Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

School Nickname posted:

This, they can't even get autobalance in when chiv had it. Doesn't help that guys scream, "YOU CAN'T AUTOBALANCE A SKILL BASED GAME" whenever you bring it up, because joining a blatant teamstack with 5+ level 200 sweatlords is just the way the game is meant to be played.

How did it work in chiv? When I try to think of a way to implement auto balance it this game I just come up with a million questions that have no good answers. I think the way the Mordhau devs avoided all of this is by making the rewards the same for winning or losing and freely allowing you to change servers if you don't like your team.

Its for this reason I've never really minded being on the lopsided losing team because the most enjoyable moments for me are when I beat the odds and win some crazy 1v4 fight or turn the tide for my team by holding a capture point on my own and if people are greifing I just leave and join a new server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The only autobalance move I like would be one that forces you to hit auto assign at the start of the game - at least on official servers. I know it sucks you can't always play with your friends, but also (at least for Frontline and maybe TDM) it's not necessarily a bad thing (and you still have a 50% chance of playing with them every round anyway). Obviously you still want to be able to teamstack in Skirmish since that is a much more serious and competitive mode.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just reinstalled the game... what the gently caress did they do to shields?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A LOT of things

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just reinstalled the game... what the gently caress did they do to shields?

What's the problem?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they work... fine these days, there's just a lot going on with them now. Multiple block states, changes to how kicks work, the ability to throw small shields. It'll be like learning a new weapon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You can't hold to block w/ the kite shield what's the point?

I'm not surprised i barely saw any of them in game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

You can't hold to block w/ the kite shield what's the point?

You can, it just uses a different keybind now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nordick posted:

You can, it just uses a different keybind now.

Oh come on lmao

Edit: What's the keybind now, not seeing a block anywhere?

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 22, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh come on lmao

I actually haven't played with shields myself since the change, but from what I remember of the update notes, I think it's the throw button maybe? Like with the smaller non-hold shields it throws them now, but for the bigger ones it's the held block?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh come on lmao

Yeah the default is R. You should mostly be attacking anyway, holding block is for approaching archers.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Holding block is good for 1vX and in team fights. Using the facepalm animation is better for approaching archers and can also be done with Targe

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
https://mordhau.mod.io/quarry

I made a map for this game that will probably just collect dust since all the custom map servers just run the duel arenas but hey, it was at least fun to make

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

just popping in to say im still bad at this game and i still love it. it consistently cracks me up

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
Despite the modding tools for this game being hacked together and only loosely supported by the devs you can still make some very cool stuff.

I finished work on a CTF mod which seems to work pretty well. There's a server running it at 160.202.165.14:13015 and you can subscribe/download the files at mod.io

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im enjoying this. i was put off getting it so late because everyone said only tryhards were left but most people are as bad as me. even if you suck it's fun to grab a spear and get a ton of kills by poking enemies fighting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

im enjoying this. i was put off getting it so late because everyone said only tryhards were left but most people are as bad as me. even if you suck it's fun to grab a spear and get a ton of kills by poking enemies fighting.

I played a few rounds a while ago and I was actually surprised at how low the average level still was, which is a good thing.

It's not even close to reaching Chivalry levels of, uh, sweatlords (I was one of them), and that was when I quit playing years ago.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I just picked this up on a whim since it was on sale on Steam, glad to hear people still play it. I'd have been sad if I loaded it up and found nothing but bots and lifers playing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Morality_Police posted:

I just picked this up on a whim since it was on sale on Steam, glad to hear people still play it. I'd have been sad if I loaded it up and found nothing but bots and lifers playing.

well, it's bots, lifers, and nazis

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
i also reinstalled after being underwhelmed by Bannerlord's multiplayer and was surprised to see that in Invasion and Frontline servers the same distribution of player skill exists as from 6 months ago. when you look at the scoreboard you have:

1-5 players with 30 kills and 2 deaths
15 players with about 1:1 kills to deaths
20 players with far more deaths than kills

if you just run at people with a big 2h weapon and initially do swing-feint-swing you will always find yourself at least 1:1. I'm total poo poo(i can't chamber and fall for feints always) and can still manage to end up positive, just don't run straight into the meat grinder.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

i also reinstalled after being underwhelmed by Bannerlord's multiplayer and was surprised to see that in Invasion and Frontline servers the same distribution of player skill exists as from 6 months ago. when you look at the scoreboard you have:

1-5 players with 30 kills and 2 deaths
15 players with about 1:1 kills to deaths
20 players with far more deaths than kills

if you just run at people with a big 2h weapon and initially do swing-feint-swing you will always find yourself at least 1:1. I'm total poo poo(i can't chamber and fall for feints always) and can still manage to end up positive, just don't run straight into the meat grinder.

i'm somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd group

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Pattonesque posted:

well, it's bots, lifers, and nazis

Oh...great... :sigh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

don't worry, the devs will do something about it eventually lmao

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They promised female and non-white characters, and I'm holding them to that promise and not playing until they make good

That is to say, I'm not playing ever again

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

megane posted:

They promised female and non-white characters

Haha have they seriously still not done that?

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha have they seriously still not done that?

