Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

barkbell posted:

That looks exactly like my dealer's from college. It has some pretty bad reviews tho, maybe that's why he used it.

It's got a 4.4 out of 5 stars with 514 ratings which is pretty good with Amazon? It's pretty accurate in my experience. The calibration weight is really helpful to verify you tare the whole thing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have this great tiny guy to weigh, of all things, yarn. Also works well for kitchen stuff. Even if you don't want that exact one, https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/ is great. Here are all the ones with 0.01 accuracy if you want to be that specific.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

barkbell posted:

That looks exactly like my dealer's from college. It has some pretty bad reviews tho, maybe that's why he used it.

Everything is made in China. Any .01g scale from Amazon - especially ones you can calibrate - will get you close enough for any non-crazy modernist cuisine stuff

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 26, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A few pages late but I'm really surprised the stainless steel cookware discussion happened without the Tramontina tri-ply being mentioned.

They are a shameless knockoff All-Clad's D5 line. They are very well made and perform 95% as good as the D5 line at 1/4 the price. I've owned the 8 piece set for 7 years and I don't see myself replacing them, ever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Speaking of discounts. All-Clad is currently having a sale on factory "seconds" or the ones with damaged packaging or other minor imperfections.

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Everything is made in China. Any .01g scale from Amazon - especially ones you can calibrate - will get you close enough for any non-crazy modernist cuisine stuff

This. Get a cheap scale, it doesn't actually matter.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of discounts. All-Clad is currently having a sale on factory "seconds" or the ones with damaged packaging or other minor imperfections.

drat. all the sauciers are gone

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shroomie posted:

My favorite is when someone asks a question about a product and someone responds with "I don't know, I don't own this"

People who do this need to be hunted in the streets for sport.

I guarantee you they’re all idiot boomers.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone have a good recommendation for canele molds? They're so affordable in the UK, but it seems like in the US I can only find them for $20+ per individual mold, rather than the ~5 euros I've seen in Europe.

I'm even willing to settle on a solid silicone mold, but I can't find one that has good reviews or isn't similarly expensive.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

Hey kitchen equipment thread,

A while back I upgraded from an electric oven to a gas oven/stove. It's kickass for most purposes, but: the oven doesn't have a setting below 275. Not a problem for most things, but I can't do a low and slow braise in it. Some of the best braises I ever did were 6-8 hours at 200. I'm thinking I should just get a really big crock pot for when I do want to braise. I already have a small crock pot, so my tentative plan is to ditch it in favor of the new big one. So my questions are

1. Is a crock pot the correct solution here? Or is there some other piece of equipment entirely? I'm looking for something that can handle (at times) large cuts of meat, e.g. up to 12 lbs plus soffrito plus liquid. I'm not going to buy another full size oven for this, but I'll entertain possibilities.

2. Does a crock pot do the same thing as an oven braise, or is there some real difference in how the food turns out?

3. Is there a crock pot with precise temp control? I've only seen low/high/keep warm

A crock pot would only replace the low temp portion of braising, you would still need to sear it in a pan and transfer it to the crock pot for it to be considered braised. Which is very possible. Some crock pots also have a high enough temperature to let you sear on it before lowering the temperature. As for configurable temperatures, that would probably be only high end models.

That said, my controversial opinion is that crock ovens are bulky unitaskers, and you would be better off with a cast iron dutch oven. You would sear it on the stove and then move the dutch oven into the oven for the low and slow part.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for canele molds? They're so affordable in the UK, but it seems like in the US I can only find them for $20+ per individual mold, rather than the ~5 euros I've seen in Europe.

I'm even willing to settle on a solid silicone mold, but I can't find one that has good reviews or isn't similarly expensive.

These are from France so not sure how outrageous shipping might be but they are cheaper and offer a volume discount.

http://cannelemold.com/#molds

Thesr are from a good silicone mold manufacturer

https://www.pastrychef.com/SILICONE-MOLD--CANELE_p_1300.html

The biggest problem with silicone molds for canele is that things don't brown as much in silicone and a canele is all about getting that deep browning on the outside.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Crock pots kinda suck, yeah. If you can afford a slightly higher price, and you need a slow cooker: buy an electric pressure cooker (e.g. Instant Pot) instead. They can all do slow-cooking pretty well but also get you the benefits of a pressure cooker (which kicks all kinds of rear end). And honestly, you can use a pressure cooker to do a lot of what you'd use a slow cooker for, but in minutes instead of hours.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pressure cookers rock. Like you said they can do slow cooking, pressure cooking, rice making, soups, and a whole mess of other things. I use mine probably once a week at least. Several if I'm making rice a few times that week.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

xtal posted:

That said, my controversial opinion is that crock ovens are bulky unitaskers, and you would be better off with a cast iron dutch oven. You would sear it on the stove and then move the dutch oven into the oven for the low and slow part.

