Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:siren:ALIEN ISOLATION IS 2 DOLLARS ON STEAM:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Huh having watched this movie since I was a kid I never noticed those chicken bones on Hudson’s head.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It's (what's his face? Drake's?) little charm thingie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah this thing.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What are the best DLC to get with it? Are they all worth it?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/IFeelSaferAlrdy/status/1254518346416037889

edit: me

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah this thing.

I think its funny enough that I remembered who it was standing over Hudson pinning his hand to the table, lol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

What are the best DLC to get with it? Are they all worth it?

double posting but the Nostromo one is worth it for the nostalgia factor alone, even if its short

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I get extremely anxious just watching let’s plays of it on youtube, actually playing it will never happen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I played it briefly and before I ever ran into an alien I stopped. Part of it was boredom but most of it was the anticipation. I almost wish something would have happened sooner to break the anxiety I was having for constantly expecting something to happen. I'll try it again sometime.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Aliens game in a VR arena with actual actors as aliens that can grab you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think that Alien Isolation is likely one of the most effective horror games ever. It has great atmosphere, environmental, graphic, and sound design, and the best movie monster ever made. You're stuck on a station with it, and you're actually helpless. You can avoid it, throw it off of your trail, or drive it away, but only temporarily. It will figure out what happened and it will come back, and next time it won't be so easily defeated by your BS. And if it catches you, you will die, and it will probably hurt while you're doing it.

I don't get scared by video games or movies, but it's still incredibly tense. And by the way, wear headphones - it really helps to be able to hear where the alien is when it's banging around in the vents or click-clacking along on the floor.

It loses a bit of its magic now that I've played the game so much and have memorized which chapters/zones/during which events the alien shows up in, but drat if it doesn't feel like you're being hunted the first time through.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shaocaholica posted:

Aliens game in a VR arena with actual actors as aliens that can grab you.

VR equipment is too expensive for the breakage that would occur when people rip the headsets off and tap out in a panic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Watching ‘Alien Covenant’ for Alien Day. Also, got this dude:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_d7Bb2hTBv/?igshid=1ts7u7jah91en

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Funny story: Alien Isolation did have VR originally that was disabled. I remember reading an early review where the person was hiding in a locker from the xeno. They start carefully peeking around trying to see if they can see the xeno through the slats on the door, lean their head too far forward, and the game has their head collide with the locker door with an audible thunk. The xeno spins a 180, tore the door off the hinge and ate the reviewer while they sat making GBS threads their pants in terror.

The fact that they put that little twist in kills me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My son who was like 2,5 years old at the time, wandered out of bed and into the living room where I was playing Isolation on the ps4, using a headset. Little did I know the microphone picked up any loud noises and translated them into the game, so as I was hiding in a locker from the alien, my son came over screaming daddy daddy!!! The microphone picked it up, the alien heard me and tore me out of the locker to murder me while I was fighting off a heart attack.

It's a great game.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Biplane posted:

My son who was like 2,5 years old at the time, wandered out of bed and into the living room where I was playing Isolation on the ps4, using a headset. Little did I know the microphone picked up any loud noises and translated them into the game, so as I was hiding in a locker from the alien, my son came over screaming daddy daddy!!! The microphone picked it up, the alien heard me and tore me out of the locker to murder me while I was fighting off a heart attack.

It's a great game.

Lol I was waiting for you to say your 2.5yr old was horribly traumatized viewing the death animation on the TV.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You kidding me? I'm the one with the trauma, he just wanted his stuffed animal hed lost (it was under the covers at the foot of the bed)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Biplane posted:

You kidding me? I'm the one with the trauma, he just wanted his stuffed animal hed lost (it was under the covers at the foot of the bed)

I’ve been desensitized to creature horror since maybe 12. Aliens on VHS was quite the trip when I was 8/9?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Didn't hold a candle to Event Horizon in that regard, for me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HiroProtagonist posted:

Didn't hold a candle to Event Horizon in that regard, for me.

Yeah it's very different on VHS vs in the theatre. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of those iconic 80s/90s movies in the theatre.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I've always wanted to play that, I just recently got a laptop that can run it. I'm a poor and I tend to have to wait for 5 or so years before I can play anything.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Man I feel a deep sense of foreboding and anxiety, just at the initial menu screen of that game, when the music starts.

I was thoroughly traumatized by seeing Alien in the theater at the age of ten, and to this day something about that film and the xenos in general is seriously disturbing. When I got Isolation, I used to play it in the dark with headphones on (and often slightly high) and there were times I'd have to pause and get up and walk around just to calm down.

Good times.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I picked up Colonial Marines because I read some reviews that said you can mod the game to fix the terrible AI and graphical issues. $5.99 for all the DLC was tough to pass up, even if it's only half-way playable. Anyone try these mods at all?

Edit: got an hour or so into the game and so far it's ...sorta fun? Who knew that when I cancelled my preorder on launch day back in 2013 that 7 years later I would be playing a functional version? Truly magical.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 28, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Bloopsy posted:

I picked up Colonial Marines because I read some reviews that said you can mod the game to fix the terrible AI and graphical issues. $5.99 for all the DLC was tough to pass up, even if it's only half-way playable. Anyone try these mods at all?

Edit: got an hour or so into the game and so far it's ...sorta fun? Who knew that when I cancelled my preorder on launch day back in 2013 that 7 years later I would be playing a functional version? Truly magical.

