Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Unoriginal Name posted:

So do you loving useless Biden cheerleaders ever actually endorse his policies or are you going for that "attacked progressive ideals as unachievable" endorphin rush that comes from joining the right

out of all this arguing it's never been about biden being good, it's been about trump being worse. it's been about making angry eyebrows at goons who don't want to go with this poo poo anymore and that's. loving. it. it's just a bunch of bad faith arguments about morality and trolling and trying to make people divorce themselves from bernie which is dumb because no one was married to him in the first place! he was just the best chance the left had. if kamala harris was a loving communist then people would be totally into it. but nooooooooo it's all about making it seem like goons are just stuck in the same political swamp that they are because that's how they see the world.

i hate to sound like i'm giving people too much credit because of my own bias, but god drat. goons that refuse to vote for biden and goons who vote for biden are well within their right to do it and aren't wrong, but getting weepy about people choosing not to support a rapist or a status quo that will never ever EVER resist the siren song of the profit motive are wrong and just wasting everyone's time.

edit: baby hyena tax

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

yronic heroism's special, they're the third kind of biden booster, the kind that's super loving pleased to have literally anyone but Bernie because their primary motivation is to hurt Bernie supporters' feelings. They don't actually know how to defend Biden directly (see: googling and slamming down the first result without reading it) and they're all super loving nervous about the rape thing. Which is why yronic will never actually address it; they're too much of a coward to ever put their name on a defense of someone they know is a rapist.

The other two types are "reluctant" (yeah, he's bad, and that happened, but, ugh, Trump) and "blue maga" (it didn't happen, she's a Russian agent)

E: not giving yronic heroism another topic to respond to

Cool post about posters.

Somfin posted:

Then tell me why you're doing it so that I understand.

You know very well the reasons people will choose to vote for Biden, courts, HR 1, throwing Trump out, and all the bills that Republicans won’t pass, whatever might get through a narrowly Democratic Senate (which incidentally are the exact things that would get through under Bernie because presidents aren’t absolute monarchs). If you are so eager to actually argue over the value of these things, have at it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Marxalot posted:

That's because they fundamentally have the same very authoritarian and conservative outlook on life. Their People Won and now they get to punch down at the plebes who should understand their proper place in society.

If Those People wanted their lives to not be miserable they should have Tried Harder. Why should I pay to make their lives better???

Really, when you think about it, it's our fault that the only people available to vote for are rapists

E:

yronic heroism posted:

You know very well the reasons people will choose to vote for Biden, courts, HR 1, throwing Trump out, and all the bills that Republicans won’t pass. If you are so eager to actually argue over the value of these things, have at it.

As a victim, voting for a rapist is anathema to me. How are you able to overlook it?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1254999854222159872

I don't get it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"whoopsie doodle i hosed up betting on the rapist, time to salvage what's left of my credibility"

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"whoopsie doodle i hosed up betting on the rapist, time to salvage what's left of my credibility"
It's the "I hosed up" part i don't get.

Is the new witness distant enough or did the total reach a limit in in their brains?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

wait a minute...

holy poo poo!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Rockit posted:

Is the new witness distant enough or did the total reach a limit in in their brains?

the new witness confirmed the rape part of the story

also she was driven to testify because of the liberals calling tara a russian asset which is lol on its own

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

How are you able to overlook it?

The veracity of the accusation is far from settled, but let’s say it was for the sake of argument.

You already know why people might choose vote for a bad guy. I can say FDR was a bad guy easily. Harder for me to say it’s wrong that everyone’s grandparents voted for FDR over Hoover or abstention/third party.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rockit posted:

The fact that the new witness came forward specifically because the Alyssa Milanos of the world started smearing Tara as a lying Russian whore might have something to do with it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We call this backpedaling. Or as the Democratic party calls it, effective bargaining.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

yronic heroism posted:

Cool post about posters.

