount of the most memorable moments are from these seasons. There's lots of nuance that I definitely didn't pick up on as a teen and the show touches on dark and heavy subject matter frequently. It's also less black and white compared to later seasons, with characters on each side having valid points and reasoning. Hank isn't always right and the antagonist usually isn't some obnoxious strawman like in later seasons. Basically, it feels like a show that might be released on Netflix today.

Seasons 5-6: Unfortunately you see a lot of what made seasons 2-4 so great start to phase out here. Much less continuity and more episodic. It's still very good but slides back into more of a standard animated sitcom comfort zone. There's an increased prevalence of Bobby being the main focus or conflict of most episodes, which is fine, but it starts to feel same-y.

Seasons 7-8: While overall its still fine, this is where I started to lose interest in continuing with the binge. The nuance is gone, issues are much more black and white. Too many episodes are either "Hank vs. Liberal Strawman" or "Bobby gets really into (thing) and needs to be set straight", or a combination of both. It feels like creatively they've checked out, while still having enough talent and competence to make it not suck.

Random observation: A heck of a lot of episodes have a really abrupt, cop-out, or non-ending.

Again, the show is rarely bad. After season 4 or 5 I feel its comparable to Bob's Burgers today - majority of episodes are fine but very few are memorable or stand out.

Edit: Whoops, I thought this was the TVIV thread!

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Season 5 is impeccable you rube. You, you... jackass!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Season 5 is impeccable you rube. You, you... jackass!

Things may have run together a bit during my binge, but season 7 is for sure when I felt the momentum crash.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Things may have run together a bit during my binge, but season 7 is for sure when I felt the momentum crash.

This coincides with Dave Altschuler and John Krinsky becoming the showrunners, and Mike Judge's philosophy of the show's core being sociopolitical humor overtaking Greg Daniels' focus on character development. This is why characters didn't grow or change very much after that (also due to syndication concerns), and why some characters, most notably Kahn's mother, were entirely dropped despite significant story progress (Bill was her boyfriend).

Much like Mike Scully and the second reign of Al Jean did to The Simpsons, Altschuler and Krinsky took the show in a direction that was ultimately its downfall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JfishPirate posted:

This coincides with Dave Altschuler and John Krinsky becoming the showrunners, and Mike Judge's philosophy of the show's core being sociopolitical humor overtaking Greg Daniels' focus on character development. This is why characters didn't grow or change very much after that (also due to syndication concerns), and why some characters, most notably Kahn's mother, were entirely dropped despite significant story progress (Bill was her boyfriend).

Much like Mike Scully and the second reign of Al Jean did to The Simpsons, Altschuler and Krinsky took the show in a direction that was ultimately its downfall.

IT's a bit unfair to compare KOTH to The Simpsons, because almost all the episodes are at least watchable, unlike the Simpsons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Even Mrs wakefield is watchable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JfishPirate posted:

That makes sense. Looking at the showrunners, my assessment of the seasons aligns with Greg Daniels being a showrunner for 1-4, seeing a slight slip in 5-6, and a noticeable drop from season 7 onward.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

*Nancy, fists raised to the heavens, screaming at God*

Whhyyyyy suuuuuuug???

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hey if there are any other Greg Daniels fanboys out there look what we're getting in like 4 weeks:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/space_force

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey if there are any other Greg Daniels fanboys out there look what we're getting in like 4 weeks:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/space_force

I thought John Mahoney died.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah there's no dip in season 7 lol.

https://kingofthehill.fandom.com/wiki/Season_7

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Tom Petty is shaking his head in heaven, disappointed at all the bad opinions in this thread

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Pigmalion isn't good. But then it's redeemed tenfold the next week with Megalo Dale.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

joshtothemaxx posted:

Pigmalion isn't good. But then it's redeemed tenfold the next week with Megalo Dale.

I'm not a fan of Pigmalion either but everyone else seems to love it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Tom Petty is shaking his head in heaven, disappointed at all the bad opinions in this thread

Sorry for posting outlandish opinions like "the show is never really bad but it gets less good after five or six seasons"

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

The only episode I'd cut out of here would be Racist Dawg.

Night & Deity is lowkey one of the best episodes. "THIS IS WHAT YOU DOOOO?!"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I wouldn't leave it out or anything but for some reason I've seen The Fat and the Furious a bunch of times. Probably enough times altho I do like fanboy Kahn.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Sorry for posting outlandish opinions like "the show is never really bad but it gets less good after five or six seasons"

Don't apologize to me friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bobby episodes > Peggy episodes

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

precision posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

precision posted:

https://youtu.be/zY6348R7b34