Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

titty fat pizza posted:

I disagree. Joel is the game. The original would not have been anywhere close to as good as it was without him. Joel redeemed himself through Ellie and now that and everything else they went through in part one means gently caress all. Playing as his killer for half of the game is the stupidest twist in any game ever. gently caress everything about it.

Joel didnt redeem himself. In fact he got worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

*shoots group of people about to kill a kid*

Actually, why did no one ask whether or not the kid wanted to die? :smug:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Extreme pragmatism is not a good luck dude

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

The fireflies sucked and killing them was pretty cool and good :shrug:

from joels perspective they are going to find a cure from ellie and he is acting purely out of self interest, and not only that he is doing it because of his own cowardice in continuing to take her to them for what he knew was going to happen. then compounded on him massacring everyone in there, he refuses to even take a possible step towards any sort of redemption in his character by just lying to ellie when she already knew the truth and just wanted him to say it. he sucks and its good he dies in 2 regardless of anything else.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The fireflies were so comically villainous and stupid I don't know why anyone would feel anything for any of them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joel did not "redeem" himself.

The decision he made was 100% his own. Any after the fact justification doesn't change the fact he would have made the same decision even if it was a 100% success rate.

He is an unrepentant murderer who puts himself and his family above *Anything* else. And that is fine! It makes him a plausible character. A lot of people were onboard the "gently caress anyone who isn't Ellie" train. It doesn't change the fact he made the decision for himself as much as her which is why he has to lie about it in the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wait, people in this thread still think the first game was good? I thought TLOU was like Avatar, where everyone who loved it kind of quietly realized it was really not that good and had really awful themes in hindsight.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
It is possible to empathize with Joel while also thinking he is a gigantic violent rear end in a top hat.

... Which is why it makes no loving sense putting you into Abby’s character after killing him, since it’s a perfect opportunity of framing him in a far different light.

But I guess I didn’t win many Game Awards

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lurdiak posted:

Wait, people in this thread still think the first game was good? I thought TLOU was like Avatar, where everyone who loved it kind of quietly realized it was really not that good and had really awful themes in hindsight.

No, you're thinking of Bioshock Infiinite. The only complaints about TLOU that seem to stick are just based on being tired of apocalypse stories in general, which seems to the bulk of the complaints about the sequel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stux posted:

from joels perspective they are going to find a cure from ellie and he is acting purely out of self interest, and not only that he is doing it because of his own cowardice in continuing to take her to them for what he knew was going to happen. then compounded on him massacring everyone in there, he refuses to even take a possible step towards any sort of redemption in his character by just lying to ellie when she already knew the truth and just wanted him to say it. he sucks and its good he dies in 2 regardless of anything else.

This is why I have been a firm believer in the "Joel is Dead" theory since the reveal trailer (I was never joking about this) and the earlier he dies in LoU2 the better

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Wnvvj33Wo
Galaxy brains knew Joel was Dead

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

TLOU actually had multiple endings, but no one saw the other ones because it just turns out "save your kid" vs "kill your kid, some other people might not die now" isn't much of a trolley problem outside of Philosophy 101.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone make a meme picture of CRUNCH with Abby breaking Joels head with a golf club and NO CRUNCH with the animal crossing villagers harmlessly bouncing off each other with axes and shovels.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FallenGod posted:

TLOU actually had multiple endings, but no one saw the other ones because it just turns out "save your kid" vs "kill your kid, some other people might not die now" isn't much of a trolley problem outside of Philosophy 101.

much like life is strange

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

ImpAtom posted:

Joel did not "redeem" himself.

The decision he made was 100% his own. Any after the fact justification doesn't change the fact he would have made the same decision even if it was a 100% success rate.

He is an unrepentant murderer who puts himself and his family above *Anything* else. And that is fine! It makes him a plausible character. A lot of people were onboard the "gently caress anyone who isn't Ellie" train. It doesn't change the fact he made the decision for himself as much as her which is why he has to lie about it in the end.

The reason why you're getting this reaction is because the fireflies are terrible assholes and the developer was dumb enough to put a collectible in that says these guys don't what they're doing

Like that collectible fucks up the entire theme they were going for

edit: Not to mention you're killing people proven to be immune on the chances to save your own rear end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

The reason why you're getting this reaction is because the fireflies are terrible assholes and the developer was dumb enough to put a collectible in that says these guys don't what they're doing

this might shock you but that doesnt change anything about joels character or what he did and his motivations for it :ssh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
make a gamer stare at some guy's back for ten hours and they'll bend their brains into pretzels for his sake

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

The collectible doesn't even say that. At best it says they're not 100% sure it will succeed.

I feel like people went from "it wasn't a sure success and thus isn't worth Ellie's life" to "Actually it had a 100% chance to FAIL" which wasn't something the game ever said either.

It also has nothing to do with Joel's motivations. Joel has no idea what the Firefly's chance of success is when he decides to start murdering people.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actually becoming very clear why tlou2 might end up being far more obvious and literal than 1 already was

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Stux posted:

this might shock you but that doesnt change anything about joels character or what he did and his motivations for it :ssh:

It changes how the player views sacrificing Ellie which is going to make the player go " Ellie would've died for nothing so it's good he didn't" because they like Ellie. It makes you agree with Joel even though for the narrative to work they need to see how this has nothing to do with that.

