Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was. Unfortunately now you only get to see him hit the ground on his feet if you picked his as MC now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I had to run back out because I had a thing to do, though I suppose I could've just autosaved. Also started getting paranoid about not gearing up off the seeds that dropped.
Class 4 seems to use the same gear that the Class 3 does, at least from what I've been getting from silver/gold seeds on a max level pot. So it's pretty ok to just run on through.

I'm so close to a sub-1 min Anise run. The problem really is the teleporting. My time of 1.00.69 (on Hard) was from when I got lucky and my AI buddy stunlocked her with a CS so I could rip her apart.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Playing my second run with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Got all six class change items in the first six ??? seeds and was able to get them all to class 3 right at level 38, thinking of buying some scratch-off tickets.

e:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Class 4 seems to use the same gear that the Class 3 does, at least from what I've been getting from silver/gold seeds on a max level pot. So it's pretty ok to just run on through.

There's separate ultimate gear for class 4 that you can get from seeds. On my first playthrough Lise had her ultimate weapon as Star Lancer and got a better one later on after she class changed up to Valkyrie.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 28, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Finished my 2nd playthrough. 300% xp chain made it a breeze of course, but nothing will ever compare to Angela. I tried doing Ninja Master, Star Lancer and Warrior Monk/Divine Fist and nothing even comes close. Hawkeye does cast faster, so he has that going for him. I feel like I might have built him wrong. I was lv99 by the time I did Anise, but I never got under 1:30 so I just left it there.

Next up, either Charlotte/Kevin (not sure who I want to main) and some unlucky tag-along

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just finished the post-credits dungeon. God drat, Angela is a beast. I know Duran and Kevin are supposed to be the other two heavy dps characters, but I don't see how they can even compare to Lucent Beam+ spam.

I bet this game could be fun to speedrun.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

hell yea kicked the dragonlords rear end. you know a game is good when you start a new run right after finishing it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Dackel posted:

Finished my 2nd playthrough. 300% xp chain made it a breeze of course, but nothing will ever compare to Angela. I tried doing Ninja Master, Star Lancer and Warrior Monk/Divine Fist and nothing even comes close. Hawkeye does cast faster, so he has that going for him. I feel like I might have built him wrong. I was lv99 by the time I did Anise, but I never got under 1:30 so I just left it there.

Next up, either Charlotte/Kevin (not sure who I want to main) and some unlucky tag-along

Hawkeye, since he doesn't seem to mind Niccolo's odd speech patterns.

For real though, Nomad Hawkeye as a CS battery for Fatal Fist Kevin could be really fun. Not really sure how Nature Aura works, though. In the OG, it just filled it up to max. I'm guessing it here it makes more of those blue things drop. Charlotte also has abilities that say "Add CS when healing an ally", but I don't know if it's just on herself.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Just finished the post-credits dungeon. God drat, Angela is a beast. I know Duran and Kevin are supposed to be the other two heavy dps characters, but I don't see how they can even compare to Lucent Beam+ spam.

They can't. But they can still contribute to DPS in a superior way.

By being Dark/Dark Angela's blood sacrifice.

(Wound Magic All powering Ancient Curse is where all reason gets replaced with mad laughter)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Delivery coming in today, Angela/Duran/Riesz party.

I was thinking Dark Riesz for debuffs, buff up with items, light Duran for heals, and Dark Angela because I always went light with her in the original.

Anything I might have overlooked with those decisions?

E: or I could go dark Duran for the horny on main party and do full item healing :shrug:
Best healing is killing the enemies before they deal damage after all.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 28, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought it was cute that they kept the side view sections in the Woods of Wandara even though they presumably did it that way to better show the background scenery in the original and now it's a 3D game with a freely moving camera. Not only that but went a step further and added platforming to them.
There are a lot of neat touches like that in the game. Like I also really didn't expect to see the effect from the original game where you can look out from high up in the mountains and see the curvature of the earth in a 3D remake, but they replicated that effect as well.
Like a lot of people already thinking about the next run through the game. What does the New Game+ actually do if you don't use any characters from the first time?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm so close to a sub-1 min Anise run. The problem really is the teleporting. My time of 1.00.69 (on Hard) was from when I got lucky and my AI buddy stunlocked her with a CS so I could rip her apart.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Playing my second run with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Got all six class change items in the first six ??? seeds and was able to get them all to class 3 right at level 38, thinking of buying some scratch-off tickets.

e:

There's separate ultimate gear for class 4 that you can get from seeds. On my first playthrough Lise had her ultimate weapon as Star Lancer and got a better one later on after she class changed up to Valkyrie.

I am pretty sure Class 4 gear only drops from platinum seeds, so keep those unharvested until you get class 4.

