Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

got me worried that you were actually denying that he was a rapist, but I understand your stance.

I've just got a moral hard line against rapists. It sort of overrides all of the counter-arguments I could make, but that really doesn't matter all that much, because you don't seem to be interested in hearing why Biden's bad again.

That’s correct in my case, but I also think most of the thread knows the arguments at this point. In my book it would be more insulting to your intelligence to just reiterate the same stuff over and over again about why I put the premium on “D next to their name, get rid of Trump”—and for me those nine words are shorthand for the other stuff I mentioned. Some people will frame that as “orange man bad” but so be it. I understand you have drawn a line for your vote and everyone needs to decide that for themselves. What I do challenge in the thread generally (not you in particular) is the assumption that I need to feel positively about an individual candidate—let alone feel “excited”—to pull the “D” lever. I’m not excited about taking my trash out, it’s just something I feel the need to do.

On that note, I generally avoid trying to see elections as being “about” individual candidates at all, and when the framing is “why does so-and-so deserve to be president” it’s really missing the forest for the trees. This isn’t the finale of the Bachelor, or for that matter the Apprentice. Some array of interests will come out ahead and some won’t. I prefer the array of Democratic interests to Republican interests on the whole and would be hard pressed as of 2020 to think of even a single Republican interest that deserves more power than it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Somfin posted:

Like, being afraid of Trump, I understand, I genuinely do.

But the decision to shut your eyes and ears to what Biden is and what he's done, particularly the ways in which he is just like Trump if not worse- that is where fascism springs from. It's not from hate, it's from deliberate ignorance in favour of simple Bad Guy Bad narratives.

Trump is super loving bad.

Biden is super loving bad too.

We're being ordered to negotiate with electoral terrorists- you should make sure you're happy obeying those giving the order. Find the moral line you won't cross.

i think that line is somewhere around bloomberg had won the nomination

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Marxalot posted:

e: bonus comedy round Biden voted for Scalia among others :laffo:

For anyone reading at home unaware of the history who thinks this is some amazing own, “among others” means the entire senate in 1986 voted unanimously to confirm Scalia, except for two Republicans who weren’t present to vote. Ginsburg was also confirmed without a real fight, 96-3, because at that point in history confirmation fights were the exception rather than the rule. The practice, whether we like it or not, changed as partisanship ramped up for the past 25 years.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

That’s correct in my case, but I also think most of the thread knows the arguments at this point. In my book it would be more insulting to your intelligence to just reiterate the same stuff over and over again about why I put the premium on “D next to their name, get rid of Trump”—and for me those nine words are shorthand for the other stuff I mentioned. Some people will frame that as “orange man bad” but so be it. I understand you have drawn a line for your vote and everyone needs to decide that for themselves. What I do challenge in the thread generally (not you in particular) is the assumption that I need to feel positively about an individual candidate—let alone feel “excited”—to pull the “D” lever. I’m not excited about taking my trash out, it’s just something I feel the need to do.

On that note, I generally avoid trying to see elections as being “about” individual candidates at all, and when the framing is “why does so-and-so deserve to be president” it’s really missing the forest for the trees. This isn’t the finale of the Bachelor, or for that matter the Apprentice. Some array of interests will come out ahead and some won’t. I prefer the array of Democratic interests to Republican interests on the whole and would be hard pressed as of 2020 to think of even a single Republican interest that deserves more power than it has.

I'd agree with you, but for the breathtaking post-9/11 expansion of the executive branch and its direct authority and control.

yronic heroism posted:

For anyone reading at home unaware of the history who thinks this is some amazing own, “among others” means the entire senate in 1986 voted unanimously to confirm Scalia, except for two Republicans who weren’t present to vote. Ginsburg was also confirmed without a real fight, 96-3, because at that point in history confirmation fights were the exception rather than the rule. The practice, whether we like it or not, changed as partisanship ramped up for the past 25 years.

The fact that we didn't fight this stuff out before is bad, not good.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Imagine voting voting for the rear end in a top hat who put Clarence Thomas on SCOTUS, destroyed Anita Hill’s reputation, wrote the 1994 Nazi Crime Bill, voted for NAFTA/WTO, voted for the Iraq War, and has always empowered the banks and capital at the expense of labor. Oh, and he literally raped someone, too.