You know very well the reasons people will choose to vote for Biden, courts, HR 1, throwing Trump out, and all the bills that Republicans won’t pass, whatever might get through a narrowly Democratic Senate (which incidentally are the exact things that would get through under Bernie because presidents aren’t absolute monarchs). If you are so eager to actually argue over the value of these things, have at it.

ahh yes the well known reason to vote for Biden, .... congressional bills?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

Cool post about posters.

Cool that "MODS???" has become sort of your catchphrase every time you jump into this thread with halfassed trolling attempts.

Rainbow Knight posted:

i hate to sound like i'm giving people too much credit because of my own bias, but god drat. goons that refuse to vote for biden and goons who vote for biden are well within their right to do it and aren't wrong, but getting weepy about people choosing not to support a rapist or a status quo that will never ever EVER resist the siren song of the profit motive are wrong and just wasting everyone's time.

Extremely this. Mad respect for the few posters who come into this thread periodically and just basically say "look, I don't know what the outcome of any of this is going to be and I know biden is a monster but my guess is that a biden admin will be less poo poo than a Trump one. Not trying to spend the next 40 pages scolding and posting incoherent page long rants but that's my game plan". I don't agree with it, but they don't know any better than any one of us does and crucially, they're not pretending to be some sort of political nostradamus who also somehow doesn't know a tenth of Biden's political record.

I guess she's getting tired for being dragged after she deleted all her #MeToo poo poo. It's extremely cool watching the same rich social media libs who were once posting
"THREAD: Telling me that I suck in my replies is tantamount to rape and furthermore the use of such sexualized insults revolving around "sucking" is indicative of america's pervasive rape culture 1/63"
suddenly move to
"Ok so we don't know it even happened and can frankly never know for sure, but second more importantly the allegation is that he allegedly only used his fingers which isn't that bad really when compared to what he could have done 1/47"

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 28, 2020

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Quit your whining. If you want people to take you seriously, quit being a dumb piece of poo poo who only ever argues in bad faith. Its really not that hard.

Simple, Bernie suspended his campaign so she's allowing herself to pretend to care about victims of abuse again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Joe Biden is a rapist.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

yronic heroism posted:

This isn’t how Republicans get driven right, btw. They fear the chuds because chuds actually successfully primary them. Chuds don’t imagine they successfully will “strike” in the general and get a better deal.

This is blatantly ahistorical, btw. The Tea Party despised Mitt Romney - he was not one of them, and they threatened to refuse to vote for him. They only got on board (tepidly) when he chose Paul Ryan as his running mate, and even then you could find plenty of post-election OpEds where they claimed Romney lost because he didn't do enough to earn their votes.

Even Palin, who was in many ways the Tea Party's mascot, got pretty serious pushback from the group when she tried to scold them to Vote Red No Matter Who.

It's possible you didn't mean the Tea Party when you said chuds, but they were the proto-chuds, and they played a massive part in forging the Republican party into what it is today.

Seriously, I can't be the only person who remembers elections before 2016, can I?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

The veracity of the accusation is far from settled, but let’s say it was for the sake of argument.

You already know why people might choose vote for a bad guy. I can say FDR was a bad guy easily. Harder for me to say it’s wrong that everyone’s grandparents voted for FDR over Hoover or abstention/third party.

I didn't ask why "people" do it, and I didn't ask about loving FDR. I'm asking why you are willing to vote for Biden. You specifically, the person behind the keyboard who posts under the name "yronic heroism." What is it that makes voting for Biden acceptable for you, given that he's a rapist?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Falstaff posted:

Seriously, I can't be the only person who remembers elections before 2016, can I?

:ssh: that breaks up the narrative that everything went to poo poo starting only in 2016.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the new witness confirmed the rape part of the story

also she was driven to testify because of the liberals calling tara a russian asset which is lol on its own

Remember that her bro also said that.

I guess the difference is that she said that in one go and that the press doesn't buy into "She making her witnesses say this" as much as the terminally online people who quote the Krassenstein post do.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Falstaff posted:

This is blatantly ahistorical, btw. The Tea Party despised Mitt Romney - he was not one of them, and they threatened to refuse to vote for him. They only got on board (tepidly) when he chose Paul Ryan as his running mate, and even then you could find plenty of post-election OpEds where they claimed Romney lost because he didn't do enough to earn their votes.