Ooh-rah to my rear end in a top hat, Colonial Marines.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The AI fix involves correcting a typo.

So

quote:

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTeather

Would be

quote:

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTether

Randy Pitchford was too busy being an all-around sleazebag to notice it I guess.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Apparently at an art gallery.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Could be a Giger exhibit, the first painting on the left looks like his work and I'm almost positive that Alien on the wall is his (rejected) design for 'Alien3'.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Alien is coming up soon on the Windows Movie House stream, come watch it and chat with goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920085

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Apparently at an art gallery.

that owns

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Alien: Isolation is the scariest game that I've played. As was previously mentioned, you're basically helpless against this relentless murder machine. In Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc, you at least have a fighting chance against the monsters. The xenomorph gives no fucks about your futile attempts at fighting back. You can distract it, by throwing noise-makers or flashbangs in one direction, and going the other way. Except it will eventually figure out that you're never where the noise is, so it stops following the explosions. You can use a flamethrower to drive it away from you, at least for a few moments. But then it takes more and more fire to make it back down, and fuel goes fast. No hiding spot is perfect, it will eventually sniff you out, even if you don't move a muscle or make a sound. Guns? Ha. You fire off a gun, you're basically just ringing the dinner bell.

This game really makes you feel what it's like to be hunted, and to be helpless before the hunter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Alien: Isolation is the scariest game that I've played. As was previously mentioned, you're basically helpless against this relentless murder machine. In Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc, you at least have a fighting chance against the monsters. The xenomorph gives no fucks about your futile attempts at fighting back. You can distract it, by throwing noise-makers or flashbangs in one direction, and going the other way. Except it will eventually figure out that you're never where the noise is, so it stops following the explosions. You can use a flamethrower to drive it away from you, at least for a few moments. But then it takes more and more fire to make it back down, and fuel goes fast. No hiding spot is perfect, it will eventually sniff you out, even if you don't move a muscle or make a sound. Guns? Ha. You fire off a gun, you're basically just ringing the dinner bell.

This game really makes you feel what it's like to be hunted, and to be helpless before the hunter.

Agreed. I can't count the number of times I screamed out loud playing that thing. It was a smart idea to include the working joe's in order to give you something to fight and mix up the game play. loving game really nailed the atmosphere and made great use of sound.

I'd love a sequel and also for the developers to apply the formula to some other franchises (Terminator comes to mind. Or maybe something like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St. or Halloween).

It's a bit long and I never finished it. Went to reinstall it a few weeks ago since I thought it'd make a good quarantine game but turns out I must have sold it. :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Friday the 13th game isn't anywhere near as scary as Alien: Isolation but it's easily the ultimate game that franchise will ever get, even if bullshit rights issues forced the devs to stop DLC and the Jason X content. Kane Hodder does the mocap, Tom Savini designed a "Jason from Hell" design. A few of the old actors consented to give their likeness. The maps are varied and filled with fanservice. Even in its neutered state it's worth a bargain buy:

Illfonic, the devs, just released that Predator: Hunting Grounds game which looks... it looks like it has a lot of the same general advantages of their Friday the 13th game but the commando gunplay looks really unexciting. Can anyone confirm?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. I can't count the number of times I screamed out loud playing that thing. It was a smart idea to include the working joe's in order to give you something to fight and mix up the game play. loving game really nailed the atmosphere and made great use of sound.

I might be in the minority but the Working Joes creeped me out even more than the xeno. The first time I saw one, I figured "heh, clunky stealth game enemies." I snuck up behind one and smashed it in the back of the head with a wrench, expecting your standard stealth takedown.

Instead he spun around spewing milky fluid, slammed me into the wall and snapped my neck while calmly telling me to calm down, I was behaving irrationally.

gently caress.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I gotta come up with a session for my players to follow the Predators one and I'm thinking something more prosaic with corporate intrigue and maybe some combat with mercs or synths. I have exactly 8 hours to have an outline. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just copy the plot of Blade Runner. Don’t even bother disguising it, but vehemently deny it if your players call you out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Just copy the plot of Blade Runner. Don’t even bother disguising it, but vehemently deny it if your players call you out.

One of the players' backgrounds is they are a synth "salvaged" from the hulk of a WY transit vessel that was lost with all hands that WY offered a handsome recovery fee for but were rebuffed by the crew. I had thought about doing a weird reverso Measure of a Man plot where the corporation tried the novel legal tactic of arguing her personhood to make it not a salvage but a rescue, and concurrently her indenture to the corp but that doesn't seem like it would translate well to tabletop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aliens has the Vietnam analogy all the way down for every fight scene in the movies the Marines are on the defensive while Aliens are the attackers / manage to surprise the space marines.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Critical support for the Xenomorph Librration Front in their struggle against USCMC imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

BR is also in the Alien universe so not a stretch.

I had the idea of a bait-and-switch scenario where the player group responds to a colony that has gone dark. They arrive to find the colony falling apart, practically under siege from unseen forces.

The players encounter these insurgents that are extremely capable and also look extremely similar, like twins.

Turns out the planet houses an old military-grade replicant production facility owned by a company called Wallace Corporation, long defunct, that the replicants took over a long time ago, and keep operating, trying to live in peace but these pesky colonists keep bothering them

You could get Weyland Yutani involved too, maybe with Wallace Corp having been acquired by WY decades/a century ago and they try to assert ownership of the facility.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 29, 2020