Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

palmer is ugly but hojo, as has been firmly established in canon, is a primal being of raw sexuality that no one can resist

Palmer lives in the uncanny valley. His face doesn't look like it fits (it really looks like a flesh toned clown mask) and his proportions are just...off.

Getting hit by a truck would probably be an improvement.

Also every time one of you bastards see fit to remind me that Hojo fucks I involuntarily gag.

BaDandy posted:

I could just stare into his eyes all day. :allears:

Since we're talking tasty up in here I'll just say I'm very appreciative of Rufus and turks ah..."fashion" choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oxxidation posted:

is it actually stated anywhere in the original game that all SOLDIERs got jenova-cell treatment instead of just mako infusion

No, and even the wiki seems pretty unclear on it. My take was always that regular SOLDIERS just got Mako infusion, and that only select test subjects got Jenova cells too: namely, Seph, Genesis, Angeal, and then later Zack and Cloud. And the "Clones".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know hoping they tie spinoffs into this is sacrilege but speaking of the turks i hope they give cissnei a cameo somewhere, i like her

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

i know hoping they tie spinoffs into this is sacrilege but speaking of the turks i hope they give cissnei a cameo somewhere, i like her

Cissnei rules. Her and Zack is probably the only straight ship I like in the game.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Oxxidation posted:

is it actually stated anywhere in the original game that all SOLDIERs got jenova-cell treatment instead of just mako infusion

It's a little after Sephiroth insists that Cloud is a replicant, poo poo uh, I mean "clone". Cloud does say that all SOLDIERs get Jenova cells shoved in there. If not all SOLDIERs, then at least first class rank.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Cissnei rules. Her and Zack is probably the only straight ship I like in the game.
she is sooort of implied in the original ff7 too, zack's parents mention girls besides aerith checking in on them occasionally iirc. the original intent was probably just to be a joke about zack being a bit of a ladykiller but cissnei fits within it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

she is sooort of implied in the original ff7 too, zack's parents mention girls besides aerith checking in on them occasionally iirc. the original intent was probably just to be a joke about zack being a bit of a ladykiller but cissnei fits within it.

Poor Aerith is always getting paired up against some one else. Honestly I have no major grievances with ZackxAerith it just strikes me as a tad bland. Although I think the point was their relationship didn't have a lot of time to develop.

edit: HOW THE gently caress DO I FIX MY AVATAR NOOOOOOOOOOO :stonk:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF7R has definitely cemented Aeifa, I believe

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF7R has definitely cemented Aeifa, I believe

This is the correct take and seriously what image size do you need for an avatar change?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://twitter.com/DKHF_/status/1254988238575464448?s=20

Oh Nomura...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any post-game revelations from Ultimania?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The entire concept of subverting fate is logically nonsensical and impossible

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pollyanna posted:

Any post-game revelations from Ultimania?

Not yet, mostly translations from JP twitter.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1254993181701111809
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1254993186038013954

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Well they certainly don't seem to have things plotted out which is not a great sign but gently caress it I'm still happy enough with this one to trust them with wherever this ends up going.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

A character who's alive....Gast? Is there a list of characters who were dead in the game before the plot started? And it doesn't seem like they don't have the game plotted out so much as they're thinking about how much time/memory space each game is going to require.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Well they certainly don't seem to have things plotted out which is not a great sign but gently caress it I'm still happy enough with this one to trust them with wherever this ends up going.

That's what we said for Westworld too :allears:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255009208245706753

this means legally hojo beach scene has to happen

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flopsy posted:

A character who's alive....Gast? Is there a list of characters who were dead in the game before the plot started?

it's probably zack but I guess it could be Biggs that he's talking about

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cloud's Mom

(Did you know her name was Claudia because I didn't)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

it's probably zack but I guess it could be Biggs that he's talking about

Yeah...probably Zack. When you use terms like "great mystery" it's somebody plot important.

Geez if they run into him wonder what that's gonna do to Cloud's mental state.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

That's a relief, I think.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
From a few pages ago, but

Rhonne posted:

Can the next game end with us preventing the Dirge of Cerberus timeline?

This seems likely to me, honestly. Why not continue using Whisper encounters as a classy way to allude to the old Compilation content without actually, you know, using any of those characters for real? That’s the old, busted timeline. This is the new Golden Ending timeline.

In all seriousness, I am a bit puzzled, as it feels like the thread has settled on some weird consensuses about the ending I don’t get, mostly the idea that the Whispers have been permanently defeated. Given that the big bad guy here is a “Harbinger,” it’s easy for me to believe there’ll be more along later; what, is the planet going to run out of them?

