Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Apparently my 92 year old Grandma, who lives in a home, tested positive, but is ok. I know that side of the family is resilient, but still worrying.

And a shame that her Alzheimer's means there's no way to keep the fact that there's a crazy virus pandemic in her brain, and that's why she's not getting any visitors :(

E:Again? Another walk cat then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Isomermaid posted:

Oh for sure, when I say "they" there, I'm putting that on the government for engineering this situation.

getting angry just thinking about how much they've hosed us all over here, completely senseless and avoidable death toll

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Isomermaid posted:

God, so they're potentially sending Covid cases into care homes to die and taking out a bunch more otherwise healthy pensioners in the process. That's loving evil.

My wifes gran has been in hospital for about a month now, with rapid onset dementia and or a minor stroke. She's been tested twice and has Covid, but now their all set to ship her off to a care home to free up her bed.
apparently the positive test is not a problem.....

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

Scottish govt is recommending masks. I'm thinking of getting a basic cloth one. Any ideas?

Tartan

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I work at a fairly large London NHS trust (not quite front line and not medical staff though) and from what I heard through the grapevine I can corroborate the eerily quietness bit, for what it's worth

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

generally don't care for bastani but novara is pretty good atm i reckon. sarkar is always good as is james butler and his burner cast is a worthwhile listen right now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cassiopeia posted:

We have what are called emergency health care plans and a lot of patients from care homes will specifically have it written in not to admit to hospital and use district / palliative care in the event of any illness, whether Covid suspected or not. So in a lot of cases they dont even get to the hospital in the first place.

I have never seen our hospital trust have so few patients. Its eerie. We cleared a lot of beds in anticipation of the pandemic and havent seen them increase dramatically in this. Plus all elective care cancelled and people not attending out of fear when they really should (cardiac, other respiratory, trauma, cancers) is going to cause a very big impact further down the line.

Yeah my sister was supposed to have a gynae operation on Monday but cancelled it. She's been waiting 2 years and they called her last week. It's in one of the top 2 hospitals for CV deaths in Wales and they were 'it's not on this ward' but what about the rest of the areas she would need to traverse?

But (a) she's scared of getting CV for her own sake - she has a managed heart condition - (and passing to her husband, daughter, grand-daughter, our mum) and
(b) if she did get it, who will be able to visit my mum and take groceries etc - mum's 82 and lives in the middle of nowhere but other than her age has no particular medical conditions and forget online shopping, mum has a neurological condition which means she can barely manage to move a mouse into position on her laptop let alone click it into those tiny T&Cs boxes and also there is zero mobile phone signal available within a 2-3 mile radius of her home. (NB I don't drive.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 28, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i can't say too much without doxxing myself but based on my job and friends i know working in the NHS, there has been a strong suspicion for a couple of weeks that they're cackhandedly trying to "protect" the NHS, massage the stats, and artificially flatten the curve by sending as many people as they can into the community to die. this thread:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1255055939280998400?s=19

appears to be hinting at same without going full tinfoil and scaring people.

i happen to know for a fact that they're discharging lots of people without even testing them.

Anecdotally I know of one person hospitalised with COVID and discharged three days later. They were told that in normal circumstances theyd be in a ward for several weeks, but they don't have capacity for that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Quite wild that the government is literally trying to cover up 20-30 thousand deaths. in 2020.

You may be overestimating how many goons are sports touchers. ..

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

You may be overestimating how many goons are sports touchers. ..

Apparently a 22g pack of Monster Munch contains an average of 9.33 monster feet (source: https://www.bondvigilantes.com/blog/2011/10/21/pickled-onion-monster-munch-without-looking-how-many-monster-feet-do-you-get-in-a-packet/)

So if 1 monster foot = 1 CV death, 10000 would equate to 1072 packs of monster munch, 2144 = 20000, 3216 packs = 30000.

Does that help? How long does a typical goon take to consume a pack of Monster Munch? (I have still never tried them.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently a 22g pack of Monster Munch contains an average of 9.33 monster feet

Or 18.66 if you subscribe to the true religion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Honestly the number of deaths could get to 100,000 and the press would act as if it was just a thing that happened with no need for further analysis. Just shocked at how utterly craven our entire media is even when I thought I'd never be shocked again.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Honestly the number of deaths could get to 100,000 and the press would act as if it was just a thing that happened with no need for further analysis. Just shocked at how utterly craven our entire media is even when I thought I'd never be shocked again.

Deaths could be 500k and Peston would congratulate Boris for it not being a million.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/alargevat/status/1255176105167912960?s=20

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The only time things will change is when the working class rise up and forcibly remove this government and certainly not through voting, but that's not going to happen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How long does a typical goon take to consume a pack of Monster Munch? (I have still never tried them.)

Hand in your posting badge and posting gun immediately

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The ONS figures are now being reported but since they're two weeks behind they're reporting almost 20k total deaths two weeks ago rather than 20k hospital deaths now and this time shift and laziness and shittiness from journalists seems be be giving them cover. In the next few weeks as the outside of hospital numbers shoot up while in hospital numbers decrease Hancock will say "Well this is very sad but we did everything we could to prepare." and that will also go unremarked upon.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXwVXvw1bw
Bird people, what on earth are these guys arguing about? I think they share the same hole in the side of the neighbors house, did somebody just not clean the toilet this week? They kept at it for a good 10 minutes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

While I do try to keep positive I find it very hard to imagine politics ever getting better for people with the current media still in the picture.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FairyNuff posted:

While I do try to keep positive I find it very hard to imagine politics ever getting better for people with the current media still in the picture.

guido is currently doxxing everyone who appeared in the panorama episode

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Nettle Soup posted:

Bird people, what on earth are these guys arguing about?

