Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a race that gets me a free apartment in Mournhold? I thought it's the lizard guys, but that just gets me a free place in Ebonheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mike12345 posted:

Is there a race that gets me a free apartment in Mournhold? I thought it's the lizard guys, but that just gets me a free place in Ebonheart.
No. The six free rooms are the three alliances (Ebonheart, Daggerfall, Vulkhel Guard) and the three chapters (Alinor, Vivec City, Rimmen).
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Player_Housing

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Mournhold apartment isn't free for anyone.

You get one free apartment per character, and it's either the faction-specific one (in Vulkhel Guard, Ebonheart, or Daggerfall) or one of the ones in the main DLC areas.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Meh, ok. Well at least I got my free Psijic Villa back when they offered it as a bonus for buying Somerset.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

The Mournhold apartment isn't free for anyone.

It is, however, very cheap as player housing goes. It's a really convenient one to have as an account-wide port to that city, and worth the gold or crowns to unlock.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites updated to this point.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How often do they do the free play events? I wanted to try it on my Mac, but I guess I missed it. Don't want to pay the 20 bux just to see how it runs, and I'm not keen to start a whole new account and characters.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

How often do they do the free play events? I wanted to try it on my Mac, but I guess I missed it. Don't want to pay the 20 bux just to see how it runs, and I'm not keen to start a whole new account and characters.

I don't follow - you have an account? Then you can play...the most recent free thing was ESO+...

But the base game can be had for $10 - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-pc-cd-key

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you have an Xbone or can borrow one then the base game is on game pass for free

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sorry I currently play on PS4 but I’d like to see how it does on my MacBook Pro and what it’s like on a non-console. But I’m not so curious I want to throw more money at it.

Just wondering how often they do the free play thing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Sorry I currently play on PS4 but I’d like to see how it does on my MacBook Pro and what it’s like on a non-console. But I’m not so curious I want to throw more money at it.

Just wondering how often they do the free play thing.
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/category/free-play-weekend
Mar 2020
Nov 2019
Aug 2019
Mar 2019
Dec 2018
Mar 2018
Nov 2017
Apr 2017
Nov 2016

So, maybe in the summer, almost certainly in Nov/Dec.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Just started playing again as @ivomitkittens if someone can drop me an invite to the NA guild.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Been debating buying Greymoor as I'm a big skyrim fan and really just want more story content. I somehow bought Morrowind and Summerset despite not ever really getting into the game. Something about the combat has been hard for me to get a feel for. I'm never sure when I should be spamming skills or using light or heavy attacks. I guess it probably doesn't matter much for leveling but has made it feel awkward to get the hang of.

Also, I wish they had allowed me to start in the vanilla Coldharbor storyline. I hate starting whatever the most current expansion is and then having to run and take a boat or something to go start the main story. Feels very disjointed, but I guess I'm in the small minority on that.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

graynull posted:

Been debating buying Greymoor as I'm a big skyrim fan and really just want more story content. I somehow bought Morrowind and Summerset despite not ever really getting into the game. Something about the combat has been hard for me to get a feel for. I'm never sure when I should be spamming skills or using light or heavy attacks. I guess it probably doesn't matter much for leveling but has made it feel awkward to get the hang of.

Also, I wish they had allowed me to start in the vanilla Coldharbor storyline. I hate starting whatever the most current expansion is and then having to run and take a boat or something to go start the main story. Feels very disjointed, but I guess I'm in the small minority on that.

