Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

But would he know about her and Cloud's relationship?
if Crisis Core is still canon(all indications are that it is, they namedrop kunsel of all people) then I'm fairly certain there's a scene in that where Cloud explains at least some of the situation to Zack. He would definitely at least know that they know each other and are from the same town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mulva posted:

Nah, in the original design it was just "New York". Like you are just wrong here, the city is based on New York. The meaning of "Shinra" as his name is based on a Japanese world for myth or mythology, as you say 神羅, it's to signify how Shinra is trying to turn himself into a god. It works in English too, as the company isn't Shinra. It's Shin-Ra, the new Ra. Wordplay.

e: And of course it survives into 7R with "Midgar, the city that never sleeps".

The fact that it is not in fact New York should be enough indication that things have changed since the earliest drafts, shouldn't it? People have this bizarre idea about how writing works, where the "history' of the ideas that never made it into the game is actually super important when in fact it is the opposite of important. Those are the ideas that were discarded, as opposed to all the other ideas that made it into the final product. Development trivia can be fun, of course, but mistaking that for insight into the final work (as opposed to merely the winding and complicated path that eventually lead to the final work) is a common mistake that bugs the hell out of me.

Take another popular piece of trivia: Zack's design was originally meant to be Cloud. OMG does that mean Cloud actually really was a SOLDIER all along, since Zack is?! No it loving does not, it just means that they drew like a dozen designs for Cloud, picked one of them, and reused another. Maybe they even took a while to make a final decision. But it doesn't affect the meaning we're supposed to derive from the final product. During development everything is constantly changing and literally anything can be considered "on the table" in some sense. The wave function doesn't collapse into a single concrete form until the work is released, and that work contains all the meaning we need to interpret it.

This image for instance specially says that in "in the first plot treatment... it took place in New York." It does not say that the biggest influence on the final version of Midgar was New York, in fact Midgar did not even exist at the time of the first plot treatment.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 28, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zarin posted:

I have commemorated this special time in our lives with the following image I posted to a buddy's Discord:

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?? :cry:

CHANGE IT BACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 28, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

rko posted:

Also I’ll admit I find it appealing to follow up FF7R with a nod to 8’s narrative structure. They can follow it up in the third game by having a lot of extended bits with various combinations of party members spread across the globe in the aftermath of whatever goes down at the end of the previous game.

135%. I feel like what really made this game for me was the time spent in small groups, 1:1, or hell - even just controlling a non-Cloud character through a solo setpiece/scene and getting to really know them.

In the original, I know that basically once I had my set crew, I more or less ignored everyone else until/unless the game forced me to take them, but then when that happened, they were super under-leveled and it was a massive inconvenience and I just wanted that part to be over.

The way they handled it in the Remake is almost absolutely perfect, and I don't WANT to be forced to choose a party - set the story up so it logically flows that I'm not having to make choices, but instead just getting to have meaningful interactions as you go.

I suppose ONE or TWO choices wouldn't kill me, but too much and the temptation to just use The All-Star Team Forever is too great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flopsy posted:

It will make you stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfG_qg8KN_E

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I would also be very happy with FFX-style mid-battle switching, especially if paired with an attack like another poster said; seems like a cool thing to spend 2 ATB on.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Flopsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfomXPypkHE&t=595s

I did not do that of which you accuse me; I was just late to the party, saw the post with the avatar, and figured that fuckery must have happened. I recorded it for posterity. In a way, it's beautiful . . . just like Hojo.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfomXPypkHE&t=252s

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255037127286378497

OKAY YEAH THAT'S BASICALLY CONFIRMED THEN

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

That's dumb as poo poo.
Doesn't matter, intentionalism is for chumps.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Beefstew posted:

That's dumb as poo poo.

it's okay, they're dead now

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfomXPypkHE&t=595s

I did not do that of which you accuse me; I was just late to the party, saw the post with the avatar, and figured that fuckery must have happened. I recorded it for posterity. In a way, it's beautiful . . . just like Hojo.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfomXPypkHE&t=252s

Seeing as I have no clue how to fix my own avatar if any of y'all play pokemon I'm willing to barter in shinies/legendaries to fix this poo poo. It's the only wares I got.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clarste posted:

The fact that it is not in fact New York should be enough indication that things have changed since the earliest drafts, shouldn't it?

The fact that they, as of this current game, give it the nickname of New York should tell you to take the L and move on, shouldn't it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd really like to plat this but I can't be hosed replaying through all the loading crawls to get enemy skills and dresses. I'm annoyed enough at having to reload a chapter to smash the poo poo out of some enemies with Aerith for under ten seconds to fight the final VR boss.

Also do you need to do the side quests on hard and normal because gently caress doing that.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Aerith's death is senseless in that it's not a necessary sacrifice for her to summon Holy or commune with the planet. She had always planned on coming back and Sephiroth killing her loving sucks.