Even Palin, who was in many ways the Tea Party's mascot, got pretty serious pushback from the group when she tried to scold them to Vote Red No Matter Who.

It's possible you didn't mean the Tea Party when you said chuds, but they were the proto-chuds, and they played a massive part in forging the Republican party into what it is today.

Trump got about the same number of votes as Romney, in fact as a percentage of votes cast he got less.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

yronic heroism posted:

Trump got about the same number of votes as Romney, in fact as a percentage of votes cast he got less.

What does this have to do with anything I said? Were you trying to reply to someone else?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mekchu posted:

:ssh: that breaks up the narrative that everything went to poo poo starting only in 2016.

It's only such a pervasive narrative because for many people, they literally have no knowledge of pre-2016 politics. It's why there's so many people who keep acting like they have literally 0 knowledge of the broader contours of Democratic Party politics. Because they don't.

Most people can be reached by just educating them about things in much the same way we learned about politics over the years, but there's a certain set of very stubborn authoritarian types who will only listen to what the Important Folk on TV tell them. And what they say is Orange Man Bad, that the country was always great until Trump happened, and for whatever reason they're just as extremely willing to fight you about it in exactly the same ways as your authoritarian MAGA uncle whose only ideological difference is that he listens to a different set of Important People on TV who feed him a different diet of information.

I, for one, can't wait for the country's right wing dems to start shotgunning keurigs in their yard because the CEO of that company said universal healthcare would be cool.

e:

Falstaff posted:

What does this have to do with anything I said? Were you trying to reply to someone else?

He's literally only replying to the first half of a sentence in your post. But that 0-effort quip necessarily brings you to the next observation "Ok, but Hillary/The Democratic Right *still lost to that*"

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 28, 2020

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

I didn't ask why "people" do it, and I didn't ask about loving FDR. I'm asking why you are willing to vote for Biden. You specifically, the person behind the keyboard who posts under the name "yronic heroism." What is it that makes voting for Biden acceptable for you

I can just as easily ask why I should not cast the only vote that has a chance in hell of ending up with a president who signs HR 1 to protect voting rights from of the disenfranchised. I can ask why should I want my elderly relatives to die when Trump continues to gently caress up Covid 19 measures for years to come. I can ask why it should be NBD that if I and enough others do as you suggest the Supreme Court will destroy women’s rights, lgbtq rights, any hope of getting billionaires out of politics, and any end to gerrymanders for people in Wisconsin, North Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, among others.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Falstaff posted:

You are suggesting that chuds May have cost Romney the election. The numbers don’t bear that out when he got the same base as Trump.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Marxalot posted:

Extremely this. Mad respect for the few posters who come into this thread periodically and just basically say "look, I don't know what the outcome of any of this is going to be and I know biden is a monster but my guess is that a biden admin will be less poo poo than a Trump one. Not trying to spend the next 40 pages scolding and posting incoherent page long rants but that's my game plan". I don't agree with it, but they don't know any better than any one of us does and crucially, they're not pretending to be some sort of political nostradamus who also somehow doesn't know a tenth of Biden's political record.

hello this is me, out of the two* possible presidential election outcomes, I prefer a Biden victory to a Trump victory. But also I don't want to vote for Biden, for all the reasons people have been saying for the past hundred pages. Fortunately I don't live in a swing state so these two impulses are not particularly in conflict. I can vote my conscience without worrying about jeopardizing my preferred outcome. If I lived in Pennsylvania I'd be doing a lot more soul searching. Given only like 15% or so of americans live in swing states, I have to imagine most of the thread is in a situation where, whatever their opinions on it, a consequentialist framework is irrelevant because their vote has no consequence, because the electoral college is hosed.