Fister Roboto posted:

As insane as is Lucent Beam+ spam, Ancient curse is just better for pure DPS against bosses. Lucent Beam+ speam (or other appropriate elements) are really drat good for killing slightly weaker enemies quicker though, because cast time.

Also I suspect on a Holy day Lucent Beam+ + enemy weak to holy might equal Ancient Curse. Maybe.

Anyone has a opinion on whether Archmage or Grand Diviner is better? seems like the locked passive of Grand Diviner is just flat out better unless you expect Angela to get killed constantly, but apart from that the only difference is that Grand Diviner gets a flat +25% to damage ability and Archmage gets a 10% stackable to +30%? Or am I missing something?

How does Doppleganger compare to Glittering Dust? I know Glittering Dust had annoyingly small AoE that didn't work too well against Anise's first form.

Item Getter posted:

I thought it was cute that they kept the side view sections in the Woods of Wandara even though they presumably did it that way to better show the background scenery in the original and now it's a 3D game with a freely moving camera. Not only that but went a step further and added platforming to them.
There are a lot of neat touches like that in the game. Like I also really didn't expect to see the effect from the original game where you can look out from high up in the mountains and see the curvature of the earth in a 3D remake, but they replicated that effect as well.
Like a lot of people already thinking about the next run through the game. What does the New Game+ actually do if you don't use any characters from the first time?

You keep all your chain abilities you had available in the other chars (and gained through talking) in the save you use for NG+, so I'd suggest a respec just before the end to get all chain abilities on the chars.

Also keeping seeds ??? for quick class 3 as soon as level 38 is good civ.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 28, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Anyone has a opinion on whether Archmage or Grand Diviner is better? seems like the locked passive of Grand Diviner is just flat out better unless you expect Angela to get killed constantly, but apart from that the only difference is that Grand Diviner gets a flat +25% to damage ability and Archmage gets a 10% stackable to +30%? Or am I missing something?

How does Doppleganger compare to Glittering Dust? I know Glittering Dust had annoyingly small AoE that didn't work too well against Anise's first form.

Archmage appears to be geared toward boss fights, while GD is for annihilating mobs. Their STR damage buffs are +20% to bosses and non-bosses, respectively. GD's locked ability is obviously meant to sustain MP in dungeons, while Archmage's is more likely to trigger against a boss. Archmage also gets a single target CS while GD's is AoE.

Glitter Dust looks looks like it's slightly stronger than Doppelganger.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Archmage appears to be geared toward boss fights, while GD is for annihilating mobs. Their STR damage buffs are +20% to bosses and non-bosses, respectively. GD's locked ability is obviously meant to sustain MP in dungeons, while Archmage's is more likely to trigger against a boss. Archmage also gets a single target CS while GD's is AoE.

Glitter Dust looks looks like it's slightly stronger than Doppelganger.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about Judge. Yeah, Judge is actually a fairly big deal there. Good call about the overall themes. Glad I went Archmage then.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
My entire party just got petrified in one fell swoop and I lost 40 minutes of progress. :(

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
oof, sorry to hear that mate :(
Golems in snow im assuming?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dackel posted:

I've done Ninja Master Hawkeye + Star Lancer Riesz and beat all three missions within the given timeframe on first try. It was pretty fun, even if I didn't have the T4 weapon.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Shoenin posted:

oof, sorry to hear that mate :(
Golems in snow im assuming?

Nah, loving cockatrice things on the volcano island.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
oh yeah them too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

Nah, loving cockatrice things on the volcano island.
Haha they got me too. Once. :argh:

Wasn't 40 minutes at least, only about 15 for me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e:

Somebody earlier in the thread said that ??? seeds can't be duplicates in your inventory. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The remake really did the beastmen dirty. Their forest and tower is noticeably easier than every other area in the game, Lugar is a chump, Dolan kills your party members with his jump rope gimmick but otherwise is fairly middle of the road as Benevodon fights go.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A Trials of mana LP

So this has started up after days of furious voting! If you're just curious about the Riesz/Hawkeye story then have a look and hopefully you can get really upset at all the boneheaded decisions I make.

I'm loving the game so far. Actually having combos is really solid, but I'm a little peeved that I can't shortcut stuff like Angela's spells to Riesz so that i can order her to shoot Holy bolts whilst I'm fighting.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I recall reading somewhere that you had to play through the game six time to get all the trophies, which is not correct. You should only need to play through three times as there are trophies for each of the three possible final bosses you can get.

I'm halfway through my 3rd play through now. FYI - you can use saved ??? Seeds after your first class change at the wind crystal and immediately change to class 3 if you're on New Game +

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a huge difference between Grand Diviner and Archmage? I'm thinking of going Archmage because I like the outfit better. Otherwise it seems like they mostly learn the same spells. What's the difference between Doppelganger and Glitter Dust?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a huge difference between Grand Diviner and Archmage? I'm thinking of going Archmage because I like the outfit better. Otherwise it seems like they mostly learn the same spells. What's the difference between Doppelganger and Glitter Dust?