Likewise, all the pieces are in place for a nice Midgar B-plot. Zack is actually in a pretty interesting position, after he recovers from being nearly dead, anyway. With Rufus in charge and Hojo preoccupied, Zack might find himself back in Shinra’s good graces, particularly since he knows the guy Rufus tried to shoot/kiss the night his dad super died. Meanwhile, Zack following up on Aerith and Cloud will almost certainly discover Biggs, Wedge, and/or Jessie. And he’ll reunite with the Turks, who have recently grown disillusioned with Shinra.

There are lots of directions you can go with that. Naturally, you’d want to find a way for Zack to end up at the Temple of the Ancients for the end of the game (or wherever they decide to end things), but in the meantime, there are so many opportunities for interesting developments. Maybe Zack is the means by which we get Rufus, Reno, Rude, and Tseng their early redemption arcs. Or maybe Zack is who instigates a real civil war in Shinra. Exciting times!

Also I’ll admit I find it appealing to follow up FF7R with a nod to 8’s narrative structure. They can follow it up in the third game by having a lot of extended bits with various combinations of party members spread across the globe in the aftermath of whatever goes down at the end of the previous game.

Regardless, I’m someone who is always on board for Square’s nonsense, and this is a classic vintage. They have completely nailed the 90s anime energy, up to and including the Evangelion-style High Concept Twist. On the other hand, I find 15, KH2-3, etc. all fascinating failed masterpieces that I enjoyed thoroughly, so I’m just a sucker for Square bullshit.

Only to be expected, one of my favorite games is Xenogears. Where’s that loving remake??

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

rko posted:

This seems likely to me, honestly. Why not continue using Whisper encounters as a classy way to allude to the old Compilation content without actually, you know, using any of those characters for real?

Because they're loving dead. You killed them in the end.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Onmi posted:

Because they're loving dead. You killed them in the end.

I was curious, so I started going frame by frame through that ending sequence, and in the instant after Cloud strikes Sephiroth for the final time, he explodes into Whispers, and indeed, in the moments before the fight ends, the party punches out a few more Whispers too, that this Sephiroth launched. And then there’s a very sparkly explosion.

They certainly were defeated here, but I don’t understand why people are so sure they were defeated permanently, or that this represented all of the Whispers the planet’s got available.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

rko posted:

I was curious, so I started going frame by frame through that ending sequence, and in the instant after Cloud strikes Sephiroth for the final time, he explodes into Whispers, and indeed, in the moments before the fight ends, the party punches out a few more Whispers too, that this Sephiroth launched. And then there’s a very sparkly explosion.

They certainly were defeated here, but I don’t understand why people are so sure they were defeated permanently, or that this represented all of the Whispers the planet’s got available.

Because we saw Sephiroth absorb them all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Zack stuff seems to be an alternate timeline caused by the team beating the Whispers. Even if not, he's in the past, so how would he catch up or interact with the current cast?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The Zack stuff seems to be an alternate timeline caused by the team beating the Whispers. Even if not, he's in the past, so how would he catch up or interact with the current cast?

Being in the past his adventure through Midgar will only take like six hours, so he's just hanging out in Kalm waiting for everyone to get their lazy Remake asses over

rko
Jul 12, 2017
E: ^^^ It would make a lot more sense to me for this to all be happening in one timeline, and defeating the Whispers just leads to far-reaching repercussions. Though regardless of the timeline, it’s very weird that defeating them in this place would cause a propaganda artist to choose a different breed.

Which is to say maybe Omni’s right? Lots of anime bullshit here! I love it!

Onmi posted:

Because we saw Sephiroth absorb them all.

All the ones that were present in that swarm, maybe. (And was that Sephiroth, or the Whispers mounting a final offensive? Why were they defending him in the end of that battle?) I see no reason to think Every Whisper Is Dead. Again, the drat thing is a “Harbinger.” Seems like a word you wouldn’t use if it was going to be the last of them.

It’s not even clear to me what they were trying to accomplish at the end. But I fully expect to see more of them. Maybe even harassing Zack, slowing building strength for the next offensive. There’s too many questions left about them, and while it was definitely fashionable to treat them solely as a plot device/authorial statement of purpose in this thread for dozens of pages, they still serve a purpose.

I dunno, I know lots of people don’t like them, but I think they’ll look even sillier if Nomura et al. just act as though they all died and that’s the end of Whispers. Then they really will just act like a plot device, and since the next chapters of the game get way more into “Planetology,” it would be a shame to ignore some critical failsafe program the planet evidently has w/r/t fate.

rko fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 28, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They are the time version of WEAPON, which got the living poo poo kicked out of them. The planet is just *a* planet, it's not some omnipotent force. It threw out it's protection, and it's protection got hosed up.

