Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is fantastic. I beat like 4-5 full campaigns. There's always something new to discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The campaign is ridiculously long and I don't think the devs seriously expect players to complete it. It's more meant to be a playground for you to go get into trouble in, and the progression is there mostly because without it a nontrivial fraction of the market wouldn't feel incentivized to engage with the game.

Edit: ^^^ haha, welp.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PostNouveau posted:

Heat Signature is quite good but doesn't have enough variety to hold your attention for the whole campaign.

Still worth the $5 or whatever it's priced at these days. I got a good 18 hours out of it.

I have close to 60, fwiw

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The campaign is ridiculously long and I don't think the devs seriously expect players to complete it. It's more meant to be a playground for you to go get into trouble in, and the progression is there mostly because without it a nontrivial fraction of the market wouldn't feel incentivized to engage with the game.

Edit: ^^^ haha, welp.

I wouldn't say ridiculously long; it could be maybe 20 percent shorter and be good

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Artificer posted:

Easy is fine. Darkest Dungeon has silly amounts of grind and is pretty brutal sometimes with time consuming mechanics. Are they present here?

It's really pretty good - you get "brains" which instantly level any crafted minion to the brain level. So if you lose a unit you can replace it with a new one after the battle of a comparable level.

Units are unlocked progressively though accomplishing (Do X number of Y's) but it's not bad at all to get the other units unlocked and occurs organically.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and may make a thread - it's way deeper than I even thought it would be in terms of customization and builds.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Heat signature is one of those games I will remember and play like a few hours of randomly and will probably do so... forever? Just for the rest of my life now?

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Artelier posted:

in case you haven't played it, heat signature is roguelike tactical hotline miami IN SPACE

imagine hotline miami, but you can pause anytime, to plan your perfect series of moves. with sci fi item hijinks

Thanks for this!
They have a great video showing the game too. Purchased!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Heat signature is one of those games I will remember and play like a few hours of randomly and will probably do so... forever? Just for the rest of my life now?

I feel this way about Battle Brothers and Invisible Inc Endless mode.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Streets of Rogue is this for me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I picked up synthetik recently and I feel myself bouncing... but I can also tell there's a core game I'd enjoy in there under the annoying bits like the E and R reloads, gimmie some tips to access this poo poo, what classes should I play any unlocks that make it click?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

I picked up synthetik recently and I feel myself bouncing... but I can also tell there's a core game I'd enjoy in there under the annoying bits like the E and R reloads, gimmie some tips to access this poo poo, what classes should I play any unlocks that make it click?

The first thing to do is to bind eject and reload to the same key.

There, that's the secret.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Roluth posted:

oh gently caress thats huge

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like I ran out of stuff to do in Heat Signature after only a few hours. There's like 3 enemy types, all the ships are essentially the same layout of empty boxes, missions are just "the guys here are immune to [TOOL]" and/or "there's a timer." People rave about the sandbox nature of it, but there aren't enough tools to sustain that. It makes for some cool GIFs like OH MAN you can KNOCK A GUY THROUGH A WINDOW into SPACE and OH MAN you can use a TELEPORTER TRAP to TELEPORT A GUY into SPACE and then... that's it, you've seen the game. And you have 198 missions to go. :shrug:

e: Hotline Miami owns, in part, because you can't pause. It's the relentless action that makes it good. You die in a fraction of a second and retry until your plan is flawless. It's also short enough that it can throw new scenarios/enemies/etc. at you every level, and the levels are handcrafted to put you in those scenarios. Heat Signature wants to be a slow, casual version of Hotline Miami that lasts ten times as long, has only procgen levels, and won't let you redo things (so it can't be very lethal), which is like saying you want Starcraft but without any of the boring base building or micro.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Roluth posted:

use spacebar, it is automatically bound to both - the game even suggests this on the difficulty toggle. There's a great rhythm to it after awhile, all goes to poo poo when the plan falls apart though!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

megane posted:

I feel like I ran out of stuff to do in Heat Signature after only a few hours. There's like 3 enemy types, all the ships are essentially the same layout of empty boxes, missions are just "the guys here are immune to [TOOL]" and/or "there's a timer." People rave about the sandbox nature of it, but there aren't enough tools to sustain that. It makes for some cool GIFs like OH MAN you can KNOCK A GUY THROUGH A WINDOW into SPACE and OH MAN you can use a TELEPORTER TRAP to TELEPORT A GUY into SPACE and then... that's it, you've seen the game. And you have 198 missions to go. :shrug:

e: Hotline Miami owns, in part, because you can't pause. It's the relentless action that makes it good. You die in a fraction of a second and retry until your plan is flawless. It's also short enough that it can throw new scenarios/enemies/etc. at you every level, and the levels are handcrafted to put you in those scenarios. Heat Signature wants to be a slow, casual version of Hotline Miami that lasts ten times as long, has only procgen levels, and won't let you redo things (so it can't be very lethal), which is like saying you want Starcraft but without any of the boring base building or micro.