I asked the same question a big before, and the difference seems to be that Grand Diviner is geared toward mob fights and Archmage toward boss fights:
- Grand Diviner has a +25% to magic damage skill, while Archmage has a +10-30% scalable one with repeats
- Grand Diviner has a +% damage to non-boss skill, while Archmage has a +% to boss skill
- Grand Diviner's locked passive seems to be about topping you off between fights (+15% at the end of each fights) while Archmage's is about giving you more mana within a fight (+40% if you go below 10% HP)

I don't know how Doppleganger works, so I can't tell you which is better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is there any place where I can find a (downloadable) soundtrack and artbook on sale? I was kind of disappointed that Steam didn't have a deluxe edition with that stuff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

What are/were the hit numbers you're pulling? I'm at the stage where Kevin is hit/critting for 1k on each light attack (so a full 4x w/power attack combo does somewhere in the 8-11k damage range) against Anise.

Arkeus posted:

I am pretty sure Class 4 gear only drops from platinum seeds, so keep those unharvested until you get class 4.
You mean Rainbow seeds? That figures, since I was trying to save them for NG+ but I might have to use them to Optimize My Beast Mode.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 28, 2020

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Trying very hard to avoid spoilers here as this is my first time through the game:

I have picked three characters, and still have a long way to go (currently level 18, just changed classes). Will i get closure on the story for those three characters or just my MC?

I ask because on my 2nd playthrough I intend to pick the other set of characters and would like to see the closure for all of them as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You get closure for the MC and their counterpart character if you brought them (each pair has a character from one town that gets attacked by another town).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Trying very hard to avoid spoilers here as this is my first time through the game:

I have picked three characters, and still have a long way to go (currently level 18, just changed classes). Will i get closure on the story for those three characters or just my MC?

I ask because on my 2nd playthrough I intend to pick the other set of characters and would like to see the closure for all of them as well.

Everyone in your party gets closure, but obviously not as fleshed out as when they're your MC. If your party member is the one that shares conflict with your MC's homeland, then it blends into your story better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just give me a Star Lancer promotion item, game! :argh:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Everyone in your party gets closure, but obviously not as fleshed out as when they're your MC. If your party member is the one that shares conflict with your MC's homeland, then it blends into your story better.

yes. for reference, duran & angela, kevin & charlotte, and riesz & hawkeye are the pairs. there is nothing wrong with ignoring them entirely, but you will gain greater insight into the overall story of that set of antagonists if you have your main character's paired character in the party.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay, after playing through to the postgame, I've identified my one big complaint about this game: doing a class strike doesn't stop time, but also it prevents you from swapping to another character and acting while the class strike is happening.

This is mostly fine, except for when bosses do the "destroy these objects or die!" trick and you need class strikes to bring them down. There's no way to have each of your characters class strike a different object at the same time. ...is there? Is there some way to access the CS crossbar from a non-centered character's ring menu?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, speaking of which, what's the trick for Dangaard? It spams those constantly and there isn't really any way to avoid its regular attacks either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think gameplay-wise the party I'd most want to use is, like, Hawkeye, Angela, and maybe Kevin so I have a healer, but I don't want to miss out on doing Hawkeye and Riesz together if I'm doing Hawkeye's story. But I also really want to use Angela.

I suppose I could do, like, Angela, Duran, and Hawkeye, but I was most interested in doing Hawkeye's story first so I dunno. How are Duran or Angela's stories? I don't really know much about what each story is "about" and whether anyone has a more compelling one generally.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of which, what's the trick for Dangaard? It spams those constantly and there isn't really any way to avoid its regular attacks either.

I mostly just found those very easy to destroy, as compared to some of the others? Xan Bie's all definitely needed a class strike and in the end it was probably easier just to panic heal.

The Crimson Wizard's orbs are also very hard to destroy because they're so drat far apart and I'm honestly not even sure how the AoE works on the only AoE class strike (Kevin) I have.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

I mostly just found those very easy to destroy, as compared to some of the others? Xan Bie's all definitely needed a class strike and in the end it was probably easier just to panic heal.

The Crimson Wizard's orbs are also very hard to destroy because they're so drat far apart and I'm honestly not even sure how the AoE works on the only AoE class strike (Kevin) I have.

I found that those were really flimsy and that just running around thwacking them with Angela's basic attack sufficed, although the timer got real close the final time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, Lucent Beam Plus. :catstare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Both postgame bosses down, 1:26 on the time trial, 6 ??? seeds stockpiled for new game +. I think I'm done for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo, Lucent Beam Plus. :catstare:

i know its insane i just got the 4th class change and im just steamrolling everything with it lol.

also does anyone know if rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear or is it just a higher chance at the 3rd class gear?