*technically there's the third scenario where Biden catches Corona and all hell breaks loose but literally nobody on earth has any idea what happens next in that scenario

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

I can just as easily ask why I should not cast the only vote that has a chance in hell of ending up with a president who signs HR 1 to protect voting rights from of the disenfranchised. I can ask why should I want my elderly relatives to die when Trump continues to gently caress up Covid 19 measures for years to come. I can ask why it should be NBD that if I and enough others do as you suggest the Supreme Court will destroy women’s rights, lgbtq rights, any hope of getting billionaires out of politics, and any end to gerrymanders for people in Wisconsin, North Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, among others.

So, to translate into an actual answer, you're compromising for HR1 and because you're afraid of Trump's lasting damage. That makes sense.

This bit:

yronic heroism posted:

The veracity of the accusation is far from settled

got me worried that you were actually denying that he was a rapist, but I understand your stance.

I've just got a moral hard line against rapists. It sort of overrides all of the counter-arguments I could make, but that really doesn't matter all that much, because you don't seem to be interested in hearing why Biden's bad again.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

ok point by point I guess~

I don't think the guy who sent olds to the polls during a pandemic will give a poo poo about voting rights but I'm unaware of biden's history on voter enfranchisement.

Biden sent olds to catch the covid during a pandemic while saying it'll be safe, don't worry. Biden's big thing so far about Trump's response has been to just say that TRUMP SHOULD HAVE PUT BOOTS ON THE GROUND IN CHINA and also I guess he made a dumb ad talking about how trump should have forced american citizens to remain in china. He's also -aggressively- anti healthcare reform. I think that about sums up the covid thing.

We (people who at least claim to want better things) already lost the supreme court. Thanks, Obama! You can side step this with new legislation but lmfao dems absolutely do not want anything to do with that and haven't for literally my entire life.

e: bonus comedy round Biden voted for Scalia among others :laffo:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 28, 2020

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Marxalot posted:

ok point by point I guess~

I don't think the guy who sent olds to the polls during a pandemic will give a poo poo about voting rights but I'm unaware of biden's history on voter enfranchisement.

Biden sent olds to catch the covid during a pandemic while saying it'll be safe, don't worry. Biden's big thing so far about Trump's response has been to just say that TRUMP SHOULD HAVE PUT BOOTS ON THE GROUND IN CHINA and also I guess he made a dumb ad talking about how trump should have forced american citizens to remain in china. He's also -aggressively- anti healthcare reform. I think that about sums up the covid thing.

We (people who at least claim to want better things) already lost the supreme court. Thanks, Obama! You can side step this with new legislation but lmfao dems absolutely do not want anything to do with that and haven't for literally my entire life.

Point by point:

HR 1 passed the house on a party line vote so we know for drat sure that it can pass the Senate if there are 51 dems and be signed by any Democratic President. There is plenty of legislation like this that absolutely can pass on a party line.

If you don’t think Trump is the worst possible president to deal with Covid I hope you are willing to gamble lives in it. I am not, especially given how much Republicans as a baseline hate science and expertise and adding in Trump being a narcissistic dumbest man alive.

As for the courts, it’s better long term to be 4-5 than 2-7 and there might be other vacancies besides RBG/Breyer. If Republicans gave up when they were 0-9 in the 50s, life would be a lot different today.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao HR1, something they're definitely committed to and definitely didn't just put forward because they knew it'd never pass. You can tell they're committed because of all the accessibility and mail in expansions being passed in blue strongholds right now, like uhhhhh forcing in person voting and removing candidates from ballots by fiat in naked acts of voter suppression? That can't be right

The rest of that list just makes you sound delusional, Bidens gonna put the people who caused all the current problems right back in charge, which is exactly what he's doing and what he has promised to do. Also this Gish Gallup poo poo should be probatable

The courts are lost already thanks in large part to the man you're hoping will rescue them somehow. Have fun with that, good luck in November, don't forget to make calls and donate and really reach out to those disaffected moderate Republicans who didn't even turn out for Hillary