And to be proud of it...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The court itself is a conservative institution by design. Only a single-digit number of cases that are even considered by the court are ever heard. And I'd suspect you'd be hard pressed to find a direct line between the partisan makeup of the court and the decisions that ultimately get made, divorced from a broader social context. It was the liberal court put into place by FDR that banned the Communist Party. Was it due to a neutral adjudication of laws and the weight of complex legal arguments? Or was it because the Communist Party presented a threat at the time and needed to be suppressed? It was obviously the latter, and it was un-banned once that threat passed. It was the Roberts court that legalized same-sex marriage, at that, but unlikely to have ever happened if it wasn't for a long struggle by a social movement making demands and willing, in many cases, to act as a disruptive force for many years. The court IMO is always going to follow public opinion, never lead it, and it won't act in ways that contradict ruling class priorities.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

Again, voting isn’t a morality play.

Turning voting into full utilitarianism is pointless too, given that a single vote is meaningless.

No one here has any real influence in electing Joe Biden, he's competitive against Trump because old people like him, and if they stop liking him, he won't be competitive against Trump, there's not much else to it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

For the sake of historical completeness, neither George Bush nor any Senator who voted to confirm Thomas in 1991 are on the ballot this year.

Somfin posted:

The fact that we didn't fight this stuff out before is bad, not good.

I agree because people need to be educated on what a bunch of Republican nominations will do to the court, and there was a time only Republicans focused on it. It’s entirely why I see it as a presidential GE consideration.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A4R8 posted:

Imagine voting voting for the rear end in a top hat who put Clarence Thomas on SCOTUS, destroyed Anita Hill’s reputation, wrote the 1994 Nazi Crime Bill, voted for NAFTA/WTO, voted for the Iraq War, and has always empowered the banks and capital at the expense of labor. Oh, and he literally raped someone, too.

And to be proud of it...

On top of then shaming people for disagreeing to vote for that candidate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bidens gonna nominate Condi Rice lol

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

For the sake of historical completeness, neither George Bush nor any Senator who voted to confirm Thomas in 1991 are on the ballot this year.

I agree because people need to be educated on what a bunch of Republican nominations will do to the court, and there was a time only Republicans focused on it. It’s entirely why I see it as a presidential GE consideration.

I don't trust Biden to do the needful and put an actual lefty judge on the court, when it's so obviously something that the Republicans will demand concessions on, and when the left is being shut out of any influence over the party.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The bleakest thing about Biden being the nominee is that it solidifies that there is literally no merit in the Democratic Party. The third of four recent nominees who voted for the war in Iraq. A pathological liar who's been on the wrong side of everything for decades, and no repercussions whatsoever for it. None. Zero. gently caress up all you want, it doesn't matter.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The court itself is a conservative institution by design. Only a single-digit number of cases that are even considered by the court are ever heard. And I'd suspect you'd be hard pressed to find a direct line between the partisan makeup of the court and the decisions that ultimately get made, divorced from a broader social context. It was the liberal court put into place by FDR that banned the Communist Party. Was it due to a neutral adjudication of laws and the weight of complex legal arguments? Or was it because the Communist Party presented a threat at the time and needed to be suppressed? It was obviously the latter, and it was un-banned once that threat passed. It was the Roberts court that legalized same-sex marriage, at that, but unlikely to have ever happened if it wasn't for a long struggle by a social movement making demands and willing, in many cases, to act as a disruptive force for many years. The court IMO is always going to follow public opinion, never lead it, and it won't act in ways that contradict ruling class priorities.

Public opinion hates gerrymandering. Public opinion is pro choice. Public opinion is pro union. Public opinion doesn’t say corporations are people. These are all areas the Roberts court has certainly not followed opinion, and no progressive legislation is safe without the judicial branch wrested from the Federalist society.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Turning voting into full utilitarianism is pointless too, given that a single vote is meaningless.

No one here has any real influence in electing Joe Biden, he's competitive against Trump because old people like him, and if they stop liking him, he won't be competitive against Trump, there's not much else to it.