The end of the original game is clearly meant to be ambiguous and come down to how optimistic you are. If you believe humanity can learn from mistakes and change, overgrown Midgar is a sign of how damage can be healed and we can move on with those scars. If you're a pessimist, it's a monument to a failed species, unable to rise above their indifference to the planet. It's a game about environmentalism, either we rise or we die.

The end of this game is that we killed Advent Children and it rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beefstew posted:

That's dumb as poo poo.
Doesn't matter, intentionalism is for chumps.
I mean it could just be a cute reference for fans

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
id rather it actually be them cause theyre dead now, owned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I want the dirge of cerberus boss crew to show up but theyre just hanging out in a cafe eating little minicakes

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

I want the dirge of cerberus boss crew to show up but theyre just hanging out in a cafe eating little minicakes

Still done up in their ridiculous outfits though. That part's a must.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flopsy posted:

"In this experiment, I intend to inject you with my own genetic material, thereby creating a beast with two backs."

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 28, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I want to do the Aerith colleseum fights that I missed the first time round do I have to do all of chapter 9 again including Hell House?

gently caress that if so.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

stev posted:

If I want to do the Aerith colleseum fights that I missed the first time round do I have to do all of chapter 9 again including Hell House?

Yes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

stev posted:

I mean, you should be able to set it to easy. And if you're going back to it using Chapter Select, a team that beat the game taking on mid-game enemies on Easy should just curbstomp everything.

The chapters go a lot faster when you can skip cutscenes and not faff about exploring for music discs and treasure chests and stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, you should be able to set it to easy. And if you're going back to it using Chapter Select, a team that beat the game taking on mid-game enemies on Easy should just curbstomp everything.

The chapters go a lot faster when you can skip cutscenes and not faff about exploring for music discs and treasure chests and stuff.

I guess. I might just do the major things like that that will bug me if I don't go back and do them. Then maybe I'll try hard if I replay the game in the run up to part 2.

I think the chapter set up comes with a lot of problems and sort of hope the future games don't do it. Given that the game is capable of being pretty much fully explorable (as shown by chapter 14), gating off areas and objectives behind specific story beats in replays seems silly.

Or if they do chapters again hopefully it'll be like Yakuza where you're always free to do whatever you want within the confines of the plot and the chapters are more for specific missions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

stev posted:

I guess. I might just do the major things like that that will bug me if I don't go back and do them. Then maybe I'll try hard if I replay the game in the run up to part 2.

I think the chapter set up comes with a lot of problems and sort of hope the future games don't do it. Given that the game is capable of being pretty much fully explorable (as shown by chapter 14), gating off areas and objectives behind specific story beats in replays seems silly.

Or if they do chapters again hopefully it'll be like Yakuza where you're always free to do whatever you want within the confines of the plot and the chapters are more for specific missions.

This game is heavily Midgar for its entirety, and I expect the next game to be more freeform and open since there's no "gated point of no return" like Midgar has a billion of.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Beefstew posted:

- An indicator next to an enemy's name telling if you've assessed it already or not

I don't think you really need this, you can just view the enemy data and if there's a ton of ???s then you haven't assessed it yet.

stev posted:

Yeah the Aerith colosseum fights are available for basically no time, right? It's literally between when you beat hell house and when she puts on the dress.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 28, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there anything in the original FFVII that establishes what happens to Zack after the Nibelheim reactor fight? I beat the game recently and I don't remember ever seeing or hearing anything about it; the last time you see him is lying on the ground in the reactor, so I'd always assumed he died there.

Is everything after that covered in expanded universe content or was there an optional scene that I missed? Or perhaps a dialogue I ignored because I was drinking

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there anything in the original FFVII that establishes what happens to Zack after the Nibelheim reactor fight? I beat the game recently and I don't remember ever seeing or hearing anything about it; the last time you see him is lying on the ground in the reactor, so I'd always assumed he died there.

Is everything after that covered in expanded universe content or was there an optional scene that I missed? Or perhaps a dialogue I ignored because I was drinking

If you go back to the Nibelheim basement and look at the tubes, there's a flashback showing them breaking out and going to Midgar, where Zack gets shot by three chumps.

Then there's other EU stuff, and the end of Remake clearly references Crisis Core.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad this game confirms the Cloud/Aerith/Tifa Triad as canon.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Qrr posted:

I don't think you really need this, you can just view the enemy data and if there's a ton of ???s then you haven't assessed it yet.

Yeah the Aerith colosseum fights are available for basically no time, right? It's literally between when you beat hell house and when she puts on the dress.

There's a new fight added after you beat the game to the colosseum for Aerith, so you have to replay chapter 9 to do it no matter what.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

"I'll see you again in 25 a few years." - Palmer

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In my head it's not "Remake" the verb, not the noun. Stress on the "make" - Final Fantasy 7 reMAKE. Next two games will be Rebirth and Reunion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

I mean it could just be a cute reference for fans

Yeah I still think that's what it is, but it's cool to know it was supposed to be there and I wasn't imagining things.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Toebone posted:

In my head it's not "Remake" the verb, not the noun. Stress on the "make" - Final Fantasy 7 reMAKE. Next two games will be Rebirth and Reunion.

