Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Since this is the de-facto PC gaming thread I'm crossposting this from the deals forum: Several EA games are popping up super cheap on Amazon, specifically the Instant Access versions. You need to have an Origin account and link it to Amazon (you'll get a popup to do so while adding the game to your cart).

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99
Dragon Age Inquisition - $2.99
Mass Effect Trilogy - $8.99
Mass Effect Andromeda (LOL) - $3.99
Burnout Paradise Remastered [Online Game Code] - $2.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a nice utility called GloSC (stands for Global Steam Controller) that can help with this.

Basically, it lets you add a fake "game" to steam that's just an invisible window that passes all the controller inputs right on through. Then you can set up your custom steam controller settings for this "game", launch it, and be able to use your controller configs on any non-steam game.

This actually worked flawlessly, thank you!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Samuringa posted:

I played a bit of Shogun 2 and wow, that tutorial sucks poo poo! Here are some news units to the series, they do neat stuff. Now take that castle.

I did not take the castle.

My advice to you would be to check out YouTube for video tutorials or playthroughs for more information on how to play the game.

My personal recommendation is the channel Mr.Smart Donkey. He's done tons of playthroughs of Shogun 2 on Legendary with all the clans, as well as having done special challenge runs. He's also got some videos where he gives an overview of each clan, as well as the best/worst units in the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you like fishing? Well, the No Man's Sky of fishing (with very limited graphics) just launched.

Intergalactic Fishing!

Travel to a billion procedurally generated lakes and catch fish! "Each fish in the lake is individually simulated. Fish behave differently based on their species, size, habits, lure preferences, time of day, their surroundings, etc."

Design your own lures. Participate in tournaments, or fish contracts, or side quests. Or follow the main quest which seems to be about overthrowing a big evil megacorporation through fishing? I don't know, I'm only an hour in, but the game seems pretty chill.

Developer rundown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3m0WD3--9s

It's $13.49 on launch sale, and it seems like a neat little thing so far.

Whoa, this looks like the ur-ideal of an indie game. Guy wanted space fishing, guy made the world's most in-depth space fishing game all on his own. It looks amazing and I need it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Zereth posted:

So I'm curious, what would people say are some of the most ludonarratively dissonant games on steam? And I don't mean stuff like that Skyrim example earlier, ones where you're playing it normally and it's a huge gameplay/story mismatch.

Most of the GTA games are an obvious candidate.

GTAIV - I'm Nico just trying to get out of this life of criminality and hang out with my cousin and also commit something close to genocide.

GTAV to it's credit tried to get around that a bit with one of it's playable character's Trevor having a few screws loose whom you could actually imagine doing crazy things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Since this is the de-facto PC gaming thread I'm crossposting this from the deals forum: Several EA games are popping up super cheap on Amazon, specifically the Instant Access versions. You need to have an Origin account and link it to Amazon (you'll get a popup to do so while adding the game to your cart).

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99

Mass Effect Andromeda is good, if you’re a weirdo like me whose favorite game of the original trilogy was the first one. It gives you a lot to explore and dick around with. It’s flawed but I feel like it gets ragged on harder than it deserves because of botched prerelease stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Rookersh posted:

Does it end the package on a solid enough note? Curious how they handle that since it's a prequel and all.

Trying to figure out if I want to play them in release order, or just play King Knight/Specter Knight first, then end on Plague since it's more of a side story.

I would say yes in that, from a gameplay perspective, it is a game where the developers have clearly learned and improved off of the previous games. The story does not “conclude” anything or put a bow on the series, really, as it is a prequel- but like, cmon, it’s shovel knight.

All of the extra campaigns are very good, but if you think you aren’t going to have the time or stamina for all of them, King Knight is the best of them, and a full new game in its own right. After that, Specter Knight is more novel than Plague Knight, which is mostly a reimagining of the Shovel Knight campaign.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99

Big AmazonTony energy in this post. Thank you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is good, if you’re a weirdo like me whose favorite game of the original trilogy was the first one. It gives you a lot to explore and dick around with. It’s flawed but I feel like it gets ragged on harder than it deserves because of botched prerelease stuff.

Hm, I was a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 and I didn't enjoy Andromeda at all. It just felt limp.