Can't watch it all now but judging from the start I'd think that was an alarm call rather than aggression. Maybe they can see a cat?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Bird people, what on earth are these guys arguing about? I think they share the same hole in the side of the neighbors house, did somebody just not clean the toilet this week? They kept at it for a good 10 minutes.

lol blackbird and great tit got some proper beef there

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Love that when people ask a question about the guidance or say that guidance isn't clear (in this case the social distancing measures), the government respond by just saying "actually it IS clear" and people just nod and accept it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

AceClown posted:

lol blackbird and great tit got some proper beef there

Yeah they are definitely shouting at each other probably have nests near each other or something.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jippa posted:

Yeah they are definitely shouting at each other probably have nests near each other or something.

This, great tits are definitely nesting right now and so probably blackbirds are too, the tree is really good real estate and great tits in particular are right mardy little fucks

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

RE Travel chat - If you want to have a relatively inexpensive holiday I strongly recommend taking a road trip to the Alps. You avoid all the stereotypical rowdy Brit tourists, get to immerse yourself in the local culture, and you’ll get to see some of the most gorgeous places in this part of the world.

My partner and I have done two in the German/Austrian/Swiss alps and we went with friends on the second one and it fuckin ruled.

Beer was cheaper than water too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Love that when people ask a question about the guidance or say that guidance isn't clear (in this case the social distancing measures), the government respond by just saying "actually it IS clear" and people just nod and accept it.

They've been very clear

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The press are so used to doing corporate sound bites that I doubt they would recognise their ability to actually say anything if it came up and bit them.

The fact that it is a self selecting club doesn't help either.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't pay for lounge access because the only airport I usually have to spend any unreasonable length of time in is Minneapolis-St. Paul and the place is so nice the whole thing's like a lounge.

If I go through Seattle again though, that might be another matter... :thunk:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

RE Travel chat - If you want to have a relatively inexpensive holiday I strongly recommend taking a road trip to the Alps. You avoid all the stereotypical rowdy Brit tourists, get to immerse yourself in the local culture, and you’ll get to see some of the most gorgeous places in this part of the world.

My partner and I have done two in the German/Austrian/Swiss alps and we went with friends on the second one and it fuckin ruled.

Beer was cheaper than water too.

Would actually love to do this.

Nettle Soup posted:

It's all kicking off in the trees

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jose posted:

guido is currently doxxing everyone who appeared in the panorama episode

Has Guido ever been doxxed?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

willie_dee posted:

everyone knows who it is because its not hidden

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jose posted:

everyone knows who it is because its not hidden

I meant his home address (not asking for it, just curious if he’s been through what he puts other through)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

willie_dee posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/feb/02/3

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ahh, they both seem to be living in a hole in the neighbors wall insulation, or they both want it. I guess things finally kicked off. Loser gets to live in the tree, which is I think the blackbird.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nettle Soup posted:

Ahh, they both seem to be living in a hole in the neighbors wall insulation, or they both want it. I guess things finally kicked off. Loser gets to live in the tree, which is I think the blackbird.

Whilst definitely not as good as the wall, the tree is still a pretty good consolation prize.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

remember when they used to do interviews with paul staines guido and they'd cover his face and distort the voice like he was a confidential source that had to be protected

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

namesake posted:

The ONS figures are now being reported but since they're two weeks behind they're reporting almost 20k total deaths two weeks ago rather than 20k hospital deaths now and this time shift and laziness and shittiness from journalists seems be be giving them cover. In the next few weeks as the outside of hospital numbers shoot up while in hospital numbers decrease Hancock will say "Well this is very sad but we did everything we could to prepare." and that will also go unremarked upon.

When we were saying we're 2 weeks away from Italy, Italy was actually 2 days behind us.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

justcola posted:

When we were saying we're 2 weeks away from Italy, Italy was actually 2 days behind us.

Nah I saw somewhere that Italy had this same issue, where they were only reporting the hospital deaths and not all the other ones

It seems that the most common default modes of death reporting are not adequate for pandemics like this one, usually you never need up to date figures from every source immediately

e: to be clear, all of our poo poo countries here in Europe are doing a poo poo job on this poo poo, especially the UK, and gently caress everything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

willie_dee posted:

Originally Guido Fawkes was anonymous, in theory at least. He went on Newsnight to be interviewed by Paxman and he was shot in silhouette from a different studio, Paxman seemed rather peeved. Also on was Guardian hack Michael White & in possibly the only funny moment of his career Michael White just outed him as Paul Staines but I can't find the original clip on Youtube sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

I meant his home address (not asking for it, just curious if he’s been through what he puts other through)

He was very Not Mad when a Tory MP accidentally leaked his phone number through an unedited Whatsapp screenshot, and equally Not Mad that it revealed said MP didn't even have his name saved on their phone. I believe "Actually I'm laughing about it and so are the police" was his response before deleting everything in an act of supreme Not-Mad-Being.