His oven doesn't go that low, that's why he's asking for another option.

I know very little about braising, but I like pressure cooking, so regarding pressure cookers and braising, I have a general question. Is it expected that part of your braising liquid will evaporate and thicken the remainder? If so, wouldn't the lack of evaporation in a pressure cooker give you a different result? I'm curious if I can convert a braising recipe to a pressure cooker recipe, or if it'll be all thrown off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kylaer posted:

I know very little about braising, but I like pressure cooking, so regarding pressure cookers and braising, I have a general question. Is it expected that part of your braising liquid will evaporate and thicken the remainder? If so, wouldn't the lack of evaporation in a pressure cooker give you a different result? I'm curious if I can convert a braising recipe to a pressure cooker recipe, or if it'll be all thrown off.

generally you use less liquid in a pressure cooker and/or reduce it separately at the end.

a lot of times the final step in the braise will to be to separately reduce and thicken the braising liquid into a sauce anyways, so i don't think it's terribly different

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eke out posted:

a lot of times the final step in the braise will to be to separately reduce and thicken the braising liquid into a sauce
This is important and most crockpot recipes don't tell you to do reduce the liquid. It's why so much stuff from a crockpot tastes like it's from a crockpot and kind of meh-reduce the juice and turn it into concentrated flavor liquid and the crockpot gets 100% better.

Crocks pots are good and make good things safely. I'm not gonna leave my oven on all day while I'm out of the house, but I will definitely leave something in the crockpot.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

barkbell posted:

drat. all the sauciers are gone
If you get on their mailing list they actually have those factory seconds sales pretty regularly, it's taken me a couple years to accept that I Just Don't Need Anything before I finally opted out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bought some stuff from them a while ago and get an email every other week that they're having another sale.

For what it's worth nothing I bought seemed to be scratched or damaged or any different than the other All Clad stuff I have.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the responses to braising chat, everyone. I'm probably gonna get a mormon family size crockpot for the long braises, I'll post if I find one with special temp settings.

New question: I already own and enjoy an electric pressure cooker. What does a stovetop pressure cooker do that an electric doesn't? What does it do better?

I did a bit of research and it sounds like making stock (i do this in a stock pot just fine) and pressure frying (sounds terrifying!) are a couple of the things that are possible in a stovetop pressure cooker. What else?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks for the responses to braising chat, everyone. I'm probably gonna get a mormon family size crockpot for the long braises, I'll post if I find one with special temp settings.

New question: I already own and enjoy an electric pressure cooker. What does a stovetop pressure cooker do that an electric doesn't? What does it do better?

I did a bit of research and it sounds like making stock (i do this in a stock pot just fine) and pressure frying (sounds terrifying!) are a couple of the things that are possible in a stovetop pressure cooker. What else?

You can make stock no problem in an electric pressure cooker, I do it all the time. You also need a special pressure fryer to pressure fry, most stovetop ones can't do it I think (and you're right, it does sound terrifying). Same for canning, you need a special pressure canner. Really a stovetop one will be slightly faster as it gets to a bit higher pressure, but not enough to really enable a ton of new use cases. It might be easier to do recipes that involve searing or sauteing things prior to pressure cooking. It's usually fairly straightforward to convert a recipe from stovetop to electric or vice-versa.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have both and haven't bothered with the stovetop one since I got the IP-I really appreciate the non fiddly nature of the IP.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I would argue that electric pressure cookers are the best way to make stock, period.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vim Fuego posted:

On a stove top model, the heat will get significantly higher than the electric model. So if you’re going to do a popping of spices, then add beans, and then pressure cook, it’ll be possible on the stove, whereas the electric will never get hot enough. Also, the stove top doesn’t scream that obnoxious “overheat” error like the instant pot does. My sister in law has one, and she ends up using it for potatoes. The rice cooker does the rice. The stove top pressure cookers of various sizes do everything else. The instant pot is relegated to potatoes, because it sucks at anything else Indian.