A single vote is a small probability chance at being the tipping point vote in a swing state (and a much more minuscule probability anywhere else). The catch is that it’s a small probability with a huge payout—namely which party controls the country. People sink their money into the lottery with worse odds. Now, the argument goes that we could find something more productive to do than voting for president in the time it takes to go vote, but if you were going to vote for Congress or even your city council or water board you are already in the voting booth and it takes zero effort to fill out the presidential line too.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mine is supposedly getting mailed on the first so maybe that’s when they’re getting sent out in bulk

Here's hoping! I'm going to save it in case this thing keeps going for a little while.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

I don't trust Biden to do the needful and put an actual lefty judge on the court, when it's so obviously something that the Republicans will demand concessions on, and when the left is being shut out of any influence over the party.

The left had no influence when Clinton (who was more conservative than Biden) nominated RBG and Breyer, still turned out okay. And the left has more influence now than when Obama nominated Kagan and Sotomayor, which also turned out okay. We know what kinds of justices get nominated under each party. It’s not a surprise. And since I am volunteering/contributing to get as many Republican Senators defeated as possible, I will hold out hope they won’t be in any position to get SCOTUS concessions in the minority.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 28, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

The left had no influence when Clinton (who was more conservative than Biden) nominated RBG and Breyer, still turned out okay. And the left has more influence than when Obama nominated Kagan and Sotomayor, which also turned out okay. We know what kinds of justices get nominated under each party. It’s not a surprise. And since I am volunteering/contributing to get as many Republican Senators defeated as possible, I will hold out hope they won’t be in any position to get SCOTUS concessions in the minority.

Nah, we all remember the Garland debacle, and we’re not gullible enough to think that Biden will do any better. Thanks for the offer though!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Marching orders are out, Bidens done, gone within a week and that's why all the primaries just got pulled.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

The left had no influence when Clinton (who was more conservative than Biden) nominated RBG and Breyer, still turned out okay. And the left has more influence now than when Obama nominated Kagan and Sotomayor, which also turned out okay. We know what kinds of justices get nominated under each party. It’s not a surprise. And since I am volunteering/contributing to get as many Republican Senators defeated as possible, I will hold out hope they won’t be in any position to get SCOTUS concessions in the minority.

In defense of either of the Clintons; I'm unaware of them calling for the death penalty to be used against drug offenders.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

yronic heroism posted:

A single vote is a small probability chance at being the tipping point vote in a swing state (and a much more minuscule probability anywhere else). The catch is that it’s a small probability with a huge payout—namely which party controls the country. People sink their money into the lottery with worse odds. Now, the argument goes that we could find something more productive to do than voting for president in the time it takes to go vote, but if you were going to vote for Congress or even your city council or water board you are already in the voting booth and it takes zero effort to fill out the presidential line too.

Hell, if you're already in the booth you might as well vote for Howie Hawkins. A single vote is a small probability chance at being the tipping point vote in the Greens getting 5% and $100m in Federal funding (and a much more miniscule probability of winning the Electoral college). Plus that would actually be a positive outcome for the country and world, unlike a Biden presidency

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah, so you all gotta remember that if you vote for Biden there's a small chance that you'll end up being personally responsible for rewarding a rapist with the highest office in the country. Do you really want that on your conscience?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The small probability chance is functionally zero.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All I'm saying is that if the existence of said chance is enough to impart a moral duty then it is also enough to impart a moral responsibility. So could you really live with yourself being responsible for sending a rapist to the White House and thus establishing that the right to not be sexually assaulted is just some meaningless tertiary concern when push comes to shove?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Just came in here to remind folks that Deepwater Horizon happened a decade and 8 days ago. An ecological disaster of untold proportions that still affects the Gulf Coast today. And BP still exists. There’s still drilling in the Gulf, but I believe there was a moratorium on new wells at the time.

That is the same kind of environmental stewardship I would expect from a Biden presidency. If not worse.
In case there are people who may not recall that huge event that occurred in our lifetime.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The more I try to rectify this in my mind I just keep coming back to the rape allegation. I'm trying so hard to find a way to vote for this guy but I just can't get past that. There is something so disqualifying about a person that thinks that it is acceptable to just take what you want from someone with no regard for them.

I've tried thinking "well we can get him to move left", and "he is slightly better than trump", and even "its the immigrants that are at stake here" but then I realize its all bullshit and we couldn't even get someone that clears one of the lowest bars. Didn't sexually assault someone is a pretty easy feat to accomplish.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Come on Buttigieg, shiv Biden and retract your endorsement. I'll even stop calling you ratboy!