TitanFall 2 is the clear standout in that list, game was brilliant.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gort posted:

Hm, I was a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 and I didn't enjoy Andromeda at all. It just felt limp.

TitanFall 2 is the clear standout in that list, game was brilliant.
Uh yeah I 100%'d every single Mass Effect game and couldn't even finish Andromeda.

Here's a brand new universe! Now play through the exact same story in the most boring way possible. It was just awful. Everything felt like they had this epic vision but didn't know how to realize it and just ended cutting everything to the bone to get it out the door.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99

Thanks for this! Is Battlefield 1 worth playing and does Burnout Paradise Remastered have any caveats? Pretty set on Titanfall for sure at least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Darkhold posted:

Uh yeah I 100%'d every single Mass Effect game and couldn't even finish Andromeda.

Here's a brand new universe! Now play through the exact same story in the most boring way possible. It was just awful. Everything felt like they had this epic vision but didn't know how to realize it and just ended cutting everything to the bone to get it out the door.

I will give credit to Andromeda for being occasionally very pretty and having fun enough combat. The story really, really let it down.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99

I don't know how populated the MP is right now (I only just reinstalled it a few days ago and haven't gotten around to playing it again) but $3 for Titanfall 2 is a great deal even if you just play the campaign.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Diversity is not a strength. Most armies will have lots of archers and melee of one type to protect them. Throw in the occasional spear to mess up their horses. Tech up enough and then you can experiment with fun units that cause explosions to both sides. Many wonderful explosions. The Blood DLC is really great.

Another thing is that the (I think) DirectX10 or 11 is totally worthless and slows your computer. Stick to X9.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, just kinda use a lot of the standard archers and standard spearmen. Then maybe consider taking a pair of siege weapons.

Max Wilco posted:

My advice to you would be to check out YouTube for video tutorials or playthroughs for more information on how to play the game.

My personal recommendation is the channel Mr.Smart Donkey. He's done tons of playthroughs of Shogun 2 on Legendary with all the clans, as well as having done special challenge runs. He's also got some videos where he gives an overview of each clan, as well as the best/worst units in the game.

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, I can't really choose what units, or even factions, I take in the tutorial but for some reason attacking the gate while all enemies fled for no reason worked, even after it exploded, killing all my units that were there. Tutorial Complete!

I'll take a look at those videos and just try to play a normal campaign to see what happens.

Orv
May 4, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

I don't know how populated the MP is right now (I only just reinstalled it a few days ago and haven't gotten around to playing it again) but $3 for Titanfall 2 is a great deal even if you just play the campaign.

It has stayed semi-populated because, turns out, if you just release all the post-launch content for free to everyone instead of fragmenting the user-base on an already smaller platform, games stay alive longer!

For the purposes of this demonstration we will carefully ignore Battlefield 5 which was a bad game from the get go but Titanfall 2 has stayed playable at most hours on PC and Battlefront 2, despite its Extremely Not Good start, has actually come around to being a fairly decent game because of the same policy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Titanfall 2 single-player campaign is so, so good. Might be time for me to replay it, actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gears Tactics looks surprisingly good from the quick looks of it but I don't think I'm going to be able to stop giggling at the esports coverhopping (sort of) chainsaw game being a thinking man's chainsaw game now

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'm trying to organize a Titanfall 2 game night this Thursday, 6pm PST, so anyone interested in picking it up or reinstalling feel free to participate. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779817

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FYI titanfall 2 and battlefield 1 are also on origin access, and I believe all the BF1 DLC is part of origin access as well if the amazon deal doesn’t include it. not sure if that was a limited time thing only but I had all the BF1 DLC when I downloaded it through OA back before BFV came out (rip bfv)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I got to the computer and apparently Titanfall 2 code is currently unavailable. :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

That campaign has some of the most imaginative set pieces since portal 2 it's loving great

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Seems like the amazon thing is US only.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Xakura posted:

Seems like the amazon thing is US only.

I was able to buy with a random fake US address added to my account.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I kind-of enjoyed Andromeda for the first few hours but then it becomes apparent they spread out a 5 hour game into 20+. The writing sucks throughout, though.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this. EA wouldn't let me add Burnout Paradise to my account for the 50% discount and I have been waiting for a sale.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What's the difference between the Instant Access version and the PC download option? Because I see that Revolution is $6 but only allows me to choose PC Download.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Azran posted:

What's the difference between the Instant Access version and the PC download option? Because I see that Revolution is $6 but only allows me to choose PC Download.