It's bad writing and was a mistake

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

TLOU is already super obvious, it's just kinda dumb.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

It changes how the player views sacrificing Ellie which is going to make the player go " Ellie would've died for nothing so it's good he didn't" because they like Ellie. It makes you agree with Joel even though for the narrative to work they need to see how this has nothing to do with that.

ImpAtom posted:

The collectible doesn't even say that. At best it says they're not 100% sure it will succeed.

I feel like people went from "it wasn't a sure success and thus isn't worth Ellie's life" to "Actually it had a 100% chance to FAIL" which wasn't something the game ever said either.

It also has nothing to do with Joel's motivations. Joel has no idea what the Firefly's chance of success is when he decides to start murdering people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

And again it doesn't say that. People expand it into "actually they knew NOTHING!!!" because that way the choice is 100% justified and has no ambiguity at all.

I also suspect that TLOU2 is going to retcon it so there was a 100% chance of success (or at least Abby has good reason to feel that way) which will transform her quest from "Killing that guy who killed my dad" to "Killing that guy who killed my dad and doomed the world" because ~thematic opposites~

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^^^ Ha, I didn't even consider that as part of her motivation. If she's a true believer in what they were going for it makes even more sense.

SirKibbles posted:

Like that collectible fucks up the entire theme they were going for

edit: Not to mention you're killing people proven to be immune on the chances to save your own rear end.

I mean, that sounds like a personal problem. I got that collectible too and I'm entirely OK with Joel getting head-clubbed, because he's a monster in a world of monsters. No hang-ups here, never thought it hosed up anything.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thank god naughty dog is going to punish the bad fans for liking and sympathizing with the character they wrote

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

thank god naughty dog is going to punish the bad fans for liking and sympathizing with the character they wrote

this but unironically is now my position

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

tlou2 is bad because your brain was stupid

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The collectible shouldn't exist at all like why introduce that doubt into the plot? I don't think Joel is a good person or he doesn't deserve whatever comes to him. But I can see why players would because the writing team did a bad job at this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brother Entropy posted:

:yeah:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SirKibbles posted:

The collectible shouldn't exist at all like why introduce that doubt into the plot?

Because video games are idiot tier garbage for lovely babies, OR because ambiguity is interesting. Take your pick, depending on personal preference.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

tlou2 is bad because your brain was stupid

actually my brain was smart for not paying money for tlou and waiting for it to hit ps+

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

titty fat pizza posted:

Joel redeemed himself through Ellie

What the

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also im relatively certain that the actual content of it is insanely hopeful that it will actually work and that its a breakthrough

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Because video games are idiot tier garbage for lovely babies, OR because ambiguity is interesting. Take your pick, depending on personal preference.

The fact that the writers think that is ambiguous is why they are bad writers, the player is already inclined towards save Ellie don't put your thumb on that part of the scale more.

edit : I just realized the actual gameplay could just be garbage

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

also im relatively certain that the actual content of it is insanely hopeful that it will actually work and that its a breakthrough

pretty much

quote:

April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.

they had false starts because no poo poo they did, but their reaction to ellie was "holy gently caress this is exactly what we've been waiting for all this time"

not that it matters in the end, of course

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Actually, I killed my child to save the whole world, it was quite the moral dilemma and I really had to think on that one

*turns into a cloud of farts and huffs himself*

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The fireflies sucked even before the collectible, that just made it even more worthwhile to run and gun them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SirKibbles posted:

The collectible shouldn't exist at all like why introduce that doubt into the plot? I don't think Joel is a good person or he doesn't deserve whatever comes to him. But I can see why players would because the writing team did a bad job at this.

I mean, why introduce what they did in the Blade Runner movie Director's cut?

I have always thought Joel was a piece of poo poo, even despite what he did for Ellie, but that goes a bit deeper to outside of the game because there are plenty of these assholes in real life that I have come across.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
TLOU wanted to be a movie so bad that it fails as a game because we cant control Joel or Ellie`s action regarding the final act. Of course i would have shot the doc and saved her but what if:
a) We let the fireflies go with their plan and it works?
b) those loving idiots kill a girl for nothing

Thats more interesting to me that what we got because it wasnt a game it was Durkmann story.

Also speaking of movies i really liked Maggie and i think its a better story than TLOU.

This scene is really sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N4KPkoJf6c

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Killing a character off isn't meant to be punishment. If done poorly (and TLOU2 has a good chance of being done poorly) it can upset people for the wrong reasons but it isn't to punish players. The viewpoint of "you're killing the character I like as a slight to me" isn't generally one backed up unless you get an author who is so sick of being asked to write a character they just want them to go over a waterfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

pretty much

they had false starts because no poo poo they did, but their reaction to ellie was "holy gently caress this is exactly what we've been waiting for all this time"

not that it matters in the end, of course

lol