Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Lpzie posted:

we taking bets on the noob thread? no way that amount of writing is sustainable. burns out by the end of vol. 5(? whatever the usopp one is) at that pace, switches to per volume writing, then just fucks off after vol. ~20. BELIEVE IT!!

e: adjusted a number.

Don't ruin my dream. That thread is going to keep breathing life into One Piece fans whenever there's a break week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

never forget the guy that peaced out after the picture of luffy stretched to look like a squirrel lmao.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

can someone find that post?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

To be fair Kuina's death is exactly the kind of thing a cape comic wouldn't be able to leave alone either.

that's because cape comics have a revolving door on authors and characters are influenced not just by their main author, but by the authors of other series that want to use that character for something too

it's impossible for anything to stick 100% because every person writing has an at least slightly different take on any series they're working on

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

I really hate how they cut the two page spreads into 2 images instead of one.

This got fixed for me when I changed from reading it vertical to horizontal on Mangaplus. I assume the reader is the same on viz.com but I can't really check because of dumb regional trash

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just like one piece people are naturally more resilient and strong.
So are the stairs
These are One piece death stairs, scourge of the land and seas, doom of all who wish to ascend (and descend)

Both Kuina and the stairs were eating Onigiri, which is why it was so lethal.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

This is official PW4 promo art, drawn by Yoko Maki.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Supersonic Shine posted:

That absolutely owns

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Kild posted:

can someone find that post?

Expect My Mom posted:

never mind guys, im not reading one piece anymore and it's cause this chapter header super loving sucks i hate it

it's extremely bad to look at and take in with the eyes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/DrAggro/status/1254211760434958336?s=19

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
There's certainly a lot of current One Piece coloring my view of Kuina's death, I guess because both the abilities of characters and wild story developments make falling down stairs not really fit into what I consider the One Piece mold, which has me grasping for something that would make it seem to fit in. Ultimately I just need to remember that's a super long time ago from very early on. Someone also mentioned cape comics, and as fan of those there was some of my "nobody stays dead in comics" mind at work there too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NowonSA posted:

There's certainly a lot of current One Piece coloring my view of Kuina's death, I guess because both the abilities of characters and wild story developments make falling down stairs not really fit into what I consider the One Piece mold, which has me grasping for something that would make it seem to fit in. Ultimately I just need to remember that's a super long time ago from very early on. Someone also mentioned cape comics, and as fan of those there was some of my "nobody stays dead in comics" mind at work there too.

Characters in flashbacks are just normal humans.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Supersonic Shine posted:

Is that supposed to be Big Mom? Given the Homies on her left and right.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Is that supposed to be Big Mom? Given the Homies on her left and right.

Yeah, it's big mom. The illustration comes from a Pirate Wariors 4 commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbDn5jxrfmI

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol he was one of the dudes permabanned for the berserk poo poo. i coulda told you the kid wasn't right when he dropped OP.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lpzie posted:

lol he was one of the dudes permabanned for the berserk poo poo. i coulda told you the kid wasn't right when he dropped OP.

I think he dropped it right before Water 7 started too, what a way to blue ball yourself

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If it didn’t click by Arlong or alabasta he was already doomed to berserk spin-off hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lpzie posted:

Whats up with the berserk poo poo there in his permaban btw

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

pedos and pedo apologists

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
They weren't even staning for Berserk. It was a side project by the same author.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Aw man is the berserk guy a pedo or was it just a pedo in the work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

rannum posted:

his comics, including berserk, have had naked children in them in nonsexual situations

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rannum posted:

Neither. Their side manga has uncomfortable depictions of child nudity, and a bunch of idiots tripped over themselves to defend the child nudity in awful ways that wound up painting themselves as pedophiles, even if that wasn't the case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NowonSA posted:

Personally I've never had a problem with Kuina taking a dive to build up the power of stairs. I'm just waiting for Tashigi looking exactly like her to actually have any meaning other than being why Zoro doesn't treat her like any other sword wielding foe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tashigi looking like Kuina is just a coincidence.

Like, in Rogue Town the resemblance mainly serves the role of just being another reminder of his past for his small arc of getting new swords and learning how rare Kuina's blade was. But afterwards I don't think there's any real meaning to it beyond just providing a reason Zoro doesn't want to fight her but by Punk Hazard even that's been dropped.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tashigi looking exactly like Kuina is like the most interesting thing that's ever happened with Zoro... it's inexplicable, no one else could see how strange it was and it probably means nothing. It's this tiny tiny thing that everyone remembers.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tashigi looking like Kuina is just a coincidence.

