Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

SpartanIvy posted:

Do you know what kind of ants? Make sure they aren't carpenter ants or anything like that.

Hummmm, I have no clue. Dammit, now I have to do research on carpenter ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Shoes:

Headphones:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Doing all the baking, so bought all the vanilla extract. A pint of it :D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s so much vanilla.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Fun fact, Vanilla extract is 35% alcohol. :cheers:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone should sell vanilla with those liquid dropper caps. All the ones I've bought pour out too easily.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone should sell vanilla with those liquid dropper caps. All the ones I've bought pour out too easily.

That's cause you should use a lot of it. Measure it over your mixing bowl and make sure some extra splashes in. If real extract is too spendy for you, get artificial. Vanillan is vanillan, and in taste tests for bake goods no one can tell the difference.

edit: To explain more: I've experimented with different kinds of vanilla beans in creme brulee and I'm convinced it makes a difference there, but that's also using the beans and not extract. I prefer Mexican vanilla there. And it could all be in my head. But with vanilla, you have the vanillan plus a couple dozen other flavor compounds. Artificial vanilla extract only gives you the vanillan, but those other compounds are lost in most baked goods. Plus vanilla is front and center in creme brulee whereas it's just a supporting flavor in most baked goods.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Apr 28, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

These are good and cool

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's cause you should use a lot of it. Measure it over your mixing bowl and make sure some extra splashes in. If real extract is too spendy for you, get artificial. Vanillan is vanillan, and in taste tests for bake goods no one can tell the difference.

edit: To explain more: I've experimented with different kinds of vanilla beans in creme brulee and I'm convinced it makes a difference there, but that's also using the beans and not extract. I prefer Mexican vanilla there. And it could all be in my head. But with vanilla, you have the vanillan plus a couple dozen other flavor compounds. Artificial vanilla extract only gives you the vanillan, but those other compounds are lost in most baked goods. Plus vanilla is front and center in creme brulee whereas it's just a supporting flavor in most baked goods.

My mom bought me some 12 oz thing of madagascar extract that I think costs like $30 so I'm going to be stingey as a motherfucker with it.

But yeah when I run out I'll buy the fake stuff. I only use it for pancakes and I'm already using artificial sweeteners anyway.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Apr 28, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I don't really understand the hate for artificial vanilla extract for this exact reason. You're not going to be able to taste the other subtle flavors in most things, and the vanillin is exactly the same, so if the vanilla flavor isn't important enough in something to use actual beans it's weird to insist on using real vanilla extract.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sounds like the thing to do is cut the good pure vanilla with the generic artificial vanilla extract.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like the thing to do is cut the good pure vanilla with the generic artificial vanilla extract.

Vanilla so pure you can step on it two or three times before anyone notices. Get that good cook.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

fyallm posted:

You can usually draw them out with heavy synths or possible sunken cruise ships

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fyallm posted:

Capture a live one in a clear container and take to Google with "ants in X state" and start comparing pictures. Ant appearances vary by location. If it is carpenter ants it's not a huge deal. They work slowly and treatment for mine was easy. I spray twice a year around the perimeter of my home with Taurus SC and it kills them (and a billion other types of bugs).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fyallm posted:

Take a photo, find some reddit fulla ant nerds who will id it for ya

colas
Feb 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're not the blind guy from Get Out, are you? :ohdear:

There was a blind guy in Get Out?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I not only demand real vanilla, I demand real cinnamon, which most people don't even realize they don't have or buy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

colas posted:

There was a blind guy in Get Out?

it was kind of a major part of the movie

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

But who's the black dude next to him

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I was thinking of the original Get Out, starring Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xenoletum posted:

One of the most important Future Funk albums finally got a vinyl release as well as a cassette reissue, so I’m glad to pick that up.

https://neoncityrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cham

From way back, have you got yours in yet? I picked it up as well, and like, it should have shipped a month ago or so? Yeah, Hong Kong and Coronavirus and all, but like, I'd think it'd be here by now if it did ship, but I don't seem to have ever got a shipping email. Or any other sort of status update.

