Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

I got some ants

Backyard shenanigans by Marc, on Flickr

super gross, I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I’m sure this has been asked before, but any recommendations for free and easy to use focus stacking software? I just got a new camera that does focus bracketing but it doesn’t combine the images in-camera.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’m sure this has been asked before, but any recommendations for free and easy to use focus stacking software? I just got a new camera that does focus bracketing but it doesn’t combine the images in-camera.

Zerene stacker has a 30 day free trial. Then buy it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

joat mon posted:

Zerene stacker has a 30 day free trial. Then buy it.

That our Helicon I prefer Helicon, they are not free but they are the best.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

That our Helicon I prefer Helicon, they are not free but they are the best.

I'm with jarly. They are not free, but they are the only real game in town for good results.

I've been a zerene man for years, but honestly I'm concerned that the author has really slowed the pace of software updates, while Helicon is still putting out half a dozen updates every year, including some big stuff.

About 5 or more years ago I did a bunch of side by side testing of zerene vs helicon using my free trial to do a bunch of tests of 50-100 image stacks. Back then zerene had better results for hairy subjects with overlapping features. Zerene's interface is really primitive, but at the time the results were better. It's on my to-do list to revisit that test this spring when I get some subjects in hand. Helicon has added a lot of performance updates, GPU acceleration, and UI improvements, and I'm interested in checking it out.

For me, the main thing I spend time with in the software is retouching to correct stacking errors. So whatever demo you get, spend some real time with that part of the software and work through some challenging stacks to make a comparison.

Here's a random video I barely flipped through that shows what I mean by retouching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIom-bspLwc

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to test off-camera flash with the macro setting on my 24-70. It was better than I expected.

IMG_4181.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4173.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4162.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It's not as macro as it could be, but after struggling to capture this shot with a macro lens, I just had to cave and do it with a wider DOF non-macro lens.

Please excuse the jpg compression artifact in the top right. It's not the source image, but my host's prehistoric compression.
Edit: Maybe it is part of the source image, in which case I think it has to do with the super short exposure. God I hate being so nitpicky. :( Just as I was getting the idea of buying a medium format camera out of my head, I find a potential reason to do it.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 24, 2020

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

mossie

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

It's not as macro as it could be, but after struggling to capture this shot with a macro lens, I just had to cave and do it with a wider DOF non-macro lens.

Please excuse the jpg compression artifact in the top right. It's not the source image, but my host's prehistoric compression.
Edit: Maybe it is part of the source image, in which case I think it has to do with the super short exposure. God I hate being so nitpicky. :( Just as I was getting the idea of buying a medium format camera out of my head, I find a potential reason to do it.

I'm the pixelly peepiest man alive and I can't see what you are talking about. Nice shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

I'm the pixelly peepiest man alive and I can't see what you are talking about. Nice shot.

Thanks. Perhaps I am going insane, but I see at least two faint circular bands of green in the upper right part of the image. Even if it's there, converting it to black and white would fix it without compromising anything. But yeah, I need to take a chill pill and enjoy the hobby more and stress out less.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I heard y'all might like bugs. I happen to love moths, so have some moths!

Catocala Cara

Ennomos Magnaria

Halysidota Tesselaris

Smerinthus Cerisyi

Catocala Ilia

Hyles Gallii

Tolype Velleda

Darapsa Myron

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
So cute! Big moths seems to be getting rarer where I am I remember seeing them a lot when I was younger. No so much now.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

jarlywarly posted:

So cute! Big moths seems to be getting rarer where I am I remember seeing them a lot when I was younger. No so much now.

Thank you!

I've actually only seen one big one, which is what got me looking for moths specifically.

Antheraea Polyphemus

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Moths are pretty great :3:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Post more moths pls :allears:

theHUNGERian posted:

And I'm really digging this! Great stuff! :)

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

toggle posted:

Post more moths pls :allears:

Currently only some Sallows and Half-Wings are active.

This is a male Half-Wing. (The females are flightless, one of the more extreme examples of sexual dimorphism in moths.)

Antennae that are combed on both sides are bipectinate.

This is the melanic morph of the Half-Wing.

This is a Morrison's Sallow.

They're distinguished from others by the relatively straight line across the forewings at rest, and the black dot and arc of the reniform (kidney shaped) spot.