Instant Access grants the game to your Origin account directly, PC Download give you a key to redeem manually. That's the only difference.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bayonetta is $4.39 on chrono.gg, which is either the historical low or extremely close to it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I need to get back to ME:A I am definitely one of those people who has a insanely high tolerance when it comes to *bad* games. Like I am fine quitting movies or shows that I don't find interesting but it takes a lot for me to not like a game. Can't remember the last time I dropped a game because I didn't like it. I usually also know what I don't like so I am not playing puzzle games or fighting games which I am so incredibly terrible at.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow gears tactics is actually really good

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whoa, this looks like the ur-ideal of an indie game. Guy wanted space fishing, guy made the world's most in-depth space fishing game all on his own. It looks amazing and I need it.

Yeah, it appears to be made by one guy who has been very responsive on his Steam forums and has patched the game like seven times in the past week since its release to fix minor problems.

There's a playlist of him playing the game prerelease if anyone wants to see more gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT_XR4fVSfeYOk0OcnE-Qj4lCU7x6q1Vh

(He doesn't start doing randomized planets until the fourth video, so don't worry about him saying there are only 60 lakes at the start, those are pre-set "good fishing" spots)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

queeb posted:

wow gears tactics is actually really good

Yeah, was posting about it in the XCOM thread, if no one makes a thread for it in a few days I will. It has some really good ideas and it's pretty polished!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, it appears to be made by one guy who has been very responsive on his Steam forums and has patched the game like seven times in the past week since its release to fix minor problems.

There's a playlist of him playing the game prerelease if anyone wants to see more gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT_XR4fVSfeYOk0OcnE-Qj4lCU7x6q1Vh

(He doesn't start doing randomized planets until the fourth video, so don't worry about him saying there are only 60 lakes at the start, those are pre-set "good fishing" spots)

I really like the story concept of "there are 60 handcrafted lakes, and then infinite procgen ones, but only YOU can go to them because the evil megacorp is restricting lake travel and poisoning lakes", it makes going to the random lakes more exciting!

My one gripe with the game: finding new fish is tough. There's no way to test if a bit of water is viable without actually trying to fish, and with only two lure slots it's tough to test dark/bright/surface-non-surface/all the variables. I know that's part of the fun, but I want some kind of hint thingy, like talking to other fishers. But you can't talk to them about these lakes because they're brand new and unexplored.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the story concept of "there are 60 handcrafted lakes, and then infinite procgen ones, but only YOU can go to them because the evil megacorp is restricting lake travel and poisoning lakes", it makes going to the random lakes more exciting!

My one gripe with the game: finding new fish is tough. There's no way to test if a bit of water is viable without actually trying to fish, and with only two lure slots it's tough to test dark/bright/surface-non-surface/all the variables. I know that's part of the fun, but I want some kind of hint thingy, like talking to other fishers. But you can't talk to them about these lakes because they're brand new and unexplored.

oh so it's an actual fishing simulator

Orv
May 4, 2011
Japanese fishing games have lied to me!

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So I tried the Paradise Killer demo and I have no idea what the gently caress to even say about it but I'm definitely looking forward to the full release.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I threw up the Gears thread for anyone playing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921547

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Andromeda clearly felt to me like it was supposed to be an actual retelling of the ME trilogy before being awkwardly rewritten to be set in a new galaxy, from some too similar characters and story beats. Garrus but female! Liara but horny! Wrex with a different name! Not-collectors!

Anyways I just modded Shep and crew into XCOM2 and it's frikkin great

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Trickyblackjack posted:

Andromeda clearly felt to me like it was supposed to be an actual retelling of the ME trilogy before being awkwardly rewritten to be set in a new galaxy, from some too similar characters and story beats. Garrus but female! Liara but horny! Wrex with a different name! Not-collectors!

Anyways I just modded Shep and crew into XCOM2 and it's frikkin great

Considering that nobody who worked on the game worked on the original game, its essentially a fan-fiction version of Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Did they ever fix the facial animations or does everything still feel like is awkwardly being acted out by robots?