That's that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

If we're really gonna deal with Zack in this same continuity, I want them to make his relationship to the story even more morbid. Make Zack a villain. I want him to go crazy with frustration and grief (maybe over Aeris?) Like, full 9S poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I assume our main cast are in this alternate timeline as well? I mean they're the ones that beat the Whispers.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
from resetera, translated from Ultamania

“we should wonder about the future of Cloud and the others since they destroyed the Whispers and crossed the wall of Destiny”

theyre dead

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Here are some improvements/change I want to see to the gameplay in Part 2:
- Materia loadout saving
- Party member tactics screen (similar to gambit system)
- An indicator next to an enemy's name telling if you've assessed it already or not
- Cross-character combos/double limit breaks (like Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest XI)

rko
Jul 12, 2017
E: ^^^^ all I want is the ability to swap whole Materia load outs. But they’ll have to do something like that when they double the characters in the next game anyway, presumably.

Mulva posted:

They are the time version of WEAPON, which got the living poo poo kicked out of them. The planet is just *a* planet, it's not some omnipotent force. It threw out it's protection, and it's protection got hosed up.

That's that.

It’s pretty omnipotent if it literally manipulates any and all events to ensure a consistent timeline, though. But if you want to compare it to WEAPON, then we should definitely expect more, since the planet’s got a whole fleet of them.

Beefstew posted:

Make Zack a villain.

This is also a totally reasonable way to go, and gets much more unintended-consequence-y. A villain party of Rufus, Zack and Reno (or Jessie!!) would be a fun direction to take things in, though Zack would absolutely come to his senses in the third act, hopefully without immediately dying after.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Flopsy posted:

Poor Aerith is always getting paired up against some one else. Honestly I have no major grievances with ZackxAerith it just strikes me as a tad bland. Although I think the point was their relationship didn't have a lot of time to develop.

edit: HOW THE gently caress DO I FIX MY AVATAR NOOOOOOOOOOO :stonk:

I have commemorated this special time in our lives with the following image I posted to a buddy's Discord:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I assume our main cast are in this alternate timeline as well? I mean they're the ones that beat the Whispers.

Well he's dragging Cloud along with him, and our Cloud doesn't vanish or change or lose his Buster Sword or anything, so that time travel logic dictates that there are alternate versions of the main cast in the Zack timeline.

So that Cloud is probably less hosed up since he didn't watch his friend die and go through the identity crisis. Then the question is if Zack and Cloud join up with Avalanche, or Zack goes right to Aerith and takes Cloud with him, or Cloud goes back to meet up with Tifa. The plate probably doesn't fall and so forth.

I think really the only two people that could possibly interact with Zack right now are Sephiroth and Aerith, so I guess it's possible one of the two of them pull him into their timeline.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well he's dragging Cloud along with him, and our Cloud doesn't vanish or change or lose his Buster Sword or anything, so that time travel logic dictates that there are alternate versions of the main cast in the Zack timeline.

So that Cloud is probably less hosed up since he didn't watch his friend die and go through the identity crisis. Then the question is if Zack and Cloud join up with Avalanche, or Zack goes right to Aerith and takes Cloud with him, or Cloud goes back to meet up with Tifa. The plate probably doesn't fall and so forth.

I think really the only two people that could possibly interact with Zack right now are Sephiroth and Aerith, so I guess it's possible one of the two of them pull him into their timeline.

Remember that Cloud only ever snapped out of his Mako poisoning funk because of Tifa finding him passed out in Sector 7. Likely, Zack wouldn't know Tifa was there unless he did join Avalanche, in which case there's a case of "Holy poo poo, Tifa?!" But would he know about her and Cloud's relationship?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

rko posted:

It’s pretty omnipotent if it literally manipulates any and all events to ensure a consistent timeline, though.

But it failed. That's pretty loving poo poo, really.

quote:

But if you want to compare it to WEAPON, then we should definitely expect more, since the planet’s got a whole fleet of them.

And there was a massive army of the Whispers. And you killed them all.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
E: I would love to see someone argue the Whispers are permanently done without just saying “well all the ones we see got dusted, so no more!” But this isn’t an interesting thing to discuss probably, so I’ll drop it.

Except things could’ve easily played out this way in the game’s timeline; Zack is super injured and will need to collapse soon, while Cloud, in canon, is ready and rarin to go pretend to be SOLDIER now. So Zack collapses somewhere, Cloud takes the sword, makes his way to Sector 7, and nothing has changed.

If we have Chrono Cross-style dimension nonsense it’ll be a lot messier in terms of storytelling and requires a lot more bookkeeping. Plus, it just feels counterintuitive. What, they just defeated the personification of fate and the effect is a bunch of changes in another timeline?

rko fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean something could have happened to Zack since he arrived in Midgar and Cloud was left behind with a large sword to be found by Tifa

Seems more convenient than having to grab Zack and comatose Cloud from another dimension that was created when we killed some ghosts and destroyed fate which created a separate parallel universe for some reason rather than changing the universe we reside in.