No, of course not - they said that simply because there was a "gaming news" site pressuring them about their goose-stepping community. i'm 100% sure they never had any intention of adding that into their porcelain perfect game. the only thing that surprises me is that they didn't say the game takes place during the year 1488.

it really depresses me actually because I really love the mechanics of mordhau and want to be able to get back into it, play duels - but I get turned off every time after seeing how rancid the people are. Nazi punks stop loving up my swordfighting game!

edit:

Lister posted:

Not including females models at least makes a little sense in terms of needing to then rework every item to fit the new model, but it's pretty ridiculous to have not added in some dark skin shades by now.
because its intentional, and afaik they have a semi-working female body in the game that can be enabled through some kind of config fuckery

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 28, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Not including females models at least makes a little sense in terms of needing to then rework every item to fit the new model, but it's pretty ridiculous to have not added in some dark skin shades by now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lister posted:

It's a Slovenian dev team, they'll never ever add it.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Yes those Slovenes are the most prejudiced nationality on earth, save perhaps the Frenchman

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's a Slovenian dev team, they'll never ever add it.

I wonder if games like the ghost of tsushima will also be subjected to demands for racial diversion, like Mordhau and Kingdom Come? Or is that a requirement for games with a western historical setting only?

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 28, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

GyverMac posted:

I wonder if games like the ghost of tsushima will also be subjected to demands of racial diversion, like Mordhau and Kingdom Come? Or is that a requirement for games with a western historical setting only?

What are the demands of racial diversion?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can't wait for this one :suspense:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mugsbaloney posted:

Yes those Slovenes are the most prejudiced nationality on earth, save perhaps the Frenchman

I hate those prejudiced Slovenes :argh:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hakimashou posted:

What are the demands of racial diversion?

Eh, english isnt my first language, I'll try to restructure the sentence, hopefully it will make more sense. The question i was trying to ask was if other ethnically monogamous historical games will be subjected to the same demands for racial diversion as Mordhau and Kingdom Come has.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 28, 2020

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Telltolin posted:

No, of course not - they said that simply because there was a "gaming news" site pressuring them about their goose-stepping community. i'm 100% sure they never had any intention of adding that into their porcelain perfect game. the only thing that surprises me is that they didn't say the game takes place during the year 1488.

it really depresses me actually because I really love the mechanics of mordhau and want to be able to get back into it, play duels - but I get turned off every time after seeing how rancid the people are. Nazi punks stop loving up my swordfighting game!

Hence why I disabled chat.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

GyverMac posted:

Eh, english isnt my first language, I'll try to restructure the sentence, hopefully it will make more sense. The question i was trying to ask was if other ethnically monogamous historical games will be subjected to the same demands for racial diversion as Mordhau and Kingdom Come has.

I think what we're more likely seeing here is western people and western media speaking to what they know. We're familiar with the issue of white supremacists co-opting those historical sources, so we're pretty sensitive to how those settings are portrayed in media.

What most of us aren't familiar with are the racial politics of other non-western societies and how that's influenced by the modern potrayal of their own historical settings. That doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing to think critically about there or that a double-standard is being intentionally applied, but it could be a good opportunity for us to reflect and check our blindspots.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Escape_GOAT posted:

Hence why I disabled chat.

I’ve noticed a few new pc games that default chat to hidden, and will only show the chat box after hitting the button prompt, great idea

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

GyverMac posted:

This is complete protector-of-european-purity horseshit.

First off, Mordhau isn't set during a real time period or place. It features equipment and attitudes and whatever spanning at least 600 years all across Europe, from as north as like 900s Norway to west as 1500s Portugal and east as inspirations from the Kievan Rus and a tiny bit of the Byzantines. That's literally all of Europe minus Finland. And you know what Europe never was during that time period?

Ethnically monogamous. Ethnic majority? Sure, but consider that there's those Portuguese large two-handed swords: during that era, the Moors still ruled the Iberian Peninsula. Trade, communication, and believe it or not, immigration is like not only common through both ways with Northern Africa, it was pretty much commercially necessary. The Silk Road exists, the Mongol Empire is knocking on Eastern Europe's door - and in Hungary's case, kicking it in - and this just naturally means people settle everywhere. Racism as it exists in the modern sense isn't how Medieval peoples thought of eachother; it's both more and less virulent, the concept of "whiteness" didn't exist. Xenophobia exists, sure, but xenophobia in the sense that you hate those who surround you - Europeans of the time mainly hated other Europeans, because "I, a Genoan, despise those Venetian motherfuckers for any number of reasons, from arbitrary ones to them poaching sea trade right from under my nose to outright piracy, or what have you." That kind of thing, and of course Religion is far, far more important of a reason for them at the time to despise anyone rather than the color of their skin - the Pope says so, and the Papacy is literally the closest thing to a central authority in Europe (up until Protestantism runs rampant in the HRE.)

Whatever the case, Mordhau isn't historically accurate - at all - and the inclusion of being able to play as anyone but a pasty white boy with this hopeless number of skin tones would improve that immensely.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is like, this but even worse, because it is set during a historical time and place and is supposed to be historically, and fucks it up royally anyway with some historical revisionist bullshit, and pointing it out to the (gamergater, rear end in a top hat) developers is met with derision. Like, come the gently caress on, the patron saint of the HRE, Saint Maurice, is a black dude. Bohemia would have had tons of nonwhite folks!! It's an economically important center in the HRE, of course there's both permanent and temporary residents from elsewhere there!!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

What do you think any of this screed will accomplish to change the minds of anyone who doesn't already feel the same way you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
What, are you annoyed that I'm mad about racists? Go gently caress yourself.