Hmmm I get you I think although there's a method to the madness of Heat Signiture in that you're always doing, the game tries to minimize menu exposure because you're always going to be moving towards your goal physically. Flying too and from running down corridors dancing around bullets zapping into melee ect ect, its less about hotline miami style speed and more about one long continuous rythmic motion that you're supposed to lose yourself in, you're not supposed to sweat your failures you're supposed to be doing repeatedly and letting yourself kinda roll with that till you win or die.

But yeah, if it bounces you it bounces you, thats how roguelike do.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Everything is so fuckin small in heat signature its even worse than the original risk of rain

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Have you considered zooming in? :v:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's really pretty good - you get "brains" which instantly level any crafted minion to the brain level. So if you lose a unit you can replace it with a new one after the battle of a comparable level.

Units are unlocked progressively though accomplishing (Do X number of Y's) but it's not bad at all to get the other units unlocked and occurs organically.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and may make a thread - it's way deeper than I even thought it would be in terms of customization and builds.

I posted a very similar line of thoughts about Iratus in the main steam thread. It's certainly better than I expected, even after Youtube scouting it -- some games grab you when you're in them, as opposed to watching other folks fiddle around. I agree that the customization and builds seems deeper than I'd anticipated, but I do wonder if some of the "base" classes will just be completely outshined for the rest of the game. Case in point, making a terror-tank skeleton was great for the first strata, letting me basically bounce a bunch of attackers off my shield and driving them insane in the process. Then I hit strata two, where I learned dwarves hit HARD and crit OFTEN and you really don't want one poor little skeleton soaking them all, although insanity is definitely still the way to go there as they tend to be hit point sponges.

So after watching two beefed-up skeletons get eviscerated in back-to-back fights I switched up to focusing on shade and vampire shenanigans and I'm honestly not sure if skeleton-tank will be viable again. Maybe he's just always an early-stage tool, but I hope there're ways he's made useful again in later strata. Hard to imagine though.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jack Trades posted:

Heat Signature is fantastic. I beat like 4-5 full campaigns. There's always something new to discover.

My big wish for this game is a replay mode at the end where your whole attack just plays out in real time. There are also so many points where the flexibility you have to approach missions just blew me away, like when I realized you could hijack another nearby ship with missiles and use it to just blow up your assassination target’s ship with missiles without ever going on board. Or just ram your breach pod into the ship until you make a breach which ejects them into space.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tildes posted:

My big wish for this game is a replay mode at the end where your whole attack just plays out in real time. There are also so many points where the flexibility you have to approach missions just blew me away, like when I realized you could hijack another nearby ship with missiles and use it to just blow up your assassination target’s ship with missiles without ever going on board. Or just ram your breach pod into the ship until you make a breach which ejects them into space.

My favorite is subverting the emergency teleporter, getting seen and twiddling my thumbs in my pod while the assassination target conveniently teleports itself into empty space outside the ship, slowly suffocating to death.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Memnaelar posted:

I posted a very similar line of thoughts about Iratus in the main steam thread. It's certainly better than I expected, even after Youtube scouting it -- some games grab you when you're in them, as opposed to watching other folks fiddle around. I agree that the customization and builds seems deeper than I'd anticipated, but I do wonder if some of the "base" classes will just be completely outshined for the rest of the game. Case in point, making a terror-tank skeleton was great for the first strata, letting me basically bounce a bunch of attackers off my shield and driving them insane in the process. Then I hit strata two, where I learned dwarves hit HARD and crit OFTEN and you really don't want one poor little skeleton soaking them all, although insanity is definitely still the way to go there as they tend to be hit point sponges.

So after watching two beefed-up skeletons get eviscerated in back-to-back fights I switched up to focusing on shade and vampire shenanigans and I'm honestly not sure if skeleton-tank will be viable again. Maybe he's just always an early-stage tool, but I hope there're ways he's made useful again in later strata. Hard to imagine though.

There's certain Dwarves in particular (gun ones) which break through armor pretty easily - in those cases I think you need a high HP tank like bone golem or widow. More of a problem are the flamethrowers, you NEED someone who can keep them pinned down or knock them back. If they march to the front then your entire crew is toast.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There's certain Dwarves in particular (gun ones) which break through armor pretty easily - in those cases I think you need a high HP tank like bone golem or widow. More of a problem are the flamethrowers, you NEED someone who can keep them pinned down or knock them back. If they march to the front then your entire crew is toast.