Long story short, you have way less control with an electric. But if you have recipes that are already timed and give you exact guidance, and you tend to cook that way, live your best life I guess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dino. posted:

On a stove top model, the heat will get significantly higher than the electric model. So if you’re going to do a popping of spices, then add beans, and then pressure cook, it’ll be possible on the stove, whereas the electric will never get hot enough. Also, the stove top doesn’t scream that obnoxious “overheat” error like the instant pot does. My sister in law has one, and she ends up using it for potatoes. The rice cooker does the rice. The stove top pressure cookers of various sizes do everything else. The instant pot is relegated to potatoes, because it sucks at anything else Indian.

Long story short, you have way less control with an electric. But if you have recipes that are already timed and give you exact guidance, and you tend to cook that way, live your best life I guess.

????

i mean it's reasonable to not prefer electric pressure cookers but it's objectively untrue that they can't get hot enough to do things like get spices to pop. and the overheat/burn error is because you didn't use enough liquid and it can tell that the temperature is higher than should be possible in a sealed pressure cooker -- under the same conditions, your stovetop would also be burning your poo poo, you just won't know until you can smell it.

if you're gonna do that condescending "well if that's how you want to cook live your best life i guess :smug:" thing you should at least have some idea what you're talking about

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 28, 2020

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the instant pot insert stovetop safe? Can't you just put it on a burner, sear/pop spices/whatever, and then put it back in?
Edit: no it is not. My bad.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's just not true see: canning.

Similarly you'll never be able to get high heat searing/cooking pre pressure with an electric anything compared to a range. You will top out at 450 or 500.

I really only use my electric for risotto and the stove top for everything else now that I have gas/consistent BTUs. I used the electric more when I had a glasstop range that was hard to dial in. Having the ability to instantly drop pressure is nice too.

/e- idk wrt instapot on the stove. I've had mine for about a decade and it has non-stick interior.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thoht posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the instant pot insert stovetop safe? Can't you just put it on a burner, sear/pop spices/whatever, and then put it back in?
Edit: no it is not. My bad.

I do it all the time on my (weak) gas range. The pot bottom is slightly domed which is annoying, but my stove already isn’t level so I’m used to having all my oil pool in one side or the other of my pots. Where did you find that it’s not stovetop safe?

E: mine does not have an interior or exterior coating

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dino. posted:

You can also just ignore the burn/overheat error to some extend. The heat will come back on in a minute and try again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guy Axlerod posted:

You can also just ignore the burn/overheat error to some extend. The heat will come back on in a minute and try again.

This changes everything!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Lawnie posted:

I do it all the time on my (weak) gas range. The pot bottom is slightly domed which is annoying, but my stove already isn’t level so I’m used to having all my oil pool in one side or the other of my pots. Where did you find that it’s not stovetop safe?

E: mine does not have an interior or exterior coating

It doesn’t say on the manual to not use it on the stove? If that inner thingy is stove top safe, I take back every bad thing I ever said. That sounds like hella a game changer. Up till now, If I’m at a friend’s house that doesn’t have a stove top pressure cooker, I’ll just do the spices and the onions and whatnot really quick on the stove (while doing the water in an electric kettle) and then rinse out that stove top pan with the water I would be using to cook the beans, and it’s worked just fine. The whole thing hits pressure really quickly, because it doesn’t have to work to get up to heat so much. If it’s possible to just throw the inner pot on the stove, that’s awesome.

Also, to the person who thinks I’m being a condescending poo poo: I know what it means to pop spices. I’ve been cooking South Indian since I was 10. Your definition and mine might be two different things, but I’m not making stuff up to be a jerk. This was the experience that I’d had with the thing. It doesn’t get hot enough. Popping spices should take a few seconds once you throw them in. I can be a condescending poo poo for several reasons. This ain’t one of them. Next time, stretch before you reach that hard.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Well you definitely are proving your ability to sound like a condescending poo poo

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
He's really not though? dino is a cool and mostly easy going dude I think you're reading something into what he's saying that's not there :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How hot do you need to get spices? My instant pot goes to 345 f (about 175c)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 28, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The IP will sear but it's slow so I use the liner on the stove all the time. Also I've never had a burn warning. But I just use it to cook meat, rice, yogurt, stock, stews, occasionally eggs, and soon will be trying a cheesecake. It's really nice when I need the stove for something else or don't want to babysit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Croatoan posted:

He's really not though? dino is a cool and mostly easy going dude I think you're reading something into what he's saying that's not there :shrug:

The amount of drama in the kitchen equipment thread is the only reason I read it. I don't even remember what I came here for, a pan or something. It's amazing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nitrousoxide posted:

How hot do you need to get spices? My instant pot goes to 345 f (about 175c)

Ok, so buckle in, because this is basically what you want to do for any popping of spices.