The way they handle it is pretty good, imo. The original game started with you having been previously kidnapped and sacrificed. Now, no matter what tutorial you start in, you get to play through the kidnapping part instead of it just being mentioned in the cutscene.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

graynull posted:

As someone who picked this game up last month, I agree with you. Starting in Elsweyr was strange, especially running into Cadwell and having no clue who he was. My wife and I just immediately looked at each other and asked "Is that John Cleese?". Turns out he's a huge part of the original game. Getting the option to start with the base game would be an improvement to the flow imo. I also wish they had some sort of suggested leveling path to keep the story in order. The other thing that bugs me is the way the mains story is done. It's clearly designed to flow in and out of the faction campaigns from the original game but now the second you leave coldharbor the prophet yells at you to come back. Would it be so difficult to just let you f'in stay there and immediately pick up the next quest without having to run up and down that long as tunnel?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

graynull posted:

i think we just had someone asking for that just the other page ago, it is actually pretty common since a lot of people want to try and do a close to "canon" run their first time. its long been a request since they started doing it with morrowind, but it's anyones guess if ZOS will do it

Frustrated posted:

As someone who picked this game up last month, I agree with you. Starting in Elsweyr was strange, especially running into Cadwell and having no clue who he was. My wife and I just immediately looked at each other and asked "Is that John Cleese?". Turns out he's a huge part of the original game. Getting the option to start with the base game would be an improvement to the flow imo. I also wish they had some sort of suggested leveling path to keep the story in order. The other thing that bugs me is the way the mains story is done. It's clearly designed to flow in and out of the faction campaigns from the original game but now the second you leave coldharbor the prophet yells at you to come back. Would it be so difficult to just let you f'in stay there and immediately pick up the next quest without having to run up and down that long as tunnel?

how it used to work was every five levels you'd get another main quest unlocked, and at launch you pretty much were expected to gain about 10 levels per zone doing most of the content. so by 45 you'd be about done with your faction zones and ready for coldharbour and starting the last main story quests about the same time

FG and MG were somewhat similar where the next quest always unlocked in the next of your faction zones so it kind of paced itself with you did all the main quest and side story stuff along the way

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

graynull posted:

Use a light attack between every skill cast. If you run out of mag or stam, use a heavy attack instead of the light attack. That should be enough to get you through the leveling content, and probably the regular difficulty non-expansion dungeons.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

g0del posted:

Use a light attack between every skill cast. If you run out of mag or stam, use a heavy attack instead of the light attack. That should be enough to get you through the leveling content, and probably the regular difficulty non-expansion dungeons.

Specifically what you're doing is cancelling the light attack animation with your skill cast, right?

graynull posted:

FWIW I bounced off this game a lot too. I think I prefer Magicka builds over Stamina builds because I think the melee feels too floaty but spell animations are flashy and fun, especially Sorcerer lightning. I went with a Nightblade as my first main though and I don't regret it. Having a "be invisible" button is incredibly convenient for running around collecting things.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Diephoon posted:

Specifically what you're doing is cancelling the light attack animation with your skill cast, right?
Ideally, yes. But I think at the level graynull was asking at, any weaving at all will probably be an improvement.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Diephoon posted:

Really the other way around, a lot of skill casts are excessively long but the actual ability hits/gets fired off way sooner, so you're cancelling that animation with the light/heavy attack so that you can start another skill faster.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

MF_James posted:

Really the other way around, a lot of skill casts are excessively long but the actual ability hits/gets fired off way sooner, so you're cancelling that animation with the light/heavy attack so that you can start another skill faster.

You're confusing some different things together. They were right, you cancel the light attack animation with the skill. But you can also cancel some skills (the ones with instant cast speed) like you said, not by light attacking, but by blocking or bar swapping.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It’s easiest to weave heavy attacks as a sorc (or just using a staff) at first. I didn’t get it either until I started doing that. Start a heavy attack and right when your character pulls their arm back to start the attack, hit a spell button. You’ll notice that the spell goes off immediately after the heavy attack and you can then start another heavy.

Light attack weaving is a little trickier, but basically the same thing.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s easiest to weave heavy attacks as a sorc (or just using a staff) at first. I didn’t get it either until I started doing that. Start a heavy attack and right when your character pulls their arm back to start the attack, hit a spell button. You’ll notice that the spell goes off immediately after the heavy attack and you can then start another heavy.

It's even easier than that actually, the game queues up the skill, so just press the skill while holding the heavy and the game will auto pop that skill once it decides that the heavy has gone off.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Fashion post! Updated some outfits with recent acquisitions.