Final Fantasy 7.77: You Can (Not) Remake

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Agents are GO! posted:

"In this experiment, I intend to inject you with my own genetic material, thereby creating a beast with two backs."

lol

Hojo fucks

rko
Jul 12, 2017

stev posted:

I actually like the chapters, but I won’t be surprised to be in the minority. I think the implementation needs work—it’s silly to make you finish a whole chapter to lock in choices, and some chapters, like 9, require too much running about, but you could solve that just by having a more granular approach to selecting where you start.

Overall though, it seems very smart to me. Chapter 14 has enough content to scratch the itch for “open exploration” in an FF game for me, and otherwise all of the side quests feel well-integrated with the story as a whole, which is a nice change of pace. It avoids the feeling of inbreeding chocobos while Meteor floats overhead ominously until the actual post-game, and by keeping side quests tied to chapters, you can have much stronger character interaction. Hanging out with these characters is great.

I’m a big fan of the modern Square hard mode, particularly the implementation of it here. It’s cool that instead of having a couple super bosses at the end of the game to use your high-level party against, you get the whole game to experience that way. And going forward, it makes it easier to switch perspectives and whatnot. Keeps a tidier, tighter game.

I’ll be curious if they start with chapter 1 in the next game or if it starts with chapter 20.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wonder what the next game will be like, structurally. They could be a lot more open with it once they're out of Midgar, or they could go the FFX/FFXII route of having most of the outdoor environments be mostly linear pathways between your main destinations. I think most people are assuming the latter based on the structure of this part of the remake, but, well, Midgar was super linear in the original, with a lot of "point of no return" moments, and the rest of the game had more open environments afterwards. Plus, the next one will be on PS5 so it might be less of an ask to load larger, more open environments all at once.

I wouldn't be surprised to see chapters continue just as story markers but it's possible the idea of "chapter select" won't really be a thing next time because you'll be able to more freely move around the world and you won't need to load up an earlier chapter to revisit an earlier area.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

I do wonder what the next game will be like, structurally. They could be a lot more open with it once they're out of Midgar, or they could go the FFX/FFXII route of having most of the outdoor environments be mostly linear pathways between your main destinations. I think most people are assuming the latter based on the structure of this part of the remake, but, well, Midgar was super linear in the original, with a lot of "point of no return" moments, and the rest of the game had more open environments afterwards. Plus, the next one will be on PS5 so it might be less of an ask to load larger, more open environments all at once.

I wouldn't be surprised to see chapters continue just as story markers but it's possible the idea of "chapter select" won't really be a thing next time because you'll be able to more freely move around the world and you won't need to load up an earlier chapter to revisit an earlier area.

The FFX route is fine. I don't really want a big empty wasteland like XV to trudge through ticking tasks off a checklist. I just want to feel like I can explore/revisit areas at my own pace - which I think will make a lot more sense when the main thrust of the plot is 'make your way to the next Sephiroth breadcrumb'. It's inevitably going to feel more like a long journey, with far fewer moments of being funnelled through plot beats. I really don't want another game where Cloud takes ten seconds to stop and turn around every time you walk in the wrong direction.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

The FFX route is fine. I don't really want a big empty wasteland like XV to trudge through ticking tasks off a checklist. I just want to feel like I can explore/revisit areas at my own pace - which I think will make a lot more sense when the main thrust of the plot is 'make your way to the next Sephiroth breadcrumb'. It's inevitably going to feel more like a long journey, with far fewer moments of being funnelled through plot beats. I really don't want another game where Cloud takes ten seconds to stop and turn around every time you walk in the wrong direction.

I don't mind either way, really. I'd guess that if they do go the more linear route, it might be a little more like XII than X (in that the areas will be larger and less road/corridor-like) but ultimately still mostly linear paths between destinations. They could also go with a much more open XV-style world but just do it better this time, like how they did action combat better than XV. I think either would work and I could see both being realistic paths. The advantage of the X/XII structure is that they can do more to weave story into the overworld environments like they did with the various traversal segments in part 1, but on the other hand some people felt like those were "padding" so they might want to try something new next time.

In either case, though, the story post-Midgar has fewer narrative gates that would prevent you from revisiting previous areas, so we could end up seeing a "fast travel to previous areas" system towards the end rather than a NG+ chapter select. Assuming the story is structured similarly to the original, of course.

I would like to see them continue with the Hard mode NG+ thing, though, that's a fun touch for people who want to really dig into the combat and a nice thing to do after finishing the game. I generally really appreciate when there's a NG+ option that lets you keep all your levels and gear but scales up enemies so there's a new challenge.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They've got to remake the classic FFVII world map in ludicrously high detail HD, that is the only acceptable outcome