Nor for the Neoncity Cruise vinyl I bought a couple of weeks before that one either, now I look back through my email.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

ReidRansom posted:

From way back, have you got yours in yet? I picked it up as well, and like, it should have shipped a month ago or so? Yeah, Hong Kong and Coronavirus and all, but like, I'd think it'd be here by now if it did ship, but I don't seem to have ever got a shipping email. Or any other sort of status update.

Nor for the Neoncity Cruise vinyl I bought a couple of weeks before that one either, now I look back through my email.

My cassette reissue got a shipping notification, but it's sitting held up in post per tracking. We haven't gotten a shipping notification for the vinyl copy just yet, but with 'rona, and us customs being absolute shite, i'd be expecting to wait a decent while.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xenoletum posted:

My cassette reissue got a shipping notification, but it's sitting held up in post per tracking. We haven't gotten a shipping notification for the vinyl copy just yet, but with 'rona, and us customs being absolute shite, i'd be expecting to wait a decent while.

Good to know it's not just me, at least, I suppose.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Clear vanilla is the flavor of store birthday cake, apparently, and when I've used it the assessment seemed accurate. Another good creme is just some cardamom seeds. I did one with a little black garlic and some cardamom and people were losing their poo poo over it.

Pick posted:

I not only demand real vanilla, I demand real cinnamon, which most people don't even realize they don't have or buy.

Is that the one with the least coumarin/most layers in the barky spiral? I hope so 'cuz that's what I got on the innernetz' recommendation.

Recently bought Stranded Deep for PS4, a survival game that has sharks which brings on the 'gently caress the ocean' vibe really strong but at least doesn't have the galloping horrible cannibals of The Forest.

Also, bokashi grain from a brewery in San Diego to hopefully be able to compost in small space/5 gallon buckets so I can have fresh veg with less waste and improve my soil. Like a lot of other people I've fallen in love with gardening (again for me) and I now have all the radish varieties popping up all over, lettuce, peppers and tomatoes, etc.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

My mom bought me some 12 oz thing of madagascar extract that I think costs like $30 so I'm going to be stingey as a motherfucker with it.

Please don’t force good vanilla to make your food worse. That defeats the purpose, and is a much bigger waste than being heavy handed with it. Using the right amount of cheap vanilla will be better than good vanilla used sparingly.

Life is short. Revel in your fancy vanilla.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Upgraded Reason from version 10 to 11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMh3ZEFyEmo

Also got the Massive X VST with 3 expansions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4mfM73egsQ

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

and

Thank god for sales and reward codes. :shepspends:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

and

Thank god for sales and reward codes. :shepspends:

That angry Clark scares me. :gonk:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty much why I bought it. It's an alternate headsculpt. The normal one is the usual sternish Superman look.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the teeth creep me out

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just bought a brand new Nintendo switch from a nice goon who didn't charge me 900 for it. Now to try and not buy every Nintendo game ever made.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

that gordon freeman looks like he has a jheri curl

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Still trying to figure out how everything works

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

just do whatever is the coolest and chillest and you'll succeed

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Seriously. I realized I should stop looking at what people are doing online because some people are willing to put more time and effort into it than I am capable of while remaining chill / employed and i get jealous. Oh, I bought that too.

Actually I was kinda worried my Switch would be a waste of money before I bought these 3 games very recently:
1) Animal Crossing
2) Diablo 3
3) Streets of Rage 4

SoR 4 is awesome and made me realize how much I missed SoR 2 from my childhood. Diablo 3 is a better version of the PC game and I've already sunk a zillion hours into it. Animal Crossing is Animal Crossing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I bought a retro Schwinn Predator because I wanted a BMX cruiser and this fit the bill. It was about a hundred higher than my budget but I’m paying it off over a few months. I drew a picture of it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Breath of the Wild on its own was worth my switch purchase years ago and I wasn’t even a Zelda fan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Breath of the Wild on its own was worth my switch purchase years ago and I wasn’t even a Zelda fan.
Same but without the switch.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It would be so cool if I could go to the store - "Hello, one Nintendo Switch please." clerk - "Here you go." In the meantime I guess I'll try the DS version of AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been playing the iOS Animal Crossing which is alot like the old DS version. I don't expect that I'll be seeing a Switch this year.