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Demiurge4 posted:

Come on Buttigieg, shiv Biden and retract your endorsement. I'll even stop calling you ratboy!

i'd still call him a rat, but like the cute one you have as a pet, not the ratling gunner rat

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

yronic heroism posted:

I guess the democrats really should have taken these elections seriously. They could have worked to get people that wouldn't be so distasteful to people in their party. They probably knew about the sexual assault. The establishment could have put their thumb on the scale for someone else. This is what they chose. Telling a bunch of people they are wrong for having a conscience isn't really that good a look. You should be looking at the people that keep giving us choices like this. It's the Media and the establishment dems shaping the boomers views with propaganda.

The real question is will this change before it is too late?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Somfin posted:

You are right. I see a serious amount of pro corporate/ pro finance judges coming in our future. Chances are the republicans won't let him seat anyone anyway unless we win the senate, which will be nice.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

yronic heroism posted:

Point by point:

HR 1 passed the house on a party line vote so we know for drat sure that it can pass the Senate if there are 51 dems and be signed by any Democratic President. There is plenty of legislation like this that absolutely can pass on a party line.

If you don’t think Trump is the worst possible president to deal with Covid I hope you are willing to gamble lives in it. I am not, especially given how much Republicans as a baseline hate science and expertise and adding in Trump being a narcissistic dumbest man alive.

As for the courts, it’s better long term to be 4-5 than 2-7 and there might be other vacancies besides RBG/Breyer. If Republicans gave up when they were 0-9 in the 50s, life would be a lot different today.

I really question how likely HR 1 is to pass. You might remember the 63 times that the Republicans passed a bill through the House to repeal and replace Obamacare, which they of course successfully followed through on when they had control of the House, Senate and White House. It's a lot easier to get full votes through on measures like these when you know they won't actually go anywhere.

Willo567 posted:

You don't think Trump will do the same drat thing as Biden will do when it comes to social security?

This is from this morning, so forever ago, but I did want to address it. I expect that both Biden and Trump will attempt to cut social security at some point. The difference is that with Biden in the White House the democrats will support that measure, presumably as part of some Very Important Grand Bargain, and with Trump in the White House they're more likely to oppose it. Only Nixon could go to China, only a Democrat can slash social security and medicare. Putting Biden in charge causes a whole host of issues, but a big one is that it actively makes the Democratic party worse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

StealthArcher posted:

Marching orders are out, Bidens done, gone within a week and that's why all the primaries just got pulled.

Things are just so absurd at this point that this seems likely.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Demiurge4 posted:

I will never stop calling him ratboy....i still think he looks more like a nutria though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Phew. I was worried that they'd need or want my vote this election.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1254855623872622593?s=20

They're about to turn on him in droves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Another example of how if they were going to blatantly force through a single candidate, Biden was the absolute worst choice, since he pisses off so many of the demographics that actually matter to the party. Mainly, wealthy white women.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Another example of how if they were going to blatantly force through a single candidate, Biden was the absolute worst choice, since he pisses off so many of the demographics that actually matter to the party. Mainly, wealthy white women.

he certainly pisses of legit progressive people too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ManBoyChef posted:

he certainly pisses of legit progressive people too.

Well of course, but the party doesn't think they mattter.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

With Joe Biden unopposed, #metoo is returning to twitter. The checkmarks are beginning to #believewomen again. Twitter is healing, we are the virus.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just came in here to remind folks that Deepwater Horizon happened a decade and 8 days ago. An ecological disaster of untold proportions that still affects the Gulf Coast today. And BP still exists. There’s still drilling in the Gulf, but I believe there was a moratorium on new wells at the time.

That is the same kind of environmental stewardship I would expect from a Biden presidency. If not worse.
In case there are people who may not recall that huge event that occurred in our lifetime.

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1067746578226704384

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I love how proud of it he is, and how he also signed the Paris agreement while pumping billions of crude oil from the ground lol.

Can’t wait to see what Biden is gonna do for the oil and gas industry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

America's shale oil was never, ever profitable and was propped up by government subsidy and requires enormous amounts of technical expertise to get at. What it allowed for was wild speculation that is currently valuing crude oil at negative dollars when the economy shits the bed, which is now.