Yeah, I don't have either of those as I haven't unlocked them yet. I'm making do with a mummy in that spot because it can hit point sponge, self heal their buffs off, and toss terror out there to try and heart attack rush.

You absolutely need movement shenanigans with those flamethrowers. They're meeeeean otherwise.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah, I don't have either of those as I haven't unlocked them yet. I'm making do with a mummy in that spot because it can hit point sponge, self heal their buffs off, and toss terror out there to try and heart attack rush.

You absolutely need movement shenanigans with those flamethrowers. They're meeeeean otherwise.

What's really fun is if they're behind a Hammerer with an Oracle to refresh blocks and wards! :supaburn:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

What's really fun is if they're behind a Hammerer with an Oracle to refresh blocks and wards! :supaburn:

The vampire ability to let the ENTIRE party ignore wards and blocks on an individual is too good to pass up. Vamps are auto-use for me for all them dwarves. but it does bother me somewhat that you have to invest points in a tree to get your first few ones to unlock them. Also didn't love looking up the requirements on how to unlock dhampir. Ew. That won't be a ton of fun.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'd be interested in hearing what late game Iratus is like once people get there - I really liked Darkest Dungeon at the beginning but after the second round of bosses I cheated my way through the rest and, having seen it, did not feel bad about it at all. (This was before I think there was an option to change the difficulty?)

Mistover is on XGP so I gave that a shot and played through the first boss and into the second area. It has a bunch of difficulty settings that I haven't played around with, but on defaults my accuracy completely tanked on hitting the second area even for skills I'd focused on levelling. It is neat but so far there are a lot of little things that bother me, like how I haven't seen a werewolf weapon and can't just buy one, making that character pretty useless at the moment.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jack Trades posted:

My favorite is subverting the emergency teleporter, getting seen and twiddling my thumbs in my pod while the assassination target conveniently teleports itself into empty space outside the ship, slowly suffocating to death.

i love when this is actually the most efficient option, too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

megane posted:

Have you played it since the Big Update? There are several extra enemy types and a few other complications that have been added.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Memnaelar posted:

The vampire ability to let the ENTIRE party ignore wards and blocks on an individual is too good to pass up. Vamps are auto-use for me for all them dwarves. but it does bother me somewhat that you have to invest points in a tree to get your first few ones to unlock them. Also didn't love looking up the requirements on how to unlock dhampir. Ew. That won't be a ton of fun.

Made a thread for it, it seems to be flying under the radar and wanted to draw attention since she's on sale right now. I've been playing around with a solo skeleton with boiling blood, vampire fangs, and unnerving fortitude. It's very amusing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

After a liberation mission in Heat Signature, the new character spawned by it had a silenced shotgun. A silenced shotgun that started to blow things up the more I fired it.
Exterior bulkhead walls would vanish, airlocking me + enemies. Then I managed to entirely delete one isolated corridor of a extended lego-block-shaped ship by firing into a barrier door (sheering the entire 5 room corrider off the ship.
Then, somehow, I managed to delete an entire interior room in that same extended lego-block ship by rapid firing the silenced shotgun.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I got a beta copy of Crown Trick and after two hours, I think I can say that it's going to be good.

It plays like a deeper Sproggiwood, where your opponents' non-bump attacks are telegraphed and the gameplay focuses more on positioning than just getting bigger numbers. You can't save your games right now, which is problematic, but aside from that and some rough translation issues, there's a lot to look forward to in this game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

quantumfoam posted:

After a liberation mission in Heat Signature, the new character spawned by it had a silenced shotgun. A silenced shotgun that started to blow things up the more I fired it.
Exterior bulkhead walls would vanish, airlocking me + enemies. Then I managed to entirely delete one isolated corridor of a extended lego-block-shaped ship by firing into a barrier door (sheering the entire 5 room corrider off the ship.
Then, somehow, I managed to delete an entire interior room in that same extended lego-block ship by rapid firing the silenced shotgun.

Silenced Shotgun?
Airlocking Everyone?
In Space, nobody can hear you scream?

Seems to be working fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quantumfoam posted:

a quickfire breach silenced shotgun.....what

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Jupiter Hell finally brought back the one thing I was actually waiting for, Gun Kata, in its most recent update:

Kornel Kissliewizcsz posted:

Hell, it's about time! Our most significant update yet, Jupiter Hell 0.9.0 -- a.k.a. "Masters" (of Doom? :P) -- is out, and with it, 15 (fifteen!) Master traits have been added, each bringing a unique playstyle! Read all about it below!