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I expect Biden would deal with COVID exactly as Trump has which is exactly how Biden dealt with the GFC - bring in the experts, listen to them, then do nothing but protect the rich because the measures required are expensive and constitute an unacceptable expansion of labor rights and power

I mean Pelosi is literally giving pressers saying that she only supports the corporate part of the bailout lmao. These are the people you're pinning your hopes of reform on, the ones saying Trump is mostly doing what they would've done?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only thing people will remember by November is that Trump sent them checks with his name on them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I expect Biden would deal with COVID exactly as Trump has which is exactly how Biden dealt with the GFC - bring in the experts, listen to them, then do nothing but protect the rich because the measures required are expensive and constitute an unacceptable expansion of labor rights and power

I mean Pelosi is literally giving pressers saying that she only supports the corporate part of the bailout lmao. These are the people you're pinning your hopes of reform on, the ones saying Trump is mostly doing what they would've done?

and by "experts" you mean "the people who are responsible for the problem getting so bad"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxalot posted:

e: bonus comedy round Biden voted for Scalia among others :laffo:

Please also don't forget that whole Clarence Thomas sexual assault stuff was also given a Senate hearing under Biden's authority.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only thing people will remember by November is that Trump sent them checks with his name on them.

p. much

trump did basically nothing and it's largely his responsibility that the pandemic spun out of control but he's still done more to help people than the democratic establishment and that is a rock-loving-bottom bar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jesus I am so glad that I emerged from my post 2016 cocoon of horror and depression ready to take a hard look at why we lost and turn away from austerity liberalism guided by million year old 9 figure oligarchs

no more need for cognitive dissonance to justify propping up a bunch of losers who hate me just because they're on My Team, blaming everything on Russia or those pernicious Bernard brothers and never having to think about anything beyond that. Straining to forget the past and context so that I can believe that THIS TIME, they aren't lying about doing popular and good stuff

Yinlock posted:

and by "experts" you mean "the people who are responsible for the problem getting so bad"

Surely you aren't implying that unimpeachable figures he has already named as potential figures of power like Summers, Bloomberg, and Daimon have any vested stake in maintaining the status quo no matter the costs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rockit posted:

note the absence of "I believe you"

she's not admitting wrongdoing or indeed changing her mind at all, but like all democrats she is a political weather-vane and now that the story is snowballing she's covering her rear end

e: basically "i see and hear you" is the "thoughts and prayers" of sexual assault

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Like, being afraid of Trump, I understand, I genuinely do.

But the decision to shut your eyes and ears to what Biden is and what he's done, particularly the ways in which he is just like Trump if not worse- that is where fascism springs from. It's not from hate, it's from deliberate ignorance in favour of simple Bad Guy Bad narratives.

Trump is super loving bad.

Biden is super loving bad too.

We're being ordered to negotiate with electoral terrorists- you should make sure you're happy obeying those giving the order. Find the moral line you won't cross.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I keep hearing this, but nobody I know in real life here has gotten them yet. I mean, I wouldn't say no if I did get it, but it's not like the process has been a slam-dunk thus far.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Somfin posted:

Like, being afraid of Trump, I understand, I genuinely do.

But the decision to shut your eyes and ears to what Biden is and what he's done, particularly the ways in which he is just like Trump if not worse- that is where fascism springs from. It's not from hate, it's from deliberate ignorance in favour of simple Bad Guy Bad narratives.

Trump is super loving bad.

Biden is super loving bad too.

We're being ordered to negotiate with electoral terrorists- you should make sure you're happy obeying those giving the order. Find the moral line you won't cross.

also, even if they were right and biden was some unbreakable moral core of empathy and love, he still literally has dementia and is at best a puppet.

like on both a moral and technical level he is entirely unqualified for the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dammerung posted:

I keep hearing this, but nobody I know in real life here has gotten them yet. I mean, I wouldn't say no if I did get it, but it's not like the process has been a slam-dunk thus far.

mine is supposedly getting mailed on the first so maybe that’s when they’re getting sent out in bulk