Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

IMJack posted:

I'm trying to remember if the original game had roulette traps in chests like Secret of Mana does. I am happy this game does not.

SD3 had Roulette trap chests, it was why you made Hawkeye open all of the treasure chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is Watts's chain skill worth it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Save it for your second playthrough. You'll have so much money at that point you won't care.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The dwarf that opens up the way to Watts sounds like Charlie Day.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Is the order you get Class items fixed? I got my first ??? Seed, saved and reset 3 times and kept getting the Knight's Tab (Duran's Light/Light item).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mystery Seeds are set when you obtain them, not when you plant them

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

"Is nitromyte... food?"

Oh, Kevin :3:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

YggiDee posted:

Mystery Seeds are set when you obtain them, not when you plant them

Aw shucks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somebody earlier in the thread pointed out that you can’t get duplicated items from ??? Seeds. I ran through each dungeon and grabbed the six ??? seeds from the Benevodon dungeons and can confirm I got one of each possible class items and so did several other people in the thread so I guess my advice is to get six seeds and you’ll always get the item you want.

Anyway I just steamrolled Xan Bie after class changing and it owned.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

The dwarf that opens up the way to Watts sounds like Charlie Day.

All the dwarves sound like old timey prospectors. The voice direction for the English version is a marvel to behold.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can absolutely get duplicates, I pulled two sets of Dusk Dice so I had to grind seeds to get what I needed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sylphid sounds like Jon Lovitz.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got extremely lucky and pulled the classes I wanted for Reize and Hawkeye in my first two seeds.

I then proceeded to get nothing but more classes for them while poor Kevin languished for ages.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I got duplicates after my first 6 (so I had one of each class for my party) but 4 of those were from chests.
We'll see what happens with the ones I brought over from New Game + (especially since I have Kevin in this party being my 'stand there and heal' bot.)

gandlethorpe posted:

Is Watts's chain skill worth it?
It's an ok skill but it's nothing to grind money for.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YggiDee posted:

You can absolutely get duplicates, I pulled two sets of Dusk Dice so I had to grind seeds to get what I needed.

Did you wait until you had six in your inventory before growing them? Or did you do them one at a time?

You apparently can’t get duplicates if you have six in your inventory. But only for ??? seeds I guess.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

I got extremely lucky and pulled the classes I wanted for Reize and Hawkeye in my first two seeds.

I then proceeded to get nothing but more classes for them while poor Kevin languished for ages.

I had a similar outcome. First pull was Grand Diviner Angela, then the wrong Riesz one (I wanted Star Lancer), the other Angela one, a dupe of the wrong Riesz one, a dupe of the Grand Diviner one, and then finally the Star Lancer one.

Kevin was in class 2 while I was liquifying Zable Fahr with lasers. :v:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
man Malocchio can gently caress right off, cereal mascot-rear end wannabe vampire. Knocking down his heal ghost things in the extremely limited time you are given is kind of rough.

Everything else through to the end of the base game was fairly straightforward though. Guess I'll see what the deal with Anise is tomorrow.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you wait until you had six in your inventory before growing them? Or did you do them one at a time?

You apparently can’t get duplicates if you have six in your inventory. But only for ??? seeds I guess.

I think the trick is to grind six ??? seeds before you start turning them in.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Really surprised Hawkeye doesn't get all flirty in the Amazon base. Found him talking about Stella in Valsena. Maybe he just has a thing for aunts.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The "wait till you get 6 ??? Seeds" trick does work. I got one of each class item for Kevin, Riesz and Duran. Went with Enlightened for Kevin, Liege for Duran and Fenrir Knight for Riesz...and changed Riesz costume back to Rune Maiden. Why Japan?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Really appreciate some of the little extra touches they added. Like the dog in Astoria :smith:

Then there's a goofy cute cactus standing in some rubble 5 feet away from him

Edit: Wow, they made the koropokkur town 10000x more interesting. Though, I do wish they had put a Bi'g Cactus somewhere

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 29, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had completely forgotten the Koropokkur part even existed. That whole section is extremely weird, you're searching for Sylphid and get sent off on a quest to learn a strategy that basically boils down to "yeah, still need to find Sylphid"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted, especially since it never comes into play again. And don't forget the convenient way you get the squeaky hammer. Whatever, I love this game's goofy plot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Honestly the hardest part of a Charlotte-Kevin team is that Kevin gets something absurd like a 40% damage boost at low health and Charlotte will never, ever let me exploit it. I should rebuild her as a Necromancer, it'll give her something to do instead of neurotically manage my HP.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted, especially since it never comes into play again. And don't forget the convenient way you get the squeaky hammer. Whatever, I love this game's goofy plot.

Oh definitely. It's a goofy, fun plot but also takes a backseat enough to let you just enjoy the gameplay.