- you want to use a neutral oil, like peanut or canola. Coconut will work in a pinch, but make sure it’s the kind that can take a good bit of heat.

- depending on what you’re making, you want your whole spices prepared. For mustard seed, cumin seed, and urad daal, you can use them as is. For personal preference, I prefer using whole hulled urad daal, but the split kind works too. For coriander or fennel, you want to crush it lightly to open it up. Cinnamon, clove, and cardamom, you’re not popping anyway, so just leave them as is, and you’re fine.

- you want something that will pool the oil in one spot, so that the spices are fully submerged. If you’re using a pressure cooker, a very common technique is to tilt the pot so that the oil is all in one edge, and then you get more depth.

- you want the oil hot enough that a bit of smoke escapes the surface once it has full heat. This means high heat. This isn’t meant to take a long time. You want the popping to start almost as soon as the spices hit the fat.

- this is why you see so many Indian cooks using those little spice boxes with the tiny spoons. It’s meant to go so fast that you don’t have time to faff about with jars.

- first goes mustard seed, cumin seed is last. The order does matter. After cumin goes curry leaf and asafoetida (if you are using it). The curry leaves need to hit the screaming hot oil, and instantly flash fry really crispy. There is a specific flavour that comes from that happening that you won’t get with a gently bubbling oil.

- start with the oil. Get it hot over high heat. Add mustard seed, lift the pot off the stove, and swirl. If the seeds didn’t pop instantly, your oil wasn’t hot enough. This is fine. You need to get the oil hot enough by the time the asafoetida and curry leaves go in. Set the pan flat on the heat, and wait until the mustard seeds start popping like mad.

- Once they begin flying all over the place, tilt the pan to get your pool of oil. This is a simple one, so your next ingredient is urad daal. Tilt, swirl around, and tilt again, so that the urad daal turns a golden reddish brown, but only just so. If your oil isn’t hot enough, your urad daal gets sulky and hard, Rather than crispy and shattery.

- add the cumin seeds as soon as you get a good light brown on the urad daal. Tilt, swirl. Tilt again.

- drop in your curry leaves and toss the pan (or stir it) so that the curry leaves explode with the sound of their frying. Add asafoetida ( a couple of shakes), and stir through. Again, this should instantly disperse in the oil, and smell super fragrant.

This whole process should take about 15 - 30 seconds, maximum. If it’s taking longer, the oil isn’t hot, and it won’t get that proper taste. Some people use olive oil, but if they’re not using the light, super refined stuff, the extra virgin stuff burns. Some people use indian sesame oil, and the oil burns and smokes. Bengalis use mustard oil, but that’s supposed to smoke. They still get it hot enough that the spices pop instantly.

I don’t know if I explained it clearly, so ask if there are any doubts. Also, if you do have an instant pot, and don’t mind using a separate pot for the popping of spices, you can do that procedure I just mentioned in what’s called a tarka pan. It’s a dedicated small little pan that has a narrow sided bowl so that you don’t have to tilt to get the depth of oil. You can throw the tarka on at the end if you want. That’s a perfectly valid way to do stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You should YouTube yourself doing this

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
wow, thanks for dropping knowledge in here! :worship:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

You should YouTube yourself doing this

I’ve put up a few YouTube videos on my general cooking stuff. Cannot recall if it involved these exact spices, but there you go. But basically any South Indian channel will tell you to do the same. It’s such a basic, ubiquitous part of our food that we all take it for granted, because we’ve watched every person in our family do that thing when they make any food of any sort.

And apparently that makes me a condescending rear end in a top hat. 😑

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm late to pressure cooker chat but mostly I'll echo dino. I've always had a manual pressure cooker (and I use mine constantly!), but I got to use an Instant Pot last year when I visited my parents. I can't really see myself ever buying an electric pressure cooker (unless I want to use it as a yogurt maker or something). They take up a lot of counter space, they give you way less control over the heat, they don't get hot enough, and if the electronics fail then you're hosed, whereas a manual pressure cooker isn't ever going to malfunction. An Instant Pot does have stuff like a yogurt maker setting, a slow cook setting (useless if you have a dutch oven and an oven, or a slow cooker, but whatever), and a "keep warm" function, so if you really want those, electronic may be the way to go. Otherwise manual pressure cookers seem like the best bet to me.