This is a Bicolor Sallow (by its spots and scalloping), but it's the morph without the distinctive color difference right below the reniform spots.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Finally some insects about

Crane Fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Moths are the best because they are super chill.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Some cracking shots on this page guys.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
My garage can't compare to the building I worked at, but here's a reddish speckled dart.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
So cute!

Here's a budding dandelion at 2.5x

Budding Dandelion by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Had this super chill guy pay me a visit last night. My DSLR wasn't charged sadly, but the TG-5 takes pretty decent macros for a compact camera.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pooper Trooper posted:

Had this super chill guy pay me a visit last night. My DSLR wasn't charged sadly, but the TG-5 takes pretty decent macros for a compact camera.

That's great, what a a character!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pooper Trooper posted:

A new muppets character? I love it! Rock on, TG-5 buddy :hf:!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Finally one of these buggers stays still for 5 seconds.

Mint Moth by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

jarlywarly posted:

That is a delightful moth!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

He looks like an rear end in a top hat moth that would eat my wool clothes.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
He's thinking about your Tweed jacket in this pic

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

"I listened to The Cure before they were cool."

Moths are the best!

My first butterfly season with flash is starting. I wished my local butterflies were as chill as my local moths.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Swallowtail butterflies are amazing the way they fly is so beautiful they are only in some parts of the UK.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is this guy carrying eggs?

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Mites (phoretic or parasitic) most likely.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

spongepuppy posted:

Mites (phoretic or parasitic) most likely.

You're right. Poor guy. :(

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

18-spot Ladybird by Aves Lux, on Flickr

My favorite shot for a while.

Seedy ROM
Aug 25, 2018

FKN FUN POLICE

105mm Micro Nikkor with the Nikon macro flash kit.

Scored the Nikon flash kit second hand (price new is crazy). It's a lot less hassle for now but it feels a bit limited.

I find this lens does a decent job with portraits too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The lighting is amazing.

Seedy ROM
Aug 25, 2018

FKN FUN POLICE
Thanks. I popped the flashes through the leaf. I exposed to kill the ambient light and ran flash via TTL.

The critter is actually hanging upside down underneath a leaf, I rotated the pic to make it appear right way up.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly, it took some iteration on the diffuser, but now I'm really happy with the AD200 Pro setup. Here are a couple of shots from today.

Genus Laphria, Bee-like Robber Fly

Male scorpionfly

I want it to ideally work across a range of magnifications, like 1:4-2:1. The low end of that range means I need a pretty big diffuser for me to be happy with it. I have a way smaller setup for shooting 1:1-5:1.

I started out shooting with the round head on the AD200 Pro. It has a much more powerful modeling light which is great for shooting in the dark and generally seeing my subjects. In order to soften the light enough I needed to pull it far back from the diffusion media, which meant I put it on a friction arm sitting in my camera hot shoe. But you were right that the modeling head is just too dark compared to the fresnel.

Then I used the fresnel (regular) head, and that worked fine, and I used it that way for a few months. It didn't feel much better for lighting than my KX-800 twin flash, but the recycle time was dynamite.

A few days ago I had the flash of inspiration that I could use the bare bulb head sitting directly in the hot shoe, and bounce it back toward my diffuser. Basically I could mimic a small bounce umbrella. I had an old Rogue Flashbender, and it worked great. I just bought the bigger "XL" version and now I'm really happy with it. I think the light is superior to what I was getting from my old KX-800 setup, particularly in that I get less "black hole" effect with more light coming from on-axis, while still getting plenty from above.

Diffusion May 2020
Diffusion May 2020 front view

This is an example from when I was shooting with the fresnel lens on a friction arm. It's pretty good, but I didn't like that the highlight was angled toward me so much. With the new setup the highlights wrap forward over the top a lot further, and lower toward the lens (on-axis) which I prefer.
Female stag beetle

As an aside, I started using a polished steel ball bearing for test shots. It's like a little mirror so it shows me where all of my highlights and hot spots will be in a worst-case test.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 23, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Awesome picture, and thanks for posting a picture of the setup! I just came inside from shooting a danger noodle, and I was wondering what the next step is in terms of my diffuser. It looks like the next step is a gigantic leap, and suddenly I feel happier about my ghetto diffuser.

Am danger! Very noodle!

So smell!

Much hide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Amazing stuff guys, lovely light on that scorpion fly and I'm jealous of having snakes to shoot!

Also love gear shots, great idea with the bounced bulb, it's not macro unless your setup is like something from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Mating Hoverflies by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Queen Red Tailed Bumblebee by Aves Lux, on Flickr