Like, in Rogue Town the resemblance mainly serves the role of just being another reminder of his past for his small arc of getting new swords and learning how rare Kuina's blade was. But afterwards I don't think there's any real meaning to it beyond just providing a reason Zoro doesn't want to fight her but by Punk Hazard even that's been dropped.

Jesus Christ that Punk Hazard poo poo was insufferable.

Literally all I needed was Tashigi to think Zoro was being sexist and didn't want to hurt women, and Zoro to say "lol no I don't care." and then cut Monet down.

Instead, we have to have him say some stupid line about "There are some things I would prefer not to cut." Cause you can't hurt a woman, Zoro! You need to protect them :ohdear:

Am I misremembering that scene, or was it really that horrible?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zoro doesn’t want to hurt women but he will if he has to. However he still doesn’t kill Monet because she and Tashigi are useless weaklings that are beneath him.

Punk Hazard is easily the worst arc in the comic.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I liked the Monet fight. She did cool things with snow & ice picks and her completely falling apart from fear and unable to put herself back together until tashigi stabbed her was a fun twist
Nami & Robin got to throw a few tricks at her too

The tashigi stuff's always going to be kind of lame in the best of cases, though

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I recently re-read Punk Hazard for the first time and I struggle to understand the point of Zoro's fight. Tashigi was completely right in that, from her perspective, Zoro doesn't want to cut down women. Which is antithetical to Zoro as a character. The idea of freaking out a logia so much they can't even reconstitute is cool, but it defeats the purpose of the fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The idea is that it’s not that Zoro’s sexist it’s that he doesn’t need to fight Monet because she is so weak he beats her by only pretending to cut her.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I still don't understand why Monet and Sugar are sisters for no reason.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LostRook posted:

I still don't understand why Monet and Sugar are sisters for no reason.

It was probably meant to be more relevant than it was but Oda realized that having Usopp terrify Sugar half to death would own but wouldn’t work if she knew her older sister got killed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I looked up how Red Hawk even works and the first response I got was "It's a mystery punch."

god drat I love One Piece

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
remember back at the end of PH and people wanted monet and caesar to join the straw hats? dark times

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just out of curiosity, what do people rate as their best and worst arcs of One Piece as a whole?

I'd say for me that Marineford is the best while Fishman Island is the worst. Marineford had blow after blow of awesome moments and reveals - especially the upset of actually killing off a major character after making it a rule that nobody dies outside of a flashback - while Fishman Island was kind of underwhelming after literally years of anticipation and hype. The subversive commentary on prejudice and racial hatred was still pretty great, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Professorjuggalo posted:

remember back at the end of PH and people wanted monet and caesar to join the straw hats? dark times

In Monet's case it was implied that she was a double agent, as Chopper found a note telling him to stay put or something, followed by a panel of Monet knowingly glancing to the side. Then the note was never mentioned again and she got murdered hard.

Caesar was an obvious choice for crew member and it is criminal that he never joined. :colbert:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Online and in fan communities the three arcs I usually see people pick as their favorite are Water 7/Enis Lobby, Sabaody Archipelago, and Marineford. As for me, it's definitely Water 7/Enis Lobby. It's arguably the crew at their lowest point, with the most emotional tension and earned drama that the comic had been building towards for years by that point, one of the few arcs that has actual character development for the straw hat crew, especially Usopp, had a really intimidating enemy force that was quite unlike what had come before with a whole new system of powers, had some really good humor and classic moments like Zoro cutting the sea train, Franky vs. Nero, and "I want to live", as well as reframing how the reader saw the world of One Piece and the actions of the World Government.

As for the low point:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Punk Hazard is easily the worst arc in the comic.

This. Despite the setting itself being cool, it really dragged on for too long as I read it, there isn't much action in it that's worthwhile, and I didn't like most of the new characters introduced/reintroduced. And if you watch the anime version, it's even slower with the few good jokes it had being ruined by stretching them out, and making Luffy have to beam struggle against caesar clown instead of easily finishing off, which kind of portrays CC as being a lot stronger than he is and Luffy being a lot weaker than he is.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've always been fond of the Jaya/Skypeia arc, it has a great feeling of adventure and wonder, although I agree that Water 7 and Marineford are probably the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Caesar was an obvious choice for crew member and it is criminal that he never joined. :colbert:

I can't see the straw hats looking past Anime Mengele's horrible crimes and total lack of redeeming qualities. He was a fun hostage though.

Gangster Gastino, on the other hand... that guy was cool and as far as I can tell, totally unproblematic.