If people like this remake they should definitely play Ys 8 - it plays very similarly but the combat is more refined. It's also enjoyably anime bonkers as hell too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Malocchio is Magic Brian and you can't convince me otherwise.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Honestly the hardest part of a Charlotte-Kevin team is that Kevin gets something absurd like a 40% damage boost at low health and Charlotte will never, ever let me exploit it. I should rebuild her as a Necromancer, it'll give her something to do instead of neurotically manage my HP.

Can't you set her to not use items or magic?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I could set Charlotte not to use items or magic but it seems like a huge waste of a High Priestess. Changing her class will give her some better offensive options at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to do the other three for a second play through, but am wondering if a NG+ is a good idea or not. I suppose I would just be starting the game with all items and all the money I’d ever need which isn’t any different from how I always had all the money necessary to upgrade gear anyways, but with lvl 1 and no weapons. Is there an achievement or something?

Anyways, I loving hate that I switched Duran from Light/Dark to Dark/Dark before I hit class 4 because Liege was infinitely more useful than Duelist. Not having that group heal was really rough since I had the ability that gave me 5MP every 5 seconds making MP management a non issue as he could heal for roughly 60% on everyone on every cast. He did okay damage, but I felt I was missing out by not having sword buffs or that super-strong class strike. Turns out the grass isn’t greener. Archmage Angela with Riesz buffing (Star lancer) and Duran (Liege) was a very powerful party and I regret switching away from it, since now I’m chomping chocolates and candy and honey constantly when before I had a basically limitless healing reserve.

I should just switch back. Liege is cooler looking anyways.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I want to do the other three for a second play through, but am wondering if a NG+ is a good idea or not. I suppose I would just be starting the game with all items and all the money I’d ever need which isn’t any different from how I always had all the money necessary to upgrade gear anyways, but with lvl 1 and no weapons. Is there an achievement or something?

The main thing with NG+ is that ALL chain abilities that you've learned carry over, even if they're from characters that aren't in your NG+ party, so you can potentially build some really broken combos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some of the chains abilities are a bit overpowered which seems too tempting for me. The tomato man one that gives you 30% MP reduction at the cost of HP plus the MP over time ability(ies) alone means that MP management is a non-concern. Speedrunning seems like part of the intended way to play the game with how NG+ works.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the best build for a Riesz / Kevin / Charlotte team? I've always gone light for Kevin but I think this time I'll make him dark with Charlotte.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

seiferguy posted:

What's the best build for a Riesz / Kevin / Charlotte team? I've always gone light for Kevin but I think this time I'll make him dark with Charlotte.

I just finished an OG run with Fatal Fist/Necromancer/Star Lancer that breezed through the final dungeon. I imagine it's just as strong here. Basically, Kevin melts everything with the support of Riesz's team buffs and Charlotte's Dawk Cuwse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I decided to test Special Effect's "attack increased when enemy has status effect". When an enemy just had attack down (couldn't turn that off) Hawkeye did 100-150 damage with normal attacks. After poisioning it he did 150-200. So it looks like stat-downs don't count as status effect. That's supported by Retain boosting the duration of "status increase" (which I assume includes decreases since it's not a chain skill and on Hawkeye) but it raises questions why Hawkeye gets Special Effect in his Ninja Master line, the only status effect he gets there is from Toxic and he just gets the first rank of that.

I was testing at endgame which could have other chaotic stuff going on I forgot about. If anyone's in a position to confirm I'd appreciate it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

gandlethorpe posted:

The thing I miss the most is that you can't use the hammer as an active item anymore, so you actually have to heal status effects instead of just using it twice really fast

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm using Enlightened Kevin with Liege Duran. I use Kevin to toss Moon Saber on Duran who has Provoke to draw aggro, and then go to town with Kevin
Riesz provides stat down resistance, debuff enemies and summons Hexas for extra :hellyeah:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My Riesz/Duran/Angela party works well but actually it’s just Angela spamming infinite Lucent Beam+ at a boss. It’s kind of a bummer because Riesz is my favorite character to play as but Angela is infinitely stronger, and the AI is really bad at casting spells.

I kinda wish there was a difficulty above hard.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I decided to test Special Effect's "attack increased when enemy has status effect". When an enemy just had attack down (couldn't turn that off) Hawkeye did 100-150 damage with normal attacks. After poisioning it he did 150-200. So it looks like stat-downs don't count as status effect. That's supported by Retain boosting the duration of "status increase" (which I assume includes decreases since it's not a chain skill and on Hawkeye) but it raises questions why Hawkeye gets Special Effect in his Ninja Master line, the only status effect he gets there is from Toxic and he just gets the first rank of that.

I was testing at endgame which could have other chaotic stuff going on I forgot about. If anyone's in a position to confirm I'd appreciate it.

I noticed the same thing. Luckily toxic is easy to apply.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I'm pretty sure Retain makes stat boosts cast ON that character last longer, not stat boosts cast BY that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What even are the base durations of buffs/debuffs? And do the stats have any affect on them?