And attempts at cosplay

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

When I hear Red Diamond

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 2, 2020

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Decided to check this out, could I get a guild invite? @Aradune

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Was stood next to a lizard in a bank wearing a tuxedo and I’ve never wanted anything more for mine, what was it?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Was stood next to a lizard in a bank wearing a tuxedo and I’ve never wanted anything more for mine, what was it?

The Wedding Suit, probably.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

SplitSoul posted:

The Wedding Suit, probably.

I used to wear that all the time in the pre-outfit system era.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

I used to wear that all the time in the pre-outfit system era.

Same.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Could i get an invite to both guilds, please?

Id: salsatacosweed

Na server

Six AM fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 4, 2020

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Updated invites to this point to both
Chill Bros and Deconstruct Circle Jerk
Up to this point

cnice
Apr 6, 2017
Can i get an invite for NA @TJG

cnice fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 7, 2020

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
looking for an invite to the NA guild (think I was in it years ago, but logged in and I guess you guys did a purging or something).

@rally

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
You both now have been invited/joined both to the main guild (Chill Bros) and to the Crafting Guild (Deconstruct Circle Jerks).

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I appreciate that the DLC dungeons have real mechanics and are more difficult, but holy christ the general population is so bad at this game. I was trying to do the Moon Hunter Keep pledge with a group this morning and they could not do it. I'm at 250cp, everyone else was 350 or above. It was a bad sign early when I was doing 35% of the dps as a healer, and even worse when we did the hedge maze guardian and I had to kill all of the spriggans myself. I was not prepared for how dumb they would be on Mylenne Moon-Caller. I had never been there before, but picked up pretty quickly that you have to interrupt her when she knocks someone down. First wipe was excusable. The next 6 were not. I explained multiple times that you had to interrupt when she pounced. I also explained that you needed to kill the adds. The group would do neither. We almost killed her twice just due to rng of me not getting pounced so I could interrupt, but eventually the wardens piled up and she would pounce me and it would be over.

Generally my play time in this game has been fun and relaxed, but that experience made me want to throw my computer through a window.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

MHK is the hardest dungeon and all the bosses take no poo poo but yeah it really just casts a harsh light on all but the most fortunate pugs.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Frustrated posted:

I appreciate that the DLC dungeons have real mechanics and are more difficult, but holy christ the general population is so bad at this game. I was trying to do the Moon Hunter Keep pledge with a group this morning and they could not do it. I'm at 250cp, everyone else was 350 or above. It was a bad sign early when I was doing 35% of the dps as a healer, and even worse when we did the hedge maze guardian and I had to kill all of the spriggans myself. I was not prepared for how dumb they would be on Mylenne Moon-Caller. I had never been there before, but picked up pretty quickly that you have to interrupt her when she knocks someone down. First wipe was excusable. The next 6 were not. I explained multiple times that you had to interrupt when she pounced. I also explained that you needed to kill the adds. The group would do neither. We almost killed her twice just due to rng of me not getting pounced so I could interrupt, but eventually the wardens piled up and she would pounce me and it would be over.

Generally my play time in this game has been fun and relaxed, but that experience made me want to throw my computer through a window.

Welcome to dealing with the general pug experience in ESO. I'm surprised they didn't vote-kick you for being a "toxic elitist" just because you tried to explain mechanics.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Dunno if there's a general TES lore thread, but I figured you all might be interested in this map I threw together of Cyrodiil and surrounding areas with ESO-era locations overlaid on TES4-era locations:

https://agesofcyrodiil.weebly.com/ (apologies for the crappy free hosting)

Besides the ayleid and imperial ruins you'd expect to see show up in both eras, there were some amusing surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scyantific posted:

Welcome to dealing with the general pug experience in ESO. I'm surprised they didn't vote-kick you for being a "toxic elitist" just because you tried to explain mechanics.

That said I've had some good experience with pugs too, including a vMHK pledge run that just steamrolled the place (I think we did have a single wipe but even then).

At least on the EU server but I assume there's experienced pugs on the US one as well.