MASTERS!
Fifteen Master traits have been added, five per class. Some of them are generic, some of them tailored toward a particular weapon group. All of these have 3 trait levels that can be picked -- one each at level 7, 10 and 13. Contrary to prior updates, Master traits have relatively few requirements (3 or 4 traits), and do not block any other traits, for maximum build flexibility.

Marine Masters
Onslaught - once you spool up your chain-fire weapon (see below), you can move while firing and increasing spool-up!
Bulletstorm adds 1 more shot per action to SMGs and pistols, and reduces their ammo consumption
Army of Darkness - designed with Shotguns in mind, this is a generic trait that converts the Slash weapon damage type to Pierce, and maximizes their effective range.
Vampyre - Health regeneration on melee kills
Survivor - generalist trait makes you harder to kill and provides limited regeneration capabilities

Scout Masters
Sniper - for use with any rifle, increases ranges and provides a bonus to critical chance which scales with range to target
Gun Kata - fan favorite -- automatically shoots both your pistols at different targets as you dance between enemies
Gunrunner - reload weapons on move and reduces their fire time for the turn after a move, leading to a run and gun playstyle
Assassinate - Scout's flashy melee master -- phaseshift right behind the enemy to deliver a fatal blow
Ghost - for the sneaky among us, significantly reduces stealth costs and detects enemies before you see them

Technician Masters
Entrenchment - hold position and start spewing bullets - automatic hunker and damage reduction when firing while remaining stationary
Sharpshooter - for the pistol fans: increased ranges and damage bonus which scales with range to target
Fireangel - when you want to see the world burn. Shrug off explosions and proc fire effects
Blademaster - Tech's melee master -- wield two blades at the same time for more damage!
Wizard - smoke screen on cooldown, buff to hacked enemies and bot summoning

Trip report once I actually get to try the drat update

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Fired up Dungeonmans for the first time in a while, cruising with a level 9 character with a lot of marksman skills. A couple of base building questions-

1. Once I upgrade the library to what the game tells me is its max level, is there any point in continuing to donate skill books to it? I've donated 12 books so far.

2. Does there ever come a point where I should sell unwanted loot for cash, or should I just keep shoveling everything I'm not using into more blacksmith resources?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 28, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

1. Once I upgrade the library to what the game tells me is its max level, is there any point in continuing to donate skill books to it? I've donated 12 books so far.
There's no reward, so yeah, just read or eat those books.

quote:

2. Does there ever come a point where I should sell unwanted loot for cash, or should I just keep shoveling everything I'm not using into more blacksmith resources?

Cash is handy! You can buy skill books to supplement your leveling, and there's a couple of event books sold by the Doomsayer (rare town NPC) that are also worth experiencing. They're expensive though. I personally never got a ton of value from the blacksmith aside from storing gear for future characters (before I started doing nothing but ironmans), so I'd just hoard cash and splurge it on the occasional book.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks, it's a bit confusing that you can still donate books to them for no(?) benefit. Then again I keep finding skill books for skills I'm not using or in which I'm already maxed out, so what else am I gonna do with them?

E: Got to the top of my first Warlord tower and had to use an Escape scroll after getting the boss down to half health :( Feels bad mans, that guy wasn't messing around.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how is nowhere prophet? https://store.steampowered.com/app/681730/Nowhere_Prophet/

looks cool surprised i havent heard about it in the last year

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s pretty good. It took me a while to get into because you can’t use your unit/life as resources the same way as in other card games due to them being permanently removed if they die twice.

Every time a patch comes out I want to play more but all that stuff is locked behind achievements that seem like it’ll take a while so I end up forgetting until the next patch.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Having played Nowhere Prophet 9 hrs now, with one win (games surprisingly long!) - the deckbuilder aspect is a bit of a bait. It's a really tactical resource management game where you only need the bare basics of card game skill. So it's very different from something like Slay the Spire which has a lot of broader strategic concerns; it's more of a knife fight in a phone booth testing your basic numeracy and valuation. There's meta-progression but it's mild enough I'm not terribly offended. The random cover actually does make each combat feel pretty notably different; it's a good touch. Presentations nice. Hate games with random events that don't show the outcome odds because it's just loving trivia.

So overall it's...pretty neat, good if you want variety or just a game with a lot of polish, but don't think it'll having the staying power of more strategic roguelikes because the decision making is often highly immediate. It's been a fun change of pace though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Of course I died shortly afterwards

This was the perfect drat weapon for the marine master trait Onslaught.